The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2020, 07:36 PM   #1
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Rolex professional use

Just curious as to whether or not anyone uses their professional models for what they were designed for, or if it's just the look of them that appeals to you?

For example, I know most people are into the GMT but does anyone here need to know the time in a different zone? Perhaps if you have a profession where you deal with others abroad?

Personally I love my TT black dial Daytona (haven't posted it up yet as I haven't long joined and it's at the RSC) I'm not a racer but I love the style and look of it and the chrono function can be used for multiple purposes.
I'd love a sub or a SD but I haven't gone diving yet etc etc.

What are your thoughts and uses for your professional models?
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:47 PM   #2
bigdavep
"TRF" Member

I'm sure there's quite a few pilots on here that make use of the GMT function but there won't be many divers using theirs as professional tools. A lot of watches on here are pampered and aren't allowed near water unfortunately.
bigdavep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:49 PM   #3
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
They’re just Jewellery and have been for a long time.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Brew
"TRF" Member

I'm going to guess that 99% are worn by non-pros wearing a nice watch. Some may take their watches swimming, perhaps an occasional dive while on vacation, but these aren't professionals using their watches for their intended purposes either.

And this is why there aren't enough.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:49 PM   #5
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I'm going to guess that 99% are worn by non-pros wearing a nice watch. Some may take their watches swimming, perhaps an occasional dive while on vacation, but these aren't professionals using their watches for their intended purposes either.

And this is why there aren't enough.
So you are saying that to own a "Professional" model one must be an actual professional.

EG to own a Daytona one must be a racing driver, to own a Explorer be an actual explorer. To own DSSD an actual deep sea diver etc etc. Well that indeed would sort out the "professional" shortage.

As a matter of interest do you actually own a Yacht.

As has been mentioned above the majority of Rolexes are now merely jewellery and are bought for the bling factor Hot model syndrome or by investors, who have enough disposable income to afford them.

They long ago ceased being a "tool watch" I apologise for the long winded post but I'm bored today as I'm stuck in my tent at the South Pole with my 214270 on my wrist.
Old 19 February 2020, 08:53 PM   #6
ericinexile
"TRF" Member

I used my profession (pilot) as a rationalization for getting my Explorer II. The watch is perfect for the job. Its the most readable watch I have ever owned and the quick ability to change zones is welcome after struggling with such a simple task with other watches. But the perfect travel watch is probably an Apple Watch. As others have said, our watches are expensive pieces of jewelry that are delights to wear, look good and feel great on the wrist. There is a heritage that comes from the historic importance of a dependable timepiece. Wearing this watch to work is a joy. But to be honest with myself, if what I really wanted was a timekeeping “tool”, I could not have chosen a more expensive, one-trick-pony than this one. Clearly “tool” is no longer the point. But I too would love to hear from someone who still finds the watch essential. The Migause especially intrigues me. Is there a scientist out there who truly needs that watch and nothing else will do?
ericinexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:12 PM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_jrees View Post
does anyone here need to know the time in a different zone? Perhaps if you have a profession where you deal with others abroad?
Yes and yes. It can also be the other way around in my case. I need to keep track of home time when I'm travelling and working in different time zones. I also like to have instant glance access to the date.

I also find it useful to time things. Sometimes for cooking or parking. Sometimes for work related planning and/or billing. Most times I can get by with with a rotating bezel with graduations on it, so a Sub Date meets my needs. For longer things I will be wearing a chronometer. But not a Daytona, because the sub dials are too small for me to read easily and it has no date function.

And when I just want a three handed watch with no other mechanical complications I wear my Z-Blue. It's almost liberating. But only when I don't need all the other stuff.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:24 PM   #8
"TRF" Member

Yes, 35 years in oil refining. The waterproof oyster case protected the movement from chemicals, gasses and temperature extremes.
1791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:54 PM   #9
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
So you are saying that to own a "Professional" model one must be an actual professional.

EG to own a Daytona one must be a racing driver, to own a Explorer be an actual explorer. To own DSSD an actual deep sea diver etc etc. Well that indeed would sort out the "professional" shortage.

As a matter of interest do you actually own a Yacht.

As has been mentioned above the majority of Rolexes are now merely jewellery and are bought for the bling factor Hot model syndrome or by investors, who have enough disposable income to afford them.

They long ago ceased being a "tool watch" I apologise for the long winded post but I'm bored today as I'm stuck in my tent at the South Pole with my 214270 on my wrist.
I hope you're keeping warm! I'm not sure I'm making a normative statement re: only professionals should use Professional pieces, but it does seem that Rolex's production numbers are.

I no longer have a "yacht*." I gave it to my best friend.

[*note: **loosely defined]

[**note: extremely]
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:05 PM   #10
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I hope you're keeping warm! I'm not sure I'm making a normative statement re: only professionals should use Professional pieces, but it does seem that Rolex's production numbers are.

I no longer have a "yacht*." I gave it to my best friend.

[*note: **loosely defined]

[**note: extremely]

* Sorry Larry it's the frostbite making me grumpy I have already had to amputate 2 toes on my left foot using a Gerber multi tool and a tube of toothpaste

On a postitive my Explorer is still ticking away so I was able to record the time of the amputation.

[* note: extremely loosely not happened.
Old 19 February 2020, 10:06 PM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
J

For example, I know most people are into the GMT but does anyone here need to know the time in a different zone?
Yes I use my BLNR and the GMT function

I work for a 24/7 organization
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:45 PM   #12
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I have a house, business, and family in another country. GMT watch is helpful, to say the least. Ironically, though I do have a fixed wing ticket, the planes I fly barely have the range to make it out of my time zone. So I guess my GMT is useless to me as a pilot.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:58 PM   #13
"TRF" Member

When summer decides to show up, I will take my Submariner in the ocean.
6538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:05 PM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I wore my Navitimer and Explorer II when I was flying as a flight surgeon in the USN. I didn't really "use" them, but they were worn.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:15 PM   #15
ghcpa9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
I used to use my Omega Seamaster for dives regularly. But diving was a lifetime ago. Now that I have the Deepsea I suppose by law I have to go back to diving.

Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller
Omega Seamaster Chrono
ghcpa9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:16 PM   #16
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
i snowboard in my explorer2 (most of the time; currently snowboarding in colorado with a pepsi and a pelagos). i surf in my seadweller. i travel with a GMT (i have three with that function). i’ve been mountaineering and ice climbing with an omega seamaster PO.

i don’t time laps with my daytona, admittedly, but i don’t baby it or any of my watches.

i’m a professional at applying a tapestry of scratches to watches that everyone else considers jewelry. and i know i’m not alone here!

Old 19 February 2020, 11:32 PM   #17
leooooo
"TRF" Member

Of course! I consider myself somewhat of a professional loafer. Gotta use my timepieces to track the amount of time I waste
Old 19 February 2020, 11:37 PM   #18
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinexile View Post
I used my profession (pilot) as a rationalization for getting my Explorer II. The watch is perfect for the job. Its the most readable watch I have ever owned and the quick ability to change zones is welcome after struggling with such a simple task with other watches. But the perfect travel watch is probably an Apple Watch. As others have said, our watches are expensive pieces of jewelry that are delights to wear, look good and feel great on the wrist. There is a heritage that comes from the historic importance of a dependable timepiece. Wearing this watch to work is a joy. But to be honest with myself, if what I really wanted was a timekeeping “tool”, I could not have chosen a more expensive, one-trick-pony than this one. Clearly “tool” is no longer the point. But I too would love to hear from someone who still finds the watch essential. The Migause especially intrigues me. Is there a scientist out there who truly needs that watch and nothing else will do?

Agree, I have a sub date I use for work want/wanted the GMT for the job ( maybe one day ) but I like the reliability of the watch as well as love the look I also enjoy owning a very nice name brand watch I don’t have fancy cars or houses or planes just pretty plan Jane here but I don’t think that wanting a time pice that can be worn everyday take being bumped around and still keep time down to a few seconds a month or more all with out a battery or recharging is just amazing to me. I was at a place where I wanted a nice watch and Rolex fit what I could afford at the time and I absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:40 PM   #19
jpcwon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, Lg Reverso
I travel for a living (field service engineer), so the GMT function on my Coke is super useful. In fact I use it almost daily! It was a big reason that I traded my sub for this. Couldn't be happier!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2020, 11:42 PM   #20
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
I barely know how to swim I don't race, I don't travel much anymore, I don't explore and stay home/work most of the time, I don't work in a lab coat. I think I'm officially disqualified from wearing professional models
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:57 PM   #21
CactusSpine
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
I travel many time zones as a pilot and all our flight plans consist of converting local time to Zulu time. It can get confusing at times when some of us are at +3 Zulu and we are tracking a flight that is starting in -1 Zulu and meeting us in +3 to go to +4. On top of that we can have smart watches in a lot of our work spaces or on our plane. Yes, we could just do mental math but having a mechanical GMT makes it a much easier.
CactusSpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:09 AM   #22
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Yes. I use my GMT for time zone differences a lot, and also a quick date reference. Yes, I have a smartphone but it's still faster to get all the info with a single glance, especially in a meeting where it could be construed as rude to start tapping on your phone. A watch glance isn't the most polite, but it can be made obvious that you have a tight schedule

I have used my Daytona when tracking my car or renting one to track (in Vegas-beat up on someone else's super car!). It worked but I think I need more practice with it. The Daytona is mostly jewelry for me.

I definitely use the sub when boating, swimming, diving or just going to the beach. I also ski and snowboard with it.

Of course, other than the GMT function these watches are essentially interchangeable for what I do, thus the allure of how they look being a big factor.

In terms of what others say, almost no one notices the watches. The most comments that I do get are all about the Batman GMT 2.0, as they are relatively rare. Anyone can find a solid gold watch.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:16 AM   #23
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Yes I use my deep sea for what it was intended
2020 Rolex SD43 Sea-Dweller
2022 Rolex Datejust 41 - Blue Dial, Fluted, Oyster
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:16 AM   #24
S/Z
"TRF" Member

I was wearing my Daytona while watching Ford vs Ferrari ... does that count?
S/Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:18 AM   #25
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Z View Post
I was wearing my Daytona while watching Ford vs Ferrari ... does that count?
Yes!
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:18 AM   #26
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

Professional pilot (long haul). Everything is planned and carried out according to GMT. I have been wearing and using (everyday since 2008) a GMT2 or an Exp2. Perfect for my job. More recently I wear a Tudor GMT. I have had other watches over the years, Breitling Aerospace and Omega X33 but the Rolex/Tudor have been the easiest to use and most reliable. They are purpose designed for the job.

I would also say that many people in this day an age conduct international business and would therefore find the second timezone watches very useful. The current GMT2s are now a little too pricey to be worn in some parts of the World unfortunately so are by default becoming objects of desire rather than just useful tools.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:20 AM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinexile View Post
The Migause especially intrigues me. Is there a scientist out there who truly needs that watch and nothing else will do?
I went into sales and marketing when it became obvious that a noble career in academic research wouldn't pay much. But by legacy academic and professional qualification I am still a scientist. So I bought a Z-Blue because I felt I'd qualified to own one :)

(I used to work on NMR R&D so I was around magnets. Not that I could afford a nice watch at the time).
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:20 AM   #28
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I have a submariner and I like to jacuzzi.
Old 20 February 2020, 01:10 AM   #29
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Just curious as to whether or not anyone uses their professional models for what they were designed for, or if it's just the look of them that appeals to you?

For example, I know most people are into the GMT but does anyone here need to know the time in a different zone? Perhaps if you have a profession where you deal with others abroad?

Personally I love my TT black dial Daytona (haven't posted it up yet as I haven't long joined and it's at the RSC) I'm not a racer but I love the style and look of it and the chrono function can be used for multiple purposes.
I'd love a sub or a SD but I haven't gone diving yet etc etc.

What are your thoughts and uses for your professional models?
Just the look is appealing. It is very difficult and complicated to dive with such an expensive watch to the sea with strong tides, and keeping it away from rocks everywhere.

I am also not a Formula 1 racer or pilot. Even then it is very complicated and confusing to use the GMT hand of GMT II as well as the tachmeter function of the Daytona...

The professional purposes and the java animations on rolex website are just marketing games. If you use these watches for their purpose they will be trashed and look terrible soon. Then first you will pay for RSC for servicing it then to AD for a new one. And, thats the whole purpose. Probably people in US use Rolexes for their purpose as they probably have lots of money, when people in Europe, middle east and asia keep them out of adventure...
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:13 AM   #30
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I use the timing bezel on my Sub on a regular basis for timing random things. It's actually quite handy as the Sub never locks itself and has to be unlocked like my phone does. It has not been diving and I can't imagine it ever will. The Explorer has yet to ascend Everest.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote