The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 May 2023, 03:10 AM   #271
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
My Satsuki Azalea Bonsai in full spring colour flowers, they both flowered a bit earlier this year.The name Satsuki is primarily a female name of Japanese origin that means 5th moon or the month of May.

Flowers all white this year sometimes get red and white

This one sometimes more white flowers.

Peter: The pink flowering tree is so gorgeous. I frequent this thread to enjoy your incredible bonsai photos.

You have put your heart and soul into your little trees - its so obvious!

I am glad this thread has interested so many TRF members, and it is all because of your talent and sharing.

Thank you so much.

Cheers, DM BBL.
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2023, 07:51 PM   #272
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Peter: The pink flowering tree is so gorgeous. I frequent this thread to enjoy your incredible bonsai photos.

You have put your heart and soul into your little trees - its so obvious!

I am glad this thread has interested so many TRF members, and it is all because of your talent and sharing.

Thank you so much.

Cheers, DM BBL.
Well thank much appreciated although been studying the history of Rolex for well over 50 years now, over the last say 5 years my interest in watches has dwindled quite a bit now. Mainly to many now Rolex watches have become little more that ££$$€€ object things and little more. But my Bonsai trees I have quite a few trees that I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away he was a great guy. And thats coming up to almost 60 years ago most of his trees I still have. As for watches they are just inanimate objects, but my trees that I have cared for watered styled kept them alive for well over 50 plus years. And when I pass and meet my maker my grandson will take over my collection as he has caught the Bonsai bug from me and he now helps me a lot as now 79 years old and in poor health. He has built some fine Bonsai benches over his house to accommodate all my trees, and who knows in future perhaps he will hand down my trees to his sons, as trees are the lungs of the world and are t longest living things on this planet.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2023, 10:11 PM   #273
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Not on this forum all that much anymore but glad I checked today. This thread is awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 06:03 PM   #274
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Not on this forum all that much anymore but glad I checked today. This thread is awesome!!

Well thank you much appreciated a couple more a Cryptomeria Cedar a native to regions of Japan and China tree around 40 years old now,and Kojo Fuji Cherry flowers a bit late this spring expect because strange weather last year.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 May 2023, 11:05 PM   #275
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Hi Peter,
We love all the information and photo's of your Bonsai trees, they're truly gorgeous.
Sadly, we lost a 32 year old Oak, grown by our kids from an acorn. That very cold 5 day period had a devastating effect on some of our garden favourites too. Surprised it took the Oak though, which had survived quite a few very cold winters in Sussex.

Caught site of some pic's from the Chelsea Flower Show, thought you might enjoy this particular snap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BONSAI copy.jpg (203.0 KB, 166 views)
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 02:18 AM   #276
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Hi Peter,
We love all the information and photo's of your Bonsai trees, they're truly gorgeous.
Sadly, we lost a 32 year old Oak, grown by our kids from an acorn. That very cold 5 day period had a devastating effect on some of our garden favourites too. Surprises it took the Oak though, which had survived quite a few very cold winters in Sussex.

Caught site of some pic's from the Chelsea Flower Show, thought you might enjoy this particular snap.
Some fantastic Bonsai trees there if they ever came up for sale you would talking of Rolex watch money.But not like watches these Bonsai could last hundreds of years.I remember reading many years ago a Japanese bank paid almost £ 5 million for a very old Japanese white pine.Very strange you lost your Oak Bonsai they are tough trees but sometimes nature can be tougher.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 May 2023, 07:56 PM   #277
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

This is another of my grandfathers trees a Juniper Itoigawa been in my care now for well over 50 plus years. The Itoigawa is IMHO the best species of Juniper for Bonsai, this tree means everything to me. My grandson helped me a few days ago to repot and wire the tree and put some fresh lime sulphur to Jins and trunk Shari.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 May 2023, 11:24 PM   #278
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
That’s an amazing tree. Do you feel anxious when you repot a 50 year-old tree? I’d be so afraid of it dying due to the change.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 12:43 AM   #279
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
That’s an amazing tree. Do you feel anxious when you repot a 50 year-old tree? I’d be so afraid of it dying due to the change.
Well repotting is the most important task in keeping Bonsai strong and alive.The tree above is well over hundred years old, say 20 years ago repotting was more stressful.But today we have much better Bonsai soil and things like rootgrow plus now more understanding on roots and care after repotting.Must have repotted many hundreds of times over the past 50 plus years.And cannot recollect losing a tree because of a repot.Nature is a wonderful thing but sometimes nature can turn and be a nightmare and lose a tree .But over the many years in the Bonsai hobby have lost a few by my own mistakes but majority lost simply down to mother nature.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 28 May 2023, 08:32 PM   #280
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

My favourite tree in my Bonsai collection is this very old Japanese White pine that belonged to my Grandfather.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 28 May 2023, 10:35 PM   #281
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My favourite tree in my Bonsai collection is this very old Japanese White pine that belonged to my Grandfather.

That is a CLASSIC bonsai. If I wanted to buy a tree just like that, how much would I spend?
Old 28 May 2023, 11:10 PM   #282
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
That is a CLASSIC bonsai. If I wanted to buy a tree just like that, how much would I spend?
Well quite a few years ago now was offered £2000 pound for my tree after winning best tree at a Bonsai show. So today would expect around £3000 plus if you could find one for sale but this tree is not for sale at ay price. Large mature Japanese white pines are quite hard to find now especially on there own root stock. Most imported Japanese white pines are grafted on Black pine root stock, as Black pines are more far more strong in growth over true white pines. Many years ago I remember reading in a Bonsai magazine, a Japanese bank paid $5 million yes $5 million for a very old large Japanese white pine.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 30 May 2023, 07:16 AM   #283
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Peter:

Thank you for your continued contributions to this thread, which you have singularly made "incredible".

That bonsai specimens exist and thrive for centuries is truly amazing and indicative of master caretaking skills.

The following bonsai website has pic of a Ficus 1,000 year old tree. Insurance on these trees must be steep.

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/inspira...t-bonsai-trees

I visit this thread often because of your inspirational posts.

Sincerely, DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 08:10 PM   #284
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Peter:

Thank you for your continued contributions to this thread, which you have singularly made "incredible".

That bonsai specimens exist and thrive for centuries is truly amazing and indicative of master caretaking skills.

The following bonsai website has pic of a Ficus 1,000 year old tree. Insurance on these trees must be steep.

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/inspira...t-bonsai-trees

I visit this thread often because of your inspirational posts.

Sincerely, DM
Thank you much appreciated some great trees in that link.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 3 June 2023, 10:05 PM   #285
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

This Cotoneaster belonged to my grandfather been in my care for well over 50 years now, this year now in full bloom and a great show of flowers.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 June 2023, 03:56 AM   #286
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Simply perfect!
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 05:35 PM   #287
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
Simply perfect!
Well thank many many years in the creating good Bonsai trees

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 June 2023, 06:17 PM   #288
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
You have a talent Padi.

I hope you are keeping well.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 07:08 PM   #289
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Very beautiful Cotoneaster. It must feel somewhat therapeutic to be surrounded by so many splendid trees you have deep knowledge and appreciation of.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 07:18 PM   #290
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
You have a talent Padi.

I hope you are keeping well.
Still alive thats the main Eddie I take every day as a bonus forum keeps my brain active.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 June 2023, 09:42 PM   #291
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This Cotoneaster belonged to my grandfather been in my care for well over 50 years now, this year now in full bloom and a great show of flowers.

Gorgeous Peter!
You must be delighted with that fantastic display.

...will the Blackbirds will be down for the (tiny) fruit?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 10:28 PM   #292
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I love how just when I think I’ve seen my favorite you post another more beautiful plant. It must be great walking around your house with all those beautiful Bonsai.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 01:57 AM   #293
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Spent a few hours with my grandson helping me in re-potting and re-style this Blauwws Juniper and apply new lime sulphur to shari and jins quite pleased with results.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 June 2023, 07:37 PM   #294
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I love how just when I think I’ve seen my favorite you post another more beautiful plant. It must be great walking around your house with all those beautiful Bonsai.

Thank you all my trees stay outdoors some go in my shed if winter is very cold for frost protection and mainly to save the now expensive pots from cracking as soil expands with frost.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 10 June 2023, 08:10 PM   #295
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Had this Juniper for several years just let it grow over the years,but yesterday my grandson paid me a vist so descided to give it a restyle and wire will be a nice tree in the next few years or so.

Tree before.

Tree after a restyle.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 June 2023, 05:51 PM   #296
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

The Chinese Elm one of the easier Bonsai to keep, and a ideal starter tree.But this one has taken many many years to style and develop into what its become now a great mature Bonsai tree.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 June 2023, 10:39 PM   #297
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Do you train and trim bonsai trees to look good from 360 degrees around or are they meant to be looked at from one viewing position?
Old 17 June 2023, 07:53 PM   #298
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Do you train and trim bonsai trees to look good from 360 degrees around or are they meant to be looked at from one viewing position?
There are 5 basic styles in Bonsai.

Formal Upright Style main tree trunk strait called Chokan style in Japanese.

Informal Upright Style main tree trunk could have a bend called Moyogi style in Japanese

Slanting Style main trunk has a tilt called Shakan style in Japanese.

Semi-Cascade Style the means like tree is hanging and growing out of say a side of a cliff called Han-Kengai style in Japanese.

Full Cascade Style this means trunk bend and tree grows out and below the top of soil in pot called Kenga style in Japanese.

But all trees have a front and back so we try and get the tree to look at its best from the main viewing front which could take many many many years of development.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 June 2023, 02:05 AM   #299
taylorandrian
"TRF" Member

Nice, I have a bonsai business it’s so successful I’m moving to smaller premises.
taylorandrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 05:30 PM   #300
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorandrian View Post
Nice, I have a bonsai business it’s so successful I’m moving to smaller premises.
If you are trying to be a comedian but if being sarcastic the saying goes that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.Have a nice day.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club