The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 July 2020, 09:31 PM   #1
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Icon5 What is the correct shape of the lug - Rolex 16700

Which watch has the correct form/shape of the lugs. The way the lugs should be and look when it was released. It just confuses me when I see the same watch, from the same year and the lugs look rather different. Is this a dealbreaker for some?

I try to keep an eye out on a 16700/16710 and sometimes I think ''this one is good'', has a sharp/thick case and lugs and then I take a better look and notice the lugs are a bit different. I don't mind polishing but those details I'd like to have correct. The same goes for the crownguards.

And when you go back in time and look at all the 5513s/1675s you see so many different lug variants. I realize there have been a lot of changes from Rolex out, especially in the early days, but it seems like a lot of watch makers went to work and re-shaped as they desired or think it should have been.

Am I correct in my observation? Just wanted to hear some opinions, not to bash a watch or someone. Just so I can keep an eye out on the details.

Rolex 16700 - 1990 - source from the recent Philips auction - NOS.

Rolex 16700 - 1996 - source HQMilton - here you see at the end of the lug, it slopes down. This is different than the 1990 16700 from Philips.

16700 - 1996 - source tropicalwatch. Here you see a bit more detail in the chamfer (?) than the ones above.

16700 - 1996 - near NOS shape (advertised like this). This one is different than the one listed above. The line is straight, so not as it supposed to be? It's not like the ones above. So this one has been worked on? These were the only pictures, nothing else. Watch is sold btw, old listing.

16700 - 1997 - source watchclub. This one looks pretty good and tight lug-wise. Watch is sold, was an old listing.

Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 06:14 AM   #2
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Someone? Anyone?

Edit: I was stupid and the images were removed. Shit...

Rolex 16700 - 1990 - source from the recent Philips auction - NOS.

Rolex 16700 - 1996 - source HQMilton - here you see at the end of the lug, it slopes down. This is different than the 1990 16700 from Philips.

16700 - 1996 - source tropicalwatch. Here you see a bit more detail in the chamfer (?) than the ones above.

16700 - 1996 - near NOS shape (advertised like this). This one is different than the one listed above. The line is straight, so not as it supposed to be? It's not like the ones above. So this one has been worked on? These were the only pictures, nothing else. Watch is sold btw, old listing.

16700 - 1997 - source watchclub. This one looks pretty good and tight lug-wise. Watch is sold, was an old listing.

Old 2 July 2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Icon5

Obviously it seems to vary. Pick the best example at the price you can afford and be happy!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
Obviously it seems to vary. Pick the best example at the price you can afford and be happy!
I understand this, but at some point everything seems to get blurry.

All the dealers write ''excellent condition'', they are the experts in the end but do not properly describe the watch. I've seen people write ''bracelet in perfect shape'' when it's literally struggling to stay together and with a lot of stretch. Same for the lugs, same for crownguards that go missing.
Old 2 July 2020, 09:29 AM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I don’t think the one with the big chamfers is original....that’s how Rolex did the watches in the 60s....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 09:45 AM   #6
dricig
"TRF" Member

You will get different opinions on each of these watches regarding original or polished.
I never understood why someone would send their watch to get "chamfers" when that is only removing metal and rounding off a crisp lug edge.
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I understand this, but at some point everything seems to get blurry.

All the dealers write ''excellent condition'', they are the experts in the end but do not properly describe the watch. I've seen people write ''bracelet in perfect shape'' when it's literally struggling to stay together and with a lot of stretch. Same for the lugs, same for crownguards that go missing.
Use this as a reference example. The lugs are factory fresh from Geneva:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Zk-Xjn...=1c35y57vohvnw
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote