The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 May 2023, 05:15 AM   #1
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

Adding 2...but which?

Many vintage and modern pieces have come and gone throughout the years as I have learned more about this hobby and my tastes in a collection. I have learned that I enjoy being slightly unique with what I wear on my wrists.

I have narrowed down to a few selections and wanted to get input as to which 2 you would add to the current collection?

The two seamsters are my alternative to the Rolex Submariner. They fit wonderfully (after adding micro adjustment clasps) and fly under the radar much more than a Sub, or something similar from the Professional line, for every day use. The Laventure is a great occasional watch that can double as a sports watch as needed and the uniqueness of the 18k gold dial made it a must have for me.

I believe my every-day watches are rather set with the two pre-c seamasters, I now would like to add a couple fun and sporty pieces that offer flexibility of rubber strap and uniqueness on the wrist.

Currently, I am rotating between:
Omega Seamaster Peter Blake 2254.50 (speedy bracelet)
Omega Seamaster Electric Blue 2255.80 (speedy bracelet)
Laventure Sous-Marine (gold dial)

4 Options on the Table:
Rolex Sprite
Vacheron 7900v (black)
Rolex 116518 Paul Newman OF
AP 15720 Khaki Green

*Not sure how to inset a photo but the attachment shows current trio & current options*

Thanks for the input,
RoA

Some fun ones from the past:
60's Semaster 300
Linde Werdelin Spidolite
Rolex 126600
IWC 3548-06
Tudor 7021 blue snowflake
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (117.5 KB, 81 views)
Ryanonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 05:47 AM   #2
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanonarcher View Post
Many vintage and modern pieces have come and gone throughout the years as I have learned more about this hobby and my tastes in a collection. I have learned that I enjoy being slightly unique with what I wear on my wrists.

I have narrowed down to a few selections and wanted to get input as to which 2 you would add to the current collection?

The two seamsters are my alternative to the Rolex Submariner. They fit wonderfully (after adding micro adjustment clasps) and fly under the radar much more than a Sub, or something similar from the Professional line, for every day use. The Laventure is a great occasional watch that can double as a sports watch as needed and the uniqueness of the 18k gold dial made it a must have for me.

I believe my every-day watches are rather set with the two pre-c seamasters, I now would like to add a couple fun and sporty pieces that offer flexibility of rubber strap and uniqueness on the wrist.

Currently, I am rotating between:
Omega Seamaster Peter Blake 2254.50 (speedy bracelet)
Omega Seamaster Electric Blue 2255.80 (speedy bracelet)
Laventure Sous-Marine (gold dial)

4 Options on the Table:
Rolex Sprite
Vacheron 7900v (black)
Rolex 116518 Paul Newman OF
AP 15720 Khaki Green

*Not sure how to inset a photo but the attachment shows current trio & current options*

Thanks for the input,
RoA

Some fun ones from the past:
60's Semaster 300
Linde Werdelin Spidolite
Rolex 126600
IWC 3548-06
Tudor 7021 blue snowflake
I'd go for the VC and Rolex PN
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 11:20 AM   #3
nauti1us
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing.
I say VC and AP
nauti1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 01:09 PM   #4
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the opinions - I believe VC is an “easy” choice with its relative uniqueness and it’s chameleon characteristics looking great on a rubber strap.

I do think it will come down to the VC + AP or PN.

Would be great to get the AP on the wrist prior to deciding.
Old 21 May 2023, 01:12 PM   #5
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
VC 100% I don’t know why you’re considering the other 3, none of them are desirable as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 02:23 PM   #6
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

The VC wears a big and I love mine. I’ve compared it to the AP diver, but after you put the VC on a khaki green rubber strap, you will realize the AP diver is redundant.
Old 21 May 2023, 11:36 PM   #7
vliberman
"TRF" Member

None of the watches u listed are unique…. None fly under the radar…. Your post is really should I buy Rolex or VC

If u want unique, look at independent brands…
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 11:42 PM   #8
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
The VC wears a big and I love mine. I’ve compared it to the AP diver, but after you put the VC on a khaki green rubber strap, you will realize the AP diver is redundant.
I can agree with this - where did you stumble upon a green colored vc rubber strap?
Old 21 May 2023, 11:46 PM   #9
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti1us View Post
I say VC and AP
Same
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 05:57 AM   #10
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can agree with this - where did you stumble upon a green colored vc rubber strap?
Here: https://vagenari.com/products/rubber...tsId=undefined

I don't own it so can't say for sure, but the last one appears similar to the AP's green. Other members have reported that Vagenari is good quality and very similar to OEM strap.

BTW, how do you like the Laventure? Congrats for landing that one. I've been interested in the brand, but it's impossible to get direct and after market prices are crazy...
Old 23 May 2023, 11:41 AM   #11
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
VC and AP
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 12:26 PM   #12
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
Here: https://vagenari.com/products/rubber...tsId=undefined

I don't own it so can't say for sure, but the last one appears similar to the AP's green. Other members have reported that Vagenari is good quality and very similar to OEM strap.

BTW, how do you like the Laventure? Congrats for landing that one. I've been interested in the brand, but it's impossible to get direct and after market prices are crazy...

Thanks for the info, the straps look promising and gives a lot more flexibility to the overseas than it already had. Also found DeLugs creating custom leather with a lot of options.

I really enjoy the Laventure and the dial is so unique. I am unsure if I would purchase another Laventure in the future but I think they are decent value at retail. Certainly worth a closer look if there is a dial color missing from your collection.
Old 30 May 2023, 12:04 PM   #13
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

I have not taken my black dial 7900V off since collecting it 18 months ago. It's super comfortable and have 3 rubber straps (red, white & black) to switch things up. It flies under the radar well, I'm also yet to see anther out in the wild.

Quote:
Also found DeLugs creating custom leather with a lot of options.
Feedback on DeLugs has been hit and miss due to the QR and QC it seems. VC also offer custom leather straps for a small premium.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 05:03 PM   #14
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I'd go for the VC and Rolex PN
+1. I agree with others that they’re not “unique” but the VC and the 116518 are hardly common - I’ve never seen anyone else wearing either.

VC has the versatility in straps and the 116518 has oysterflex and YG for a change. I don’t even like YG watches but the more I look at that the more I like it. (And the VC is one of my all time favourites partly because it’s much less common.)
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 09:30 PM   #15
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
From that list I like the Sprite and VC 7900v. Personally I like the Overseas gen2 dual time a lot, It uses the same movement as the pre-2016 AP RO dual time which is another favorite of mine.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:47 AM   #16
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
I have not taken my black dial 7900V off since collecting it 18 months ago. It's super comfortable and have 3 rubber straps (red, white & black) to switch things up. It flies under the radar well, I'm also yet to see anther out in the wild.

Feedback on DeLugs has been hit and miss due to the QR and QC it seems. VC also offer custom leather straps for a small premium.
I am quite excited for the 7900V for all the reasons you mention here. How has the bezel held up with the consistent use?

I have seen DeLugs write a few posts on the forum about a 'break-in' period needed for their lug connection system. I should explore VC's leather options to see if there is one that comes close to DeLug's Nubuck light grey color that I think would look phenomenal on the 7900V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
+1. I agree with others that they’re not “unique” but the VC and the 116518 are hardly common - I’ve never seen anyone else wearing either.

VC has the versatility in straps and the 116518 has oysterflex and YG for a change. I don’t even like YG watches but the more I look at that the more I like it. (And the VC is one of my all time favourites partly because it’s much less common.)
Perhaps 'unique' was not the perfect word, but uncommon is more like it. I like the uncommonness of the 116518 PN compared to the more common Daytonas. I think it does a great job of blending a pm with sport and style - in quite a 'unique' color way ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
From that list I like the Sprite and VC 7900v. Personally I like the Overseas gen2 dual time a lot, It uses the same movement as the pre-2016 AP RO dual time which is another favorite of mine.
I do like the Sprite but I don't believe I would wear it as much as it still 'looks' like a traditional professional model Rolex. Not a bad thing at all, but at this time I will probably lean towards the other three options. I have also tried to like the Gen2 overseas but am drawn much more to the current iteration.

Thanks for chiming in everyone.
Old 31 May 2023, 04:50 AM   #17
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

duplicate
Old 31 May 2023, 05:15 AM   #18
WatchTimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
VC
If you are left handed get the Sprite
If you aren't left handed I don't get the obsession with the Sprite.
I tried wearing a watch on my right wrist and it felt very weird and I find the crown up on my left wrist unnatural

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 05:25 AM   #19
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
VC
If you are left handed get the Sprite
If you aren't left handed I don't get the obsession with the Sprite.
I tried wearing a watch on my right wrist and it felt very weird and I find the crown up on my left wrist unnatural
When I had my Pelagos LHD I actually quite liked wearing the piece as the crown wasn't digging in to my wrist. What I despised was winding it though!

VC is at the top of the list. Sprite has become a distant memory at this point.

I had interest in the Sprite because of the green color. I wear a lot of natural, muted colors and like the idea of green in the collection - hence my draw to the khaki green 15720.
Old 1 June 2023, 05:00 PM   #20
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am quite excited for the 7900V for all the reasons you mention here. How has the bezel held up with the consistent use?
The polished bezel fairs very well, yes there are hairlines but you don't see them unless you really focus in to search for them.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:32 PM   #21
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I would take the 2 Rolex.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 01:28 AM   #22
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

Had the opportunity to try on both the khaki green 15720 and a silver dial 7900v yesterday.

The 7900v build quality is something else. You can feel the 150m water resistance in your hand and it reinforces the feeling that that watch can handle just about any situation thrown at it. I never had that same feeling while handling the Royal oak line - and it’s something I value in a watch. A definite win and confirms my desire to seek out a black dial.

The 15720 is obviously built like a tank but I was not immediately captured by the piece while it was on my wrist. Although I can handle the lug to lug and width of the piece, I think it is just too thick for my liking and I might take a pause on the 15720 and try to seek out the original 15701 scuba…which is amazingly the same thickness as the 7900v.

I think yesterday might have given credence to adding the Paul Newman in to the collection for some case material variety over the offshore’s steel.

We shall see. Thanks again for the input and info.
Old 8 June 2023, 11:57 AM   #23
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

Thanks to a TRF member, one of two have been added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2966.jpeg (92.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 8 June 2023, 02:22 PM   #24
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Very nice. Wish I have a broader wrist like you.

I saw in the other thread that you bought the green strap from vageneri. Show us some pics and let us know what you think when you get it.