The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 19 March 2020, 09:55 PM   #2731
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I think face masks are a good idea either way (can't hurt), I just think the message here is for sick people only because there's a shortage.

I know they say the certain face masks won't necessarily prevent droplets from getting through, but think about it...wouldn't you rather have some barrier vs none? Would it lessen a chance of ingesting the virus? Even if a little?

Also, as Pickettt pointed out above... if we don't know who is sick and who is not, it would just be reasonable for everyone to wear one out in public as a precaution.
That’s a good point. If everyone wore a mask and we truly practiced keeping our hands clean I would think we would significantly reduce transmitting this thing in public. Especially in places like grocery stores where we all have to visit from time to time regardless of how bad things get.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 March 2020, 09:58 PM   #2732
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
True and he wasn’t expressing personal offense. Mountainjogger was only sharing an observation to help.

If it’s helpful, think of this thread like an “Officer Down” thread with regard to someone saying “prayers for the family” or “Godspeed”. That wouldn’t be the time or place to question that poster’s comment. It’s just a context thing.

Please don’t take offense, just sharing in the spirit of communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Paul. You said it better than I did. And it looks like you got us all back together again.

Starting to wonder if I might have misgivings about facing you in front of a jury. You do have a silver tongue. But you also speak from the heart with everyone's interest in mind.

Stay safe.
Old 19 March 2020, 09:58 PM   #2733
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Relax and enjoy your new Patek.
Two new Pateks.

All is swell with me. My concerns typically lie with others.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 19 March 2020, 10:01 PM   #2734
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_State View Post
A simple research would suggest you’re wrong on the healthcare system.
Your probably right.

But I’d still take my chances with the US healthcare system.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 19 March 2020, 10:04 PM   #2735
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Two new Pateks.
And I bought two new Seikos! Look for an incoming in that thread tomorrow.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:05 PM   #2736
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think face masks are a good idea either way (can't hurt), I just think the message here is for sick people only because there's a shortage.

I know they say the certain face masks won't necessarily prevent droplets from getting through, but think about it...wouldn't you rather have some barrier vs none? Would it lessen a chance of ingesting the virus? Even if a little?

Also, as Pickettt pointed out above... if we don't know who is sick and who is not, it would just be reasonable for everyone to wear one out in public as a precaution.
There isn’t any evidence that face masks for the general public are effective at curbing the spread of respiratory viruses. Of course, absence of evidence is not evidence of ineffectiveness. However they could theoretically be harmful.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a9396811.html
Old 19 March 2020, 10:12 PM   #2737
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
There isn’t any evidence that face masks for the general public are effective at curbing the spread of respiratory viruses. Of course, absence of evidence is not evidence of ineffectiveness. However they could theoretically be harmful.

I've read this too, but it seems like a common thing in the Asian countries, those that seem to being doing seemingly OK with handling the virus, Hong Kong, Japan, etc.

It seems like that article highlights ways that it could be harmful with non careful use of the mask... but would it be reasonably to expect that it would be helpful with very careful use?
Old 19 March 2020, 10:18 PM   #2738
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

With all due respect, the argument proposed by that article holds true for any object, not just masks. So, any object might be dangerous.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:21 PM   #2739
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
40% of people now hospitalized in the US with Coronavirus are between the ages of 20 and 55 years old. Reported on NBC News, The Today Show, this morning.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:22 PM   #2740
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've read this too, but it seems like a common thing in the Asian countries, those that seem to being doing seemingly OK with handling the virus, Hong Kong, Japan, etc.

It seems like that article highlights ways that it could be harmful with non careful use of the mask... but would it be reasonably to expect that it would be helpful with very careful use?
It appears that the Asian countries doing relatively well are doing lots of things that we’re not doing or have been slow to do e.g. widespread testing and contact tracing which better explain their relative success than masks. Also, without wishing to appear to perpetuate ignorant stereotypes, I imagine the populations of those countries are more likely to follow the advice of their governments. We wouldn’t in a million years I suppose see Japanese flocking to the beaches like the Floridians pictured up-thread.

I suppose that the best you could say is if you’re going to wear disposable masks, change them frequently to avoid eventually wearing a moist germ sink. But that’s not possible because of the run on masks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
With all due respect, the argument proposed by that article holds true for any object, not just masks. So, any object might be dangerous.
I suppose the point is, the wearing of masks is unlikely to make much difference to an individual or a population so it’s probably not worth worrying too much about.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:24 PM   #2741
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
40% of people now hospitalized in the US with Coronavirus are between the ages of 20 and 55 years old.
Like an idiot I watched six straight hours of the news last night. I don’t recommend that for anyone. However nowhere once did anyone say anything even close to that. Do you mind posting a link sir? Thank you.

Also your post seems to say that every government on the planet has absolutely been lying to us all along.

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 March 2020, 10:28 PM   #2742
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Like an idiot I watched six straight hours of the news last night. I don’t recommend that for anyone. However nowhere once did anyone say anything even close to that. Do you mind posting a link sir? Thank you.

Also your post seems to say that every government on the planet has absolutely been lying to us all along.
Reported on The Today Show this morning, NBC News.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:30 PM   #2743
chappuy1750
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC
Quote:
That’s a good point. If everyone wore a mask and we truly practiced keeping our hands clean I would think we would significantly reduce transmitting this thing in public. Especially in places like grocery stores where we all have to visit from time to time regardless of how bad things get.
Maybe it works because The mask is a visual reminder to practice social distancing.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:34 PM   #2744
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Reported on The Today Show this morning, NBC News.
I’ve searched every major news website and every major newspaper and no one says that. Not saying it’s not true but I would think that that would be the absolute biggest headline so far and would be plastered everywhere.

It would also mean that China, South Korea, Italy and all the other really bad places have been completely lying to us or it’s just different here in the United States.

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 March 2020, 10:35 PM   #2745
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve searched every major news website and every major newspaper and no one says that. Not saying it’s not true but I would think that that would be the absolute biggest headline so far and would be plastered everywhere.

It would also mean that China, South Korea, Italy and all the other really bad places have been completely lying to us or it’s just different here in the United States.
Here is a link from the New York Times.

Young patient hospitalization rate
Old 19 March 2020, 10:37 PM   #2746
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappuy1750 View Post
Maybe it works because The mask is a visual reminder to practice social distancing.
Interesting thought. Certainly nothing says “stay away from me, I might have the dreaded lurgy” quite like a chap donning a face mask on the Tube
Old 19 March 2020, 10:41 PM   #2747
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

From a report issued by the CDC yesterday:

“....of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54. And nearly half of the 121 patients who were admitted to intensive care units were adults under 65, the CDC reported.”
Old 19 March 2020, 10:43 PM   #2748
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Here is a link from the New York Times.

Young patient hospitalization rate
Thank you

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 March 2020, 10:46 PM   #2749
77T
2024 Pledge Member

On masks, today I have a large front door unit being replaced. 2 in the crew.

I’m the one providing the masks and nitrile gloves because I have quality materials I used in motorsports. I know it might not seem necessary - but it’s important the crew wears them.

It’s the stuff they may otherwise have expelled that a mask helps keep contained. Nothing is perfect. At best it’s only 95% effective.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 19 March 2020, 10:59 PM   #2750
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Boy you wouldn’t want to hear me chant, I have a terrible singing voice. I understand that you don’t get my hope prayer, heck I’m not even sure its a correct term, I probably made it up myself. I don’t know what to call it, it is my hope prayer (and belief) that medical science will come up with a cure, vaccine, whatever, to stop all those predicted hundreds of thousands from dying. Am I Naive? Probably, and that guy sure has a heck of a lot more knowledge on the subject then I do, if this were a thread about flying fighter jets in combat then I would have more informed opinion, but I still believe and if I’m proven wrong I’ll still hope. I don’t know why anyone would want to contradict me, maybe it’s an unrealistic goal but shouldn’t everyone be hoping (praying, whatever) that my vision is true? I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t, or belittle me for it, but it is my way of coping. You are right about everyone having their peace ( I think you spelled it wrong peace versus piece, eh, either one works ) and that’s important here. And thank you for respecting my way of dealing with the stress of this, whatever yours is I wish you strength, if we all respect each other’s opinions and strive towards the goal of beating this virus (even if it is a far-reach to hope so) then we will all be better for it.

Stay safe.
Amen. I’m praying and hoping for a positive outcome here too....and I know many others are...
Old 19 March 2020, 11:00 PM   #2751
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

I think we as a world are learning a major lesson about who the truly essential workers are in society. Healthcare workers, truckers, food service workers, grocers, gas station employees, sanitation workers, delivery employees, workers at the utility companies. They are the ones who allow us to continue life even during global catastrophe. My hat is tipped to all of them and to any of you on TRF keeping our world livable.
Old 19 March 2020, 11:03 PM   #2752
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

If, wearing a mask prevents the involuntary touching of your face with unwashed hands, wearing a mask might just be a good thing.

God bless, all our health workers, putting themselves, directly in harms way for our benefit.
Old 19 March 2020, 11:08 PM   #2753
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think we as a world are learning a major lesson about who the truly essential workers are in society. Healthcare workers, truckers, food service workers, grocers, gas station employees, sanitation workers, delivery employees, workers at the utility companies. They are the ones who allow us to continue life even during global catastrophe. My hat is tipped to all of them and to any of you on TRF keeping our world livable.
Hear, hear!
Old 19 March 2020, 11:18 PM   #2754
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
In Italy you have multiple generations living together.

And a less than desirable healthcare system.
This is totally false. Both statements are at least uninformed. We're not in the fifties of the last century, you know...
Old 19 March 2020, 11:27 PM   #2755
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I'm still stuck on this mask thing too. They say the mask doesn't prevent you from getting infected, but only prevents you from infecting someone else. However, if you can be asymptomatic and still infect others (as they say)...then EVERYONE should be wearing a mask since those who can infect others don't even know they can. It's simple to understand. So simple that... nevermind.

That’s nonsense pedaled to hide the fact that we don’t have enough masks or the capacity to make what’s needed in time.

Quote:

That’s nonsense as it basically says masks are no good because people won’t use them correctly. Ok well a simple 3 minute tutorial will allow people to understand they are one time use and not to touch them or your face.

Dr Michael Osterholm has stated clearly that n95 masks used properly are highly effective.
Old 19 March 2020, 11:28 PM   #2756
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
This is totally false. Both statements are at least uninformed. We're not in the fifties of the last century, you know...

Yes Fabio, understandable response.

Folks - let’s stop trying to make critical comments about this or that country’s facilities. It’s unhelpful and often uninformed.

Policies, governance, health systems, etc vary widely across the globe and are what the people in that country have instituted. Best to respect their pride in them rather than criticize even by innuendo.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 19 March 2020, 11:32 PM   #2757
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That’s nonsense pedaled to hide the fact that we don’t have enough masks or the capacity to make what’s needed in time.
I know that, that’s why I just abruptly cut off the rant I was about to go on.
Old 19 March 2020, 11:34 PM   #2758
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

[insert comment here]
Old 19 March 2020, 11:39 PM   #2759
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Anyone else find these posts on social media from celebrities patronising?!

Arnie giving isolation tips from his hot tub! Bless him, really suffering. His house is probably bigger than most people’s neighbourhood! Try a one bed apartment!

Some having to use their own indoor pools for exercise, the sacrifice is incredible

All still looking for followers and likes its ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 March 2020, 11:45 PM   #2760
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The TRF Coronavirus think tankers aren’t the only ones noticing about Japan:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...an-where-is-it

So cases in the West are blowing up and we can’t go to restaurants or have any gatherings..etc. Some areas people can’t leave the house other than for food or emergency.

Meanwhile, in Japan, people are going to work, still cramming into trains, but they have less than 1000 cases.....and they aren’t seeing a run on hospitals with a spike in pneumonia, so it’s not being classified as something else for optics..

Is it the masks? Lack of handshaking? Weather is cool and pretty dry...so I don’t see that being much help.

Also Look at Bangladesh. Dhaka is the epitome of overcrowding: they have 10 cases...10!!!

But it’s 100F there...

So much we don’t know yet.
Closed Thread