The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 May 2023, 05:16 AM   #1
tedo
"TRF" Member

Are Hublot in-house movements high quality?

Know answer to this question, thoughts?
Old 22 May 2023, 06:07 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
High quality means different things to different people.

Hublot has only been around for a few decades, but over the past decade or so has been bought by the LVMH group which includes TAG Hauer, Zenith, and some other Luxury brands.

When you have several different brands under one roof the term "in-house" becomes ambiguous. Early Hublots used ETA ebauchs, and most still do. With Swatch pulling in their ETA ebauchs from non-Swatch brands, likely, they are now making their own to fill the void.

Last edited by Tools; 22 May 2023 at 10:04 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 06:40 AM   #3
walds11
"TRF" Member

I would say so, although it is subjective. I have the Big Bang Integral Blue Ceramic 42mm. I love the fact that the ceramic is ultra-tough and almost entirely scratch-proof. Anyway, it houses the in-house HUB1280 Unico movement. It is the smoothest chronograph operation I’ve ever handled.

Read here about Hublot’s in-house movements:

https://www.hublot.com/en-us/craftsmanship#cp_preview-1
Old 22 May 2023, 06:48 AM   #4
tedo
"TRF" Member

Yes, interested in the UNICO and MECA 10 DAY POWER RESERVE movements, especially thoughts on the MECA?
Old 22 May 2023, 09:30 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
After market pricing is very weak on Hublot. So, whatever they are doing, it is not resonating well with a lot of the watch market in terms of value retention.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 01:53 PM   #6
pendlepants
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I know they get a lot of grief for using a modified Sellita in the Classic Fusion, but both the Unico and the Meca-10 are really cool movements, imo. Will second the comment about the smoothness of the Unico chrono and point out that it’s a flyback as well.

Meca-10 is, in my opinion, a really beautiful movement with its multiple power reserve indicators and the cross bars on the back. I think the 10 days is impressive on its own too. It’s difficult to get a long power reserve that doesn’t lose accuracy as it winds down but Hublot did it and managed to make a distinctive, modern-looking watch while they were at it.
pendlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 12:55 AM   #7
jynx1972
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love my Spirit of Big Bang titanium. My wrists are over 8" so it's a 45mm. As for high quality movement I'd say the El Primero is one the better chrono's out there, also love the Meca-10. It's a brand that is not for everyone but if you're looking for something completely out of your comfort zone or collecting habits, then this is your F the world piece.
jynx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 01:37 AM   #8
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Big fan of the 42 Unicos - the new sky blue is a gorgeous summer watch (especially on the low-key white fabric strap), the HUB1280 movement on it is easy on the eye as well.
londonpilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 02:33 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Most Swiss movements are basically the same quality. To be "Swiss Made," aside from the necessary percentage of Swiss parts/labor, they also all have to meet the same quality build standards, shock resistance and timekeeping. What differentiates movements from lower to higher end is the use of precious metals where possible, gem housings and the parts finishing. Most of which is visible to the eye.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 03:47 AM   #10
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Unico is very smooth
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 01:19 PM   #11
Cheutc
"TRF" Member

meca-10 is pretty dope, honestly if it was a RM people would go crazy over it
unfortunately its a hublot so it will be 50% off retail the moment you walk out with it
Cheutc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:21 AM   #12
tedo
"TRF" Member

As an update, I purchased a Hublot Big Bang MECA-10 “All Black” model.

One of 500 pieces created in this fully blacked out theme (launched in 2016 with a new in-house movement), this piece is distinct and separate from the standard issue “Black Magic” that has been produced in volume and alternatively carries red markers and shiny bezel screws.

Quite nice I think, from the tough and lightweight ceramic body, to the three dimensional depth of the skeletonized dial, to the ten day power reserve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0095.jpeg (263.5 KB, 187 views)
Old 22 October 2023, 03:00 AM   #13
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

When I saw the title for this post I was expecting to read a number of hateful responses, but pleasantly surprised by the positive and informed responses.

I like swimming against the tide when choosing watches so certainly can see getting a Hublot at some point, just find the Classic Fusion to be a bit too simple and the other options a bit too big for my wrist but will keep an eye out.
SpecialK888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 04:29 PM   #14
TotoroInFlight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tank LC
When you start doing research into the Unico chronograph movement (and put the hate against the entry level Hublots’ off the shelf movements aside), you’ll find that they are quite well regarded, have incredibly smooth chronograph pusher operation, and are reliable.
TotoroInFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 10:39 AM   #15
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
isnt it all machine finished? i think its fine

also a fan of the meca-10

I had it for awhile but sold it because it didnt fit me well
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 11:21 AM   #16
pendlepants
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
own a 42mm unico chrono and agree with everyone here - great movement well executed. I’ve yet to find a chrono that’s smoother and, at the price, the flyback is very competitive. have toyed with the idea of a meca 10 for a while but the 45mm is a challenge for me. I’ve tried them in person though and think they’re a really great watch and the 10 day power reserve is a unique complication. if you like the look of hublot, I’d say go for it — life’s too short to worry about YouTuber opinions about your watch.
pendlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 11:28 AM   #17
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
After market pricing is very weak on Hublot. So, whatever they are doing, it is not resonating well with a lot of the watch market in terms of value retention.
Which is the most important thing about buying a watch… forget about liking it and wanting to wear it.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 11:31 AM   #18
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlepants View Post
own a 42mm unico chrono and agree with everyone here - great movement well executed. I’ve yet to find a chrono that’s smoother and, at the price, the flyback is very competitive. have toyed with the idea of a meca 10 for a while but the 45mm is a challenge for me. I’ve tried them in person though and think they’re a really great watch and the 10 day power reserve is a unique complication. if you like the look of hublot, I’d say go for it — life’s too short to worry about YouTuber opinions about your watch.
https://youtube.com/shorts/qnD6PvnSv...hymn5n5AT55to9
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 11:33 AM   #19
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
Which is the most important thing about buying a watch… forget about liking it and wanting to wear it.
Wear what you like, period!
Old 23 October 2023, 11:39 AM   #20
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlepants View Post
Yeah, these so-called social media “experts” are getting to be a bit too much. Better to solicit advice from actual owners vs. flippers out to make a buck. Thankful for legit forums like this one.