The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 March 2020, 12:13 PM   #1141
StarvingBillionaire
Banned

One thing I cannot understand is people's urge to hoard toilet papers in the Coronavirus crisis.
Fights over toilet papers are happening, like this one in Australia:

If the fight were over masks, I would understand.
Like this, happened in Japan:

Old 9 March 2020, 01:26 PM   #1142
rowdy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
The first case had been reported in my town. People are freaking out. I work at a timeshare and we have been getting calls about the virus and people canceling their trips.
Old 9 March 2020, 04:32 PM   #1143
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
It's time to book your holidays guys... Cheap airline tickets. I'm going to pre-book all my business class tickets for the Summer. They go for ~$2500 now vs $3500 normally. That's 1000 in savings. Let this virus keep pounding the travel industry. Cheap hotels too.
Old 9 March 2020, 05:17 PM   #1144
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
It's time to book your holidays guys... Cheap airline tickets. I'm going to pre-book all my business class tickets for the Summer. They go for ~$2500 now vs $3500 normally. That's 1000 in savings. Let this virus keep pounding the travel industry. Cheap hotels too.
Helpful and considerate of those who have been affected.
Old 9 March 2020, 05:33 PM   #1145
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Old 9 March 2020, 06:05 PM   #1146
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingBillionaire View Post
One thing I cannot understand is people's urge to hoard toilet papers in the Coronavirus crisis.

It’s because the same government that is telling people to chillax and not worry about toilet paper supply may very well have to enforce a mandatory quarantine in that area, like in Northern Italy, so if you don’t get the TP, you won’t have it when everything potentially gets shut down...and that will happen regardless of ones personal opinion regarding the voracity of the virus. That government won’t be air dropping TP, so people feel the need to get some and they go too far in terms of hoarding it out of self absorption. See it often with a hurricane on the way.

If the government says lock it down, you’re locked down...with no TP!!!
Old 9 March 2020, 06:21 PM   #1147
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Helpful and considerate of those who have been affected.
Pretty helpful since I've kept an eye on airline tickets.

When the outbreak was in Asia everyone thought it was doomsday. Now that the outbreak is in Europe and it pretty much has subsided out here it does look a bit over-hyped.
Old 9 March 2020, 07:31 PM   #1148
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
We still let 17 flights into the UK from affected parts of Italy yesterday and didn’t even screen people. The stupidity is mind blowing, I mean at least get the basics right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 March 2020, 07:45 PM   #1149
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Pretty helpful since I've kept an eye on airline tickets.

When the outbreak was in Asia everyone thought it was doomsday. Now that the outbreak is in Europe and it pretty much has subsided out here it does look a bit over-hyped.

Subsided? Where do you get your info?

This virus doesn’t pick its victims, it’s just a wave that keeps coming. I’m in Asia and it keeps getting worse.

Don’t stick your head in the sand guys, stay safe and use common sense please.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 9 March 2020, 07:56 PM   #1150
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Let this virus keep pounding the travel industry. Cheap hotels too.
Unless of course you work in the travel industry.

Unless of course you work in an industry impacted by the travel industry.

Unless of course you catch the CV and do not do so well.

Unless of course... you have empathy for the aforementioned people.
Old 9 March 2020, 08:20 PM   #1151
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingBillionaire View Post

Maybe the thought of getting the virus scares the crap out of them.
Old 9 March 2020, 08:27 PM   #1152
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
So all you can think about is perhaps cheaper travel because there a people dying from this virus world wide I find your post in extremely bad taste,so have a few infraction points perhaps then you will think before you post.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 9 March 2020, 08:40 PM   #1153
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Subsided? Where do you get your info?

This virus doesn’t pick its victims, it’s just a wave that keeps coming. I’m in Asia and it keeps getting worse.

Don’t stick your head in the sand guys, stay safe and use common sense please.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Please define getting worse. You mean more people are getting upset or more people are getting the virus? I have been following this website for the last two weeks and the amount of cases in Asia is leveling out and getting better. Some friends of mine in China tell me people are going back to work in the factories and life is getting somewhat normal again so that doesn’t sound like getting worse. It is getting worse in Europe but it just got started there in the last couple of weeks so we will have to follow it. Seems to me the worst part of this virus so far has been psychological. Just over 3800 deaths worldwide confirmed. I would think that’s a number that has to be pretty accurate. I still think the number of confirmed cases must be higher because they say the majority of people that get this virus have no symptoms or not enough symptoms to go to the doctor. It’s as if the people who are most concerned about this expect this virus any day to start infecting the vast majority of the population killing 3% of its victims. For those of our friends here most concerned about this is that what your thoughts are? I’ll tell you if I believed that I would definitely not leave my house.

I was hoping someone here with medical background can help explain to me how placing a region in a quarantine situation could end this virus. Seems to me that since it’s already out there it’s too late for that but then I know nothing of this so any input would be very much appreciated. I would think a quarantine would only slow it down until people started intermingling again. Then it would go right back on its normal course.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2020, 08:40 PM   #1154
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Corona virus .....

Its from animals therefore humans have no natural immunity .We have to develop immunity .
Spreads easily ,via touch or air transmission,not really sure at this stage .
3% mortality (Influenza less than 1%)
13-15% very sick ,usually the aged and immune compromised patients like cardiac problems,diabetes etc.
It is likely to spread more ,with more cases worldwide and more deaths .

Economic implications world wide is clear to see already .

Normal sugical masks do not help much ,its does not filter a virus .It does however,lessen spread from an infected person .

Prevent exposure to people,the best you can do ...malls,restaurants etc .

On a side note and my personal opinion,the believe the numbers will be higher at this stage .I believe goverments are down plaiyng the numbers and not every one infected has been confirmed tested .
Old 9 March 2020, 08:42 PM   #1155
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
So all you can think about is perhaps cheaper travel because there a people dying from this virus world wide I find your post in extremely bad taste,so have a few infraction points perhaps then you will think before you post.
I absolutely disagree with your infraction by stating the obvious. Are you a scientist at the front-line fighting this flu or are you taking the same backseat like everyone else in here reading newspaper articles (medical journals haven't been released, yet) meant to sell and scare us?

People die from Cancer, Diabetes, AIDS and the seasonal Flu, yet, here we are, scaremongering each other because every newspaper has nothing better to write about?

The elderly die from the seasonal Flu too; where have the consistent headlines been for the past decade besides the occasional article that's hidden away?

I'll let you answer that in order to keep this discussion on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Please define getting worse. You mean more people are getting upset or more people are getting the virus? I have been following this website for the last two weeks and the amount of cases in Asia is leveling out and getting better. Some friends of mine in China tell me people are going back to work in the factories and life is getting somewhat normal again so that doesn’t sound like getting worse. It is getting worse in Europe but it just got started there in the last couple of weeks so we will have to follow it. Seems to me the worst part of this virus so far has been psychological. Just over 3800 deaths worldwide confirmed. I would think that’s a number that has to be pretty accurate. I still think the number of confirmed cases must be higher because they say the majority of people that get this virus have no symptoms or not enough symptoms to go to the doctor. It’s as if the people who are most concerned about this expect this virus any day to start infecting the vast majority of the population killing 3% of its victims. For those of our friends here most concerned about this is that what your thoughts are? I’ll tell you if I believed that I would definitely not leave my house.

I was hoping someone here with medical background can help explain to me how placing a region in a quarantine situation could end this virus. Seems to me that since it’s already out there it’s too late for that but then I know nothing of this so any input would be very much appreciated. I would think a quarantine would only slow it down until people started intermingling again. Then it would go right back on its normal course.
I posted this a few posts back and have been following same numbers for Asian countries. It's subsided in Asia and accelerated in Europe.

As explained in the previous reply to padi; it's scaremongering.

I've traveled world-wide (literally) in the past 6 weeks. Before and during this "outbreak". Still feel fine.
Old 9 March 2020, 08:46 PM   #1156
nda
"TRF" Member

The figures are, as we know, pretty shocking...

In Italy there are (as of today) 7,375 cases confirmed and 366 deaths (4.9% mortality rate). Globally there are 110,588 confirmed cases and 3,841 deaths (3.4% mortality rate). In China it's 80,375/3,120 (3.8%).

Seasonal flu mortality rate is 0.1%.
Old 9 March 2020, 08:49 PM   #1157
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I absolutely disagree with your infraction by stating the obvious. Are you a scientist at the front-line fighting this flu or are you taking the same backseat like everyone else in here reading newspaper articles (medical journals haven't been released, yet) meant to sell and scare us?

People die from Cancer, Diabetes, AIDS and the seasonal Flu, yet, here we are, scaremongering each other because every newspaper has nothing better to write about?

The elderly die from the seasonal Flu too; where have the consistent headlines been for the past decade besides the occasional news article?

With all due respect the point was that rejoicing about getting cheaper air travel accommodations at the cost of the health of others and the devastation of the travel industry is in poor taste.

Please think about this.
Old 9 March 2020, 08:54 PM   #1158
nda
"TRF" Member

For anyone interested in facts - this is the very latest of contracted and confirmed cases in mainline China.

Old 9 March 2020, 08:54 PM   #1159
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post

In Italy there are (as of today) 7,375 cases confirmed and 366 deaths (4.9% mortality rate). Globally there are 110,588 confirmed cases and 3,841 deaths (3.4% mortality rate). In China it's 80,375/3,120 (3.8%).

You’re picking in choosing certain numbers for your statistics here. It’s been well agreed on that the amount of cases reported is nowhere near where it should be. However we know the death number has to be accurate. So if we have a lot more people that have the virus that’s going to make the death rate percentage much lower. Ive seen were some experts agree that it’s well under 1%.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2020, 08:54 PM   #1160
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
With all due respect the point was that rejoicing about getting cheaper air travel accommodations at the cost of the health of others and the devastation of the travel industry is in poor taste.

Please think about this.
So one can't find positivity out of a negative situation?

The prices will bounce back as soon as this is blown over. And that will be soon enough.
Old 9 March 2020, 08:59 PM   #1161
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was hoping someone here with medical background can help explain to me how placing a region in a quarantine situation could end this virus. .
That's not the purpose of the quarantine. The purpose is to slow down the spread to give the infrastructure the time it needs to cope and respond in a measured way.

Italy is (sadly) a good example.

The medical facilities in the north of the country are far better than those in the south - if the virus breaks loose in the south then the mortality rate will be even higher as they don't have sufficient ICU capacity.

Until an effective vaccine is found, then slowing down the spread is the goal.
Old 9 March 2020, 09:00 PM   #1162
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re picking in choosing certain numbers for your statistics here. It’s been well agreed on that the amount of cases reported is nowhere near where it should be. However we know the death number has to be accurate. So if we have a lot more people that have the virus that’s going to make the death rate percentage much lower. Ive seen were some experts agree that it’s well under 1%.
These are the official government figures - so I'm not picking anything.
Old 9 March 2020, 09:01 PM   #1163
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The prices will bounce back as soon as this is blown over. And that will be soon enough.

With your membership dangling by a thread, you still think it is OK to make the post that got you the infraction points?

Then start an argument with the Mod who could have banned you outright.

Please take a break and look at some other thread until you can cool down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 9 March 2020, 09:03 PM   #1164
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The elderly die from the seasonal Flu too; where have the consistent headlines been for the past decade besides the occasional article that's hidden away?

I posted this a few posts back and have been following same numbers for Asian countries. It's subsided in Asia and accelerated in Europe.

As explained in the previous reply to padi; it's scaremongering.

I've traveled world-wide (literally) in the past 6 weeks. Before and during this "outbreak". Still feel fine.

China is not the only country in Asia.

Malaysia cases are increasing, Korea and Japan cases are increasing, Indonesia increasing, Australia increasing, India increasing.

Get your heads out of the sand. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 9 March 2020, 09:05 PM   #1165
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
These are the official government figures - so I'm not picking anything.
No. You picked certain statistics to get the higher death rates. I’ve been running the numbers myself and they are not that high even when you don’t use the higher amount of probable cases. You start throwing around 3.5% death rate and we will have a massive global panic the likes that only an intimate world ending astroid impact could create. It’s not 3.5%.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2020, 09:08 PM   #1166
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don’t bother try to reason with these folks, unless they’re personally affected they will argue like children.

Old 9 March 2020, 09:11 PM   #1167
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Let me try again. Again with all due respect, the point is not about finding "positivity out of negative situation.

Your original post stated "That's 1000 in savings. Let this virus keep pounding the travel industry. Cheap hotels too."

This is an international forum. With members in China, Italy, Seattle, on cruise ships, and other places that have suffered loss of life and loss of livelihood.

I agree that a reasonable person can debate mortality figures and other aspects of CV. But the fact remains that cheering on the virus to "keep pounding the travel industry" is in poor taste.

So, what I am suggesting is that you consider how this sounds to persons who are negatively impacted.
Old 9 March 2020, 09:12 PM   #1168
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No. You picked certain statistics to get the higher death rates. I’ve been running the numbers myself and they are not that high even when you don’t use the higher amount of probable cases. You start throwing around 3.5% death rate and we will have a massive global panic the likes that only an intimate world ending astroid impact could create. It’s not 3.5%.
I haven't 'picked' anything. These are the official reported cases of contraction and the official reported deaths compiled by the WHO, CDC, ECDH, NHC and DXY. The most authoritative sources - not Google. I am sorry they don't chime with your own research, but rest assured, I have not 'picked' anything - merely given you the official government figures.
Old 9 March 2020, 09:13 PM   #1169
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
China is not the only country in Asia.

Malaysia cases are increasing, Korea and Japan cases are increasing, Indonesia increasing, Australia increasing, India increasing.

Get your heads out of the sand. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

117 cases in Malaysia, 511 in Japan, 76 in Australia and 43 in India.

Now South Korea is a big one. 7500 known in cases there. 53 deaths. That’s a .7% mortality rate. I’m sure there are more then 7500 cases but the death number has to be accurate. So .7% in reality must be lower.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2020, 09:13 PM   #1170
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

We are all of God's children. Will people calm down.

SM-N960U
Closed Thread