The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 May 2023, 08:18 AM   #2791
Nsane
"TRF" Member

Hi all.
I really like the Antarctique and have the opportunity to buy one.

MY wrist measures 6.5 inches/16.5cm.
I am not sure whether I should go for the 40.5 or the 38.5. Unfortunately, I cannot really try them in person...

For comparison, I own a RO Chrono 38mm and find it right for my wrist. I also have a Breguet Marine Big Date 5817, 39mm...again I find it right for my wrist.

I have browsed this thread...and it appears that others with similar wrist sizes to my own have struggled with the 40.5 vs 38.5 question....

Any advice?
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 11:35 AM   #2792
Gated.6
"TRF" Member

Also have a RO, a 15300 which is 39mm and always felt it wears too large for me.

Had it on when I was able to try on the 40.5mm Antarctique and believe it to wear smaller due to the articulation of the bracelet.

My wrist is even smaller than yours and I opted for the 40.5mm. Part of that is the lack of detailing around the midcase on the 38.5mm (necessitated by the movement) but ultimately a deal breaker for me.
Gated.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 08:09 PM   #2793
Werk782
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gated.6 View Post
Also have a RO, a 15300 which is 39mm and always felt it wears too large for me.

Had it on when I was able to try on the 40.5mm Antarctique and believe it to wear smaller due to the articulation of the bracelet.

My wrist is even smaller than yours and I opted for the 40.5mm. Part of that is the lack of detailing around the midcase on the 38.5mm (necessitated by the movement) but ultimately a deal breaker for me.

Agree that 40.5mm has more details and i like it more. I think. The design also quite slim to wear as a 40mm watch too.
Werk782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 02:37 AM   #2794
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsane View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot really try them in person...
If you can get to Connecticut, you can try them on....
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 06:16 AM   #2795
Nsane
"TRF" Member

I have arranged a try-on for the end of this week.

I will take some pics, comparing with my RO 38mm and Breguet 39mm. Hopefully, it can help others down the line.
Old 31 May 2023, 06:47 AM   #2796
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

40.5 should be fine for you. Works great on my 6.6. Only niggle is I need both adjusts out
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 07:42 AM   #2797
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
40.5 should be fine for you. Works great on my 6.6. Only niggle is I need both adjusts out
Why? Can't you add in a half-link on each side instead, or does that end up too large?
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 07:52 AM   #2798
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Half link? Don’t think it comes with. Just the two bump outs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2023, 02:11 PM   #2799
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Half link? Don’t think it comes with. Just the two bump outs

You should have a couple of longer links in the box, around 1.3-1.5 links. Swap one or 2 regular links out for those. Took me a bit of trial and error, now it’s just a touch loose when my wrist is cold, but using both adjustments on the clasp it works well on a hot day with max wrist swelling.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 10:22 PM   #2800
deuxani
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsane View Post
Hi all.
I really like the Antarctique and have the opportunity to buy one.

MY wrist measures 6.5 inches/16.5cm.
I am not sure whether I should go for the 40.5 or the 38.5. Unfortunately, I cannot really try them in person...

For comparison, I own a RO Chrono 38mm and find it right for my wrist. I also have a Breguet Marine Big Date 5817, 39mm...again I find it right for my wrist.

I have browsed this thread...and it appears that others with similar wrist sizes to my own have struggled with the 40.5 vs 38.5 question....

Any advice?
It's all about your preference. My wrist is 18cm and I prefer the 38.5mm. The Antarctique doesn't wear big, because the case and bracelet are pretty thin and it sits flush on the wrist. However it does look bigger because it doesn't have a bezel, so you see a lot of dial on the wrist. I would definitely advise to try it one somewhere, because even from all the photos and videos it's difficult to say which version you would like.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 11:05 PM   #2801
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

So I have a very small 6” wrist and I very happily wear my 40.5 despite nearly every other watch I own being between 35 and 38.5mm. It is very slim with short lugs, which makes it wear much smaller than the advertised numbers. That said, mine is one of the first Terre Adelies, and if the 38.5 had been available, I probably would have gone for that…
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 01:42 AM   #2802
gm58
"TRF" Member

Might be of interest to some! Found a podcast ft Adrian Buchmann (the designer between the CW 12 and the Czapek Antarctique) discussing his career etc.

https://www.therealtime.show/episode...design-sequent

He also talks about the recent noise about the comparisons between the Twelve and Antarctique - check out at 54 minute, he gives his take on the differences.

