The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 19 December 2009, 03:27 PM   #1
stephenj5
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner no longer ticks

I received my Rolex as a gift a few years ago. For awhile it has little things that it would do that I didnt think a Rolex should do. Actually for awhile I thought it was fake, but it isnt.

However, recently my watch has stopped ticking. I dont wear it often, so every time I put it on I have to let it wind itself up. But the last time I wore it, it would tick. Nothing seems to be loose, hands are fine, except the second hand no longer moves.

Now im sure its in desperate need of a service. But im not sure if this is something that can be fixed alone, without a service or if im just going to have to do it. They are pricey and being a college student, something I cant really pay for atm lol. Just wondering what might be wrong with it and what needs to be done to fix it. And aside from the service, what can I do?

Thank you for any advice and help.
stephenj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Have you wound it up............

There are a lot of things that could cause it to stop, but you should never let it "wind itself up". If it has stopped, you should give it at least 20 winds, and even a full wind of 40 would be better..
Old 19 December 2009, 04:30 PM   #3
lakeros
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Have you wound it up............

There are a lot of things that could cause it to stop, but you should never let it "wind itself up". If it has stopped, you should give it at least 20 winds, and even a full wind of 40 would be better..
I totally agree!

Sea Dweller M
SS Sub Date - gone but not forgotten
Member NYLON NATION!
lakeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2009, 06:04 PM   #4
stephenj5
"TRF" Member

Sorry, this information might get posted twice, tried the quick respond, but that has to be approved, didnt realize that lol.

But I have wound it. I am still learning a lot about these watches, so as far as I can tell, I am doing it correctly, but I dont think it feels right, its always felt like this since ive gotten it. Ill wind it, and it feels weird, I wouldnt say crunchy, but its like a grinding almost, just not as smooth as I think it would be. I havent had opportunity of playing with a new rolex, or one that has been taken care of. So all I have to experience is this watch, and even I dont think it feels right.

One other note to add, is the day before it stopped ticking, I did have it on and was playing with my dog, throwing my hands around a bit more then I probably should have with the watch on, so maybe I knocked something out of place.

But thank you for the quick response. and sorry if this becomes a double post lol.
Old 20 December 2009, 03:25 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Well, if you have wound it properly and it still doesn't go, it needs to be looked at..

It could be a broken mainspring, but your description doesn't seem like that's it.. It could also be that a simple cleaning will do the trick as you haven't mentioned how old it is..

Subs are pretty tough.. It should take more than throwing your hand around a bit to break something that wasn't already suspect..
Old 20 December 2009, 06:15 AM   #6
stephenj5
"TRF" Member

Personally, I have had the watch for almost 4 years now, and before that, I couldnt tell you if it came to me new, or used. So the actual age of the watch is unknown to me. I received it in a green box from a jeweler, no documentation or anything. So I believe that it has had a previous owner. But with occasional usage, im sure it could use a cleaning. Or at least re lubricated.
Old 20 December 2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenj5 View Post
Sorry, this information might get posted twice, tried the quick respond, but that has to be approved, didnt realize that lol.

But I have wound it. I am still learning a lot about these watches, so as far as I can tell, I am doing it correctly, but I dont think it feels right, its always felt like this since ive gotten it. Ill wind it, and it feels weird, I wouldnt say crunchy, but its like a grinding almost, just not as smooth as I think it would be. I havent had opportunity of playing with a new rolex, or one that has been taken care of. So all I have to experience is this watch, and even I dont think it feels right.

One other note to add, is the day before it stopped ticking, I did have it on and was playing with my dog, throwing my hands around a bit more then I probably should have with the watch on, so maybe I knocked something out of place.

But thank you for the quick response. and sorry if this becomes a double post lol.

Could you post some pictures of the watch, you have sparked some curiosity as I own a Sub as well, and nothing you have said happens to mine. Post some good pictures of the watch if you could.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

I think it most likely would be back to full health with a simple service/lube.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2009, 02:27 AM   #9
ayres
"TRF" Member

Watch: whatever runs
yep, if you post a pic and/or repeat the letter at the beginning of the serial (found between the lugs - meaning you have to remove the bracelet), we could maybe advise you better. also, how was the accuracy of the watch in the four years you've owned it? meaning, did you ever notice that it might have been a few minutes off after a few days of wearing it?

so the watch had no previous documentation when you purchased it? it could be possible that the watch was plagued with problems when you purchased it.

also, you mentioned that it did little things you thought were strange. like what? did it make sounds other than the ticking sound? it is true that sometimes one is unaware of a problem until it culminates in a bigger problem.
ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2009, 05:20 AM   #10
stephenj5
"TRF" Member

Ill gladly put some pictures up, edit: found a video to remove the band

And yes, when I received the watch, had no documentation once so ever, but it was a gift, so the possibility that I just never received it when i got it is very good. And that they might still have it. But coming in a small green box with the jewelers logo on it, im not expecting much.

As far as weird little things I thought were strange, everytime I went to change the date, engaging it was extremely tricky, I could pull the crown out (sorry, actually name is eluding me atm.) and change the time no problem, but getting it into the first posistion for the date is extremely tricky and requires me to go back and forth a few times to get it. I would think it would be easier and more noticable when it engaged, but ive never tried it on another watch. And for the cog itself, for the longest time I was never able to screw it back in, it was always out leaving the threads and seal exposed. I thought that the threads had been stripped so I left it. But eventually I was able to screw it in. It is a tight fit, and requires a bit of force to screw it all the way in, has the same crunchy feel as when I wind it up. But those were the two major things I noticed.

As far as time goes. I think it was fairly accurate, but I did occasionally notice it being off at times. Its been a while since this issue arose, so trying to remember if it got a little faster or slower.

But ill work on getting the pictures. and thanks all for the help :) much appreciated.
Old 21 December 2009, 06:15 AM   #11
stephenj5
"TRF" Member

Ok, So I took some pictures, sorry for the blueish light and the finger prints on some of the pictures lol.

I did remove the band, to find no serial number... It has the little crown itched in the glass at the south position, has the little swiss in there, has Rolex's signature second hand sweep, but no serial. So all i can guess is that this isnt an original body. Or that it is a really good fake lol.

Images are a bit big, and if you need better lighting, ill gladly retake the photos, just took these real quick.

Old 21 December 2009, 06:18 AM   #12
Nicko
Banned

That's cuz it's a 4000 foot FAKE!
Old 21 December 2009, 06:19 AM   #13
Nicko
Banned

And a bad one at that!
Old 21 December 2009, 06:19 AM   #14
stephenj5
"TRF" Member

well that explains a lot haha. always had that feeling, but just went with it. Some gift eh lol
Old 21 December 2009, 06:22 AM   #15
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Actually for awhile I thought it was fake, but it isnt.
And who the hell told you it wasn't? They need to be flogged....
Old 21 December 2009, 06:28 AM   #16
stephenj5
"TRF" Member

Yeah its been so long, and even the research I did wasnt that good. Never payed that much attention to the 4000. I feel quite embarrassed lol, taking up your guys time for a fake, should have really looked into it a lot more long ago. At least I know now.
Old 21 December 2009, 06:32 AM   #17
Nicko
Banned

Well, if someone gave me a Sub as a gift I would surely remember who gave it to me So, my advice to you is toss that POS in the can and go look for a real one if you want one badly enough. And mail back the pieces to your forgotten gifter. Best of luck to you.
Old 21 December 2009, 06:34 AM   #18
stephenj5
"TRF" Member

Well I remember who have it to me, was a gift from my aunt, but im not sure if she knew it was real or not. But hopefully ill be a proud owner of a real one one of these days.

But thank you all for sticking with me through this lol.
Old 21 December 2009, 06:35 AM   #19
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenj5 View Post
Well I remember who have it to me, was a gift from my aunt, but im not sure if she knew it was real or not. But hopefully ill be a proud owner of a real one one of these days.

But thank you all for sticking with me through this lol.
Well, let it rest then....I'm sure her intentions were in the right place. Good luck and save for the real think if finances permit.
Old 21 December 2009, 07:07 AM   #20
ayres
"TRF" Member

Watch: whatever runs
yep, a lot of red flags on that one. i didn't even notice the feet. rather, i noticed the dial's minutes markers (correct term?), the a-serial's 'swiss' with the contradictory no lug-holes case. but sure, there's so many more flags (case shape, bracelet, clasp, bezel, crown guards, etc). the slightest bit of research would have shown you that it was incorrect.

the good news is that the movement will be inexpensive to fix.
ayres is offline   Reply With Quote