The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2020, 01:22 AM   #1
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Rolex Warranties for second owners

Hi guys and gals,

Recently joined and been lurking around following threads. I am looking to buy my first Rolex. Always been a "watch guy". Have worn and appreciated my watches since I was a teenager. But never spent more than a couple grand on a watch, mainly because there was always something else needing my money, so my wife always told me LOL.

Now I'm 58 and just sold my company and am retiring. I want to reward myself with a SkyDweller 326933 white dial. I live in Orlando where the local Rolex Boutique is a top volume seller with lots of product coming through. The Boutique manager said there's only one person in front of me for that config and odds are he can likely have it for me within a few months, but of course cannot make any guarantees.

I'm also lucky to live 5 miles away from DavidSW's store here on the south end of the city (he does not have that watch right now). But here's the general question after that back story. Does Rolex honor an "unworn" watch even though I am not the original owner? Would it be wise to wait for a new one from The Rolex Boutique or pull the trigger and take a new unworn one from a local gray (assuming he gets one first)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:00 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Warranty of a watch purchased initially from an AD follows the watch, not the owner. The name on the card doesn’t matter.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:39 AM   #3
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Warranty of a watch purchased initially from an AD follows the watch, not the owner. The name on the card doesn’t matter.
+1 to this.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:41 AM   #4
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

+2 to this
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:47 AM   #5
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
This is posted on the Rolex website itself

The guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official Rolex Retailer; (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase; and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch, either to an Official Rolex Retailer or to an Official Rolex Service Centre. Any work carried out by third parties will render the guarantee null and void.

While many have said that the warranty follows the watch, there are known incidents where the NYC RSC requires your actual name on the warranty card to provide warranty service. However, the Dallas RSC doesn't seem to care. I think it's still a gray area not completely defined by Rolex yet
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:55 AM   #6
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge warranty followed the owner in the past.

It looks like the brand has updated their warranty policy. Thanks for the info.
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 04:12 AM   #7
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post
To the best of my knowledge warranty followed the owner in the past.

It looks like the brand has updated their warranty policy. Thanks for the info.
It never did, Rolex never has kept track of ownership unlike Patek or other more high end brands.

Warranty on a Rolex is highly overrated anyway. Good chance you'll never need it and service or adjustment is cheap
Old 18 February 2020, 04:23 AM   #8
Cocochu
"TRF" Member

If I am in your situation, I will definitely wait for the AD for the experience and my name on the card since it will be your first Rolex purchase. Also only one person in front of you which mean nothing tbh. Unless you want to build up a relationship with this particular AD otherwise try to put your name with other ADs around you and see which come through first. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cocochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 04:28 AM   #9
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get where you're going with the bolded part, but it implies that there are other ways to get a Rolex warranty. It's simpler to simply state that a warranty, if there is one, follows the watch.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 04:30 AM   #10
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

I took mine into the RSC in NYC with a warranty card that had the name crossed out and they told me the warranty was voided as a result.
Saltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 04:31 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
I get where you're going with the bolded part, but it implies that there are other ways to get a Rolex warranty. It's simpler to simply state that a warranty, if there is one, follows the watch.

There are instances where a watch is not purchased from an AD initially in which case warranty is voided or rather was never initiated to begin with
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 05:01 AM   #12
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments. You all made me think of something I didn't consider. If I got it from a grey and it is new or very new, it could be something that was never registered with Rolex. In that case there woukd definitely be no warranty. Good point. Also sounds like RSC NYC is following there own rules and avoid them if you can.

Patience was never one of my strong points but I guess I'll try to wait it out for a new one from the AD. It avoids all the uncertainty. If I'm still waiting by Christmas I might lose patience and consider grey market. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 18 February 2020, 06:50 AM   #13
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Often-discussed topic ...

As long as your warranty card is originally from an AD and fully filled out, the watch is covered (as long as the other conditions are met, such as no aftermarket parts or work performed).

The NYC RSC once tried to give me a hard time about a Sea-Dweller 116600 with a slightly misaligned bezel I wanted fixed. It was a different name on the warranty card. I simply said the watch was a gift. End of discussion, and they took care of it under warranty.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:09 AM   #14
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Often-discussed topic ...

