The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2020, 02:28 PM   #1
PleaseStandBack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Building my AD Relationship

So I went in to my AD tonight for the third time in about 2 months, and have spoken with the manager each time, who I find very personable. Anyway I came in to tell him that I couldn't wait to get my first Rolex and bought a DJ online (even though I was on his list) but was still hoping to stay on his steel sub list. And I told him my goal is to complete the set with a Root Beer in another year or so.

His response totally took me back -- He said to put down my wishlist in order of what I want most with my phone number. Whatever I wanted. So i put down 1) Hulk; 2) BLNR; 3) Sub Date; 4) No Date.
And he was totally down with those and said he appreciated that I keep coming by and that I'm local, and that I should expect a call in 6 months or so -- and if it was for a black sub that he'd let me turn it down if he thinks it might be only a few more months for the hulk/batman :)

Anyway, feeling optomistic about my chances of getting one of these guys. Even without a purchase history
PleaseStandBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:32 PM   #2
YYR
"TRF" Member

You never know there are still dealers out there that will sell to you
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:33 PM   #3
YYR
"TRF" Member

Hope you get something nice
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:36 PM   #4
scombs263
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Very nice. Nice to hear there are good ADs still out there.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 04:59 PM   #5
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
OP, I do hope you get all of those watches (and then some), but I'd be very, very surprised if that AD even gave you the No Date
Old 24 January 2020, 05:27 PM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Is he worried that his greys may not want any more Hulks, BLNR’s, Subdates or Subs?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
I hope this happens for you, but I must say that it seems too good to be true.

Fingers crossed for you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:14 PM   #8
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseStandBack View Post
So I went in to my AD tonight for the third time in about 2 months, and have spoken with the manager each time, who I find very personable. Anyway I came in to tell him that I couldn't wait to get my first Rolex and bought a DJ online (even though I was on his list) but was still hoping to stay on his steel sub list. And I told him my goal is to complete the set with a Root Beer in another year or so.

His response totally took me back -- He said to put down my wishlist in order of what I want most with my phone number. Whatever I wanted. So i put down 1) Hulk; 2) BLNR; 3) Sub Date; 4) No Date.
And he was totally down with those and said he appreciated that I keep coming by and that I'm local, and that I should expect a call in 6 months or so -- and if it was for a black sub that he'd let me turn it down if he thinks it might be only a few more months for the hulk/batman :)

Anyway, feeling optomistic about my chances of getting one of these guys. Even without a purchase history
One tip...don't mention to an AD that you bought Grey Market. They don't like that one bit. It also sends a signal to them that you might buy a watch from them and flip it. Talking about Grey Market with an AD sends all the wrong signals even if they "chat you up" with the waiting list jabber.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:49 PM   #9
AstroClock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I went in to my AD tonight for the third time in about 2 months, and have spoken with the manager each time, who I find very personable. Anyway I came in to tell him that I couldn't wait to get my first Rolex and bought a DJ online (even though I was on his list) but was still hoping to stay on his steel sub list. And I told him my goal is to complete the set with a Root Beer in another year or so.:
I’m confused.... why didn’t you buy the DJ from the AD? That seems like a much better way to build the relationship.
AstroClock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:53 PM   #10
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroClock View Post
I’m confused.... why didn’t you buy the DJ from the AD? That seems like a much better way to build the relationship.

Yep, agreed. Probably cheaper and quicker with a grey. This is what people used to do with the now in-demand models. Those same people now complain that AD’s won’t get them what they want. You reap what you sow in this world!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:48 PM   #11
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
50/50 your number went in the trash.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #12
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
50/50 your number went in the trash.
Likely, very likely. Perhaps thinks of him as a potential flipper as he was asking for all the hot models.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:09 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

In the real world all of this today's ADs relationship stuff only exists on internet forums, all ADs are in businesses for one thing only.That is to sell as many watches to any Tom,Dick or Harry that shows interest in buying in his/her place of business.Of coarse he appreciated it he is hopefully going to sell you some watches thats what his retail business is for.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:58 AM   #14
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In the real world all of this today's ADs relationship stuff only exists on internet forums, all ADs are in businesses for one thing only.That is to sell as many watches to any Tom,Dick or Harry that shows interest in buying in his/her place of business.Of coarse he appreciated it he is hopefully going to sell you some watches thats what his retail business is for.

Nonsense. I live in the real world. I have a great relationship with all the people at my local AD. I was first to get the Daytona and first to get the Pepsi. I am by no means one of their best customers.

One size does not fit all.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 24 January 2020, 08:17 PM   #15
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
“Building a relationship” means making them money. It doesn’t mean “getting to know them” like you seem to think. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a hulk or a batgirl from that AD. Move on.

cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:00 PM   #16
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
All the best. I wouldn't entertain it myself. 3 visits and you're looking at 6 months+. I'd apply the '3 date rule'. See ya.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:04 PM   #17
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
“Building a relationship” means making them money. It doesn’t mean “getting to know them” like you seem to think. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a hulk or a batgirl from that AD. Move on.

I’m going to start looking hard for a post from you that’s not actually a troll post. When I find one I’ll report back to you.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:57 AM   #18
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’m going to start looking hard for a post from you that’s not actually a troll post. When I find one I’ll report back to you.
Hahahahah

cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:04 PM   #19
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:

Very cool. Smart to keep going and visiting. I bet that sales guy will hook you up with at least one of those in the next few months. I look forward to hearing about you picking one up.

And OP just ignore most of the posts on this thread. There are some mean peeps here. Brush it off. You’ll get one of the watches you’re looking for. Keep stopping in.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:43 AM   #20
PleaseStandBack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Very cool. Smart to keep going and visiting. I bet that sales guy will hook you up with at least one of those in the next few months. I look forward to hearing about you picking one up.

And OP just ignore most of the posts on this thread. There are some mean peeps here. Brush it off. You’ll get one of the watches you’re looking for. Keep stopping in.
Thanks sir! Will do!!
PleaseStandBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:35 PM   #21
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Sounds very positive... let us know how you get on.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:46 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good luck Matt. Don’t let the naysayers ruin your mood
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:54 PM   #23
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Why do people kiss the arse of AD’s? If they had a display full of the watches you wanted, you would not spend 2 minutes talking to the AD
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:12 PM   #24
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Why do people kiss the arse of AD’s? If they had a display full of the watches you wanted, you would not spend 2 minutes talking to the AD
I'd spend more time talking to a sales person at an AD if they had a case full of watches.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:59 AM   #25
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not true. That is exactly what I did back in the day when their displays were full. Perhaps that’s why they treat me so well now.

Old 25 January 2020, 01:07 AM   #26
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Not true. That is exactly what I did back in the day when their displays were full. Perhaps that’s why they treat me so well now.

100% agree with this!

I know that my AD is in my corner- they have been really good to me.
Old 25 January 2020, 01:20 AM   #27
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:

I agree with this. A optimistic mind would view it as building relationship while a pessimistic mind would call it something totally opposite. Everything we feel about something is largely about our perspective of it, not the thing itself. It's all about perspective.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:15 AM   #28
air_king
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is exactly how it works. I just bought my BLRO and like others have said before I’m not a VIP by any means.
air_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:39 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That says a lot about...

I enjoy talking watches with true enthusiasts and curious newbies... whomever they may be. Could also be about Grandfather clocks, or pocket watches. Perhaps the JLC Atmos desk clock....

Enjoy Your Time
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:54 PM   #30
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Good luck on the hunt, OP. It makes the catch ever sweeter.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote