The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 June 2018, 12:31 AM   #31
uliviero1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Cali
Posts: 14
Congrats!
uliviero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 04:28 AM   #32
Sterling.GmbH
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Real Name: Ian
Location: Arizona
Watch: Panerai
Posts: 15
Congrats on the acquisition. Great piece!
Sterling.GmbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:51 AM   #33
bruinmd
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Sal
Location: Louisiana
Watch: Hulk/PAM 1312
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevets750 View Post
I'm on the verge of picking up a 682 but have put on the brakes after reading about it's bezel having too much play and being too loose. I came across this thread on the 682 so I'm looking for input. Has anyone had an issue with the bezel? Thanks so much for any input!!
Bump.
I'd love to hear more about this as well from those who may know, as I've been seriously considering the 682.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 04:02 AM   #34
philster
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Posts: 106
Nice pickup! Makes me think about getting back into Panerai!
philster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 12:53 PM   #35
JR16
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Bump.

I'd love to hear more about this as well from those who may know, as I've been seriously considering the 682.


The bezel is a bit loose compared to, say, a sub... but only noticeable when you fiddle with it like a fidget spinner. It doesnt rattle under normal conditions, and clicks normally and holds its position firmly when using it as intended. Doesnt bother me at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:28 PM   #36
mikester
2018 BOND 007 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 510
Congrats! thats a beauty!
mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 11:26 PM   #37
ctumz45
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: san Jose
Posts: 2
congrats!
ctumz45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 11:18 AM   #38
bruinmd
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Sal
Location: Louisiana
Watch: Hulk/PAM 1312
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
The bezel is a bit loose compared to, say, a sub... but only noticeable when you fiddle with it like a fidget spinner. It doesnt rattle under normal conditions, and clicks normally and holds its position firmly when using it as intended. Doesnt bother me at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thanks. Fingers crossed, I will get to try on the 682 this coming week.

I read some accounts of other PAM submersibles that had 'loose' bezels that ended up becoming more of a nuisance than an actual issue
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:15 PM   #39
rpjp3
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Greater Seattle M
Posts: 11
A belated congrats on the 682! I just received mine yesterday.



For anyone thats still trying to understand the situation with the exhibition and solid case backs, I can save you some time figuring this out as I went through the exact same thing over the last couple of weeks.



The 682 was new for 2017, and the first year T series models have the exhibition case back. Panerai changed it to a solid case back for the 2018 U series. The ADs Ive spoken to either had no idea it had changed, or could only speculate as to why. Some think it was somehow due to water resistance rating, and others to reducing production costs. The water resistance rating is the same on both series. I actually called Panerai customer support to see if they were aware of any issues with the exhibition case back that led to the change. The rep said she had received this question before and after asking internally was told the change was made for creative reasons. She said she was not aware of any known issues with the exhibition case back.



If you strongly prefer the exhibition case back, the only ways to get one now are buying used, on the grey market, or looking for new old stock at an AD, where they received one last year and it hasnt yet sold. Some ADs do still have them, but finding one takes some work. Just ask people to confirm they have a T series first and that it has the exhibition case back in the event Panerai changed the back during the first year production cycle. It seems unlikely, but possible. Ive personally seen T series samples in the 100, 500, and 700 numerical ranges with the exhibition case backs. I received mine yesterday from an AD that still had a new sample with the exhibition case back in stock.



For those who like the exhibition case back, it seems that the 2017 model may be a sort of pseudo special edition with only 1,000 being made that year, presumably all with the exhibition case back:-).



I hope this helps others.
rpjp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 03:57 AM   #40
rockmastermike
2018 Pledge Member
 
rockmastermike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GA
Watch: 116660 D-BLue
Posts: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjp3 View Post
A belated congrats on the 682! I just received mine yesterday.



For anyone thats still trying to understand the situation with the exhibition and solid case backs, I can save you some time figuring this out as I went through the exact same thing over the last couple of weeks.



The 682 was new for 2017, and the first year T series models have the exhibition case back. Panerai changed it to a solid case back for the 2018 U series. The ADs Ive spoken to either had no idea it had changed, or could only speculate as to why. Some think it was somehow due to water resistance rating, and others to reducing production costs. The water resistance rating is the same on both series. I actually called Panerai customer support to see if they were aware of any issues with the exhibition case back that led to the change. The rep said she had received this question before and after asking internally was told the change was made for creative reasons. She said she was not aware of any known issues with the exhibition case back.



If you strongly prefer the exhibition case back, the only ways to get one now are buying used, on the grey market, or looking for new old stock at an AD, where they received one last year and it hasnt yet sold. Some ADs do still have them, but finding one takes some work. Just ask people to confirm they have a T series first and that it has the exhibition case back in the event Panerai changed the back during the first year production cycle. It seems unlikely, but possible. Ive personally seen T series samples in the 100, 500, and 700 numerical ranges with the exhibition case backs. I received mine yesterday from an AD that still had a new sample with the exhibition case back in stock.



For those who like the exhibition case back, it seems that the 2017 model may be a sort of pseudo special edition with only 1,000 being made that year, presumably all with the exhibition case back:-).



I hope this helps others.
Awesome, thank you and congratulations
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:21 PM   #41
melrob1
"TRF" Member
 
melrob1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevets750 View Post
I'm on the verge of picking up a 682 but have put on the brakes after reading about it's bezel having too much play and being too loose. I came across this thread on the 682 so I'm looking for input. Has anyone had an issue with the bezel? Thanks so much for any input!!
Depends on the watch. I tried two on in Italy. One was pretty lose. But both ADs and one being the first ever Panerai Corp store said it was normal. I ended up purchasing one from a trusted seller and my mine is not lose at all.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:31 PM   #42
rpjp3
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Greater Seattle M
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by melrob1 View Post
Depends on the watch. I tried two on in Italy. One was pretty lose. But both ADs and one being the first ever Panerai Corp store said it was normal. I ended up purchasing one from a trusted seller and my mine is not lose at all.


Is the looseness in question related to rotating the bezel or lateral movement of the bezel?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rpjp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 09:13 PM   #43
Nevets750
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Detroit
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjp3 View Post
Is the looseness in question related to rotating the bezel or lateral movement of the bezel?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
My concern was the rotation and specifically if the bezel would move if bumped. I had a JLC where that would happen and I ended up selling it. I did wind up buying the PAM 682 a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it. There is no issue at all with the bezel. While the bezel rotation is not tight, it absolutely won't move from a bump. Hope this helps!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Nevets750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #44
melrob1
"TRF" Member
 
melrob1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjp3 View Post
Is the looseness in question related to rotating the bezel or lateral movement of the bezel?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Then movement I noticed in Italy was from side to side. Rotation is not an issue. Mine is super tight.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #45
rpjp3
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Greater Seattle M
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by melrob1 View Post
Then movement I noticed in Italy was from side to side. Rotation is not an issue. Mine is super tight.


Gotcha. I see the same thing in mine.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rpjp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
p_mcgee
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2018, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.