As long as your warranty card is originally from an AD and fully filled out, the watch is covered (as long as the other conditions are met, such as no aftermarket parts or work performed).

The NYC RSC once tried to give me a hard time about a Sea-Dweller 116600 with a slightly misaligned bezel I wanted fixed. It was a different name on the warranty card. I simply said the watch was a gift. End of discussion, and they took care of it under warranty.
Message recieved. So, if you buy a new or newish watch, and want to be able to have the warranty , try to make sure the watch was "registered" as sold from an AD and you have a clean warranty card. Also, dont be stupid and volunteer information that you bought it from a grey.

So when you try to mail it to an RSC for warranty work do they want you to prove tour identity? Send them a pic of your warranty card? Or is that only a risk when you are a walk in?

I have to admit it's a strange way to treat customers who own your product. I guess it's their clumsy way to try to push back at the grey market. But they kind of created it

Old 20 February 2020, 12:56 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey View Post
Message recieved. So, if you buy a new or newish watch, and want to be able to have the warranty , try to make sure the watch was "registered" as sold from an AD and you have a clean warranty card. Also, dont be stupid and volunteer information that you bought it from a grey.

So when you try to mail it to an RSC for warranty work do they want you to prove tour identity? Send them a pic of your warranty card? Or is that only a risk when you are a walk in?
Not sure, because I've never shipped a Rolex to an RSC. Only done walk-ins. I'd suggest just calling whatever RSC you plan to use and ask about the proper procedures. Not all RSCs are as strict or have the exact same procedures, so you should double-check.

Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:08 AM   #16
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I actually visited RSC NY yesterday, and they were quite pleasant to deal with. I did clarify the fact of warranty following the watch not the person, as long as its filled out correctly and is still in its valid time period purchased from a US AD, they will not require an invoice.

The representative I had was actually quite nice to deal with, I dropped off a 116710LN and he complimented me on the 126710BLRO I was wearing.

There was one thing that was made extremely clear, no third party polishes and impact signs void warranty when presented together.
mrmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:33 AM   #17
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarty View Post
I actually visited RSC NY yesterday, and they were quite pleasant to deal with. I did clarify the fact of warranty following the watch not the person, as long as its filled out correctly and is still in its valid time period purchased from a US AD, they will not require an invoice.

The representative I had was actually quite nice to deal with, I dropped off a 116710LN and he complimented me on the 126710BLRO I was wearing.

There was one thing that was made extremely clear, no third party polishes and impact signs void warranty when presented together.
Thanks guys. This is helpful if I run out of patience and decide to buy and "unworn" watch from a Gray.

Several of you have said that it needs to be something that was registered originally by an AD. That makes perfect sense but that then raises the obvious question; how do I know a watch has been registered if I am looking at it in person at DavidSW's store, for example? Is there a stamp on it or some authoritative marking that proves it for me? Since this would be my 1st rolex purchase I don't know what to expect.

Thanks in advance !

Old 20 February 2020, 01:40 AM   #18
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Thanks guys. This is helpful if I run out of patience and decide to buy and "unworn" watch from a Gray.

Several of you have said that it needs to be something that was registered originally by an AD. That makes perfect sense but that then raises the obvious question; how do I know a watch has been registered if I am looking at it in person at DavidSW's store, for example? Is there a stamp on it or some authoritative marking that proves it for me? Since this would be my 1st rolex purchase I don't know what to expect.

Thanks in advance !
I actually love dealing with David, he's pleasant and will answer all available questions. From my experience, his unworn watches are all dated which should make the watch validated.

Ask him if the card has been filled out properly as in the following:

First and Last name on the card or the presence of XXXX
Month, Day, Year filled out
Valid US Authorized dealer name on the card

with those three properly filled out for an unworn watch, I wouldn't hesitate. Albeit you're looking at a brand new unworn watch, I would also ask if there has been any type of polishing done to the time piece.
mrmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:36 AM   #19
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are instances where a watch is not purchased from an AD initially in which case warranty is voided or rather was never initiated to begin with
Yes, which was my point. Your original post implies that there are two kinds of Rolex warranties, and the ones from ADs behave differently. That presumably wasn't your intended meaning, so I clarified that there is only one kind of warranty from Rolex, and you either have it or you don't.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:06 AM   #20
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
This is posted on the Rolex website itself

The guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official Rolex Retailer; (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase; and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch, either to an Official Rolex Retailer or to an Official Rolex Service Centre. Any work carried out by third parties will render the guarantee null and void.

While many have said that the warranty follows the watch, there are known incidents where the NYC RSC requires your actual name on the warranty card to provide warranty service. However, the Dallas RSC doesn't seem to care. I think it's still a gray area not completely defined by Rolex yet
This IS a gray (no pun intended) area. Have had two instances where I needed warranty work done by Rolex (one was a Tudor) and both times there was discussion on why my name was not on the card and whether or not the warranty would be honored. Both times it worked out in my favor, but there was a discussion. It's not black and white, and that I learned from the real world in my own experience.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:07 AM   #21
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarty View Post
I actually love dealing with David, he's pleasant and will answer all available questions. From my experience, his unworn watches are all dated which should make the watch validated.

Ask him if the card has been filled out properly as in the following:

First and Last name on the card or the presence of XXXX
Month, Day, Year filled out
Valid US Authorized dealer name on the card

with those three properly filled out for an unworn watch, I wouldn't hesitate. Albeit you're looking at a brand new unworn watch, I would also ask if there has been any type of polishing done to the time piece.
+1 on David Williams. He is one of the best, most forthright and honest people you could ever hope to deal with.

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 06:09 AM   #22
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys. This conversation really helped me understand the situation well. Fortunately I live just a few miles from David's store here in South Orlando. If he gets a 326933 before an AD I will talk to them armed with all this new knowledge. Thanks again

Old 20 February 2020, 07:35 AM   #23
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltzy View Post
I took mine into the RSC in NYC with a warranty card that had the name crossed out and they told me the warranty was voided as a result.

And you just walked out?
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:15 AM   #24
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Perfect
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:26 AM   #25
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance !

All Rolex watches were originally purchased from an AD and registered. The gray market we talk about here is not the same "by definition" gray market that you might find with a camera coming from overseas or something like that. Gray market with Rolex just refers to the secondary market. If the watch comes with a warranty card, you can almost guarantee that the warranty is valid.

David will take care of you and probably get you that watch very quickly, and maybe get your name on it as well. He can also address all of these questions if you give him a call.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:56 AM   #26
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm also lucky to live 5 miles away from DavidSW's store here on the south end of the city (he does not have that watch right now). But here's the general question after that back story. Does Rolex honor an "unworn" watch even though I am not the original owner? Would it be wise to wait for a new one from The Rolex Boutique or pull the trigger and take a new unworn one from a local gray (assuming he gets one first)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I’d 100% wait for AD. That said, if David gets it in and you are willing to pay his price, he is top notch!

I have mostly owned pre owned. I had issue with my watch. Mayors in Orlando (they are the worst), told me it’s an issue I am not on warranty card. Called Dallas RSC and they said 100% not an issue, serviced my watch under warranty, and sent it back.

You’re good. Warranty follows watch not person. Maybe international warranty is different, but I don’t think so (not 100% sure).
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:59 AM   #27
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I've never had a personal experience with RSC on any of mine yet but since your talking of a couple months for a white SkyD I'd wait.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:16 PM   #28
djgallo
Banned

I suggest if you have warranty type questions...simply pick up your phone and call RSC and get the info directly from the horses mouth....
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 08:08 PM   #29
ijpx
"TRF" Member

Recently serviced my watch under warranty.
No issue, no questions asked. My card is fully printed not written though and watch hasn’t been opened or service by others.
ijpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 10:13 PM   #30
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Being so close to David SW I would go to the store and speak with him directly about your concerns and solutions. He does a wonderful job of customer service and will answer all of your questions. If David can access the watch for you, and he can, I would consider stepping up and moving on the watch. David is showing two white dial Sky-Dwellers on his site for sale right now. Get in the car, go talk to him and buy your watch. Get on with the ownership experience and wearing the watch. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote