The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 January 2020, 09:56 AM   #1
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Icon4 the Coronavirus outbreak thread

I searched and did not locate an existing thread about this, beyond those essentially asking “will this outbreak get me a Daytona quicker?” J/K. Sort of.

Anyway, I figure it’s high time for a thread. This evening’s development:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/28/whit...-outbreak.html
Old 29 January 2020, 10:19 AM   #2
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=721721

No there isn’t a thread on this buddy
Old 29 January 2020, 10:31 AM   #3
Fat_ninja
Banned

John Hopkins has a dashboard updated daily

Old 29 January 2020, 10:44 AM   #4
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Reuters update

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1ZR0CF
Old 29 January 2020, 11:39 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I really hope they're able to up the current efforts and try prevent the spread of this virus. With conformed cases in Canada it opened my eyes. I'm always using lysol wipes, frequently washing my hands, avoid touching my face, etc anyway.
Old 29 January 2020, 12:27 PM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The number of infected people has gone up exponentially over the past few days. Here is a graph showing comparison between Wuhan virus and SARS.
ggVLpmQ_d.jpg

I have read a Xinhua report that this virus is transmitted mainly through air droplets, but touching can also spread the virus.
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._138739435.htm
Old 29 January 2020, 12:33 PM   #7
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
The number of infected people has gone up exponentially over the past few days. Here is a graph showing comparison between Wuhan virus and SARS.
Attachment 1105392

I have read a Xinhua report that this virus is transmitted mainly through air droplets, but touching can also spread the virus.
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._138739435.htm
It’s accellerating
Old 29 January 2020, 12:47 PM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
It’s accellerating
Yep, the yellow vertical line is disturbing. I wish all those infected people speedy recovery.
Old 29 January 2020, 12:50 PM   #9
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Am I the only one not worried??
Old 29 January 2020, 12:52 PM   #10
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Am I the only one not worried??
Easy to say from the USA. Put yourself in their shoes.
Old 29 January 2020, 01:01 PM   #11
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I’m not worried about it living in US. The scary thing is how fast it’s spreading and the amount of people that affected by it. The idea of how fast it’s spreading over several continents is insane. A virus like this could potentially wipe out millions of people world wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29 January 2020, 02:25 PM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

The concern is two fold. First, any virus with a 3% mortality rate is a bear. Despite this, the overall impact it will have on hospital capacity is most likely what motivated the China quarantine. A very high number of infected patients develop pneumonia. Consequently, this can easily overwhelm the medical resources of any community.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 29 January 2020, 03:08 PM   #13
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Here is another info graphic tracking coronavirus. I’ve previously posted this, but it warrants reposting

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 29 January 2020, 03:11 PM   #14
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

1/27 ~12:00noon ET: ~2600 cases, 80 deaths.
1/28 ~4600 cases, 107 deaths
1/29 ~midnight ET: ~6000 cases, 132 deaths

It’s really picking up pace.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 29 January 2020, 06:05 PM   #15
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

The mortality rate is in line with the influenza death rate in China (around 1.6-2.6%). There are currently around 1.2 billion people in China; that there currently just over 6,000 cases is statistically irrelevant. People should be concerned, but as of right now there is an overreaction. That it is Spring Festival made the situation worse. Arguably this is why the Chinese government imposed a lockdown on Wuhan etc. There will be a lot more cases and deaths (just like any major flu outbreak), but right now the level of paranoia and fear is quite breathtaking.
Old 29 January 2020, 10:24 PM   #16
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
+1 to MikeMike

Google tells me there are 3,287 automobile deaths per year in the world. Why aren't we freaking out about that? Right because we are used to it. No longer news.

News is sensational, we all love a good story. Fear and anxiety sell newspaper and people click articles.

Concern, yes, but let's keep things in perspective.
Old 29 January 2020, 10:25 PM   #17
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The mortality rate is in line with the influenza death rate in China (around 1.6-2.6%). There are currently around 1.2 billion people in China; that there currently just over 6,000 cases is statistically irrelevant. People should be concerned, but as of right now there is an overreaction. That it is Spring Festival made the situation worse. Arguably this is why the Chinese government imposed a lockdown on Wuhan etc. There will be a lot more cases and deaths (just like any major flu outbreak), but right now the level of paranoia and fear is quite breathtaking.
Mortality rate is lower but incubation period is longer. Also there is a 2-3 contagion risk per person. Not to mention the hospitals being overloaded. Problem is the size is not known.

My personal view is the case load will spike much more. The estimates are significantly above what the current reported cases sre
Old 29 January 2020, 11:09 PM   #18
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Mortality rate is lower but incubation period is longer. Also there is a 2-3 contagion risk per person. Not to mention the hospitals being overloaded. Problem is the size is not known.

My personal view is the case load will spike much more. The estimates are significantly above what the current reported cases sre
The contagion rate is still open to debate. People are just trying to make educated guesses at this point. Hospitals are being overloaded in certain cities (I would not want to be in Wuhan). For most large cities it is business as usual in hospitals. The number of infections will spike a lot more, but if the death rate is in line with the normal flu (so far that seems to be the situation; may well change). If this remains the same it will end up being like a bad flu outbreak, but with less infections and deaths due to the measures being taken by the Chinese government.
Old 29 January 2020, 11:44 PM   #19
3 Putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I live 700 km from Wuhan. My company is making me leave until things stabilize. So I will return to the US until China stabilizes. I can tell you, my city of 10 million people seems deserted. Not a single person outside walking. The subway is operating only 20% of the time and busses are just about empty. Anybody that has been to China knows this never happens.

Shanghai airport was empty yesterday when I returned to China from Singapore. Very few cars on the road and road blocks set up along highways to take passenger temperatures. The place is now intimidating and I don't scare easy.

