The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 June 2020, 04:48 PM   #1
mac_135
"TRF" Member

No Date Sub Ruins Everything...

I was able to pick up an 114060 about 3 years ago before the sports models went crazy. Since then, I have purchased the following watches:

Omega Speedmaster Professional (sold the first one, purchased a second one)
Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 White Dial (sold)
Tudor Black Bay (Burgundy Bezel, Rose Dial) (sold)
Multiple Seiko "beaters" (skx + others) (all sold)
Omega Seamaster blue dial previous generation "Bond" watch (sold)

And finally, my latest purchase, the Explorer (214270) about 10 days ago.

It seems I always end up with no interest in anything other than my No Date Sub. All of these watches have been great, but I can't help but feel for the price and wrist presence, nothing comes close to the Submariner.

I am well aware many members here have more disposable income than the average guy (and myself), but for some reason I have developed a mindset of either wearing my best watch, or something I don't care about to an extent. I don't need a "collection" as I have realized I can only wear one at a time, and my life circumstances don't change enough to justify a box full of watches.

My latest consideration is to keep my Sub, add a DJ41 for a dressy piece (rhodium, smooth bezel jubilee) and some type of beater/cheap piece for certain situations, maybe a seiko diver?).

Anyone experience something like this? My current collection is the Sub, Explorer and Speedmaster, but I can't help but feel no attachment to anything other than my Sub. Am I crazy to consider selling the Explorer and Speedy? Funds aren't necessarily tight right now, but I just don't get the "wow" factor with the Explorer and Speedy. I just don't get the enjoyment out of these watches the same way I do with the Sub, and it makes me think, why bother keeping them if I am not attached?
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

I know what you mean. The iconic and timeless design of the Submariner. In many ways it’s the perfect quintessential watch.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

variety. variety. variety

when i travel, i wear the polar explorer (discrete, less attention from pickpocket plus GMT function)

when i wanna wear smart casual/semi formal, i wear the polished centre links gmt master (brushed links are sportier, less flashy)

when i wanna a daily casual wear with nato, i pick my sea dweller (nice lug proportions with nato and a iconic rolex look)

when i wanna dress up, no sports model for the day with a nice leather strap, i pick my DJ (leather strap looks out of proportion and incompatible on a six digit diver with thick lugs and being a diver itself)

besides,

they are a strong inflation hedge (investments) for those who worry about the trillions printed by central banks on a monthly basis

this debt monetization aint going to stop

and the whole world knows it...

because US is broke as F. so buy buy buy ! :)
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 04:57 PM   #4
Ihatecheese
Banned

Yes very much so. I feel it happens when collecting a lot of different items which don't offer any real functional difference. Especially if we didn't have the opportunity to buy before.

See audiophiles, bike guys, photographers etc. We often invent situations they help sell to ourselves the reasoning. (my backup headphones, wet weather bike, travel camera)

Don't worry. You will change your mind again in 6 months. Or not.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 05:01 PM   #5
t60
"TRF" Member

I have a sub date and there's one thing about it I will never get from it, and that's variety. I love the watch, but for those days I want something different, well, I can't wear it! I have a 36 DJ for those days, and when I am feeling really "scrappy" I put on my Seikos (the ones that started off this hobby for me).

Don't feel bad. If you no longer like any of your watches, flip them. Take more time to research your next one and you'll appreciate it more. FWIW sometimes it's more fun to hunt for the next watch than actually wear it.
t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 05:26 PM   #6
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
OP, thank you for your authentic description, I'm an average guy like you. In fact, I've gone with a long series of very similar DJs..
My advice would be: keep your 114060, sell the others, try on a 5-digit or 6-digit Sub date and go for a second Sub. Date, Kermit, Bluesy or even a 5-digit Sub (only time) ... and a Seiko beater for dangerous travels or tougher manual works. I believe this would be your best solution.
Old 30 June 2020, 05:34 PM   #7
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

OP wait till the new 62mas comes out. Great proportions and you get a seiko diver as a beater. They would make a nice pair that you can wear anytime at any occasion. You don't need a dress watch for formal occasions
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 06:12 PM   #8
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Yes, I’ve experienced exactly that. In fact my collection was similar to yours (Explorer, Speedmaster, Seikos), plus a few more (JLC, IWC, AP, etc) but in the end I found that all I needed was my 114060 for everyday wear, an AquaTerra for more refined wear, and a Breitling Avenger for a big badass tough beater.

I sold everything else and now I wear the Sub about 90% of the time.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 06:48 PM   #9
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
OP... Could it be that it was your first Rolex and you have a soft spot? First cut is the deepest!

But I am with you... I'm a one watch guy, have bought and sold many watches, at the moment I'm happy with my Air-King to the point I'm considering letting my OP39 go.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 07:29 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I like variety and I like wearing variety. I also have a favourite. It's the one I always want to wear. In my case it's a SS black Sky Dweller. It's all the watch I need. It's very hard not to put on every time. But I wouldn't dream of selling the others. They all mean something. And when I overcome the compulsion to put the Sky Dweller back on I always enjoy wearing them.

Each to our own.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 07:42 PM   #11
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatecheese View Post

See audiophiles, bike guys, photographers etc. We often invent situations they help sell to ourselves the reasoning. (my backup headphones, wet weather bike, travel camera)

Don't worry. You will change your mind again in 6 months. Or not.

Lol, I can relate.

I have a full aero carbon road bike. My back up road bike is now on my smart trainer so I technically don’t have a back up any more. Therefore I “need” a newer better road bike so that my existing one can become my back up one.

I have a very expensive overkill commuter bike which I use to cruise with the kids as when I do actually commute I prefer to take my road bike

I am pretty sure that I now need a dedicated grave bike or possibly a mountain bike, perhaps both.

Oh yeah, I have 4 awesome Rolexes. But I’m thinking I need at least 2 more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 09:42 PM   #12
Xenon
Banned

If the No Date Sub ruins everything then why consider buying a DJ41 and why not sell all of your other watches?

Maybe if you buy a Sub with a Date that would ruin the No Date Sub.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 10:10 PM   #13
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I like the variety. I like putting on a watch that I haven’t worn in a while and remembering why I liked it so much to begin with.

The more the merrier in my mind. But there is always one (my 116610) that is special.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 10:12 PM   #14
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

OP- I know exactly what you mean! The 114060 was also my first, new from AD after wanting one for damn near 20 years. It’s been difficult to find anything that excites me as much...a 116500 Daytona did nothing for me on wrist, surprisingly enough.

I do think a current DJ36 would make for a nice complement to the Sub- both are timeless classics. Always trust your instincts in this game- not popular opinion.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 10:30 PM   #15
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
I was able to pick up an 114060 about 3 years ago before the sports models went crazy. Since then, I have purchased the following watches:

Omega Speedmaster Professional (sold the first one, purchased a second one)
Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 White Dial (sold)
Tudor Black Bay (Burgundy Bezel, Rose Dial) (sold)
Multiple Seiko "beaters" (skx + others) (all sold)
Omega Seamaster blue dial previous generation "Bond" watch (sold)

And finally, my latest purchase, the Explorer (214270) about 10 days ago.

It seems I always end up with no interest in anything other than my No Date Sub. All of these watches have been great, but I can't help but feel for the price and wrist presence, nothing comes close to the Submariner.

I am well aware many members here have more disposable income than the average guy (and myself), but for some reason I have developed a mindset of either wearing my best watch, or something I don't care about to an extent. I don't need a "collection" as I have realized I can only wear one at a time, and my life circumstances don't change enough to justify a box full of watches.

My latest consideration is to keep my Sub, add a DJ41 for a dressy piece (rhodium, smooth bezel jubilee) and some type of beater/cheap piece for certain situations, maybe a seiko diver?).

Anyone experience something like this? My current collection is the Sub, Explorer and Speedmaster, but I can't help but feel no attachment to anything other than my Sub. Am I crazy to consider selling the Explorer and Speedy? Funds aren't necessarily tight right now, but I just don't get the "wow" factor with the Explorer and Speedy. I just don't get the enjoyment out of these watches the same way I do with the Sub, and it makes me think, why bother keeping them if I am not attached?

The SubND & DJ41 are a perfect duo! Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 10:43 PM   #16
Warregl
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing
I used to be a one watch guy. First DJs and then I bought a 16610 brand new. I wore it everyday for 20 years until I bought my 116520. I had every intention of selling the Sub...but a strange thing happened when I tried to sell it. I couldn't part with it, realized I didn't want to sell it. So I didn't and now I have several and rotate. That makes me happy (for now).

I think the secret is do what feels right. And if you decide on a singe watch, the Sub is a great choice.
Warregl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 10:50 PM   #17
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I like my Omega PO 8500 better than my Sub as far as it is a higher quality watch with a better movement IMO. However, I absolutely love the TT bluesy look, so it is still my #1. I imagine if I had a ND sub instead, I would've sold it by now because the PO would be getting all the wrist time, and even my Tudor BB would probably get more wrist time as far as no date watches go, for the simple reason I would have much less worry about wearing it around for outdoor activities and such.

So while I certainly don't think the Sub is the pinnacle of watches that ruins everything else, I would most definitely not feel compelled to keep something I didn't really care for and wasn't wearing.
Old 30 June 2020, 10:52 PM   #18
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
How about a GMT? I had just the 114060 but wanted to add a date option and when I travel have another time zone.

I went for the Rootbeer. My 114060 is my everyday watch and the Rootbeer comes out on nights out, weekends and certain other events. For me the Rootbeer doesn’t wear as comfortably as the Sub, which for everyday wear can’t be beaten IMO.

8B5249B2-F362-4920-A55F-9AB2C3A69299.jpeg

BFC3619D-797F-4374-827B-E8835B14858F.jpeg
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:00 PM   #19
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharpe View Post
How about a GMT? I had just the 114060 but wanted to add a date option and when I travel have another time zone.

I went for the Rootbeer. My 114060 is my everyday watch and the Rootbeer comes out on nights out, weekends and certain other events. For me the Rootbeer doesn’t wear as comfortably as the Sub, which for everyday wear can’t be beaten IMO.

Attachment 1145320

Attachment 1145321
That Sub is great, but that Rootbeer kills it IMO, aesthetics wise and function wise. Totally understand that you wouldn't necessary want to wear it day in and day out for all activities, so I see the utility of the Sub though.
Old 30 June 2020, 11:04 PM   #20
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I have a 114060 too. Same problem here.

You have to get something you really like as much, and in my case, even watches that cost considerably more money aren't going to do the trick.

I'm actually getting an Omega Speedmaster Professional anyway. I think I might wear that.

A blue dial DJ 41 with fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet might work for me too...

The new BLNR is nice, but since I don't travel much anymore, I don't see the point of having a GMT.

The white dial Daytona is cool, but honestly, I doubt I'd prefer that over the Sub.

$35k DayDates are beautiful. I'd probably wear one of those as much as my Sub.

Patek Phillipe Nautilus 5711 blue dial? Now we're talking...I'd definitely wear that as much as my Sub.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:05 PM   #21
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post

besides,

they are a strong inflation hedge (investments) for those who worry about the trillions printed by central banks on a monthly basis

Watches are not investments, and your economic assessment of the USA is totally wrong.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:16 PM   #22
vassosent
"TRF" Member

My advice : Do nothing. You have a great collection. The 216570 is the sportiest and tough rolex. Moon watch is the most iconic and your Sub is a Sub. Don't flipp anything. Maybe in the future ad a basic Panerai 44mm

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi 8A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
vassosent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:16 PM   #23
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post
variety. variety. variety

when i travel, i wear the polar explorer (discrete, less attention from pickpocket plus GMT function)

when i wanna wear smart casual/semi formal, i wear the polished centre links gmt master (brushed links are sportier, less flashy)

when i wanna a daily casual wear with nato, i pick my sea dweller (nice lug proportions with nato and a iconic rolex look)

when i wanna dress up, no sports model for the day with a nice leather strap, i pick my DJ (leather strap looks out of proportion and incompatible on a six digit diver with thick lugs and being a diver itself)

besides,

Buy silver or gold as a hedge against inflation not watches.

I hope you're not a Financial Planner.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:16 PM   #24
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Can’t agree more!

Had speedmaster, avenger, JLC master control, etc. Sold all of them as it always went back to 114060. My blue dial fluted jubilee datejust 41 is a PERFECT complement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 96276060-7A84-4A96-8E34-59C4ACF9F7FA.jpeg (149.7 KB, 2436 views)
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:21 PM   #25
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

You're just "leveling up" your collection. I'd sell speedmaster and see how the explorer feels after a few months. Sometimes watches will grow on you. Personally I'd keep the explorer as a beater and add a DJ later.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:31 PM   #26
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Sub no date is so hot. Would almost be tempted to want a TT RG version...
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:57 PM   #27
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
My only advice if you get the datejust 41, don’t buy it just to complement the 114060 to get a date. See them in person. The dial selection is key. I had a white and black before the blue. The blue was a heart stopper. The black was not different enough for me to not wear the 114060. The white while nice, felt too summer only. I like the rodium, but to me was not different enough from the sub. The blue is best of both worlds - sometimes looks black but in different light it pops. So fascinating of a dial it makes me forget about the 114060. But when I put the 114060 back on, I also appreciate it more in different ways. Just my 2 cents. That being said, think silver is a nice option as well. But 100% jubilee to give it a different feel vs the sub.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:04 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sounds like you’ve found your watch nirvana...congratulations
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:20 AM   #29
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

DavidSW sells all he can get his hands on for top dollar, so must be pretty popular. Was happy to find my 114060 at an AD two years ago for MSRP, and it’s my only Rolex. The only other watch I wear is a Scurfa quartz ‘beater’ when I’m doing projects around the house.
I’m looking at 214270 now to add, but wondering if I’d ever wear it much because I like the 114060 and it’s so comfortable.
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:24 AM   #30
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharpe View Post

Attachment 1145320

Attachment 1145321
Interesting- folks usually say the opposite about comfort.

Just curious- why do you find the CHNR less comfortable? I always thought the lower profile case back of the GMT pieces improved comfort.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote