The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2020, 01:17 AM   #31
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post
Just the look is appealing. It is very difficult and complicated to dive with such an expensive watch to the sea with strong tides, and keeping it away from rocks everywhere.
With that screen name, you're a funny guy!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:26 AM   #32
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
With that screen name, you're a funny guy!
I was expecting to get a response like that.

But having a submariner and babying it is not like having a toyota land cruiser and only driving it inside the city :) It is a hard to find beautiful watch mate.

You have nice avatar :)
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:29 AM   #33
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

I love my SubC, but heck no, won’t be diving anytime soon. I’m claustrophobic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:01 AM   #34
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I've used my GMT Master BLRO for watching reruns of Magnum PI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLRO26.jpg (163.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 20 February 2020, 02:33 AM   #35
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
yes i wear my sub everywhere, lake, pool, jetsking, and i use the bezel and look to see what the date is. I even wear it with suits and casual wear...cant wait to wear a Tux one day....guys n gals...it looks great in any event at any time...i LOVE looking at my Rolex...you guys are losing out if you just look at it in a plastic bag and gloves at home or in a safe...i cry for you...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:55 AM   #36
AndyWright
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
I have a deepsea, its been in the pool that's about it. I believe for most people its just what appeals to them not necessarily what the watch is intended for.
AndyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:56 AM   #37
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

I use the antimagnetic qualities of my AK everyday. I use the legibility too. I use the timer on my diver a lot, and a bezel timer is quicker to use than the chrono on my g-shock.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:05 AM   #38
smym18
"TRF" Member

My Sub has been in rivers, oceans, seas, pools, hot tubs, but I've never been diving.
smym18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:13 AM   #39
ChipotleBanana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
They’re just Jewellery and have been for a long time.
This statement is so violently arrogant. The minute that you dumb mechanical watches down to nothing more than an aesthetic, you strip over 500 years of horological history away from not only the brand, but the artform.

They can be considered jewelry, but to say that is all they are is arrogant.
ChipotleBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:31 AM   #40
kegan
"TRF" Member

Yep, purchased 20 years ago
Because needed jewelry to match
The cockpit decor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:44 AM   #41
tgyberg
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
If I could erase "Sea" and replace with "Lake" - Dweller, it would absolutely nail my use of the watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snip3.JPG (71.3 KB, 73 views)
tgyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:49 AM   #42
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I use one of my GMTs or SKy-Dweller when we travel, I use my Sub or SD when I dive (don't do much of that lately), and I'll even wear my Daytona when I do a track day or SCCA race (but can't really use it when I'm driving, so it's just because I like it).
Old 20 February 2020, 03:51 AM   #43
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD D-BLUE
I use the GMT function of the EXPII quite often when I travel, mostly international, so I always know what time it is in Atlanta.
Deepsea Sea-Dweller D-BLUE 126660
Uga2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:56 AM   #44
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Legend!
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:57 AM   #45
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
I have a few GMT's. I love this complication and use it frequently. I live in Phoenix AZ where we are blessed with not having to adjust our clocks / watches twice a year... that said in my profession I have always had to work with folks out on east coast, then I have brother whom lives in Switzerland and we talk all the time so it is nice to know at a glance when to call. Also due to my work I used to travel often to East Coast and Europe.

I have a few Divers. I am your average open water diver. My dive depth tops out at 50 ft and begrudgingly at that, I am most comfortable around 35 feet or so, longer dive time and can see most marine life I want to see at this depth. I use a dive computer so really watch is a catch safe.

I have a few Chrono's and use the complicaton when I am wearing them to time workouts or other things here and there.

So used sure, BUT aside from diving, I can get all these features off my phone and for diving the dive computer is a must in my opinion. So all of my watches are obsolete in theory... but I really enjoy wearing them and using the complications.

Making memories with my family, while I enjoy using my timepieces. Using them to bring my Kids into a hobby we can all enjoy and share. It is cool, when my 12 year old son looks at my wrist and can identify the watch and or asks questions about it, my 20 year old son asks to borrow one for a special date or a job interview, or when my 25 year old daughter asks me to resize one of my watches for her to use for a few months.

I also share the hobby with my older brother (whom got me into this crazy hobby) and we share our collections and swap timepieces for months at a time when we see each other (and usually there is an amazing adventure to tie the timepiece exchange).

A timepiece to me, is so much more than the complications...

Currently wearing my Tudor Pelagos with no intention of going diving. Still I am using the time and date functions regularly... lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:58 AM   #46
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

There is one person on this thread who uses his watch for real;

Aquanaut, how deep have you taken your DSSD down?
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 04:02 AM   #47
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
GMTs are the most used in my opinion, followed by explorers and Subs of course.
GMT is so useful not only to pilots or frequent travelers but also to anyone who is in constant contact with family members, friends or partners abroad. I for instance, I use my GMT hand to Los Angeles time where my brother lives. So handy to just look at my watch and know if it's time to call or not.
My friend who's an explorer / adventurer uses an Explorer on all his expeditions along electronic devises like Garmin. he says electronics fail at -40 degrees and nothing keeps ticking but his Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_jrees View Post
Just curious as to whether or not anyone uses their professional models for what they were designed for, or if it's just the look of them that appeals to you?

For example, I know most people are into the GMT but does anyone here need to know the time in a different zone? Perhaps if you have a profession where you deal with others abroad?

Personally I love my TT black dial Daytona (haven't posted it up yet as I haven't long joined and it's at the RSC) I'm not a racer but I love the style and look of it and the chrono function can be used for multiple purposes.
I'd love a sub or a SD but I haven't gone diving yet etc etc.

What are your thoughts and uses for your professional models?
Old 20 February 2020, 04:06 AM   #48
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_jrees View Post
Just curious as to whether or not anyone uses their professional models for what they were designed for, or if it's just the look of them that appeals to you?

For example, I know most people are into the GMT but does anyone here need to know the time in a different zone? Perhaps if you have a profession where you deal with others abroad?

Personally I love my TT black dial Daytona (haven't posted it up yet as I haven't long joined and it's at the RSC) I'm not a racer but I love the style and look of it and the chrono function can be used for multiple purposes.
I'd love a sub or a SD but I haven't gone diving yet etc etc.

What are your thoughts and uses for your professional models?

So, I have a sub (have my wife my 116520) and a speedy pro. I work in healthcare and so do need to time many things precisely and thus use my chrono and bezel all the time, for timing various tests and measuring billing time, etc.

Now, I am in a situation where I can’t use my phone as that requires tapping the screen at minimum and sometimes entering the password, and that means I can’t time precisely and it also means it needs to be on me, and charged. Similarly phone and such cannot be taken into forensic facilities. So my watches are an essential part and tool of my job, not jewelry.

Now, I don’t need a Rolex to do this, but automatic is best because they look better than digital with professional clothes and the buttons are larger for ease of use.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 04:30 AM   #49
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Old 20 February 2020, 04:31 AM   #50
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

I'm loving the variety of comments and different uses here!
Old 20 February 2020, 05:41 AM   #51
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I once used my sub to get this crab out of this photo tank. He was really pissed off and the aquarist forgot to leave me a net. And no, picking him up by the back of the shell didn't work. That is how I got bit the first time. But crabs like shiny things... So I dangled my sub in front of him, he latched on and I got him out of the tank and back into the bucket! Wish I thought to get a picture of that. :D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8937.JPG (38.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9056.JPG (89.3 KB, 70 views)
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:45 AM   #52
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipotleBanana View Post
This statement is so violently arrogant. The minute that you dumb mechanical watches down to nothing more than an aesthetic, you strip over 500 years of horological history away from not only the brand, but the artform.

They can be considered jewelry, but to say that is all they are is arrogant.
thank you. very much more polite and succinct than what i wanted to say this morning.

Old 20 February 2020, 05:47 AM   #53
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post
Just the look is appealing. It is very difficult and complicated to dive with such an expensive watch to the sea with strong tides, and keeping it away from rocks everywhere.

I am also not a Formula 1 racer or pilot. Even then it is very complicated and confusing to use the GMT hand of GMT II as well as the tachmeter function of the Daytona...

The professional purposes and the java animations on rolex website are just marketing games. If you use these watches for their purpose they will be trashed and look terrible soon. Then first you will pay for RSC for servicing it then to AD for a new one. And, thats the whole purpose. Probably people in US use Rolexes for their purpose as they probably have lots of money, when people in Europe, middle east and asia keep them out of adventure...
you could not possibly be more wrong.

but do carry on.
Old 20 February 2020, 06:18 AM   #54
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
you could not possibly be more wrong.

but do carry on.
He keeps one-upping himself. I look forward to his posts at this point. I just hope people who are here to learn don't take his comments seriously.
smym18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 06:22 AM   #55
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
He keeps one-upping himself. I look forward to his posts at this point. I just hope people who are here to learn don't take his comments seriously.
i waffle.

sometimes i’m of the “no way is this not a russian bot,” mentality.

sometimes i genuinely can’t tell.

Old 20 February 2020, 06:23 AM   #56
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
There is one person on this thread who uses his watch for real;

Aquanaut, how deep have you taken your DSSD down?
clearly you don’t understand the rigors of real snowboarding! or ice climbing. or mountaineering. or surfing.

Old 20 February 2020, 06:27 AM   #57
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Yes and no. I’m not a pilot or a diver but I don’t molly cuddle my watches, I don’t keep the stickers on or take them off if I think there’s a risk of them getting scratched. I use them as daily watches which I believe is how they were meant to be used.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 07:01 AM   #58
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
I once used my sub to get this crab out of this photo tank. He was really pissed off and the aquarist forgot to leave me a net. And no, picking him up by the back of the shell didn't work. That is how I got bit the first time. But crabs like shiny things... So I dangled my sub in front of him, he latched on and I got him out of the tank and back into the bucket! Wish I thought to get a picture of that. :D
Smart thinking there bud.
Old 20 February 2020, 07:03 AM   #59
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Pelagos for diving & water sports
Daytona for not being able to tell the time
Exp2 for exploring my concrete jungle
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 07:11 AM   #60
colincb
"TRF" Member