The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 18 September 2009, 05:54 AM   #1
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Deepsea - My Review

Hey all, this is my review which I did for my blog. All photos taken by myself, the taking of which was kindly granted by my AD. Hope you enjoy!

Big. Everything about this watch is big: the size, the depth rating, the price. It's the most extreme diving watch that Rolex have ever offered for sale, the only other watch they've ever made that can outdo it is the Deep Sea Special, which wasn't exactly a daily wearer. It's certainly an impressive watch - but is it as good as the hype would have you believe, and is it a viable watch for the ordinary watch wearer? I'll weigh up the pros and cons and come to my decision, and hopefully it might help yours as well.

Techincal Details

*Model Number: 116660
*904L Stainless Steel
*43mm Case Diameter
*Unidirectional rotating diving bezel, ceramic bezel insert with platinum numerals
*Maxi Dial and Hands, filled with Chromalight luminous material
*Ringlock system for extra strength at depth
*Automatic Helium Escape Valve
*Domed Sapphire crystal
*Titanium Caseback
*Oyster bracelet with Glidelock clasp
*Oversized Triplock crown
*Waterproof to 3900m/12800ft

The Movement

*Cal. 3135
*Self windng chronometer
*28.8k bph
*Quickset date complication
*Parachrom blue hairspring and Paraflex shock absorber system

UK RRP: £5790

The Aesthetics

Rolex have carried on their traditional diver's watch look: black dial, black bezel, easy to read and easy to see at night. Simple yet functional. However, this really does have a premium feel to it, and I, for one, feel that it is a huge improvement in terms of quality over the previous generation Sea Dweller. The bezel has a lovely feel to it, and glides smoothly into place, and has a lovely shine to it. Wisely, Rolex have kept the bracelet brushed, with only the case and bracelet sides being polished. This, for me, really means it stamps out its tool watch credentials straight away - it's not attracting attention to itself by being flashy, it's here to do a job and do it well. I love the honesty of it.

The size is a real "marmite" factor: some love the size of it, others hate it. In a world of Panerais, Breitlings and other oversized watches, 43mm for a case diameter is relatively modest. It's more the height of the watch which is an issue - I personally think it's just too tall for formal wear, there's no way of getting it comfortable under the cuff of a dress shirt. It absolutely dwarfs my Datejust:

However, it has the look of an industrial piece of engineering, it looks rough and ready to handle anything you could possibly throw at it. This is a watch crying out for outdoors activity, and I think that's the best place for it. In a business meeting, it'd look like a fish out of water, like a bodybuilder at a science fair. In it's element, however, it reigns supreme, and I'm sure the size and weight of it will give the wearer full confidence in it's abilities.

Practicality

As already mentioned above, this isn't the most practical of formal watches. Not something I'd personally recommend as an only watch, but if you had this in conjunction with a more suitable watch for work wear, then you have yourself what I think is a brilliant weekend watch. It's waterproof to a depth no human can physically dive to without a submersible, its brushed finish means scratches will be only a minor concern, the ceramic bezel is extremely durable, and the Glidelock clasp makes a particularly heavy and cumbersome watch surprisingly comfortable to wear. In fact, the Glidelock is such an important feature of the Deepsea, it needs a little section all to itself.

The Glidelock, for me, is the best practical innovation Rolex have developed in years. Whilst the Yachtmaster II's movement is a fantastic piece of horology, it's way out of reach for the average watch colector. The Glidelock, on the other hand, is a revolution in clasp adjustment, and won't just be available on the Deepsea, but the Submariner range as well: the new 18Ct and two tone models already have it, and the new steel version is expected to have it when launched too. Whilst ostensibly designed with wetsuits in mind (the diver's extension link remains with the Glidelock providing an extra 1.8cm of adjustment), it is the perfect feature for an ordinary user. Hot day? Let it out a notch or two. Want to play tennis? Tighten it up. The Glidelock removes the need to move pins in the clasp around - whilst you could get a high level of fine adjustment on the previous generation Sea Dweller, it was a fiddly, complicated and time consuming task compared to the Glidelock. To use it, simply undo the clasp, lift a finger under the edge (as pictured) and slide the link as much as you need. Takes all of 5 seconds. If I was the head of Rolex, I'd have that clasp placed on every single watch in the line up - my only criticism of the clasp is that it's only available on divers' models.

Value for Money

You certainly get a lot of watch for your money. Incredible engineering, high quality parts, bragging rights ("Oh, so your watch can go down to 300m? Nice, but look at mine..."), and that little bit of magic that will appeal to the 10 year old inside you. Of course, it's not a watch for everyone: its critics will cite its size and ostentatiousness as flaws, it'll be simply too much for most. But you need to look at this watch from Rolex's point of view, and I think they've been incredibly clever with this watch. Firstly, they needed a watch that could realistically compete in terms of chunkiness with Panerai and Breitling, and no one can argue that they haven't done that successfully. Secondly, they needed to reiterate their reputation as the makers of watches that can survive the harshest of places - the Deepsea is an excellent example of this, and testiment to their overengineering. Thirdly, they needed to underline their reputation as a maker of the highest quality sports watches, something that the (please forgive me) Submariner and Sea Dweller 4000 lacked. I see the Deepsea as a statement for Rolex's future, a reminder of what they do best. Yes, it's a big price increase compared to the old Sea Dweller, but this is in a completely different league. The Sea Dweller was an excellent watch for the 20th century, but the Deepsea is a 21st century watch through and through.

Conclusion

Excellent technical achievement, but not for everyone. Quite possibly the best engineered tool watch of all time, and truly the new benchmark in terms of sports watches.
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 06:18 AM   #2
wulu
"TRF" Member

well said
JLC Master Compressor Diver Chrono
wulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Well done.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 08:14 AM   #4
mrh1797
Banned

Watch: Love em' all!!
WOW!! This post could not come at a more perfect time. I just purchased a new DSSD that is due to arrive to me tomorrow!! Last night after wiring the most money I have ever spent on a watch I wondered if I made a good decision. This post has reaffirmed my decision and I have tingles in anticipation of that big brown truck pulling up to my office tomorrow!! Thank you for the time and information that was put into this post!!
mrh1797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 08:33 AM   #5
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh1797 View Post
WOW!! This post could not come at a more perfect time. I just purchased a new DSSD that is due to arrive to me tomorrow!! Last night after wiring the most money I have ever spent on a watch I wondered if I made a good decision. This post has reaffirmed my decision and I have tingles in anticipation of that big brown truck pulling up to my office tomorrow!! Thank you for the time and information that was put into this post!!
Glad I could help, and I hope you enjoy the watch, it really is something
Old 18 September 2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Abe Froman
"TRF" Member

Watch: This “Yinz” guys
My AD is offering a DeepSea for $9250.00, (US) is this above retail??
Abe Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 09:36 AM   #7
mrh1797
Banned

No that is actual retail unfortunately. But if you are in the market I would look no further than this site! Many reputable sellers on here that will give you a much better deal!!
Old 18 September 2009, 09:54 AM   #8
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Wow, the SDDS made your DJ look tiny!
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 11:48 AM   #9
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
$8275.00 at Authentic Watches, and they have them in stock. Overnight free shippng. I was really pleased with these guys

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 09:19 PM   #10
magnet_UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Thanks for this Chris, its an interesting read Like the blog too

I love the watch and have tried it on three times in the past, its just the price that puts me off a bit
Old 18 September 2009, 10:32 PM   #11
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet_UK View Post
Thanks for this Chris, its an interesting read Like the blog too

I love the watch and have tried it on three times in the past, its just the price that puts me off a bit
Cheers Simon, glad you liked it! It is a pricey watch, but I think in terms of the technology and build quality, it's relatively good value for money, especially when you place it next to a steel Daytona, for example.
Old 18 September 2009, 11:30 PM   #12
Abe Froman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
$8275.00 at Authentic Watches, and they have them in stock. Overnight free shippng. I was really pleased with these guys
Doc, are these pre-owned or new? I will purchase this piece for no tax and 1k in savings. Thank you for the lead on this seller.... Jeff in NM...OUT
Old 18 September 2009, 11:34 PM   #13
mrh1797
Banned

Jeff

Look in the sales forums on this site, you can actually save more there, I see a few advertised for 7,300 area. Do your homework though make sure you are dealing with a reputable person!! My DSSD is scheduled to arrive today via UPS!!! Cant wait.
Old 19 September 2009, 12:50 AM   #14
Abe Froman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh1797 View Post
Jeff

Look in the sales forums on this site, you can actually save more there, I see a few advertised for 7,300 area. Do your homework though make sure you are dealing with a reputable person!! My DSSD is scheduled to arrive today via UPS!!! Cant wait.
Can anyone provide or suggest recommendations on a reputable seller from positive past experiences ??? I don't want to take it in the so to speak...THX
Old 19 September 2009, 02:43 AM   #15
SubmarinerMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Great review Chris! Well it's not great, it's bloody brilliant and is the best DEEPSEA review by far!
Old 19 September 2009, 07:24 AM   #16
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
Quote:
Doc, are these pre-owned or new? I will purchase this piece for no tax and 1k in savings. Thank you for the lead on this seller.... Jeff in NM...OUT
Sorry I was AFK all day. They are brand new and you will get the warranty card in your name. If you call, ask for Todd at x127 (I just talked to him Thursday so I remembered the extension). Also, the big sellers on this forum are very reasonably priced and knowledgeable for sure, but they are gray market AFAIK. That's not a really big deal, mind, especially if they save you beaucoup bucks, but I'm wondering how much they can do on such a new item.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 07:53 AM   #17
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubmarinerMan View Post
Great review Chris! Well it's not great, it's bloody brilliant and is the best DEEPSEA review by far!
High praise indeed! Thanks for reading Matt
Old 20 September 2009, 04:14 AM   #18
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
That is one of the best reviews I've ever read. Excellent. Jocke will be jealous!

I plan to get a DS in a couple of years. After having seen & worn Marke's a few times I found it very easy to wear, despite it's thickness.

Thanks for sharing.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2009, 06:09 AM   #19
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Great review...and very true. I'm going on almost a year of DS ownership and the watch has been on my wrist every day...I live w/ this watch on my wrist and it only comes off when I workout or shower (sometimes). No doubt it's not for everyone...but for people that prefer watches bigger than 40mm yet not looking to go 46mm+ I can think of no better watch.

The DS has ruined me for other watches (and that's a good thing). I've owned too many watches in the past than I care to remember. Rolex, Omega, Brietling, Bell&Ross, Fortis, ect...I've had them all and still own a few. But the DS has put an end to my constant search for The Watch...and I couldn't be happier.

Heck, even w/ the right shirt you can pull off a suit w/ this watch. I hardly wear a suit so this really isn't an issue w/ me, but the few times I do I just select the shirts I own w/ wider cuffs and the watch goes away perfectly. I'm not into flaunting my watch whether I'm wearing shorts, jeans or a suit...so the fact that I can conceal the watch w/ the proper shirt/suit combo only makes me love the watch more. Any time the watch is criticized for not being a suitable formal watch I have to chuckle because anyone that buys this watch thinking it is the ideal formal watch obviously has to get their head examined. You don't buy a sports watch IMO to be the end all when it comes to formal attire...especially not a sport watch that makes no bones about being anything but what it is - the king of the diving sport watches.

Thanks again for a great review.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2009, 06:11 AM   #20
alby.bda
"TRF" Member

Watch: patek 5712-1A
Really a good review thank good i have a really big wrist the regular day just look to small on me but now i have a rolex that is all most as big as my panerai thank you rolex (finally )
alby.bda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2009, 07:12 AM   #21
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
No, but.... My AD is offering it at $7400.00 + tax.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2009, 09:06 AM   #22
Abe Froman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
No, but.... My AD is offering it at $7400.00 + tax.
WOW... What a great buy..
Old 21 September 2009, 06:46 AM   #23
j1crimmins
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, IWC
Good info

I do agree it's meant for the outdoors and not the office.
j1crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 01:40 PM   #24
senorpdog
"TRF" Member

Very nice review
senorpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:52 AM   #25
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

My sincere thanks for all of your kind words - this makes my enjoyment of reviewing watches all the more worthwhile.

Old 23 September 2009, 02:31 AM   #26
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Nice review.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:12 PM   #27
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Great review, GMT Master, thanks for posting. I saw one of those today at a local AD, and it is indeed a monster. Not a watch for this small-wristed fellow, but a technical marvel nonetheless.

For me a Sub and GMT IIc work just fine.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 02:46 PM   #28
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Great review, GMT Master, thanks for posting. I saw one of those today at a local AD, and it is indeed a monster. Not a watch for this small-wristed fellow, but a technical marvel nonetheless.

For me a Sub and GMT IIc work just fine.
While I love my DS...there's a part of me that kind of wishes I had a smaller wrist/arm. The DS on my arm looks identical proportional-wise to how a Sub/GMT looks on a lot of my friends w/ smaller arms.

It would be cool to sport a Sub and not have it look like a mid-sized/ladies watch...yet somehow that's always how it comes across on me. When my wife first saw me in my first Rolex purchase years ago (a SD4000) her instant remark was, "It looks too small on your wrist."

Funny...but guys with smaller wrists always seem to be wishing for larger wrists so they can pull off wearing larger watches yet I've found the same thing when dealing w/ a larger wrist. I can't tell you how many watches I've seen pictures of that look amazing on people's wrists...yet sure enough once it goes on my arm it just looks too small. I guess the grass will always be greener!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2009, 05:27 AM   #29
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
While I love my DS...there's a part of me that kind of wishes I had a smaller wrist/arm. The DS on my arm looks identical proportional-wise to how a Sub/GMT looks on a lot of my friends w/ smaller arms.

It would be cool to sport a Sub and not have it look like a mid-sized/ladies watch...yet somehow that's always how it comes across on me. When my wife first saw me in my first Rolex purchase years ago (a SD4000) her instant remark was, "It looks too small on your wrist."

Funny...but guys with smaller wrists always seem to be wishing for larger wrists so they can pull off wearing larger watches yet I've found the same thing when dealing w/ a larger wrist. I can't tell you how many watches I've seen pictures of that look amazing on people's wrists...yet sure enough once it goes on my arm it just looks too small. I guess the grass will always be greener!
Lol! Interesting perspective. I'm happy that the current size Rolexes look okay on my slender wrists. If they decide to go big across the board, I'll probably find myself sticking to the older styles.

FWIW, JJ has pretty big wrists and I don't think his Sub looks disproportionatley small. It's still a substantial watch, so maybe you can pull it off after all.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2009, 09:02 AM   #30
SDDS
"TRF" Member

great review.. but just to consider that the deepsea has KIF shock absorber not Paraflex because as far as i know the Paraflex is only available on the DD2 with the 3156 movement...just a thought
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote