The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 7 March 2020, 12:55 AM   #961
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
The other observation is that the CDC and Dr. Anthony Fauci have been completely muzzled. If that doesn’t tell you anything nothing will.

Why do you say that? I know that’s what the Chinese government did to their own doctors who were working on the front line, as everyone knows, but I hadn’t heard this said about the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 March 2020, 12:56 AM   #962
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Missed opportunity....

Scientists were close to a coronavirus vaccine years ago. Then the money dried up.

https://apple.news/Af5XsBR2ISjqBXmeY-M9KjQ

Maybe they can jump start this now.

Old 7 March 2020, 01:10 AM   #963
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Also note that Dr. Anthony Fauci convinced then President Obama to allow him to fly in Ebola patients to learn how to treat. The country went absolutely insane. He then publicly educated the American public to remain calm AND that the risks were incredibly low for the American public. If he’s publicly telling us NOW to be prepared for the coronavirus and that it IS a critical issue including a pandemic, you better damn well take his word for it.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 7 March 2020, 01:13 AM   #964
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That is total 100% BS. It should have no place on this thread.
I’m a Republican if that makes you feel better. Everyone close to me on this board knows I’m a conservative. Stop assuming just because I live in San Francisco I’m going against the grain.

Also I think you’re a great guy but you’re getting really aggressive not just against me but against anyone else on this thread that has a different opinion than yours!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 7 March 2020, 01:18 AM   #965
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
I’m a Republican if that makes you feel better. Everyone close to me on this board knows I’m a conservative. Stop assuming just because I live in San Francisco I’m going against the grain.

Also I think you’re a great guy but you’re getting really aggressive not just against me but against anyone else on this thread that has a different opinion than yours!
Stop with the politics, or this is going to go bye bye. Cmon you know better than that, and for the record I like you.
Old 7 March 2020, 01:19 AM   #966
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Also note that Dr. Anthony Fauci convinced then President Obama to allow him to fly in Ebola patients to learn how to treat. The country went absolutely insane. He then publicly educated the American public to remain calm AND that the risks were incredibly low for the American public. If he’s publicly telling us NOW to be prepared for the coronavirus and that it IS a critical issue including a pandemic, you better damn well take his word for it.
The same gentleman would tell you to be prepared for the flu virus and has told you to be. All of that has nothing to do with you saying he’s been muzzled and not telling us 100% of everything going on. That’s one heck of a claim and if true would be a massive scandal that would have already been reported by some whistleblower. Please stop spreading rumors like that.

Quote:

OK. That’s fine but I’m not sure what any of that has to do with your above claim.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 March 2020, 01:26 AM   #967
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I was talking to some colleagues about this today and the general thought is, if the spread of this virus does indeed last an extended period of time and cause cancellations of numerous conventions, that might be a nail in the coffin for many of them.

Companies will realize they aren’t necessary (like Basel) and they are for the most part antiquated. Even going to an “office” is being questioned as being necessary anymore...as long as it’s not DOD Top Secret stuff, just work out of home on a VPN...no more timewasting commutes and need to support an office like in the “olden” days...

Some Old time employees love conventions as it gives them time away from the family and they can get absolutely hammered every night and act like they did at their frat, but it seems the younger employees really couldn’t care less about them. Just do a quick teleconference dealio and get on with it. So wasteful! Time will tell of course.

You nailed it. I’ll take it a step further. I started working out of college in 2007. I got about 6 months of good times before the market collapsed and was lucky enough to keep my job through it. However, I’ve had one 1 great company Christmas party in my 13 years of employment...2007. It was cancelled altogether in 2008 and when it was brought back, it was to a much lesser scale (mid day so spouses don’t show, not as nice of venue, shorter time, etc.). Point being when a company (public company at least) sees how much money they can save cutting certain costs, it’s difficult to justify bringing it back.

What happens if employees are told to work at home for a few weeks or months and it’s found to be successful? The whole office landscape could change.

Old 7 March 2020, 01:26 AM   #968
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I’m just curious as to what level of death, illness and economic disruption is worthy of being considered a real problem? Worthy of time in a news cycle? How many deaths from a new virulent organism lifts the epidemic to legitimate news status? How many factories shut down? And it seems that the fact that the elderly are more hard hit by the infection somehow lessens the impact. At least it’s only older people dying.
If you were 62 and diabetic you would not be thinking like that...
Old 7 March 2020, 01:28 AM   #969
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you’re getting really aggressive not just against me but against anyone else on this thread that has a different opinion than yours!
My observation as well. Been going on

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 7 March 2020, 01:29 AM   #970
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not sure if saying WHO’s numbers aren’t true. They’re an evidenced based organization and that means a lot. They don’t throw numbers out or swing on hunches. They’re extremely careful in publicly announcing any statistical information unless it’s been truly validated under strict guidelines. China’s actions alone, literally brought to their knees was not an overreaction, that was done based on evidence (that we don’t know.) And that was months before WHO was allowed to tour. China could have easily created a >1% narrative and let coronavirus take a natural course like the flu or cold. Think deeper and be logical and you’ll begin to answer the questions. And the US media has two clear narratives, one driven by maintaining health and one driven by maintaining consumerism.
The poster you responded to was not quibbling with the WHOs numbers, though he made an entirely valid point.

If you look at the WHO situation reports (latest one https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=ed2ba78b_2) they don't even document percentages, simply confirmed cases and confirmed deaths. As it should be.

However the confirmed case number must logically be the absolute lower bound of total infections and given that the evidence thus far suggests 80% of those infected have mild symptms (http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article...b-fea8db1a8f51) a large proportion will therefore be invisible to the statisticians because they will not all seek medical attention or even know they are infected with COVID-19. Since the denominator is almost certainly significantly higher than the confirmed case number, then the current mortality estimates - which as far as I can tell are mostly media, not WHO-driven - are over-estimates. Nobody yet knows how much of an overestimate they will turn out to be.
Old 7 March 2020, 01:30 AM   #971
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
If you were 62 and diabetic you would not be thinking like that...
Greg, I think he was saying that in jest to the other members who were playing down the overall mortality rate.
Old 7 March 2020, 01:32 AM   #972
EndlessEight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
I actually welcome a mandatory work from home "drill". This will push us further towards where our process was ultimately going anyway.

The only hangup is transitioning a substantial portion of our clients away from physical deliverables and accepting digital transfers.

I lead a team of 50+ video production professionals for a private company.
Old 7 March 2020, 01:33 AM   #973
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
My observation as well. Been going on

It seems to me that you feel anyone that disagrees with you is being aggressive. That’s fine I’m used to that in this world. Seems to be pretty prevalent in the United States these days with a certain segment of people. What I am aggressive about is not overreacting. I had a handful of friends that absolutely flipped out in December 1999 because they were totally sure planes would be falling out of the sky, elevators would be getting stuck and even printing machines would stop working. Some of them were quite close to hysteria over it. That year it was Y2K.

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 March 2020, 01:45 AM   #974
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubshack View Post
You nailed it. I’ll take it a step further. I started working out of college in 2007. I got about 6 months of good times before the market collapsed and was lucky enough to keep my job through it. However, I’ve had one 1 great company Christmas party in my 13 years of employment...2007. It was cancelled altogether in 2008 and when it was brought back, it was to a much lesser scale (mid day so spouses don’t show, not as nice of venue, shorter time, etc.). Point being when a company (public company at least) sees how much money they can save cutting certain costs, it’s difficult to justify bringing it back.

What happens if employees are told to work at home for a few weeks or months and it’s found to be successful? The whole office landscape could change.

That's exactly it. Business will go on just fine without the conventions and physical meetings in the majority of settings. In fact, it might do better.

Transportation time is really inefficient in a lot of ways and many an employee has completely lost their #$% on company trips and gotten themselves fired...it's like uncaging wild animals with some of these peeps...all that expense and drama just goes away...

Now, not saying this is for ALL industries..etc, but I'm with you. A lot of companies will not go back to what they used to do.
Old 7 March 2020, 01:51 AM   #975
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It seems to me that you feel anyone that disagrees with you is being aggressive. That’s fine I’m used to that in this world. Seems to be pretty prevalent in the United States these days with a certain segment of people. What I am aggressive about is not overreacting. I had a handful of friends that absolutely flipped out in December 1999 because they were totally sure planes would be falling out of the sky, elevators would be getting stuck and even printing machines would stop working. Some of them were quite close to hysteria over it. That year it was Y2K.
Not at all. I welcome healthy disagreement. However, when folks confuse option with facts and then get aggressive, it’s quite a downer. Seems to me that a few folks have said the same thing about your behavior and yet you don’t seem to want to listen to any of it...

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 7 March 2020, 01:52 AM   #976
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
That's exactly it. Business will go on just fine without the conventions and physical meetings in the majority of settings. In fact, it might do better.

Transportation time is really inefficient in a lot of ways and many an employee has completely lost their #$% on company trips and gotten themselves fired...it's like uncaging wild animals with some of these peeps...all that expense and drama just goes away...

Now, not saying this is for ALL industries..etc, but I'm with you. A lot of companies will not go back to what they used to do.
Completely agree and long past due
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 7 March 2020, 01:56 AM   #977
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Hey, Guys, please be kind to one another.
Please ...we need to keep this thread open for all members from all countries around the world.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=642

March 1, 2020:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
This thread has been re-opened on a trial basis.

Just to let everyone know that if you make an unreasonable or antagonistic or belligerent post (as solely determined by any Moderator), you will be immediately and permanently banned without warning or explanation.

This is not a thread for arguing and if you want to agitate any claim rather than informing about facts you will find yourself banned.

Looking forward to good times

So don't say you weren't warned and all moderation decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.

Thank you
Old 7 March 2020, 01:57 AM   #978
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Completely agree and long past due
Its heading that direction. However, many roles (majority) just require people to be together in the same place, too much multi-team/department collaboration. Especially C-level or thereabout. And overhead departments like accounting/finance/HR/etc. Sales/IT/etc are continuing to become more flexible with remote work setups.
Old 7 March 2020, 02:03 AM   #979
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Not at all. I welcome healthy disagreement. However, when folks confuse option with facts and then get aggressive, it’s quite a downer. Seems to me that a few folks have said the same thing about your behavior and yet you don’t seem to want to listen to any of it...
My behavior? I don’t see a need to be condescending. We should not be arguing back-and-forth. There’s no need for you to step it up. I’m good if you’re good. Ok?

In fact I’ll stay away from this thread altogether.

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 March 2020, 02:06 AM   #980
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Not that I was ever terrified and running for the hills, but I have reached the point I am past worrying about this on a daily basis. I am still concerned about the financial impact this could have on the world and my own family, but I've done what I can to prepare. I've stocked our pantry with enough food to last approximately four weeks, as well as other necessary supplies such as medicine. We are prepared for a mandatory quarantine. The rest is beyond my control.
Old 7 March 2020, 02:08 AM   #981
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
To be honest, this is a world problem but each country has been doing things their own way. No one really knows what to do. World leaders should be getting together and thrashing out a concerted, co ordinated plan. We should all be singing on the same song sheet.

Anyone suspected of having the virus is isolated for 2 weeks? Is that the best plan we can come up with?

DAVE

Old 7 March 2020, 02:08 AM   #982
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Double post.

DAVE

Old 7 March 2020, 02:22 AM   #983
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

The University of Washington said on Friday that it would cancel in-person classes and have students take classes and final exams remotely while the Seattle area grapples with a growing coronavirus outbreak, in a move that other colleges around the country are preparing to follow if the virus becomes more widespread.

A growing number of universities have mobilized emergency planning teams to envision what a shutdown would look like, especially if students were to bring the virus back with them from spring break, which starts Friday on many campuses. Some students have already been warned that they should be prepared to learn online, as many students in Europe and Asia have been forced to do.
Old 7 March 2020, 02:22 AM   #984
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Another double post.
Old 7 March 2020, 02:26 AM   #985
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:

I have to agree here, perfect example is my trip yesterday. I flew across the country, from CA to FL Wednesday. Thursday I was part of a four hour event in which my presentation was 45 minutes. After, I flew home. So, Taxi to the airport, five hour flight, taxi to the hotel, meals, taxi back to the airport, five hour flight home and taxi to my house. All that time and expense... Now, I have to do this presentation because I have a certification called CTS, and am the only one in the company that does, but really, what a waste of time and resources.
Old 7 March 2020, 02:34 AM   #986
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I have to agree here, perfect example is my trip yesterday. I flew across the country, from CA to FL Wednesday. Thursday I was part of a four hour event in which my presentation was 45 minutes. After, I flew home. So, Taxi to the airport, five hour flight, taxi to the hotel, meals, taxi back to the airport, five hour flight home and taxi to my house. All that time and expense... Now, I have to do this presentation because I have a certification called CTS, and am the only one in the company that does, but really, what a waste of time and resources.

I agree Paul.

Isn’t there a way to do the demo in your hometown with HD live stream and Q&A?

Sort of like melding your precious. Steer with the current one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 7 March 2020, 02:43 AM   #987
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m good if you’re good. Ok?
I’m good. You’re good. So we’re good. Cheers

Old 7 March 2020, 02:47 AM   #988
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I had to do crap like that at IBM plus lug mass amounts of electronics...which I could have all done remote but big blue wanted to have somebody on site that the client could bitch at 24x7 ...now you could have been exposed to the virus unnecessarily at any point along the way.
Old 7 March 2020, 02:47 AM   #989
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Completely agree. The amount of money we waste on travel is staggering
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 7 March 2020, 02:47 AM   #990
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
My business trip to the USA from Canada was just cancelled for no good reason other than this virus. $4000 at least just from me will not be going to American Airlines, restaurants , hotels, parking fees, Uber and many other things. I’ve lived an adventurous life by not being afraid of things. Now I’m held back because of others unfounded fears.
Closed Thread