The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 April 2022, 09:52 AM   #1
Zeitgeister
"TRF" Member

Replacement for 15500 seen in the flesh

Hi all,

Long time reader, but making my first ever post…

I saw the replacement for the 15500 in the flesh today. As expected, the 15510 is largely similar to the 15500, but a few of my observations are:

- The calibre itself remains unchanged, however the 50th anniversary rotor has been added (in the same metal colour as the case), consistent with the other 50th anniversary pieces.

- The “AP” logo has disappeared completely.

- The “Audemars Piguet” signature is in galvanic growth (similar to the Code). In my opinion, it’s much more difficult to read than the printed signature on the 15500.

- The hour markers (and I believe perhaps the lugs, too) are very-slightly different to the 15500.

Overall, not much has changed, however I feel the 15500 has a better overall layout and legibility. I found the signature on the 15510 to be extremely difficult to read.

The 15400 had everything going on the dial: AP logo, Audemars Piguet signature and the “automatic” text at 6 o’clock.

The 15500 has just the AP logo and signature.

The 15510 has just the signature.

Hope this is of interest,
Zeitgeister.
Zeitgeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 02:52 PM   #2
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

AP on the dial was the signature of nearly all the Royal Oaks and now has been replaced by the “galvanic growth” lettering. Your review mirrors my exact sentiments. The 50th Anniversary rotor is a nice touch.
Incremental improvements and internal movement upgrades are always welcome; but I so dearly miss the AP logo ;-(
Looking forward to seeing the replacement and opportunity to add to my collection as the 15500 Rose Gold was due to be my next piece.
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 04:10 PM   #3
nan7yo
"TRF" Member

Replacement for 15500 seen in the flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeister View Post
Hi all,

I saw the replacement for the 15500 in the flesh today. As expected, the 15510 is largely similar to the 15500, but a few of my observations are:

- The calibre itself remains unchanged, however the 50th anniversary rotor has been added (in the same metal colour as the case), consistent with the other 50th anniversary pieces.

- The “Audemars Piguet” signature is in galvanic growth (similar to the Code). In my opinion, it’s much more difficult to read than the printed signature on the 15500.

- The hour markers (and I believe perhaps the lugs, too) are very-slightly different to the 15500.

Overall, not much has changed, however I feel the 15500 has a better overall layout and legibility. I found the signature on the 15510 to be extremely difficult to read.

The 15400 had everything going on the dial: AP logo, Audemars Piguet signature and the “automatic” text at 6 o’clock.

Zeitgeister.

Thanks for sharing! Did they add or remove any color of the dials of 15500?

And any other model will be announced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nan7yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 05:14 PM   #4
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
How were you able to view the replacement?
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 05:42 PM   #5
Zeitgeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan7yo View Post
Thanks for sharing! Did they add or remove any color of the dials of 15500?

And any other model will be announced?

I neglected to ask about dial colour changes, however I did learn that the midnight blue colour has now been standardised across the entire RO range. The specific shade of blue differed slightly between the models, but it’s now identical across the board.

Regarding any new models, I believe the RO range changes have already been announced, so I’m not aware of any further changes (other than the 15510). I’ve not seen any formal announcements around the 15510, and the 15500 is still appearing on AP’s website, however given the 15510 I saw was in plain view for the public to see (although it needed a keen eye to spot it), I dare say the official factory launch and official discontinuation of the 15500 announcement must be imminent.
Old 16 April 2022, 06:01 PM   #6
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Thank you for that info, makes me even more exited to collect my 15500 next month from the AP boutique. Surely one of the very last produced. I feel lucky.
Old 16 April 2022, 06:55 PM   #7
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Thank you for that info, makes me even more exited to collect my 15500 next month from the AP boutique. Surely one of the very last produced. I feel lucky.
That is lucky indeed - congrats :-)

What colour dial?
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 08:51 PM   #8
DVR
"TRF" Member

I chose the anthracite dial. At first I hesitated between the silver and anthracite but in the end the choice was easy and have not regretted my decision. Just to be clear, the watch arrived at the boutique last Thursday but wont be able to pick it up until end of next month. Patience is a virtue they say
Old 16 April 2022, 09:20 PM   #9
edo
"TRF" Member

Always loved AP logo, so from my perspective getting rid of AP logo from all RO models except Jumbo is a very bad move...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 10:01 PM   #10
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Thanks for the details, but most of the things you listed seem to be confirmed in the leaked photo on AP website. Posts like these really need pics :)
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 01:45 PM   #11
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
always loved ap logo, so from my perspective getting rid of ap logo from all ro models except jumbo is a very bad move...
+1
Old 17 April 2022, 10:09 PM   #12
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
The AP logo is one of the best things about the RO. The RO is still a stellar watch, but for those of us who have models w/ the AP lettering, we're lucky.
Old 18 April 2022, 10:22 PM   #13
Zeitgeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,

Zeitgeister.
And now with a few photos (I finally worked out how to upload). This is a blue dial example of the 15510.

Please excuse the reflection and the grainy pics - it was behind glass, and I was zooming in - but you'll get the idea. As I mentioned in my first post, the signature is hard to read, unless the dial is angled 'just so'.

The 'leaked' photo on the AP website is indeed accurate. I didn't mention in my first post the minute markers are now printed directly onto the tapisserie dial (rather than having a track, a la the 15500).

I was also told that the 15510 is likely to be announced officially in July, but don't quote me on that.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (58.3 KB, 1643 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (61.4 KB, 1649 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (48.2 KB, 1645 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.JPG (53.9 KB, 1642 views)
Old 20 April 2022, 06:58 AM   #14
Zeitgeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,

Zeitgeister.
And now with a few pics (I uploaded these yesterday, but they still haven't appeared, so am trying again). This particular example is with a blue dial.

Please excuse the reflections/grainy photos (it was behind glass), but you'll get the idea. I can confirm the 'leaked' photo on the AP website is indeed the upcoming 15510.

As can be seen from the pictures, the galvanic growth signature is rather difficult to read, unless the angle of the light is 'just so'.

The 15510 is nice, but for me, the 15500 is much nicer.

In terms of timing, I was told it'll likely be announced officially in July.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo1.JPG (32.2 KB, 1658 views)
File Type: jpg Photo2.JPG (30.1 KB, 1645 views)
File Type: jpg Photo3.JPG (26.1 KB, 1642 views)
File Type: jpg Photo4.JPG (30.6 KB, 1626 views)
Old 20 April 2022, 10:52 AM   #15
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Looks a lot more balanced now. It was top hemisphere heavy with the AP logo and Audemars Piquet signature. However, I am not sure removing the AP logo is the best solution. Second, I think removing the "chapter ring" (not sure if this is the right term) where the minute markers are printed on is definately good. It was out of place messing with pattisere dial. It looks like AP wanted to have a slightly easier mfg process not to print the markers on the pattisere dial. I would presonally prefer having the AP logo on the upper dial hemispere and the Audemars Piquet signature on the lower, or the other way around. It would make the dial more balance. It would then make it more like the 15400 minus the word automatic (the only flaw on the 15400).
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 11:21 AM   #16
nan7yo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And now with a few pics (I uploaded these yesterday, but they still haven't appeared, so am trying again). This particular example is with a blue dial.

Please excuse the reflections/grainy photos (it was behind glass), but you'll get the idea. I can confirm the 'leaked' photo on the AP website is indeed the upcoming 15510.

As can be seen from the pictures, the galvanic growth signature is rather difficult to read, unless the angle of the light is 'just so'.

The 15510 is nice, but for me, the 15500 is much nicer.

In terms of timing, I was told it'll likely be announced officially in July.

Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing!

What else are you seeing? Will they update the 34mm model with similar arrangement?

Old 20 April 2022, 01:18 PM   #17
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And now with a few photos (I finally worked out how to upload). This is a blue dial example of the 15510.

Please excuse the reflection and the grainy pics - it was behind glass, and I was zooming in - but you'll get the idea. As I mentioned in my first post, the signature is hard to read, unless the dial is angled 'just so'.

The 'leaked' photo on the AP website is indeed accurate. I didn't mention in my first post the minute markers are now printed directly onto the tapisserie dial (rather than having a track, a la the 15500).

I was also told that the 15510 is likely to be announced officially in July, but don't quote me on that.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the pics!

I like this much better than the 15500.

Much prefer the minute markings on the tapisserie on the 15510.
And for the minute hand to reach the minute markings.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 01:26 PM   #18
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Interesting! The longer hour markers seem to give the dial more balance. The Audemars Piguet is difficult to see, because of its high quality black polishing. In addition to the missing AP logo, I still feel the 15500st is better. Because the dial looks good at any angle and any lighting. The 15510st needs to be at a certain angle/lighting to look right.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 01:59 PM   #19
Emery
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the pics!

I’m a fan of the 15510.

I’ve always felt the 15500’s minute track being printed separate to the tapisserie was a lazy attempt at this price point.

The longer hour markers also make this new reference look more balanced and the dial less empty/dinner plate.

AP logo will definitely be missed, but I reckon people will get over it fairly quickly.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 02:09 PM   #20
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

I think for most of us as long as you can get a 41mm RO we'll take it
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 03:04 PM   #21
BatteryVoltas
"TRF" Member

Helluva first post!

I really miss the AP logo. The lack of the AP logo does balance out the dial but now the dial is too empty.

The 15500 was really top heavy without the automatic script. The 15400 is my favorite with the AP, Audemars Piguet, and automatic script. The 15300 was the "right size" but I feel like the logo was way too big and in the wrong spot.
BatteryVoltas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 05:33 PM   #22
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan7yo View Post
Thanks for sharing!

What else are you seeing? Will they update the 34mm model with similar arrangement?
77350CE is already updated (as a .A model), one could presume the others will follow.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 06:10 PM   #23
nan7yo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
77350CE is already updated (as a .A model), one could presume the others will follow.

Thanks, you are right.

Make me want to get the existing 34mm for my wife sooner!

Old 20 April 2022, 08:30 PM   #24
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Interesting! The longer hour markers seem to give the dial more balance. The Audemars Piguet is difficult to see, because of its high quality black polishing. In addition to the missing AP logo, I still feel the 15500st is better. Because the dial looks good at any angle and any lighting. The 15510st needs to be at a certain angle/lighting to look right.

Totally agree. Looks nicely balanced with those new indicies on the new 15510.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 08:34 PM   #25
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Thank you. Now that it looks like a 15510 will be released in July, do we know when the 15500 will cease production?

Curious about the timing especially since we saw some 26315s rolling in after the 26715 release.
Old 20 April 2022, 10:36 PM   #26
supernova
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the pics! I’m split on it, I definitely like the AP logo but I also like the new minute track on tappisserie, gives a more classic look. Although minute track on 15500 does make it look sportier.

I still think 15500 edges it ever so slightly for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 10:43 PM   #27
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

With the transition from 15400 to 15500, and now the 15500 to the 15510, AP makes it inconclusive whether the new model is a definite aesthetic “upgrade” or “downgrade”, with it ultimately coming down to personal preference.

I find that brilliant and awesome!
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 10:59 PM   #28
deuxani
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Enjoy!
Thanks a lot for sharing these pictures! It looks beautifully finished, like always. The chamfered edges are much more pronounced and there is a lot more taper on the top links, just like on the 15550. It will most probably wear smaller than the 15500, which many will welcome. I love the longer hour markers, that’s what makes the dial more filled and gives it more the look of the original. This wasn’t possible without the removal of the AP logo.

But, I have to say it looks less like a Royal Oak now. The case and bracelet is supposed to be boxy and squarish, while now it becomes more sleek and refined. And the dial has no AP logo and the hour markers feel really big because of the thickness. I’m not sure how I feel about that yet. We will have to see it in real life on the wrist
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 03:40 AM   #29
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Great post, OP.

The standout of the new model changes for me is the minute markers directly on the tapisserie dial - it really gives the dial a crisp, clean look. However I have to admit that I do miss the “AP” on the dial.

NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 03:54 AM   #30
DVR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiJaRo1225 View Post
The standout of the new model changes for me is the minute markers directly on the tapisserie dial - it really gives the dial a crisp, clean look. However I have to admit that I do miss the “AP” on the dial.
And so we all have our own preferences.
My eyes hurt a little when I see all those minute markers on the squares and openings/cuts. Prefer the separate minute track that brings serenity.

What I prefer is the minute hand touching the minute track though.

All in all, I would be happy with either a 15500 or 15510. Both are, in real life, close to identical.