The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2014, 05:08 PM   #1
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Apollo Soyuz
Dark Side of the Moon strap?

Hello all!

I recently acquired the Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon and while I love it to bits, I've been thinking about another strap - black like the original but one that has red contrast stitching that's visible on both sides of the strap. The original Omega strap has red stitching but only on the underside, which I thought was a bit of a waste.

If anyone can recommend anything, I'd appreciate it. Thanks all!

Max
maxtor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Hadley Roma makes a real Kevlar strap that I think looks nice. Just picked up one for my vintage Speedy. Haven't installed it yet, but the quality seems to be quite good, and it's inexpensive if it turns out to be a bust.

Link here to an ebay seller I've used before, I'm sure there are other sources as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261167737673...84.m1497.l2649
Old 25 January 2014, 08:10 PM   #3
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the link Darlinboy, those straps look great!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlinboy View Post
Hadley Roma makes a real Kevlar strap that I think looks nice. Just picked up one for my vintage Speedy. Haven't installed it yet, but the quality seems to be quite good, and it's inexpensive if it turns out to be a bust.

Link here to an ebay seller I've used before, I'm sure there are other sources as well.

Old 27 January 2014, 01:43 AM   #4
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Pics are expected!
Old 29 January 2014, 05:08 AM   #5
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Huh?! How can you post that you have acquired such a watch and not accompany that by multiple pictures! That is just cruel.

Congrats on an awesome piece!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 05:41 AM   #6
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Thanks Kauê!

I'm not very handy with a camera, these are the only shots I have of the DSOM.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Huh?! How can you post that you have acquired such a watch and not accompany that by multiple pictures! That is just cruel.

Congrats on an awesome piece!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSOM.JPG (167.5 KB, 849 views)
File Type: jpg DSOM1.jpg (102.2 KB, 845 views)
Old 31 January 2014, 06:19 AM   #7
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtor71 View Post
Thanks Kauê!

Max
That looks fantastic, my friend. Yours is possibly the first on TRF!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 12:22 PM   #8
Shem
"TRF" Member

I got mine on Jan 23rd. Here are some photos, but no wrist shots unfortunately (keeping it BNIB since it's up on WUS F29). Gorgeous watch, but I bought my Yacht-Master recently thinking my DSOTM wouldn't be in for months and it came sooner than expected! It also doesn't sing to me quite as much as I hoped with my tiny wrists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0476.jpg (245.1 KB, 828 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0478.jpg (238.0 KB, 825 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0483.jpg (67.8 KB, 821 views)
Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 03:39 PM   #9
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Thanks Kauê! I picked this up in the first week of January. I think the boutique I normally buy from fought tooth and nail to get one in ASAP. They haven't received another piece since then.

It was a good start to 2014 :).

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
That looks fantastic, my friend. Yours is possibly the first on TRF!
Old 31 January 2014, 04:04 PM   #10
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Nice pictures Shem!

I know you've already listed it for sale but you should consider trying it for a day or two. To me it doesn't wear as big as I thought it would plus the strap and light weight just make it very comfortable to wear. There are times I forget it's even on my wrist. I also tend to freeze in time whenever I look at that gorgeous dial and black case :).

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I got mine on Jan 23rd. Here are some photos, but no wrist shots unfortunately (keeping it BNIB since it's up on WUS F29). Gorgeous watch, but I bought my Yacht-Master recently thinking my DSOTM wouldn't be in for months and it came sooner than expected! It also doesn't sing to me quite as much as I hoped with my tiny wrists.
Old 31 January 2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Shem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice pictures Shem!

I know you've already listed it for sale but you should consider trying it for a day or two. To me it doesn't wear as big as I thought it would plus the strap and light weight just make it very comfortable to wear. There are times I forget it's even on my wrist. I also tend to freeze in time whenever I look at that gorgeous dial and black case :).

Max

For me it's not so much a matter of comfort or size but the fact that even on the tightest setting the strap is too loose on my 6.25" wrists. I have a 44.25mm aventurine Speedy moonphase on bracelet that wears nicely even on my small wrists, and if I manually simulate the DSOTM being tight enough by holding it on my wrist, it looks great. It's just the darn strap that's too long -- in fact, I've never found a single watch whose stock strap actually fit my wrist even on the smallest notch, so I'm not sure why I expected this one to. Of course I could change the strap, but with a special edition watch like this, I would want to wear it as designed with the cordura strap.
Old 31 January 2014, 11:24 PM   #12
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

That's unlucky. I've never actually measured my wrist size but the DSOM is too tight on the third smallest strap hole and just right on the fourth.

Totally understand not wanting to use a third party strap. In my case, I'm actually a little disappointed the red stitching isn't on both sides of the strap. I had asked and got a suggestion for some great third party straps, which I'm seriously considering.

The Aventurine is a great piece too. Congrats!

Max

Quote:
For me it's not so much a matter of comfort or size but the fact that even on the tightest setting the strap is too loose on my 6.25" wrists. I have a 44.25mm aventurine Speedy moonphase on bracelet that wears nicely even on my small wrists, and if I manually simulate the DSOTM being tight enough by holding it on my wrist, it looks great. It's just the darn strap that's too long -- in fact, I've never found a single watch whose stock strap actually fit my wrist even on the smallest notch, so I'm not sure why I expected this one to. Of course I could change the strap, but with a special edition watch like this, I would want to wear it as designed with the cordura strap.
Old 3 February 2014, 09:10 AM   #13
Shem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's unlucky. I've never actually measured my wrist size but the DSOM is too tight on the third smallest strap hole and just right on the fourth.

Totally understand not wanting to use a third party strap. In my case, I'm actually a little disappointed the red stitching isn't on both sides of the strap. I had asked and got a suggestion for some great third party straps, which I'm seriously considering.

The Aventurine is a great piece too. Congrats!

Max
Thanks on the Aventurine!

I actually went ahead and tried on the DSOM. Gosh darn it all to heck. I like it more than I thought, at least on the very smallest strap setting while my wrist is warm and in the afternoon. I suspect on a cold morning, the thing would be way too lose. I have no idea how they'd market this watch for the Asian market; no one on that side of the world could wear it!

I emailed Omega asking if they make a smaller version of the strap. I'm pretty sure they don't, but we'll see. I really don't think I'd like wearing the watch with anything but the original strap that was designed for it, considering that it's a special edition.

The good news is, after trying on the DSOM, it actually eliminated my desire for a lot of much, much more expensive watches that I like less than it. Even if the DSOM sells, the fact that I liked it more than some of the watches on my list essentially deletes the others, saving me expensive mistakes in the future. Thanks for your encouragement to try it!
Old 3 February 2014, 09:59 AM   #14
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Just got mine Monday. I have 6.5 and wear it on the smallest setting and sometimes the second smallest. This is the most comfortable watch I have ever worn.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Shem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Just got mine Monday. I have 6.5 and wear it on the smallest setting and sometimes the second smallest. This is the most comfortable watch I have ever worn.
I, too, found it extremely comfortable. I just wish the strap were smaller, and by that I mean I wish every watch manufacturer's strap was smaller, since literally none of them fit me, from Journe to JLC to Omega to Sea-Gull.
Old 4 February 2014, 12:53 AM   #16
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Not 21mm though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlinboy View Post

These straps look great but I don't see them in 21mm.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 01:16 AM   #17
Shem
"TRF" Member

If only I could wear a DSOM further up on my arm like this, it might actually work. :P

This photo might be good for people considering whether the new 44.25mm Speedmasters can work on small wrists...mine are 6.25", and I think they look brilliant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0497.jpg (149.7 KB, 718 views)
Old 6 February 2014, 12:54 AM   #18
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Glad you gave it a try! It is perhaps my most comfortable watch to date but, yeah, I can see how the strap not fitting to your exact liking can be an issue.

I hope Omega gets back to you with a positive response on the strap. Else, eat your way into thicker wrists :P.

Max

Quote:
Thanks on the Aventurine!

I actually went ahead and tried on the DSOM. Gosh darn it all to heck. I like it more than I thought, at least on the very smallest strap setting while my wrist is warm and in the afternoon. I suspect on a cold morning, the thing would be way too lose. I have no idea how they'd market this watch for the Asian market; no one on that side of the world could wear it!

I emailed Omega asking if they make a smaller version of the strap. I'm pretty sure they don't, but we'll see. I really don't think I'd like wearing the watch with anything but the original strap that was designed for it, considering that it's a special edition.

The good news is, after trying on the DSOM, it actually eliminated my desire for a lot of much, much more expensive watches that I like less than it. Even if the DSOM sells, the fact that I liked it more than some of the watches on my list essentially deletes the others, saving me expensive mistakes in the future. Thanks for your encouragement to try it!
Old 6 February 2014, 12:54 AM   #19
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the club!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Old 6 February 2014, 01:22 AM   #20
Shem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Glad you gave it a try! It is perhaps my most comfortable watch to date but, yeah, I can see how the strap not fitting to your exact liking can be an issue.

I hope Omega gets back to you with a positive response on the strap. Else, eat your way into thicker wrists :P.

Max
Omega did get back to me, and they don't make a smaller version of the strap. :( That said, after trying it on with the regular strap on the smallest notch, I actually concluded that it fits just fine that way (after all, it shouldn't be TOO tight or it reduces the longevity of the strap). I'd be worried if I lost any weight, though! When I'm cold, it's already at the borderline of what I'd consider too loose.

Doesn't change the fact that I can't keep the watch right now, though. :P

Just out of curiosity, I actually have investigated other strap options, including the ones mentioned in the thread. All of them are far too big on the smallest notch, including the Hadley-Roma kevlar one (I contacted the seller). There's simply no option for anyone who has skinny wrists (except maybe paying a ton to have custom straps made).
Old 6 February 2014, 07:29 AM   #21
laphroaig007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 & PAM372
You can try with strap makers... Ask atelier thibot in Paris, with my recommendation.
;-)
Old 7 February 2014, 03:54 AM   #22
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

It's a shame that it's so hard to find straps for smaller wrists.

I've contacted the seller too but I'm now also in two minds about ordering a different strap, considering this is a limited edition piece. The current strap isn't bad it's just I wish it had red stitching on the outside.

Good luck with selling your watch, I reckon it should go quite quickly given that it's new and there's a lot of interest.

Max

Quote:
Omega did get back to me, and they don't make a smaller version of the strap. :( That said, after trying it on with the regular strap on the smallest notch, I actually concluded that it fits just fine that way (after all, it shouldn't be TOO tight or it reduces the longevity of the strap). I'd be worried if I lost any weight, though! When I'm cold, it's already at the borderline of what I'd consider too loose.

Doesn't change the fact that I can't keep the watch right now, though. :P

Just out of curiosity, I actually have investigated other strap options, including the ones mentioned in the thread. All of them are far too big on the smallest notch, including the Hadley-Roma kevlar one (I contacted the seller). There's simply no option for anyone who has skinny wrists (except maybe paying a ton to have custom straps made).
Old 7 February 2014, 10:40 AM   #23
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Dark Side of the Moon strap?

Quote:
It's a shame that it's so hard to find straps for smaller wrists.

I've contacted the seller too but I'm now also in two minds about ordering a different strap, considering this is a limited edition piece. The current strap isn't bad it's just I wish it had red stitching on the outside.

Max

It's not a limited edition actually, just right now Omega only made a few of them.

I have a few friends who are also interested in it but will wait it out for 30% discount. They said they have never paid MSRP for Omega and never will, especially for a Speedy that list over 10k.

Right now only Boutiques have them and as we know they are quite strict on discounts on certain pieces, but once the ADs have them, and if they don't move due to the hefty price tag, you will start to see good discounts.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 11:36 AM   #24
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Had the DSOM in my hands yesterday. Nice watch but horrifying price tag!
Old 8 February 2014, 02:32 AM   #25
Shem
"TRF" Member

I got a reply back from Omega USA Customer Service that I was actually misinformed before and that they actually DO make a shorter version of the Dark Side strap! All sizes are backordered, of course, but they are indeed available. Even if I don't keep my current Dark Side, I really think I'll end up with one eventually.
Old 8 March 2014, 01:23 AM   #26
Ssj
"TRF" Member

Any concerns about ceramic being brittle? There have been scattered reports of other ceramics breaking upon impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 11:51 PM   #27
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

There are pros and cons to ceramic but, generally speaking, I'd say you should be a little extra cautious when wearing a watch with a ceramic case/pushers.

I've been wearing my DSOM quite often and so far haven't had any accidents so I really can't say how well the ceramic will (or won't) take abuse.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssj View Post
Any concerns about ceramic being brittle? There have been scattered reports of other ceramics breaking upon impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 March 2014, 02:48 AM   #28
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Great pickup! Enjoy her in good health! I tried on the DSOM and while I loved the size and how it fit on my wrist, my wallet didn't feel the same way about its price

As for the strap, may I suggest a sailcloth? I'd try this one from Bradystraps:
http://www.bradystraps.com/shopping/...php?id=42&=SID
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 04:51 AM   #29
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Thanks Kauê!

Max
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote