The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2020, 05:36 PM   #61
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
I see you kinda re-openned this thread. LOL

I came late to the party, but I saw the damage on the clasp in the photos in the other thread you originally started.

Dude, I totally understand how you feel about this regarding the scratch. Brutal now that Rolex watches are harder to come by these days and if you make a big deal out of this, you may face being overlooked in the future for good pieces by this particular AD cause they won't want to deal with you anymore.

I'll give you some advice on what I say/do when it comes to submitting my watch for a repair/cleaning/sizing. The last time I was at Rolex RC in my city, before I handed over the watch to the desk admin, I made sure to go over the watch with her showing her the condition, what scratches I had and where, and told her I wanted the watch back in the same condition as I handed it over. Let me tell you, no sooner she went to the back with the watch, the Rolex technician came out to see me AND I went over the watch with him AGAIN. Sure enough, he performed the necessary work, I got my watch back with no issues.

Do this and you should be good.

This procedure reminds me of when I take my car in for service at the dealer. A agent come out with me and he would make rounds around the car with a cardboard in hand.
He then would circle every scratch or ding he finds on a vehicle panels drawing on his cardboard.
This is how things should be done but unfortunately it’s clear now that many ADs and RCSs are so negligent :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2020, 05:43 PM   #62
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Clasp and top link .

What made me sad to read was actually you raising the concern and not accepting the very acceptable (clasp replacement) solution not to ruin the future relationship. But it probably made the SA more frustrated as she knows that the issue annoyed you and she was unable to resolve the issue. If she replaced the clasp she would forget about it quicker.

What would happen to your old clasp? The scratch would be removed and it would be given to the next customer as replacement after scratching his clasp and he wouldnt know that it was previously scratched :)

Opening two threads here will also not help the future relationship, as your SA might have read the whole two threads, and it would make her really frustrated.

Maybe I also think sensitive but these are my opinions. The scratches on clasp arent just hairline and comforting yourself wont change the reality. People dont loose peoples trust because they resolve issues. People need people at everthing in life.
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:51 PM   #63
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Wow! This thing is going to pick up a million scratches over time and you can literally polish SS lightly over 100 times before you would even notice! Not even worthy of a thread to begin with
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:06 PM   #64
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

If in fact the AD will never call again, then why not get the clasp changed?
No downside to you.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:35 PM   #65
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

It actually seems very passive aggressive to bring it up at all, particularly if you won’t give them the opportunity to fix it. I’m 100% certain most any decent watchmaker could make that perfect in a few minutes.

Frankly the post about how you react when your family accidentally touches your watch was kind of disturbing. You would actually explode at your father-in-law over something like that?

Maybe it’s time to take a deep dive into priorities and relationships with material things and other people. This can’t be a fun way to go through life, and I mean that with all sincerity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I do not know about a lesson learned here. Since you had stated you did not expect a new clasp and would not let the store polish the clasp on the watch, what was the point of bringing it up to the store? Seems to me more people were needlessly upset over this where they could do nothing to assist you given your parameters.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:13 AM   #66
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I stayed out of the first thread...but those tiny scratches could SO easily be buffed off with NO measurable "metal loss" and you'd have started off with perfect again as you like.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:00 AM   #67
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Too good to hear that Jackson. You did the right thing regarding your SA.
You also helped future customers of the AD in the way that they will not have their watches scratched from now on as the tech will be more cautious when doing the resizing.
Enjoy this beauty.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

First off, no disrespect to Padi (since that thread was closed), and I hope this post finds him well as well as the rest of you.

As many of you are aware, I created a thread that went somewhat viral, regarding my dealer scratching my watch when sizing.

I want to simply fill you all with an update, as I know many of you were curious and following the end results. Here's what happened:

I've spoken to both the SA and the tech. This likely happened in the hands of the SA. The tech apologized, and I spoke with my SA, and both of them proposed that I come and polish it and that they can simply lightly buff it out. I respectfully declined, but I thanked them genuinely for their offer.

I told my SA not to worry, to just be careful, Im actually proud because I was reassuring her that it's not a big deal, and told her I have love for her and she's always a pleasure to deal with. Basically told her not to give it another thought at all and not to worry. I found myself reassuring her that it's okay, because you know what, it is. The thing is on the clasp, it's not on the case, and it could barely even be seen as a light hairline scratch.

This is coming from someone who is admittedly very hypersensitive. I put 3M on my watches for God's sakes!

But with that said, it's definitely a lesson learned and I definitely think that it helps you all - keep the plastics on the watches when sizing, and then ask your ADs to take them off subsequently.

Just the last element or background for thought: the Hulk, Pepsi, and white panda Daytona (or semi panda ;)) were all purchased within a matter of about a year, with absolutely no other purchases and no other history, and without being too specific, I live in one of the most affluent, wealthy, and saturated areas in the WORLD, where VIPs easily will spend a million or two a year. And I'm not one of those VIPs and they have treated me with nothing but respect and kindness.

Thank you everyone for your comments, no matter what they were. And I'm very happy I'm part of this community.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 20 February 2020, 01:10 AM   #68
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
not sure why many users are going after the OP.
sure, it could have been handled in a different ways.

then again who the heck wants to buy a new watch and have it scratched by the AD before even wearing it. then factor in the fact this is a Daytona.

personally, i couldn't give a flying fish about scratches anymore. people that worry about things like this will just drive themselves crazy. my advice is to wear the watch and be happy. it's like buying a car and worrying about dings / chips. it's going to happen and just be happy it's not a fender bender or worse.

it's ironic how times have changed. hen folks are in the market for used watches, they prefer unpolished (aka usually scratched like hell) models.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:00 AM   #69
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP has every right to accept the watch as he wishes.
OP, best of luck and wear it in good health.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:00 AM   #70
AlexFrank
"TRF" Member

Good for you man, Enjoy your watch
AlexFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:11 AM   #71
Rollied
2024 Pledge Member

Is that a scratch....righttttttt...THERE?

j/k props on you for treating that SA with reciprocal respect and kindness, and not berating her for her mistake.
Rollied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:03 AM   #72
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because I would hate the customer who would refuse the offer to polish, and who would make such a demand for a replacement. I would like to think that customer USED TO BE me. So I'm trying to make a change within myself. I don't want to tarnish my relationship with good people who made an honest mistake. Does that makes sense?
Yes
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:00 PM   #73
F33A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
Wow! This thing is going to pick up a million scratches over time and you can literally polish SS lightly over 100 times before you would even notice! Not even worthy of a thread to begin with
F33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:12 PM   #74
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Strange. Glad you’re finally at peace with it all OP. Just skimmed the other thread, sounds like this was a stressful time for you.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote