The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 25 September 2020, 05:41 PM   #1
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Thoughts on Speedmaster 57 and FOIS.

Hello

Recently I've been taking an interest in early Speedmasters. This resulted in my looking at the more recent Speedmaster 57 and FOIS models.

I would be interested in hearing people's views on these watches. Do they wear small, what are the bracelets like etc? I'm sure that some people in here will have these models and I'm curious about their experiences with these watches.

Also, can someone either explain how Omega construct their model numbers, or point me in the direction of a thread which explains the different numbers please? For example, 311.30.42.30.01.005. I believe the 42 is the case diameter, but what do the other numbers relate to?

Thanks very much.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:49 PM   #2
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Interesting you should post this.

A couple of years back a friend started chatting to me about watches. After years of not really being a watch person he had decided he wanted a decent one and was thinking about a Rolex, preferably a chronograph.

We had a lengthy chat and I explained that Rolex make a certain type of watch very well, but leaving aside the availability issues, I felt there were better options for him than the Daytona. After initially pointing him towards Omega and Zenith he ended up with a Speedmaster, and the bug has bitten him pretty hard.

That was three years ago and he now also owns a FOIS, a Speedmaster Mk II, and now a Speedmaster 57 as well!

The FOIS is a superbly built watch, perfect size I reckon, and perfect perhaps, as an everyday chronograph. The only downside for me is the legibility. Polished silver hands look great in a shop, but in the real world they reflect the colours around them, and under some conditions become almost invisible. This is the only reason I haven’t bought one. As is so often the case when a product has been modified, the modifications were needed!

The Speedmaster 57 has pretty much blown me away with it’s quality. It’s a stunning thing to look at, and quite different in real life from the pictures you see. The quality of every part is faultless, the functionality is first class, and there’s no doubt that you are handling perhaps one of the ultimate “tool watches”.

Also, despite Omega not limiting production in the way Rolex are at present, the 57 remains a relatively uncommon piece “in the wild”. Partly due to the number of variations that Omega offer, but perhaps partly due to the fact that it’s mostly the genuinely discerning that tend to seek them out.

I’m not saying that Rolex buyers are undiscerning (I own several myself) but for every Rolex buyer who is attracted to a Rolex for it’s quality, style and function, there’s probably another who just wants “something flashy” and would probably happy with a Timex, so long as it said “Rolex” on it. Omega don’t seem to suffer from that so much.

Incidentally, my friends 57 is the blue one. The online pictures, even from Omega, do not do it justice! I’ll take a pic of the actual watch next time we meet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B4951C5A-5928-4C77-A4D8-C4E6C5ACEC7B.jpeg (186.8 KB, 389 views)
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:06 PM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I’ve owned the FOIS three times now, both CK2998’s and the 60th trilogy speedy.

Size wise they are terrific. The biggest issue is lack of bracelet in the main. The bracelet on the trilogy had 2 main issues. It didn’t taper, and the clasp was quite large and the micro adjust fairly small.

I had the speedy racing bracelet on my others, and while it was a perfect fit it was quite modern looking and heavy.

If I was doing again now, I’d buy an uncle seiko or forstner flat link. Very light, give the proper vintage feel and best of all don’t have end links which protrude over the end of the lugs.

In fact, I am considering a FOIS and replacing the hands with a standard speedy pro set with a flat link for an Ed-white lookalike.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:11 PM   #4
ratty
"TRF" Member

Hi Dave

Thanks for this.

I was actually thinking about the Speedmaster from the 57 collection. I may have described it incorrectly in my original post. The one I'm thinking about has the three sub dials and a model number of 311.10.39.30.01.001 which I think is a limited edition. I'm curious about what people think of the clasp and bracelet as well as the size.

It's interesting what you say about how easy / difficult it is to read the FOIS, I'd never thought about this before.

Thanks again
Old 25 September 2020, 10:20 PM   #5
ratty
"TRF" Member

Hi Steve

Thanks for this.

It sounds like the 39mm size is no problems with these watches. Interesting comments about the bracelet and clasp on the trilogy watches. The clasp does look a bit 'big and clunky' in some pictures I've seen, this is one of the reasons I've asked these questions.

I've not thought about the earlier designs of the Speedmaster until recently but I quite like the look of the straighter lugs, older style bracelet, SS bezel and slightly smaller size.
Old 25 September 2020, 10:32 PM   #6
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
The biggest issue is lack of bracelet in the main. The bracelet on the trilogy had 2 main issues. It didn’t taper, and the clasp was quite large and the micro adjust fairly small.
I can't comment on the bracelet with these models, but on the standard Moon watch, the bracelet is the main gripe with everyone. Lack of adjustment, off balance, too heavy etc. Omega screwed the pooch on this one. Crying ass shame.

The Uncle Seiko bracelets are a serious improvement.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:22 PM   #7
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Hi Dave

Thanks for this.

I was actually thinking about the Speedmaster from the 57 collection. I may have described it incorrectly in my original post. The one I'm thinking about has the three sub dials and a model number of 311.10.39.30.01.001 which I think is a limited edition. I'm curious about what people think of the clasp and bracelet as well as the size.

It's interesting what you say about how easy / difficult it is to read the FOIS, I'd never thought about this before.

Thanks again
Ah yes, the one from the “trilogy”. Yes, it is limited.

I’ve seen one, but haven’t handled it, and don’t own one, so I’ll decline to comment too far.

I don’t personally like the aged lume look. For me it’s all about functionality, and if I had an old watch with lume that brown I’d be sending it back for a service.

I appreciate there is a segment of the market that like the look, same way there are people who like to buy jeans with the arse out of ‘em, but I’m not one of them.

There are some really nice retro designs around right now, that are potentially really usable, but get let down by this brown lume or worse still (Tudor take note) gold markings on the dial!

I think that a lot of makers (in fact most of ‘em) don’t really understand why their older watches are so popular, and they’re releasing these things with aged lume rather than concentrating on the sensible proportions and legible dials that made their original products so desirable!

Having sad that, I think Omega have done this “reissue” better than most other manufacturers. If you’re into Speedmasters and want the “original” look, you’ve got it. Whether I’d go for one, bearing in mind that the regular 57 is basically a retro design anyway, I don’t know.
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:26 PM   #8
ratty
"TRF" Member

I've never really understood the problem with the Speedmaster's bracelet, I've got my Apollo / Soyuz version on at the moment and I don't have a problem with it at all. It would certainly be good if the clasp had more / easier adjustment, but otherwise I'm OK with it.

Mine does have the older 'pin' version of the bracelet as opposed to the current 'screw' version, but is there any real difference? Is the current version bigger and heavier than my version?
Old 26 September 2020, 02:50 AM   #9
Mr Biggles
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Reverso 1948
Quote:
I’ve owned the FOIS three times now, both CK2998’s and the 60th trilogy speedy.

Size wise they are terrific. The biggest issue is lack of bracelet in the main. The bracelet on the trilogy had 2 main issues. It didn’t taper, and the clasp was quite large and the micro adjust fairly small.

I had the speedy racing bracelet on my others, and while it was a perfect fit it was quite modern looking and heavy.

If I was doing again now, I’d buy an uncle seiko or forstner flat link. Very light, give the proper vintage feel and best of all don’t have end links which protrude over the end of the lugs.

In fact, I am considering a FOIS and replacing the hands with a standard speedy pro set with a flat link for an Ed-white lookalike.
Was also wondering about this. Is it possible to change the 60th Speedy bracelet with the current Speedmaster tapering bracelet (like the Ed White one, both have 19mm lug spacing if I recall)

I assume these bracelets can be ordered seperately, just wondering if anybody tried this on a 60th speedy. Or are the springbars located at different points?
Mr Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 03:15 AM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Biggles View Post
Was also wondering about this. Is it possible to change the 60th Speedy bracelet with the current Speedmaster tapering bracelet (like the Ed White one, both have 19mm lug spacing if I recall)

I assume these bracelets can be ordered seperately, just wondering if anybody tried this on a 60th speedy. Or are the springbars located at different points?

I think it will be possible once it’s available to buy. However here are a couple of pics of a forstner flat link on it. Looks pretty good imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2020, 10:22 PM   #11
Mr Biggles
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Reverso 1948
Quote:
I think it will be possible once it’s available to buy. However here are a couple of pics of a forstner flat link on it. Looks pretty good imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^ Looks good indeed.
Since you have both the FOIS and 60th, does the 60th actually wear smaller?
Didn't have the chance to compare both, but I heard due to the caseback the fit on the wrist is difference despite minimal difference in diameter dial
Mr Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:56 PM   #12
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Biggles View Post
^ Looks good indeed.
Since you have both the FOIS and 60th, does the 60th actually wear smaller?
Didn't have the chance to compare both, but I heard due to the caseback the fit on the wrist is difference despite minimal difference in diameter dial
Despite the slightly smaller diameter, I found the 60th to wear bigger. That’s largely because the lug to lug is slightly longer on the 60th (a feature of all three trilogy models is the long lugs).
Old 5 October 2020, 03:15 AM   #13
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I've never really understood the problem with the Speedmaster's bracelet, I've got my Apollo / Soyuz version on at the moment and I don't have a problem with it at all. It would certainly be good if the clasp had more / easier adjustment, but otherwise I'm OK with it.

Mine does have the older 'pin' version of the bracelet as opposed to the current 'screw' version, but is there any real difference? Is the current version bigger and heavier than my version?
After I installed the micro adjustment clasp on my speedy pro bracelet, it felt just right. It's a great bracelet if you can get the right fit.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:26 AM   #14
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I love the '57 9300. Not a huge fan of the 3 sub dial trilogy. I personally think 41mm is too small for the 3 dials. Never could get the bracelet perfect though. The 44 Racing fixed my issues!
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 08:15 AM   #15
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandevelde View Post
I love the '57 9300. Not a huge fan of the 3 sub dial trilogy. I personally think 41mm is too small for the 3 dials. Never could get the bracelet perfect though. The 44 Racing fixed my issues!
Are you saying you put the bracelet from the 44 Racing on the ‘57 9300?
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote