The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 July 2022, 01:41 AM   #31
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

It will either look great or super cheap IRL. Would need to see it in person first.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2022, 02:01 AM   #32
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

You kinda have to go white on pure intrigue alone. Can always slap non branded leather on it if needed. Or slap it on watchrecon like 50% will be lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2022, 01:44 AM   #33
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Some "real life" pics from Fratello's article for those that missed it:

thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2022, 01:44 AM   #34
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Some "real life" pics from Fratello's article for those that missed it: https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...rsary-edition/

Old 1 August 2022, 04:31 AM   #35
djnick
"TRF" Member

looks great many of the articles stated that its difficult the capture the "3d" look of the dial with pictures
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 02:53 AM   #36
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Received my strap selection email today and happy to see there is an option to have both straps for an extra 200 CHF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 01:00 PM   #37
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I went white
Old 6 August 2022, 10:46 PM   #38
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I went white
+1
I think the burgundy looks a bit off with the watch tbh. A black rubberized strap may have been better looking imo
Old 8 August 2022, 08:09 PM   #39
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
I also need to make a selection until the end of this week. Hesitating between the options. Do I understand correctly that burgundy is not water resistant?
chaosiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 12:05 AM   #40
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
I saw this thread late so am on the cancellation list which I'm sure means not very likely to get it but worth a shot cool looking watch.
Old 9 August 2022, 01:30 AM   #41
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosiwe View Post
I also need to make a selection until the end of this week. Hesitating between the options. Do I understand correctly that burgundy is not water resistant?

I don’t believe so, as on the Ming site only the rubber straps are billed as “watersafe.”

soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 03:24 AM   #42
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho View Post
I don’t believe so, as on the Ming site only the rubber straps are billed as “watersafe.”

I have the leather strap on my 17.09 (actually wearing it right now!) -- I would not submerge it in water. That said, I ended up going with the burgundy on this one. The quality of the leather strap is quite nice and I tend to throw a dive watch on when I'm headed swimming.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 01:50 PM   #43
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
I saw this thread late so am on the cancellation list which I'm sure means not very likely to get it but worth a shot cool looking watch.
Huh how about that 10 months later I got an email offering the watch. Still think its a cool looking watch so why not.
Old 26 May 2023, 09:29 PM   #44
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
Huh how about that 10 months later I got an email offering the watch. Still think its a cool looking watch so why not.
Wait 2 months and you’ll get nib under retail as they are delivered. Race to the bottom
Old 27 May 2023, 05:01 AM   #45
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

hah might be mine. returned mine didn't even open the wrapping. cool watch but dunno when I'd wear it really
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 12:05 AM   #46
buddenfan
Banned

Anyone have theirs or handle one in real life? Curious for some reviews
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 11:39 AM   #47
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Not gonna lie i read here and from ming about needing to call my bank ahead of time before trying to purchase and its my busy season at work and that sounded exhausting so i just didnt complete the order haha

Oh well maybe ill look at a used one when they start popping up.
Old 17 August 2023, 02:31 AM   #48
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho View Post
I think it’s great that Ming did this.

The strap choice will be tough for me. While I agree that the burgundy is probably the better option as a daily strap, there is something bold about the white that makes it hard to pass on. I guess I have about a week to decide .

I love my white strap but will also order this oxblood and the metal one
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71175536723__8D9F8718-BD5C-48A3-8CEA-E62506D9CCE5.jpeg (80.9 KB, 168 views)
Old 12 October 2023, 11:12 PM   #49
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone pick up todays black out version
Old 13 October 2023, 12:23 AM   #50
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
No. I think it's fairly overpriced with an outdated casing and an actually unlimited (250 pieces...) quantity. I think, Ming goes into a wrong way if they try to enter this price range. Just for fun, they ask the price of a BB Harrods.

Do they kidding?

EDIT: Hours after the release, it's still available to buy. IMHO THIS in itself says all.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 01:00 AM   #51
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Less than two hours it’s sold out. So my guess is that they’re still happy.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 02:30 AM   #52
INC
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not surprised they were able to sell 250 pieces, but I'd be very surprised if there weren't a dozen for sale soon... and soon after at a lower price then the MSRP, just like as we can see in the case of Kyoto. Not to mention the second hand price of the "limited" 17.09 burgundy and blue. For this price or even less you can purchase the former monolith version, which was manufactured only in 150 pieces.

But that's me. And for the ones who ordered it, I wish you to enjoy your brand new beauty :)
Old 13 October 2023, 03:14 AM   #53
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
I'm not surprised they were able to sell 250 pieces, but I'd be very surprised if there weren't a dozen for sale soon... and soon after at a lower price then the MSRP, just like as we can see in the case of Kyoto. Not to mention the second hand price of the "limited" 17.09 burgundy and blue. For this price or even less you can purchase the former monolith version, which was manufactured only in 150 pieces.

But that's me. And for the ones who ordered it, I wish you to enjoy your brand new beauty :)
I was just reacting to the fact you had described 250 as “actually unlimited” which I took to mean hard to sell that amount. And that it was hours and still available to buy.

Yes it took hours — almost 2 — and they all were reserved. To me, that shows demand. It also might show flipping is dead as it wasn’t minutes (good). And you might be right that they’ll be less than MSRP once people get their hands on them—like many many watches. Of course, if you buy the wear, you’ll never have to worry about that.

But there was demand for this watch; more so than the last one they offered I think, which I had considered buying but the reserve button seemed available for maybe over a day (but I could be imagining that).
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 04:12 AM   #54
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think any of the last couple of releases have gone over msrp on the secondary. To try and flip a piece to make maybe a hundred bucks seems silly at this stage. The weird thing that I don't get is you can return a watch after delivery but can't cancel your deposit. Is that to try and discourage flippers?
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 06:19 AM   #55
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
Yes it took hours — almost 2 — and they all were reserved. To me, that shows demand. It also might show flipping is dead as it wasn’t minutes (good).
Actually, I didn't mean to suggest that there is no demand for it at all. On the contrary, I actually wanted to imply that this "limited quantity" of 250 was closer to what could be sold of this watch at all. I think a truly limited to 50/100/250 pieces watch that creates real demand would be snapped up in minutes. I've seen it before, I missed it, that's why I think this way.

Quote:
But there was demand for this watch; more so than the last one they offered I think, which I had considered buying but the reserve button seemed available for maybe over a day (but I could be imagining that).
For example, I received an e-mail that there was still some available for purchase, even though it had been shown as "sold out" on the site for months.

However, this is just an opinion, which is mostly about the charm of novelty is starting to fade in the case of Ming. I think the reissued old series take the brand in the wrong direction. Even if you can sell these "resurrected" watches once or twice, but... you know, if they declare, that they will not make such a watch ever more, but later they willl start to make almost the same series... IMHO it's not a good business strategy for the recurring buyers.
Old 14 October 2023, 12:19 AM   #56
smalleq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No. I think it's fairly overpriced with an outdated casing and an actually unlimited (250 pieces...) quantity. I think, Ming goes into a wrong way if they try to enter this price range. Just for fun, they ask the price of a BB Harrods.

Do they kidding?

EDIT: Hours after the release, it's still available to buy. IMHO THIS in itself says all.
I can't convince you on value...most watches are crap on value (and I wouldn't touch the overly chunky, slab-sided Black Bay with your wrist), but I really like my SS 37.07 and as someone who owns and actively wears watches from a $1k MSRP to $15k and has handled a lot of others, the $3.5k feels about right the right price for the 37.07. I've also owned a couple of different Ming's from the previous series that I paid quite a bit less for new. This series, in terms of feel and design, is a marked improvement over the 17.06 and 17.09

Are they 1.5-3x better than what I paid for those? I can't say, but between the law of diminishing returns and inflation...it does feel about right. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the price point.
smalleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 04:22 AM   #57
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalleq View Post
I can't convince you on value...
It's not a big deal, it's only my personal opinion for myself, it doesn't mean at all that you should feel the same. What would happen on Earth, if we all would like the same stuff, feelings, women?

For example, in this case, we know that at least 250 people felt that this watch worth that much and paid for it. SO this fact alone proves that this watch is worth so much money to so many people. There is no debate at all between us on this!

However if you see these arguments, you can see, they are simple opinions, and both can be valid in the same time.

Quote:
most watches are crap on value (and I wouldn't touch the overly chunky, slab-sided Black Bay with your wrist)
I simply compared the prices, but didn't order any of these. Me too not the fan of Tudor either. This was also a simple opinion on comparing price ranges.

Quote:
but I really like my SS 37.07 and as someone who owns and actively wears watches from a $1k MSRP to $15k and has handled a lot of others, the $3.5k feels about right the right price for the 37.07.
For those who fell in love with this watch, it is undoubtedly worth the price, but that was never a question! However, since I didn't feel the same, I looked at it a little differently in terms of pricing: I don't see this price increase compared to other Mings justified in the case of this watch.

Quote:
I've also owned a couple of different Ming's from the previous series that I paid quite a bit less for new.
If I recall now, the previous models were much more reasonably priced, and I also considered them completely rational. A microband watch is definitely worth that much, there's no doubt about that.

Moreover, I also like them, my view on these is that they are actually real black tie watches, because paradoxically, these fits for for all the conditions and all the unwritten rules regarding a dress watch. Even if these watches are practically still not the best choices for such events

Quote:
Are they 1.5-3x better than what I paid for those? I can't say, but between the law of diminishing returns and inflation...it does feel about right. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the price point.
I am not a watch expert, I simply told my opinion on a watch. Which I would also admire, but not at this price! In addition, I was particularly disturbed by the fact that Ming lied for the second time after the moonphase watch, since in both cases they said that they would no longer produce such a watch. I don't think that's fair, because people don't just buy a "limited edition" watch because they like it, but also because it's special because of the small produciton number. So, when the same thing is later released with a different numbering, and mostly in a larger quantity, it basically puts me off wanting something "badly" and paying the premium for "the limited series".

But that's me, and that's all! I totally understand the ones, who fell in love with this watch and purchased one!
Old 16 October 2023, 12:23 AM   #58
buddenfan
Banned

Ming needs to focus on delivering previous models instead of offering new ones while customers still wait for older ones.

This system of pre orders is horrible. Give me money and wait months on end for your watch needs to be done with
Old 16 October 2023, 07:37 AM   #59
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In addition, I was particularly disturbed by the fact that Ming lied for the second time after the moonphase watch, since in both cases they said that they would no longer produce such a watch. I don't think that's fair, because people don't just buy a "limited edition" watch because they like it, but also because it's special because of the small produciton number. So, when the same thing is later released with a different numbering, and mostly in a larger quantity, it basically puts me off wanting something "badly" and paying the premium for "the limited series".

But that's me, and that's all! I totally understand the ones, who fell in love with this watch and purchased one!
While they are similar in some ways, the previous Moonphase (37.05) and the new Moonphase (37.05 S2) are very different in person (I owned the first gen and recently got the second). So I'm not sure if that really could count as a lie. They didn't claim to end the 37.05 moonphase line or the 37 series family. With the 37.07 Monolith I think the overall differences are fewer between Monolith and Mosaic, but I think changing the color of the case and the dial is different enough. That's just my opinion though.
Old 16 October 2023, 04:00 PM   #60
INC
2024 Pledge Member

I don't want to argue with you, because you are right and so am I too. My feelings are mine, yours are yours. This makes life on earth beautiful, we do not need a winner or an exclusive opinion: I was disappointed in Ming, you were not.

I think this is great news for both of us, since I will definitely not take a piece of the next limited series from you, and it's great for me too, because I no longer desire to own such a watch. Win-win :)