TDLR - he 100% does NOT agree that they are in any way similar and actually are completely in a different category (fine watchmaking/ more complex to do vs good quality, affordable watchmaking)

Czapek - curvier and softer lines, holding in hand - you get a more refined feel, movement is special too
Twelve - more aggressive with straight lines, playing closer to a Royal Oak
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 08:59 AM   #2803
Nsane
"TRF" Member

So I am back from my try-on.
Pics first:
https://ibb.co/R0gt0qz
https://ibb.co/2qJxzvx
https://ibb.co/prCvFFF
https://ibb.co/0jwdbz4

Pics show a 40.5mm Anctarctique Monochrome White next to a ROC 38mm, a Tonda PF 40mm, a Breguet Marine 39mm, and on its own.

My wrist is 6.5/6.6 inches.

My views:
-Loved the movement.
-Extremely Comfortable. Both the watch itself and the bracelet.
-Finishing is excellent. In my humble and non-expert opinion, on par with the Tonda PF...but below my ROC. Not a deal breaker. Just my impression.

-Sizing and proportions. In my eyes...and for my wrist...I feel that the 40.5 looks a little big. This is not immediately evident from the pics - you can notice it a little in the pics with the ROC and Breguet Marine. There is a lot of dial...
But I am VERY torn.

-In my eyes...though it does not come across from the pic, the Tonda PF was a little more proportionate. But I recognize that this might very well be because the Tonda PF was in a dark dial configuration as opposed to the Anctartique being monochrome white.

I might be able to try on one of the Antarctique celestial dials soon.
I want to see whether I feel differently about the sizing and proportions with a dark(er) dial.

I would like to try on a 38.5.
I suspect that I would be instantly sold on a 38.5, with celestial dial...but then I also loved the recessed case sides...which the 38.5 does not have.

So yea. I am still undecided.
Old 2 June 2023, 09:49 AM   #2804
Chrasmus
"TRF" Member

I am actually surprised to say this, but I believe that the 38.5 would be perfect for you. The 40.5 looks just a bit too large. Over the years, I have figured out that it is not only the case size that matters, but also how large the bezel is. Therefore, a 38.5mm case with a small bezel will look similar to a 41mm watch with a large bezel - since the face size might actually be the same.
Chrasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 09:24 PM   #2805
Gated.6
"TRF" Member

Note that the chapter ring design on the standard dial 40.5 "12" dial is completely different and draws the indices in much closer to the center of the watch. This reduces how much dial is effectively displayed and changes how the watch presents.

IMO, much more favorably on a smaller wrist.
Gated.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 10:43 PM   #2806
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrasmus View Post
I am actually surprised to say this, but I believe that the 38.5 would be perfect for you. The 40.5 looks just a bit too large. Over the years, I have figured out that it is not only the case size that matters, but also how large the bezel is. Therefore, a 38.5mm case with a small bezel will look similar to a 41mm watch with a large bezel - since the face size might actually be the same.
fully agree
swaini3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:22 AM   #2807
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

40.5 for me and my 6.6-6.7

Old 6 June 2023, 04:15 AM   #2808
silvertip
"TRF" Member

The 40.5 looks great. However, you might just perceive it a little larger due to the white dial. The darker blue and black dials would appear visually smaller (not sure about the light ice blue).
silvertip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 03:43 PM   #2809
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

Looks like I’m up after putting in an order right before W&W 2022 with a tentative manufacture start in July. I’m going to ask these questions tomorrow direct to Mike & Czapek HQ, but if anyone has any feedback…would be much appreciated.

At the time I placed a deposit, I believe it was 5,000 CHF w/ 100 CHF cancel per their website at the time of order. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore (at least for new orders), but if anyone did cancel, let me know.

Does anyone know if Topper in Burlingame actually has pieces to try on? The 38.5 vs. 40.5 decision is still killing me. Also not sure if its possible to change case configuration at this point.

Context - timing is bad. Awaiting a decision @ work in September that could change how I allocate funds for the rest of the year. Just want to understand what my options are right now.
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 03:25 AM   #2810
nellyregulate
"TRF" Member

One of the most active TRF threads has gone so quiet lately…
Wrist shots will wake it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4251.jpeg (81.0 KB, 370 views)
nellyregulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 06:13 AM   #2811
break
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
Looks like I’m up after putting in an order right before W&W 2022 with a tentative manufacture start in July. I’m going to ask these questions tomorrow direct to Mike & Czapek HQ, but if anyone has any feedback…would be much appreciated.

At the time I placed a deposit, I believe it was 5,000 CHF w/ 100 CHF cancel per their website at the time of order. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore (at least for new orders), but if anyone did cancel, let me know.

Does anyone know if Topper in Burlingame actually has pieces to try on? The 38.5 vs. 40.5 decision is still killing me. Also not sure if its possible to change case configuration at this point.

Context - timing is bad. Awaiting a decision @ work in September that could change how I allocate funds for the rest of the year. Just want to understand what my options are right now.
Topper seems to have pre-owned inventory in stock so I suspect you can at least try on a 40.5mm Antarctique.

Their site also lists the Frozen Star S as in-stock but they're only accepting deposits. I suspect it's a pre-order.
break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 07:46 AM   #2812
magicman
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know whether the Czapek Antarctique is 11.3mm thick or 10.6mm? I see both in different articles online.

For those who use the rubber strap, how comfortable is it compared to the bracelet? Does it have any micro adjustment or fine sizing, or does it feel too loose or too tight at times?
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 03:29 PM   #2813
gm58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Good eye. I emailed this same picture to Czapek and asked about this one. They told me It was a prototype they were working on. Never went to production.

Finally found it - a prototype of a fully luminous dial that was auctioned off at Iconeek! Wasnt a very high price at all maybe not many people knew about it... however it seems like a limited edition run might be on the way after this prototype

https://www.iconeek.com/auction-lot/...1-1_22C4A76847

Wonder how the lume will look (similar to FPJ or more Tissot)
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2023, 09:04 PM   #2814
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm58 View Post
Finally found it - a prototype of a fully luminous dial that was auctioned off at Iconeek!
Pic below. Am glad Czapek didn't go for the 'low-hanging fruit' of TIF dial color.

Untitled-1.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 08:01 AM   #2815
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Czapek

For anyone who has recently received their antartique who placed an order last year: how delayed was your watch? My build date is august (40.5 glacier blue) and just wondering how behind Czapek is. Thanks !

Also- curious, for those who have received, any changes you would have made in your build (eg, 38 vs 40, 12 vs DI, dial color)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 04:58 PM   #2816
Wuls
"TRF" Member

They generally are going for well below retail now. Watch collecting couldn’t even get £15.5k inc fees for Glacier Blue (on 2nd attempt, should have taken the higher bid first time is the lesson for this vendor). So a prototype being at bottom end of range should be best you can expect.

Quote:
Finally found it - a prototype of a fully luminous dial that was auctioned off at Iconeek! Wasnt a very high price at all maybe not many people knew about it... however it seems like a limited edition run might be on the way after this prototype

Wuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 08:41 PM   #2817
deuxani
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow, so that one off turquoise dial sold for CHF 23,500.00, that’s ridiculously low, basically retail for the regular models. Didn’t expect that.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 10:29 PM   #2818
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Market for these are definitely back to msrp less depreciation. My guess is it does impact preorders and dealers having nothing sooner or later. This is happening to everything except the big three
Old 25 June 2023, 11:36 PM   #2819
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Big 3 being Rolex, PP and... ?
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 12:31 AM   #2820
fmc000
Banned

Ap?
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote