The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 August 2021, 10:31 PM   #1
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I bought my first AP, what next?

Hi everyone,

I bought my first AP the other day, 15450 blue dial. It’s beautiful and I’ve got the AP bug! Just wondering (obtainability aside), what AP would you recommend for my second purchase?

I have relatively small wrists so it would have to be <43mm, but ideally <40mm.

I like the jumbo and open work (as everyone does I know) and possibly the 38mm chrono white/blue. but just wondering if there is anything else you believe I should consider.

Thanks!

Oh and wrist shot…

Old 31 August 2021, 10:44 PM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
For smaller wrist, there is not much selection, 26315ST or OR would be a good choice.

15202 is the best if you can get it from the boutique, it’s way overprice on secondary market.

Congrats on your new gorgeous timepiece!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 10:50 PM   #3
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Why not chill and enjoy your new Royal Oak for a while? Or your new Omega? Or your new Seiko, etc?

Or don’t. Keep buying what you think others want you to buy. I guess that can be fun, if you’ve got the disposable income.

But seriously, enjoy what you have and buy what YOU want.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 10:59 PM   #4
Reign
"TRF" Member

Maybe the 34mm in black ceramic ?

Or see if AP release something in ceramic between 34 and 41

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 10:59 PM   #5
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Congrats on the purchase! I really want to hear what folks have to say about this question, because I am in the same boat.

With my small wrists, I cannot comfortably go above 38mm with AP, so that leaves my options as 1) collect the 15450 in a different dial colors 2) go for the 38mm chrono, either in the white.blue or grey 3) cross my fingers that AP will join the trend of making smaller pieces and hope for a new release or two in the 36-38mm range in the coming years.

I am actively pondering all three options:

For number one: I love the 15450 and there are enough differences between the dial colors that I am would consider getting more than one, especially if I were to add a white/silver dial to one of the darker options.

For number two: This option is killing me, because going for the chrono makes so much sense, and it’s a gorgeous piece. That said, (so far) I can’t get past paying that much money for a closed case back without an in-house movement. I might end up going this route, but so far the closed back/lack of in-house movement is a dealbreaker.

Option three: This is the approach I have now, wait and see what comes. The downside here is that I want to buy more watches and add them to my collection. To scratch that itch, I’m thinking about an H. Moser and Cie Streamliner (green dial). I think it’s one heck of a watch that is redefining the steel sports watch, just as the Royal Oak did in the 1970s. But since I want an AP, there’s no replacement for that except an AP!

Anyway, other thoughts out there? Again, really appreciate this question on the board!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 11:09 PM   #6
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Maybe the 34mm in black ceramic ?

Or see if AP release something in ceramic between 34 and 41

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now I am actively researching the 34mm black ceramic! Hadn’t thought about going below 37mm, but I guess that is a viable option?
Old 31 August 2021, 11:24 PM   #7
watchloversg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
Now I am actively researching the 34mm black ceramic! Hadn’t thought about going below 37mm, but I guess that is a viable option?
Super small, try it on first.

Actively marketed as a ladies watch in the brochure

And unless you’re VVIP, don’t expect to get the call at all as it resells for 2x retail
watchloversg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 02:51 AM   #8
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
38roc sounds pretty good
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 05:06 AM   #9
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by covewatch View Post
38roc sounds pretty good
+1
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 06:19 AM   #10
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331ST/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post

For number two: This option is killing me, because going for the chrono makes so much sense, and it’s a gorgeous piece. That said, (so far) I can’t get past paying that much money for a closed case back without an in-house movement. I might end up going this route, but so far the closed back/lack of in-house movement is a dealbreaker.

Anyway, other thoughts out there? Again, really appreciate this question on the board!
This was a huge deal breaker for me as well when deciding to purchase a 26331ST but I got over it very quickly. F. piguet movement is fantastic and a fine piece of horological history which should have a long life of serviceable parts.

The open case back was harder to come to grips with but ultimately having AP level of finishing and engraving on case back is beautiful in its own way. I’m almost always wearing this piece so looking at caseback isnt a problem.

Just my two cents dont let it totally deter you. Still a phenomenal piece.
AG_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 06:21 AM   #11
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations. What a great feeling you must have with your first. I know I was and still am smitten with mine and the ones that have followed since.

I have a large wrist so I can't really give you true guidance. But as others have said, the 38 mm chrono. Depending on your lifestyle, I don't think you can go wrong with one of the Divers; even if you are on the smaller wrist size.

Good luck on your quest, congratulations again and when to the AP club.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 12:32 PM   #12
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG_Watches View Post
This was a huge deal breaker for me as well when deciding to purchase a 26331ST but I got over it very quickly. F. piguet movement is fantastic and a fine piece of horological history which should have a long life of serviceable parts.

The open case back was harder to come to grips with but ultimately having AP level of finishing and engraving on case back is beautiful in its own way. I’m almost always wearing this piece so looking at caseback isnt a problem.

Just my two cents dont let it totally deter you. Still a phenomenal piece.
Thanks for the two cents, this makes sense. I’m torn on this one, but really love the look of the 38mm dials (both the grey and the blue/white) and do respect/appreciate the Piguet movement and its history. The fact that you got and love it is reassuring!
Old 1 September 2021, 11:54 PM   #13
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
38roc sounds pretty good
+3. The chronographs are beautiful.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 12:28 AM   #14
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

Don't forget an Offshore model for the pool and boat days. Slippery slope.
Old 4 September 2021, 07:58 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy996 View Post
Don't forget an Offshore model for the pool and boat days. Slippery slope.
Yup I'd go for a ROO now, maybe the old school Panda or Safari.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 12:31 PM   #16
raclaims
"TRF" Member

ROO is huge so that won’t work

I agree abt the case back and in house movement but I have one and it’s a nice piece

Maybe wait for the new ROC which will have the in house and open case back
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote