The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18 March 2020, 06:24 AM   #2461
Star Ferry
Banned

If anyone is healthy and has no high-risk people in their home, then it could be fun to volunteer. my buddy and I are going to help at a food bank later this week. Since the gym is closed, I think it'll be a good way for me to stay active

apparently a lot of existing volunteers are old and currently cannot participate
Old 18 March 2020, 06:28 AM   #2462
2024 Pledge Member

It's not exactly volunteering but I just gave blood at the Red Cross. They had a blood drive van in a local church parking lot so I pulled up and asked if they had any free cookies. Now I have a Band-Aid on my arm.
Old 18 March 2020, 06:28 AM   #2463
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
If anyone is healthy and has no high-risk people in their home, then it could be fun to volunteer. my buddy and I are going to help at a food bank later this week. Since the gym is closed, I think it'll be a good way for me to stay active

apparently a lot of existing volunteers are old and currently cannot participate
thats awesome.

good for you!!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 18 March 2020, 06:31 AM   #2464
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Yes...I wish we had something like that here....I risk my life just going to a store now....I try and go at off time to avoid people as much as possible....I read about low risk youngsters buying groceries for high risk seniors like me and leaving them at their front door. I think it was in Utah...so im sure it was LDS doing it.
Old 18 March 2020, 06:31 AM   #2465
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
It's not exactly volunteering but I just gave blood at the Red Cross. They had a blood drive van in a local church parking lot so I pulled up and asked if they had any free cookies. Now I have a Band-Aid on my arm.
Sounds like a great thing to do. Red Cross says they have a severe shortage right now.
Old 18 March 2020, 06:34 AM   #2466
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
Yes...I wish we had something like that here....I risk my life just going to a store now....I try and go at off time to avoid people as much as possible....I read about low risk youngsters buying groceries for high risk seniors like me and leaving them at their front door. I think it was in Utah...so im sure it was LDS doing it.
yeah, I think it's a big problem. the delivery services are overwhelmed. for example, Amazon Now has no delivery times available in Chicago right now. Hopefully the military will be mobilized to distribute essentials.
Old 18 March 2020, 06:36 AM   #2467
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sounds like a great thing to do. Red Cross says they have a severe shortage right now.
That's what the girl said. They have quite the supply of cookies though!
Old 18 March 2020, 06:38 AM   #2468
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
So, I live in Surry County NC. Home of Mount Airy, NC. For those of you who remember, this is the home of Andy Griffith and also known as Mayberry.

This article was just published in the Mount Airy News. We have no confirmed cases in Surry, but it looks like we will be starting a lock out as opposed to a lock down. The article indicates traffic from outside the county will not be allowed in, but apparently some exception for work. Guess I will find out tomorrow morning.

https://www.mtairynews.com/news/8453...-be-restricted

I have confession to make. When large cities went to lock down I thought it was reasonable to try and get a lid on this. But when I read this today it sent my stomach into a tizzy.

Stay safe.
Old 18 March 2020, 06:42 AM   #2469
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:

I dont think it will be much fun giving the circumstances.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 18 March 2020, 06:43 AM   #2470
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
yeah, I think it's a big problem. the delivery services are overwhelmed. for example, Amazon Now has no delivery times available in Chicago right now. Hopefully the military will be mobilized to distribute essentials.
My one-day delivery from Amazon will be at least a week. Oh well,
Old 18 March 2020, 06:45 AM   #2471
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
I dont think it will be much fun giving the circumstances.
Maybe fun was the wrong word. But it's productive activity.
Old 18 March 2020, 06:50 AM   #2472
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
An important update on TP and restocking...

https://apple.news/ATeAie_EdSzKVEClWF3-jSg
Old 18 March 2020, 06:56 AM   #2473
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
So, I live in Surry County NC. Home of Mount Airy, NC. For those of you who remember, this is the home of Andy Griffith and also known as Mayberry.

This article was just published in the Mount Airy News. We have no confirmed cases in Surry, but it looks like we will be starting a lock out as opposed to a lock down. The article indicates traffic from outside the county will not be allowed in, but apparently some exception for work. Guess I will find out tomorrow morning.

I have confession to make. When large cities went to lock down I thought it was reasonable to try and get a lid on this. But when I read this today it sent my stomach into a tizzy.

Stay safe.
I understand the concern to avoid the virus...but if all counties were to do what Surry County is proposing... then no one could go anywhere.....
Old 18 March 2020, 07:02 AM   #2474
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Maybe fun was the wrong word. But it's productive activity.
Volunteering is great. There are alot of vulnerable people out there that can sure use your help. I know the red cross needs blood for sure. Everyone is greatful for your help

I was recently right in a HotZone doing an assesment in a building. Think of it aS a Fire Drill taking place. Everyone just got up and left everything behind. Shoes, coats, food, some animals and etc. It reminded me of I am Legend with Will Smith. Just eerie.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 18 March 2020, 07:13 AM   #2475
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
I understand the concern to avoid the virus...but if all counties were to do what Surry County is proposing... then no one could go anywhere.....
That is of course true. And what concerns me.

And I am baffled at the logistics. We have two Interstates running through our county, 77 and 52. And truckers top here for breaks and fuel and service.
Old 18 March 2020, 07:15 AM   #2476
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
My one-day delivery from Amazon will be at least a week. Oh well,
But you are defiantly Prime, Paul.

Stay well my friend.
Old 18 March 2020, 07:24 AM   #2477
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Stay safe.
The Monsters are due on Maple St.....I would not be shocked if this happened in small towns across the USA if the virus gets worse....
Old 18 March 2020, 07:25 AM   #2478
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Is my room ready Dave?
Don’t hold your breath Dave. Paul says he’s coming, but then he never does. I’ve been holding a room for almost two years here in beautiful frozen Minnesota.
Old 18 March 2020, 07:36 AM   #2479
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Don’t hold your breath Dave. Paul says he’s coming, but then he never does. I’ve been holding a room for almost two years here in beautiful frozen Minnesota.
Let’s see... The Beach in California.... or the frozen North.... uhm....

Decisions Decisions....

Old 18 March 2020, 07:45 AM   #2480
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

Stay safe.
This is an example of over-reacting when no underlying local emergency (outside of fear) warrants it. Sorry to hear you’re having to deal with it.

The NC Atty. General ought to school the County on “state of emergency” vs. “martial law”. The local powers granted counties under NC §166A-19.22. (Municipal or county declaration of state of emergency) do not include the action that news story explained.

Trump hasn’t invoked Stafford Act, NC Governor hasn’t enacted martial law, so Article IV, Section 2, Clause 1 of the US Constitution is still intact. (Freedom of movement guaranteed in the Privileges and Immunities Clause)

Just my 2¢

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 18 March 2020, 07:46 AM   #2481
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:

Stay safe.
My 80+ year old parents with many health issues are regulars at the Mt. Airy Golden Corral so they won't be happy about this.
Old 18 March 2020, 07:51 AM   #2482
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
My 80+ year old parents with many health issues are regulars at the Mt. Airy Golden Corral so they won't be happy about this.

Tell them GC dining room is closed. So travel wouldn’t help them with the unlimited buffet anyway...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 18 March 2020, 07:56 AM   #2483
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Tell them GC dining room is closed. So travel wouldn’t help them with the unlimited buffet anyway...

There's no reasoning with them. They will drive to Winston-Salem and find another buffet unless they are closed across the board.
Old 18 March 2020, 07:58 AM   #2484
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Hahahaha.

DAVE

Old 18 March 2020, 08:02 AM   #2485
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
This is an example of over-reacting when no underlying local emergency (outside of fear) warrants it. Sorry to hear you’re having to deal with it.

The NC Atty. General ought to school the County on “state of emergency” vs. “martial law”. The local powers granted counties under NC §166A-19.22. (Municipal or county declaration of state of emergency) do not include the action that news story explained.

Trump hasn’t invoked Stafford Act, NC Governor hasn’t enacted martial law, so Article IV, Section 2, Clause 1 of the US Constitution is still intact. (Freedom of movement guaranteed in the Privileges and Immunities Clause)

Just my 2¢

Small counties in the southern US like to do this whenever there is a public safety concern.

Next they will go dry, curfews...etc. I think they think they can get more federal funds the more they can show they had to take measures to protect their citizens....
Old 18 March 2020, 08:07 AM   #2486
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just want to bump this and say thanks so much! Many services which assist those less fortunate are staffed by older volunteers who now need to be isolating themselves from the public. The more that low-risk people can fulfill these roles, the better.

On a related note, my heart goes out to the near-retirees who are over 60 years of age and living paycheck to paycheck. They need to work to sustain themselves, but face a real risk of dying if they contract this illness in the coming weeks.
Old 18 March 2020, 08:10 AM   #2487
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Boarders are closed at the 49th parallel and now only 4 airports are accepting International flights...so a lot of diversions to those 4 cities..adding to the already strained authorities which are just getting up to speed.
We just returned from Mexico on Saturday just in time before more sh*t hits the fan. Yet Mexico had only(!) 41 reported cases then, mostly in Mexico City area (non in Cabo where we were..), tho more are expected through out.
Because we arrived from an 'international city', I'm being required to 'self-quarantine' for the obligatory 14 days, (zero symptoms) even tho Vancouver and Toronto, for example, have way more cases than all of Mexico...
But that's the Co's position and they're obliged to following the rules set forth by the authorities.
This isn't going to make it easy on the pocket book.. for A ton of people and businesses etal. A profound effect on the whole economy...!
Holy Hell...........

' A Crown for every achievement '
Old 18 March 2020, 08:14 AM   #2488
clock
Banned

This was sent to me, hopefully helpful:

We are following the evolving situation very closely and I would like to make the following points for our patients and staff so that we have a better understanding of this disease process and to avoid also unnecessary measures or anxiety. Symptoms: Greater than 95% of patients have a fever Sore throat and dry cough: A productive cough is less likely to be COVID-19. Myalgias, and in less than 10% of patients, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea. Shortness of breath: This is extremely important. It occurs in patients in the later stages, and carries a very poor prognosis. It means that there is early ARDS. The main pathology is atelectasis and alveolar plugging, resulting in severe hypoxemia and respiratory failure. However many patients who are not subjectively dyspneic, have revealed CT scan appearances of atelectasis, bilateral infiltrates, interstitial changes, and these patients need to be monitored extremely closely in a hospital setting. Majority of the patient's, greater than 90%, may have mild symptoms at best, some fever, myalgias, sore throat, cough, and atypical viral course. Just like influenza, or respiratory syncytial virus, and other forms of viral disease, the course is rather benign. For young, healthy individuals, the distressing aspect is the social isolation and economic impact and inconvenience more than the actual illness itself that is a problem A major distinguishing point between a regular upper respiratory infection and COVID-19, is a runny nose, productive cough, because these are more suggestive of a regular upper respiratory infection. It is also flu season still, so when a patient presents to the office with these symptoms, you will need to become educated to try to clinically distinguish the 2 syndromes. Shortness of breath is a major problem with COVID-19. The examination of the lungs will reveal crackles, consistent with a interstitial pneumonia, and a CT scan is the most helpful test together with a chest x-ray. CONTACT: With somebody who has definitive COVID-19, means bodily contact, coming within 6 feet of each other, spending more than an hour with that person, means that you are now a person of interest. If someone comes in contact with the definitive case, they need to be quarantined for 14 days, looking for symptoms of COVID-19. They should be sent home and told to stay home, monitor symptoms, report ANY SHORTNESS of breath. This is where telemedicine is going to be helpful. Here at CVI, we are working on a telemedicine program. Coming into contact with somebody who thinks they have COVID-19, is not contact. POSSIBLE exposure: Traveling from a COVID-19 area, recent international travel, requires a voluntary home quarantine for up to 14 days. VIRAL SHEDDING: Means infectivity, starts 2 days prior to symptoms and continue so long as you have the symptoms, usually 14 days Overall mortality: 6%, but highest in patients who are over the age of 60 and who have underlying cardiovascular disease, COPD, diabetes, renal failure and poor immunity. It takes a very benign course in the younger populations. TESTS: The nasal swab is going to become more available as of this week, but, I am told that only 1000 samples can be processed by Quest and Labcor on a daily basis so we will try to get some swabs into our office. Whom will we swab? Patients at high risk from EXPOSURE, WITH symptoms. It is currently recommended that asymptomatic patients should not be swabbed. However special circumstances, for example President Trump, had it done to reassure the population even though he was asymptomatic. In China, of all the patients who were swabbed for suspected COVID-19 and upper respiratory infections, only 4% were positive for COVID-19. This tells you that most patients with upper respiratory infections have NON-COVID-19 illness. This is very reassuring. Then, of all patients were positive, a small minority develop serious disease, 6% mortality, but majority of the patient's recover as they would from any other viral disease. The testing is going to become more available, and in particular, a drive through program in the parking lots of Walmart, target, CVS, will become available for some patients. As I have said, in asymptomatic patient with possible exposure, we will refer them to 1 of these places to get the test done. The test result may take 24-48 hours to return. More rapid point of care testing swabs are in development but they going to take many months. VACCINATION: This is a long way away, but in the meantime, it is my opinion that the majority of the population of the United States is going to develop herd immunity via exposure. The current containment is not going to be effective to contain and eradicate the virus. The current measures of social isolation is simply going to spread out the cases over a longer period of time, so as not to overwhelm the health care system with sick patients. Without the current measures, the rapid exposure to COVID-19 and resultant severe pulmonary disease will overwhelm the current healthcare system. We do not have the capacity to double the ICU beds at this time. Once herd immunity is in place, there will be serological tests in the future which we do not have currently, which will confirm past exposure and immunity. (Although a questiontill over the longevity of immunity and risk of reinfection). PREVENTION: It is mostly spread through coughing, sneezing, close contacts such as touching, shaking hands, touching an object or surface with the virus on it and then transmitting HTR nose or mouth or eyes. Wash your hands often for 20 seconds with soap and water. You can use an alcohol based hand sanitizer is warm. This is important after every contact. Do not touch eyes nose or mouth. Do not come in contact with sick people. If you are sick, cover up the cough or sneeze with a tissue, and then throw it away. Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as computer keyboard, tabletops, pens, handrails and other surfaces that are touched by others. Keep your hands to self. Keep a 6 feet distance from others. Avoid traveling. Avoid gatherings such as concerts parades festivals sporting events. NUTRITIONAL: A strong immune system is a strong defense. A week or immune system accounts for the mortality in elderly patients, and patients with underlying predisposing factors example diabetes, heart failure, liver disease, renal failure. To boost your immunity, I have always recommended a low sugar, non-processed, low carbohydrate, no omega 6 processed oil consumption diet. Vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, fish oil are important supplements. Garlic, sprouted broccoli, spinach, cruciferous vegetables, yogurt, turmeric, almonds, ginger, Kale, papaya, citrus fruits, green tea, Kefir, are all excellent foods to boost immunity. Lastly, time restricted feeding and intermittent fasting have been shown to improve immune function in many studies. Do not snack. Daily exercise at home is essential. 7 hours sleep a day is essential. Consumption of water as the best beverage cannot be over emphasized. Dehydration allows viruses to penetrate the cell membrane more easily. Discontinuation of antiestrogens, and testosterone supplementation, may be an important issue, and more information on this is coming out. Need to speak to your provider about this. PSYCHOLOGICAL well-being: It is time to be sensible and not overreact emotionally. This is NOT a deadly virus for the majority, and the mortality of 6% is predominantly composed of people over the age of 60 with underlying health problems. The lesson to learn here is that even if you over 60, if you have invested in healthcare, taking care of what you eat and drink and how you live physically and emotionally, you can be a healthy octogenarian with a good immune system. This disease is deadly for those who have a poor immune system. The virus is definitely going to go through the population. The death rates are going to be in the elderly and weak patients. The current social isolation is recommended so as not to overwhelm the health care system, but is unlikely to stop the virus from spreading. Economy: Without a work force, the economy is certainly going to suffer. Therefore, we need to appreciate our jobs, work hard for job security, adjust to the requirements, and be frugal. The economy will improve again, with newer visions, and self-sufficiency. I estimate at least a 6 month time for recovery.
Stay healthy, be well,
Sincerely,
Cardiovascular Interventions
Old 18 March 2020, 08:18 AM   #2489
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Boarders are closed at the 49th parallel and now only 4 airports are accepting International flights...so a lot of diversions to those 4 cities..adding to the already strained authorities which are just getting up to speed.
We just returned from Mexico on Saturday just in time before more sh*t hits the fan. Yet Mexico had only(!) 41 reported cases then, mostly in Mexico City area (non in Cabo where we were..), tho more are expected through out.
Because we arrived from an 'international city', I'm being required to 'self-quarantine' for the obligatory 14 days, (zero symptoms) even tho Vancouver and Toronto, for example, have way more cases than all of Mexico...
But that's the Co's position and they're obliged to following the rules set forth by the authorities.
This isn't going to make it easy on the pocket book.. for A ton of people and businesses etal. A profound effect on the whole economy...!
Holy Hell...........
Profound indeed, but absolutely necessary. Travel-related spread needs to stop to prevent further community spread, so post travel quarantine is important. And the economy would be in a much worse position in the long run with a virus that rampages through and destroys health systems world wide like it has in Italy. Everyone is taking a financial loss, whether we like it or not.
Old 18 March 2020, 08:51 AM   #2490
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
glad to hear you are doing this. I really don't see many people talking about it. which is weird to me on most days. but now even more so. I wonder if all the worried people are drowning their worries in booze or junk food. I wonder if they are moving around a little and exercising. I wonder if they are taking their vitamins and eating fruits and vegetables.

my wife is a health nut. I am reasonably healthy. but I do like to drink and this has been a great excuse, as I am normally very measured.

she gave me a heap of crap last night and she is right.

I take care of myself very well in most things. but I am going to kick it into high gear.

more yoga. more mediation. more water. more black coffee and more sleep. less booze.
Great to hear this. I've cut down coffee to one double-shot over ice in the morning (down from a quad-shot over ice and a cup of drip in the afternoon)! We definitely try to keep things healthy at home with the right balance of comfort foods. We might opt for delivery tonight from one of our favorite local ramen joints in the neighborhood cause hot soup and noodles just sounds good today.

I've started doing morning yoga with my fiance in the morning. She typically does this every morning and has a whole list of YouTuber's she follows that post daily routine videos. On meditation, I took a page out of her daily routine and downloaded an app called BreathWorks. It's been pretty handy with breathing exercises and "re-centering" yourself throughout the day. Between the crazy news, stock market, and putting out fires with some of the companies my firm owns, the breathing exercises have been very helpful the past few days!

I've been limiting drinking to one pour of scotch a night (albeit a generous pour!). Been alternating between Lagavulin Distillers Edition and Oban Little Bay this week. Thankfully the bar cart is very well stocked right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I stopped going to the Gym last week, I found that exercise kept my breathing going. I live in the country and will take walks very early on a morning and I just bought a Concept II rower. I need to have some sort of structure otherwise my wellbeing will be affected.

I am luckier than some, I can get out into fields and live in a most beautiful part of England. Those living in urban areas and hi rise flats are the people I feel sorry for.
Awesome to hear this. That's probably the best piece of equipment you can buy for your home (in my humble opinion). I have a Concept II in my office and absolutely love it - machine will absolutely kick your *ss in all the right ways if you put the right effort into it. I was saying in another thread today, between having a full work setup and rowing machine in my office, I have no problem hunkering down for the long haul here!
Closed Thread