The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 15 February 2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Omas Arco Extra Bronze Dama FP Review

I have to admit that when I purchased this FP I was taking a chance. Not on its great design, that fantastic celluloid, or the Omas reputation but its size.

This is the Dama which is the smallest of the Arcos. This pen was made in 1993 which makes it one of the desirable "vintage" pre 2005 models so I thought that with that as a given, I couldn't go wrong! Still I was apprehensive about its size.

The pen measures:
Total length (cap closed) : 120 mm (4.7")
Total length with cap posted behind the barrel : 147 mm (5.8")
Barrel diameter: 11 mm (0.4")

My daily user for months has been a MB 149. The largest FP and flagship of the Montblanc line. So here I am going to the extreme other end of that spectrum.

When I opened the box I was shocked at the smallness of the pen, but after flushing it (this is always a good idea with any pen, especially one that has never been inked), filling it with my favorite home blend, priming the nib, and putting the tip to paper......... the brew began to instantly flow predictably and my apprehension began to fade like the gorgeous shading of the drying ink on the fine paper.

Here is the review:

Appearance & Design: 10 / 10
What can be better than this bronze Arco Extra celluloid. The appearance speaks for itself!

Construction & Quality: 10 / 10
Omas is second to none in their quality. The fit and finish appears to be perfect to the naked eye. The imprints are deep and crisp. Polish is superb. There are no gaps anywhere on the pen. The metal workmanship is lovely.

Dimensions: 8 / 10.
I gave it an 8 for dimensions for only one reason. The pen is small and I know that it can't hold much ink. That will be a draw back. There is no ink window so that means I have to keep a bottle of ink at work as I can't check its level prior to leaving in the morning. A small inconvenience and I do enjoy inking my pens so the 8 remains for those who don't.

Weight: 9 / 10.
Like writing with weighty air. The only way you know you have a pen in your hand is to look down and see it there or to squeeze it between your fingers. For those that like a heavier pen, this is not one for your collection.

Nib & Performance: 9 / 10.
The nib is a beautiful two tone 18K gold medium point that writes with about a 7mm line. A true medium for a pen of any size. Performance is very nice on the right paper. On the more finished (glossy) papers it skips on the initial down stroke. I expect this to correct itself as the nib is broken in by use. On more linen like papers it is flawless. Never missed a lick addressing a quick envelope this morning or writing in my Moleskine last night.

Filling System & Maintenance: 8 / 10.
The filling system is a standard rear piston draw. It gets a 8 out of 10 as it will need to filled often.

Cost & Value: 9 / 10.
They are expensive, but desirable. It's not about why "it costs so much" but "why it's worth as much as it is"!

Conclusion: 9/10.
Would I buy one again? Yes! But only one! Unlike a MB 149 I don't desire 6 different configurations, but this one Dama is definitely worth the investment in every way. I may change my mind about this after I have had it more than one day, but for now that is my opinion.

As far as my 22 years of FP collecting experience takes me, there is no more beautiful pen in celluloid. And none better made. Mouthwatering literally!

New Photos:

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 10:22 AM   #2
shandy
Banned

wonderful review Richard! Omas is certainly one pen that i will own one day and it has to be the same celluloid as yours, that to me is the finest celluloid coulour/finish out there i think. Omas are legendary for their writing prowess.

I too have some very small fountain pens, the Duofold junior and a Vintage conway stewart. It is amazing how one becomes used to the smaller size.
It is like having very different watches, something for every occasion and feeling. I think that is a perfect way to collect!

Well done again..So, what's next on the adgenda?
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
wonderful review Richard! Omas is certainly one pen that i will own one day and it has to be the same celluloid as yours, that to me is the finest celluloid coulour/finish out there i think. Omas are legendary for their writing prowess.

I too have some very small fountain pens, the Duofold junior and a Vintage conway stewart. It is amazing how one becomes used to the smaller size.
It is like having very different watches, something for every occasion and feeling. I think that is a perfect way to collect!

Well done again..So, what's next on the adgenda?
Thank you Ian! I am very happy with it and its size so far. I am actually quite surprised that I like it so well.

Next on the agenda....?

How about a Montblanc Hemingway FP to match my Hemingway BP? Quite an elusive fellow he is, but not completely beyond reach.

In all seriousness I am kicking myself that I didn't pick up all I could afford when they were $600.00 each 10 years ago.

Guess we will have to see how things work out, but this one is on my radar. Just how far away it is will have to be seen.

Take care,

Richard
Old 15 February 2010, 01:56 PM   #4
shandy
Banned

Ahh Richard, you and I have similar tastes, the Hemmingway would be my choice for my next MB as well. I got to see one in the flesh a few months ago and there is something just right about that pen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Thank you Ian! I am very happy with it and its size so far. I am actually quite surprised that I like it so well.

Next on the agenda....?

How about a Montblanc Hemingway FP to match my Hemingway BP? Quite an elusive fellow he is, but not completely beyond reach.

In all seriousness I am kicking myself that I didn't pick up all I could afford when they were $600.00 each 10 years ago.

Guess we will have to see how things work out, but this one is on my radar. Just how far away it is will have to be seen.

Take care,

Richard
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Ahh Richard, you and I have similar tastes, the Hemmingway would be my choice for my next MB as well. I got to see one in the flesh a few months ago and there is something just right about that pen!
You got that right Ian. I would want that pen even if no one else did.
Old 18 February 2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Well, after having it about a week now I have to see it is everything it was promised. And to date it is the most gorgeous FP I own.

Gotta get more of these!

Bisquitlips <------- On the hunt!
Old 19 February 2010, 02:21 AM   #7
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Richard, I'm glad you are enjoying your new pen....."it's always fun to go to the candy store when you have money to spend".....

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 04:04 PM   #8
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
Being the owner of an Omas pen, I enjoyed your review of that beautful OMAS. They are great pens.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks to all for the great comments.

It is a SWEET pen! I want more!
Old 5 March 2010, 08:17 AM   #10
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Great review, Richard. Your knowledge of pens is awesome. I hadn't seen it before I asked you the questions about the Arco. It is a beauty, and I imagine the finish will be even better in person.

Congrats.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Great review, Richard. Your knowledge of pens is awesome. I hadn't seen it before I asked you the questions about the Arco. It is a beauty, and I imagine the finish will be even better in person.

Congrats.
John,

There is nothing to compare with the Arco from a finish and celluloid perspective. One of my very favorite pens in the last 30 years.

Richard