The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 December 2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
Camera buff opinions

Got for Christmas a Nikon D5100 with the included 18-55mm Nikkor zoom lens. What do the camera buffs here think about it? Is it a nice DSLR? I have not much experience with cameras and would appreciate any input.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 08:25 AM   #2
AIKO
"TRF" Member

I am also interested in the opinions. I am considering this camera, the Nikon D3100 and the one the Canon Rebels (cannot remember which one at the moment- although I think it is last years model).
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 08:52 AM   #3
signcarver
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
I can offer an anecdotal observation. Over the years i have attended various Photoshop seminars. There are two predominant brands that these "experts" use, Nikon or Canon, with the edge going to Nikon.
signcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 08:54 AM   #4
apeogre
"TRF" Member

If you plan on getting more into photos it's a good starter camera. It will also let you play around with manual settings. Also, the glass is the most important part. Bodies get upgraded all the time. These cameras will not make you better photographers, however there is a bit of self satisfaction that comes from hearing the shutter.
The kit lens will probably be the most limiting factor in your photography. A telephoto zoom would complete the package for most basic picture taking. I'm a canon guy so the Nikon folks will have to chime in on a particular zoom lens. Also, if you want to learn more, buy an intro to photography book when you buy the camera.
Good luck.
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 08:55 AM   #5
apeogre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post
I can offer an anecdotal observation. Over the years i have attended various Photoshop seminars. There are two predominant brands that these "experts" use, Nikon or Canon, with the edge going to Nikon.
If you go to any professional sporting event, most big lenses will be white. :)
Old 26 December 2011, 10:04 AM   #6
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
The 5100 is a great camera. Add a 35mm f/1.8 g it's fast, sharp and a best buy prime lens for $199. Here is a web site link with alot of helpful info on photography. Lots of easy to understand videos

http://froknowsphoto.com/
Old 26 December 2011, 10:28 AM   #7
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The Nikon 5100 and the 3100 are both excellent cameras in their range.

There are few things that you cannot do with either camera, given the right lenses.

The 18-55mm kit lens is an excellent lens that is quite sharp for any lens, especially one its price range.

Either camera is both a good starter camera and for a lot of folks the only camera they will ever need.

As others have noted, the glass is the most important component of any camera system, so as your knowledge and skill grows, look more toward buying lenses that will complement your subjects, e.g., macro shots of watches or portraits of family members.

Daniel, since you already have the Nikon, don't get into the Nikon/Canon wars. The 5100 is an excellent, versatile camera with an excellent sensor. It will serve you well.

I have a D7000 with an 18-200mm lens mounted on it and it's about the only one I ever need, even though I have the 35mm 1.8G, the 50mm 1.8D, and the 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G.

The only lens I wish I had and do not is the Nikkor 105mm 2.8G Micro and I'll have one of those by year's end.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 11:09 AM   #8
alam
"TRF" Member

but of course! it's a Nikon! "we take the best world's pictures!"

check the experts reviews and lots of technical info on dpreview.com
alam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
Stupid question but is the D5100 water resistant?
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 12:51 PM   #10
mufjp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanger View Post
Stupid question but is the D5100 water resistant?
The D5100 is not water resistant. Nikon's higher-end bodies, such as D7000 are water-resistant if paired with a higher end lens that has a rubber seal at the mount. I think the only truly water resistant cameras (for a prosumer level camera--all the $5K up pro bodies should be WR) are Olympus E-5 lines (but Oly is not developing their standard 4/3 series anymore.. only the micro 4/3 series) and probably the pentax K-5. I have seen people washing those under the sink on youtube.

I would highly recommend getting the 35mm 1.8G lens. It's an amazing lens for the money really, and you can experiment with shallow depths of field which you can't with your kit lens (18-55mm).

If you want to save some money, you can look on fredmiranda site for used gear buying. Hope that helps.
mufjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 01:02 PM   #11
mufjp
"TRF" Member

Since you must be a watch guy, I highly recommend the 60mm 2.8G macro lens from Nikon if you like taking close-up pictures of watches. Camera lenses are sort of like watches, so if you can get a good deal on the used market, you can experiment with a gear to see if you like it and if not, sell it without losing much money in the process.
mufjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2011, 08:59 PM   #12
apeogre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufjp View Post
Since you must be a watch guy, I highly recommend the 60mm 2.8G macro lens from Nikon if you like taking close-up pictures of watches. Camera lenses are sort of like watches, so if you can get a good deal on the used market, you can experiment with a gear to see if you like it and if not, sell it without losing much money in the process.
Great advice.
Old 27 December 2011, 03:48 AM   #13
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The D7000 has a partial magnesium case that makes it weather-resistant with the right lenses.

The D300s, the D700, and the D3 series all have full magnesium bodies.

If water-resistance is an important feature, stick with what you have to learn the ropes and set your sites on one of the higher-end cameras.

It should be noted that the D700 and the D3 series have full-frame sensors that will require FX (full-frame) lenses to operate at full resolution.

If you have a stable full of DX (cropped-sensor) lenses, you would probably be better off with the D300s, unless you have the money to buy all new lenses. Full-frame cameras are quite expensive, too, ranging from about $2500 to about $5000, body only.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2011, 05:53 AM   #14
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
The main difference between the D5100 and the more expensive models is the absence of a motor drive in the body to auto focus non-AFS lenses. You can still use these older non AFS lenses in manual focus only.
Depends on what you want to shoot, the 18-55 kit lens can be good enough for many tasks. It is a reasonably capable macro lens as well as a short portrait lens. Just give it practice during the holidays and enjoy the experience!
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2011, 07:33 AM   #15
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have the D5000 (the predecessor to yours) and find it is more than enough camera for my needs. My brother has the D90 (several times more expensive) and has yet to figure out how to shoot it on anything other than full auto.

I HIGHLY recommend the following accessories as your budget allows and in this order:

1. SB 600 Flash with Sto-fen diffuser.

2. 35 1.8 lens as previously mentioned.

3. 16-85 vr lens to replace the kit. This is my 95% lens.

Have fun and post some pictures.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2011, 08:05 AM   #16
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
It's a nice camera that will give you access to all the great Nikon lenses. The only con at that budget level is that it won't auto focus with some of the older lenses.

Agree with all comments about the 35 1.8. A great and very versatile cheap lens. Flash wise, I'd recommend the smaller SB-400.
Old 8 January 2012, 01:47 AM   #17
Crabapple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Hope you find these links helpful:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/

http://bythom.com/index.htm
Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote