The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 6 March 2020, 02:24 PM   #931
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy3 View Post
I went to target to pick up some stuff and lysol was completely gone.

I Lysol wiped my client site work area today before sitting down. Other people were walking around with napkins to open doors, definitely starting to feel a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 March 2020, 02:52 PM   #932
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
I don't know anyone personally who has or has had the Convid-19 but right now, may have been exposed due to colleagues who went to Italy and came back.
At the time they came back the Massachusettess Department of Public Health did not have the mandatory 14 Day self-quarantine in place.
This just took affect yesterday. Too little too late. In a situation like this, who do you blame?
No symptoms, no one thinks anything about.
I have no symptoms, some do, but seems to be regular flu like symptoms. The Convid is more respiratory.
I live on the east coast and seems to be more prevalent on the west.
It is kind of upsetting to say the least, just thinking of all those if I was to be infected, I came into contact with and whom I may have unknowingly exposed it too.
Again I think I am fine as well as my colleagues.
It is a thought that lingers though subconsciously for sure.
I personally think it is unfair to point and or call out an entire race.
I would just like to see just who and or what was responsible.
In the mean time I think this will be around for a while.
Wash your hands and do not touch your face.
I imagine the Inovio scientists are on this trying to come up with a vaccine. They got the SARS vaccine in 3 hours and had it manufactured in about a month.

P.S. The media is not helping at all.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I apologise, I wasn’t blaming Italy at all, just saying that if it’s a hotspot we should be checking and looking after those who are coming back.

I wasn't directing my post at you.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 6 March 2020, 03:16 PM   #933
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Whether the virus is overblown by the media or not, there definitely will be economic ramifications. Conventions are being cancelled. Business flights are restricted. Etc. etc. And this is just in my industry. I imagine it’s the same across many others.

Old 6 March 2020, 03:58 PM   #934
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubshack View Post
Whether the virus is overblown by the media or not, there definitely will be economic ramifications. Conventions are being cancelled. Business flights are restricted. Etc. etc. And this is just in my industry. I imagine it’s the same across many others.

I was talking to some colleagues about this today and the general thought is, if the spread of this virus does indeed last an extended period of time and cause cancellations of numerous conventions, that might be a nail in the coffin for many of them.

Companies will realize they aren’t necessary (like Basel) and they are for the most part antiquated. Even going to an “office” is being questioned as being necessary anymore...as long as it’s not DOD Top Secret stuff, just work out of home on a VPN...no more timewasting commutes and need to support an office like in the “olden” days...

Some Old time employees love conventions as it gives them time away from the family and they can get absolutely hammered every night and act like they did at their frat, but it seems the younger employees really couldn’t care less about them. Just do a quick teleconference dealio and get on with it. So wasteful! Time will tell of course.
Old 6 March 2020, 04:04 PM   #935
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

No question about it.
Old 6 March 2020, 05:18 PM   #936
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
It definitely took some time to blow up in the media... It slowly gained momentum and now it's at full speed.

Infections are increasing in Europe. Slowing in Asia. Let's see what number we will hit. I believe 250,000 until the warm weather is upon us, effectively killing the virus.

When the winter comes along it (or another strain) will pop up again and the cycle continues.
Old 6 March 2020, 08:05 PM   #937
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OK, you are rapidly becoming one of my favorite people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
I Lysol wiped my client site work area today before sitting down. Other people were walking around with napkins to open doors, definitely starting to feel a change.

I don’t think you should tell those people that none of those things are going to help. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

Quote:

And that’s a shame. If the stock market continues doing what it’s doing millions of people will lose their jobs and I predict we will lose more people to suicide then we will this virus. Economic depression causes many deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I was talking to some colleagues about this today and the general thought is, if the spread of this virus does indeed last an extended period of time and cause cancellations of numerous conventions, that might be a nail in the coffin for many of them.

Companies will realize they aren’t necessary (like Basel) and they are for the most part antiquated. Even going to an “office” is being questioned as being necessary anymore...as long as it’s not DOD Top Secret stuff, just work out of home on a VPN...no more timewasting commutes and need to support an office like in the “olden” days...

Some Old time employees love conventions as it gives them time away from the family and they can get absolutely hammered every night and act like they did at their frat, but it seems the younger employees really couldn’t care less about them. Just do a quick teleconference dealio and get on with it. So wasteful! Time will tell of course.
Great point. I’m in the HVAC industry. We just had our worldwide convention in Orlando one month ago. 80,000 people showed up from all over the world including China. I have to agree with you about the younger generations feelings towards conventions. They’re just not into it. However I don’t think they will be canceling this convention anytime soon even though I have doubts as to how much progress/ sales is made at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
It definitely took some time to blow up in the media... It slowly gained momentum and now it's at full speed.

Infections are increasing in Europe. Slowing in Asia. Let's see what number we will hit. I believe 250,000 until the warm weather is upon us, effectively killing the virus.

When the winter comes along it (or another strain) will pop up again and the cycle continues.
So do you think the news media will flip out all over again next year when the virus makes a come back because it will make a come back? I don’t think they will. Next year won’t be as important as this year to make a big deal out of it. Besides there’s a possibility the media will have a vested interest in making the economy do well next year.

Meanwhile from everything we see is absolutely zero reason to overreact and be fearful at this point. Pay attention? Yes. Take precautions like personal hygiene? Yes, but we should already be doing that because of the flu and other viruses and I personally have. Live in fear, completely change our lifestyle, sell off all our stock and clear the shelves of toilet paper in Costco??? Of course not. Right now in my opinion the only people that should be considering changing their lifestyle would be the elderly or people with health problems. If I were in that category I would definitely alter where I went for a while and be more cautious until the season has passed. My mother is one of those people who has COPD at the age of 78 and she does that anyway every year during flu season.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 6 March 2020, 09:19 PM   #938
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
So do you think the news media will flip out all over again next year when the virus makes a come back because it will make a come back? I don’t think they will. Next year won’t be as important as this year to make a big deal out of it. Besides there’s a possibility the media will have a vested interest in making the economy do well next year.

Meanwhile from everything we see is absolutely zero reason to overreact and be fearful at this point. Pay attention? Yes. Take precautions like personal hygiene? Yes, but we should already be doing that because of the flu and other viruses and I personally have. Live in fear, completely change our lifestyle, sell off all our stock and clear the shelves of toilet paper in Costco??? Of course not. Right now in my opinion the only people that should be considering changing their lifestyle would be the elderly or people with health problems. If I were in that category I would definitely alter where I went for a while and be more cautious until the season has passed. My mother is one of those people who has COPD at the age of 78 and she does that anyway every year during flu season.
Depends if there's something bigger and better to write about.

Let's hope Covid19 is dead forever just like SARS, but I have a feeling it may linger around for the next seasonal flu...Or a modification of the current one.

It's just a lesson to wash our hands after we stand there and take a pee-pee. I've seen many people walk out without washing their hands
Old 6 March 2020, 09:27 PM   #939
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Have our immune systems become weaker due to being overly sanitary? Not sure just thinking out loud

Old 6 March 2020, 09:40 PM   #940
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have our immune systems become weaker due to being overly sanitary? Not sure just thinking out loud
I think it's more of a case of some people in the world eating cats, dogs, pangolins, civets, bats, snakes, toads, rats, mice and various other things.... some of which are actually eaten alive.

It would be nice to think they might reflect on how these bizarre and barbaric habits are linked to their economy tanking.
Old 6 March 2020, 10:53 PM   #941
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

The number of people who express more concern about the US stock market than Coronavirus is staggering. We’ve gone off the deep end as a nation when we value money over people as a blanket statement. Seems folks have been there for awhile and this situation is just bring it to light.

“The world is going through a mean streak” - envuks ‘ mother quote from last weekend.

I hope we can pull ourselves together as a people.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 6 March 2020, 10:54 PM   #942
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not weaker, but rather undeveloped. I believe that's what you're asking, so yes, kind of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post

Anyone noticed how quickly we've forgotten abut the "biggest measles outbreak in 70 years?" which was filling the news just months ago?
Old 6 March 2020, 11:05 PM   #943
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I’m just curious as to what level of death, illness and economic disruption is worthy of being considered a real problem? Worthy of time in a news cycle? How many deaths from a new virulent organism lifts the epidemic to legitimate news status? How many factories shut down? And it seems that the fact that the elderly are more hard hit by the infection somehow lessens the impact. At least it’s only older people dying.
Old 6 March 2020, 11:14 PM   #944
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
And it seems that the fact that the elderly are more hard hit by the infection somehow lessens the impact. At least it’s only older people dying.
We don't like to think of it in those terms because we all have loved ones in those age groups, but there is definitely some validity to it. If you look at some of the data, the Coronavirus is getting credit for killing people who have already lived past their life expectancy.
Old 6 March 2020, 11:19 PM   #945
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
I think the whole thing is overblown.
I'm pretty sure the people that died didn't think it was "overblown".
Old 6 March 2020, 11:33 PM   #946
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I’m just curious as to what level of death, illness and economic disruption is worthy of being considered a real problem? Worthy of time in a news cycle? How many deaths from a new virulent organism lifts the epidemic to legitimate news status? How many factories shut down? And it seems that the fact that the elderly are more hard hit by the infection somehow lessens the impact. At least it’s only older people dying.
Seems the litmus test is the seasonal flu’s metrics, so until COVID-19 hits thousands dead...millions in hospitals...will the ”it’s still not as bad as the flu” goes away.

The “evidence-based” approach, is too reactive from my perspective.

That said, I am a nervous, anxious germaphobe, hypochondriac, open the bathroom door with towels, elbow elevator buttons, non-hugger, anti-bacteria type of guy.
Old 6 March 2020, 11:35 PM   #947
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
I'm pretty sure the people that died didn't think it was "overblown".
Many were old or had other severe complications. The death rate stats are pretty low.

1-9 0%
10-19 0.2%
20-29 0.2%
30-39 0.2%
40-49 0.4%
50-59 1.3%
60-69 3.6%
70-79 8%
80+ 14%
Old 6 March 2020, 11:39 PM   #948
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
The number of people who express more concern about the US stock market than Coronavirus is staggering. We’ve gone off the deep end as a nation when we value money over people as a blanket statement. Seems folks have been there for awhile and this situation is just bring it to light.

“The world is going through a mean streak” - envuks ‘ mother quote from last weekend.

I think your mother made a very true observation.

If I may add an observation of my own...
The entire World is negatively impacted by the economic upheaval (some into bankruptcy or unemployment).

However, many fewer will contract COVID-19 and just a small percentage of them will lose their lives.

Therefore, it’s natural to hear a lot about the economics - it’s fear being projected in both cases, but everyone gets hurt to some degree either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 6 March 2020, 11:53 PM   #949
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Many were old or had other severe complications. The death rate stats are pretty low.

1-9 0%
10-19 0.2%
20-29 0.2%
30-39 0.2%
40-49 0.4%
50-59 1.3%
60-69 3.6%
70-79 8%
80+ 14%
A 3.4% death rate is not low. That's 30 million people dead or 1/10th of the US population.
Old 6 March 2020, 11:59 PM   #950
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
A 3.4% death rate is not low. That's 30 million people dead or 1/10th of the US population.

While I agree it isn’t low, the 3.4% isn’t likely true because many people will contract the virus yet will never be treated for it . How many people a year get the flu and never go to the ER / doc/ urgent care ....The mortality rate is much higher than the regular flu w covid19 but the 3.4% is most likely way too high if one were to look at the whole pie.
Old 7 March 2020, 12:11 AM   #951
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Mike Pompeo accuses China of set back coronavirus prevention efforts

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/secr...pyToPasteboard

Old 7 March 2020, 12:20 AM   #952
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was an awesome episode!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 7 March 2020, 12:22 AM   #953
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, I saw the interview with Pompeo. His comments shouldn’t lead us down that finger-pointing political debate here, though. TRF is above that and I like Steve’s rules about avoiding political rhetoric.

As for the future of a coronavirus vaccine, we have enough cases ourselves in USA to get going on a genome to engineer a vaccine to attack the virus. Sure it’d be great to be 2 months ahead of where we are now, but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 7 March 2020, 12:23 AM   #954
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
BLAH BLAH BLAH, truth is nothing said in this thread is /will not going to change anything. The only truth known is COVID19 is a virus. How many deaths, how many have it, where it is, who's telling us about it, is anyone's guess.
Old 7 March 2020, 12:28 AM   #955
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I have not seen one person say that on this thread.

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 March 2020, 12:31 AM   #956
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
While I agree it isn’t low, the 3.4% isn’t likely true because many people will contract the virus yet will never be treated for it . How many people a year get the flu and never go to the ER / doc/ urgent care ....The mortality rate is much higher than the regular flu w covid19 but the 3.4% is most likely way too high if one were to look at the whole pie.
I’m not sure if saying WHO’s numbers aren’t true. They’re an evidenced based organization and that means a lot. They don’t throw numbers out or swing on hunches. They’re extremely careful in publicly announcing any statistical information unless it’s been truly validated under strict guidelines. China’s actions alone, literally brought to their knees was not an overreaction, that was done based on evidence (that we don’t know.) And that was months before WHO was allowed to tour. China could have easily created a >1% narrative and let coronavirus take a natural course like the flu or cold. Think deeper and be logical and you’ll begin to answer the questions. And the US media has two clear narratives, one driven by maintaining health and one driven by maintaining consumerism.

Old 7 March 2020, 12:38 AM   #957
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

The other observation is that the CDC and Dr. Anthony Fauci have been completely muzzled. If that doesn’t tell you anything nothing will.

Old 7 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #958
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Missed opportunity....

Scientists were close to a coronavirus vaccine years ago. Then the money dried up.

https://apple.news/Af5XsBR2ISjqBXmeY-M9KjQ

Old 7 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #959
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

Quote:
I have not seen one person say that on this thread.

I have and I havent gone back very far.

Quote:
And that’s a shame. If the stock market continues doing what it’s doing millions of people will lose their jobs and I predict we will lose more people to suicide then we will this virus. Economic depression causes many deaths.

Quote:
Exactly right. Nobody knows. I just wish we could all find out together without hyping it up and scaring everyone into a massive worldwide financial crisis. If things get as bad as some people feel they will then a financial crisis will happen on its own but we will feel pretty stupid if this is no worse than a regular flu but we destroy the economy anyway.

Quote:
Well if that’s true then it’s self caused. We might as well right? Since everyone’s going to get sick, and that’s inevitable, we might as well finish off the lower middle class and the poor with a good old fashion recession.

That was the chart I was referring to earlier. It looks almost identical to the flu.

Quote:
I don’t see that. I also don’t feel that personally. I’m concerned. Very. Just not enough (yet) to destroy the world economy. That will hurt a lot more people.

Let me ask you. Do you believe that millions of US infections and hundreds of thousands of US deaths is inevitable?

Quote:
Extremely well put. I just read in the New York Times (yes I survived reading one article from them) and what we are talking about is 87,000 cases worldwide with 7000 outside of China. 70 in the United States. I agree that panic causing a recession will do thousands of times more damage to the general public than a flu like virus. They should probably just shut the stock market down for a month until traders calm down. We just got out of a recession a few years ago. The economy is rocking like it never has before. How else could we be arguing about being able to get luxury watches that were extremely easy to get 3-4 years ago??? If we destroy all that on a hunch or more accurately, fear I wonder how the general public or feel about it this go around? They might get the long knives out for the elite top one percent this time.

I agree with Fleetlord. If we lose 40 to 50% of the stock market then massive layoffs will occur shortly after and then most definitely a very deep recession. Then all bets are off.
Quote:
What are you trying to say? Are you saying we shouldn’t sell the stock market down 30 to 50%? Are you saying we shouldn’t cancel every event that has more than 10 people in it? Are you saying we should live our lives as normal? Outrageous! Hardly anything interesting in that. Fear and disaster is the order of the day!!!! Especially this year.

Actually I agree with everything you wrote. But you won’t see anyone in the news media saying that.
Quote:
Those seem like flulike numbers from the chart in one of her tweets.

More people are going to be hurt the economy crashing from panic then this virus.:thumbsup:

DAVE

Old 7 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #960
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
The other observation is that the CDC and Dr. Anthony Fauci have been completely muzzled. If that doesn’t tell you anything nothing will.
That is total 100% BS. It should have no place on this thread.

Instagram - patton250
Closed Thread