Those of you trying to compare mortality rates with auto accidents or the flu are missing the point. Of the 7,000 cases reported (and probably double or triple that in actuality as the Chinese government is not always honest), only about 150 people have been cured. Cured meaning they have beaten the virus. The rest are still suffering through the painful symptoms. While this will not likely be as bad as SARS, it will affect a lot more people than those in China.
Old 29 January 2020, 11:57 PM   #20
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
+1 to MikeMike

Google tells me there are 3,287 automobile deaths per year in the world. Why aren't we freaking out about that? Right because we are used to it. No longer news.

News is sensational, we all love a good story. Fear and anxiety sell newspaper and people click articles.

I know that it was just a typo on your part, but for the benefit of anybody reading, that’s 3287 car accident deaths per day or > 1 million per year. 12000 Americans die annually falling down the stairs but most people remain unafflicted by bathmophobia.

I absolutely accept the seriousness of the situation and the potential for it to become a big problem, however the current reporting of it in countries like the U.K. and USA is entirely disproportionate and designed purely to instil fear in the public for the purpose of driving sales/views/clicks, as pointed out above. The same phenomenon resulted in unwarranted hysteria about (admittedly far less easily transmitted) Ebola.
Old 30 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #21
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I know that it was just a typo on your part, but for the benefit of anybody reading, that’s 3287 car accident deaths per day or > 1 million per year. 12000 Americans die annually falling down the stairs but most people remain unafflicted by bathmophobia.

I absolutely accept the seriousness of the situation and the potential for it to become a big problem, however the current reporting of it in countries like the U.K. and USA is entirely disproportionate and designed purely to instil fear in the public for the purpose of driving sales/views/clicks, as pointed out above. The same phenomenon resulted in unwarranted hysteria about (admittedly far less easily transmitted) Ebola.
I agree 100%. Not about the stats (I don’t disagree, I just haven’t researched it myself), but rather about the hysteria.
Old 30 January 2020, 12:33 AM   #22
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Putt View Post
I live 700 km from Wuhan. My company is making me leave until things stabilize. So I will return to the US until China stabilizes. I can tell you, my city of 10 million people seems deserted. Not a single person outside walking. The subway is operating only 20% of the time and busses are just about empty. Anybody that has been to China knows this never happens.

Shanghai airport was empty yesterday when I returned to China from Singapore. Very few cars on the road and road blocks set up along highways to take passenger temperatures. The place is now intimidating and I don't scare easy.

Those of you trying to compare mortality rates with auto accidents or the flu are missing the point. Of the 7,000 cases reported (and probably double or triple that in actuality as the Chinese government is not always honest), only about 150 people have been cured. Cured meaning they have beaten the virus. The rest are still suffering through the painful symptoms. While this will not likely be as bad as SARS, it will affect a lot more people than those in China.
I live in China. Have lived here for over a decade. Luckily not close to Wuhan. You can compare mortality rates because the Coronavirus is a flu virus. The streets are relatively empty, part of that is because it is Spring Festival. And there is fear and paranoia amongst all. No one wants to get sick. As for the supposedly lack of people being cured, the normal flu takes at least a week to recover from and undoubtedly hospitals are being extra-cautious. Things could get a lot worse (virus could mutate, much greater mortality rate), but right now there is a clear overreaction even if the Chinese government are lying about the figures (although I don’t believe they are).

Oh, not that it matters but I have been on plenty of empty buses and there are people walking outside in this city of over 10 million.
Old 30 January 2020, 12:51 AM   #23
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
+1 to MikeMike

Eh what? In the world? LOL. Not even close. You mean per day.
Old 30 January 2020, 12:58 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticsub View Post
Eh what? In the world? LOL. Not even close. You mean per day.
That would be a great accomplishment if we can get it to that number
Old 30 January 2020, 01:01 AM   #25
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I guess the most concerning part of this whole situation is no one really knows how bad the current situation is. Chinese government controls all the information flow and they have historically been...deceiving. So far we do know they quarantined 50 million people, something that’s completely unprecedented. That in itself is alarming. Also, if the incubation period is 2 weeks and millions fled wuhan prior to the lockdown...oh boy
Old 30 January 2020, 01:36 AM   #26
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I guess the most concerning part of this whole situation is no one really knows how bad the current situation is. Chinese government controls all the information flow and they have historically been...deceiving. So far we do know they quarantined 50 million people, something that’s completely unprecedented. That in itself is alarming. Also, if the incubation period is 2 weeks and millions fled wuhan prior to the lockdown...oh boy
The initial Government response is always to cover it up and pretend it isn't hapening until it gets so bad thay can't hide it any more. We saw this with SARS.

Its likely far worse than is being admitted even now, and with such a long incubation period it has probably already spread further than is being reported (or actually known) too.
Old 30 January 2020, 01:57 AM   #27
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
millions fled wuhan prior to the lockdown...oh boy
You mean millions left Wuhan and returned to their home cities prior to the start of Chinese New Year. In other words, a totally normal occurrence. Millions did not flee the city because of the virus.
Old 30 January 2020, 02:29 AM   #28
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Sorry for my typo and appreciate the correction for those who correctly called it out!
Old 30 January 2020, 02:42 AM   #29
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
You mean millions left Wuhan and returned to their home cities prior to the start of Chinese New Year. In other words, a totally normal occurrence. Millions did not flee the city because of the virus.

Correct.
Old 30 January 2020, 02:45 AM   #30
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That would be a great accomplishment if we can get it to that number
My thoughts too. Wouldn't that be awesome. Who knows, maybe in 50 years.
Closed Thread