The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 July 2020, 12:26 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Perhaps go with just the Sub and never look back. It is always right, anytime, any place.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:28 AM   #32
JebM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Maybe get a GMT... or a sub date to go with your 114060 whenever they come out with the update. Speedy is cool but at least personally I don’t think I’ve ever used a chronograph function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:32 AM   #33
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Had speedmaster, avenger, JLC master control, etc. Sold all of them as it always went back to 114060. My blue dial fluted jubilee datejust 41 is a PERFECT complement.
That would do it for me...
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 01:11 AM   #34
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
Watches are not investments, and your economic assessment of the USA is totally wrong.

+1 So many experts on here on everything smh
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 01:36 AM   #35
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
I think that the three you have are suitable for the purposes you list.

You already sold the OP, which is a nice dressy watch, but the Explorer does double duty very well.

If you must have a DJ for dressy purposes, I suggest a steel, 36mm model on a jubilee with the bezel of your choice. Don't worry about what you think it looks like on your wrist size-wise. Everyone else will appreciate the elegance of the watch and your bold confidence in your masculinity.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 02:28 AM   #36
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I think that the three you have are suitable for the purposes you list.

You already sold the OP, which is a nice dressy watch, but the Explorer does double duty very well.

If you must have a DJ for dressy purposes, I suggest a steel, 36mm model on a jubilee with the bezel of your choice. Don't worry about what you think it looks like on your wrist size-wise. Everyone else will appreciate the elegance of the watch and your bold confidence in your masculinity.
Did he say he worries about what others think it looks like? Sorry if I missed that. 36 or 41 a personal choice, either works get the one you like most. I just thought he was looking at DJ41.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 02:31 AM   #37
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Did he say he worries about what others think it looks like? Sorry if I missed that. 36 or 41 a personal choice, either works get the one you like most. I just thought he was looking at DJ41.
With all due respect, I was addressing the OP.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 1 July 2020, 02:32 AM   #38
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
With all due respect, I was addressing the OP.

Noted
Old 1 July 2020, 02:33 AM   #39
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Noted

Old 1 July 2020, 02:44 AM   #40
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Same here but if you buy a 116610LN you will double your enjoyment. I did that with no regrets.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 02:45 AM   #41
campfire
"TRF" Member

I go through the same OP. Lots of nice watches out there and I can get caught up in getting them. But then realize, I can only wear one watch and too lazy to establish and keep to a rotation schedule.

So these days, I really ask myself, when will I actually wear that (potential new) watch? I get so caught up in the hunt for a new cool watch and realize, it's either redundant for the use case I already have covered.

Take this for what it's worth though as for decades I only had a Sub.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 02:54 AM   #42
SearChart
TechXpert

Just sell everything and only wear the sub then.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 03:48 AM   #43
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Just sell everything and only wear the sub then.
Exactly. Yesterday there was a new thread where a member asked if he should buy a Sub Date or Sub No Date and today, presto, we get a new thread stating that the Sub No Date is the greatest watch in existence. What a coincidence.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 04:41 AM   #44
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

I have this exact feeling with my RG Daytona. I put all my other watches away and haven’t even thought about them let alone looked at them in weeks (Dd 36, RG YM, sub date and black dial SS Daytona). I told myself that if I don’t think about them at all for another month, I’m just going to sell them.
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 04:47 AM   #45
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
Interesting- folks usually say the opposite about comfort.

Just curious- why do you find the CHNR less comfortable? I always thought the lower profile case back of the GMT pieces improved comfort.
Just the glidelock on the Sub. In the UK it gets quite humid in the summer. That glidelock is just incredible when my wrist swells during the day. The GMT easylink at 5mm just isn't enough some days.

Don't get me wrong, the GMT is a phenomenally conformable piece. That glidelock though....just the perfect, most comfortable watch I've ever worn.
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 05:20 AM   #46
dummykid
"TRF" Member

I love my 114060 and I think I would get another one if it comes with new movement.
dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 05:26 AM   #47
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

The Sub No Date and DJ41 make a great combo and cover most situations.
TruthBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 05:34 AM   #48
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post
variety. variety. variety

this debt monetization aint going to stop

and the whole world knows it...

because US is broke as F. so buy buy buy ! :)
And yet, when the US sneezes, the world catches cold....(prob a lousy analogy right now)...
Old 1 July 2020, 06:34 AM   #49
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Yes I’m in the same camp.

I own the watch I want the most and until I discover something to wear every day in its place, have no interest in building a collection to gather dust.

Next watch I buy will be as a gift.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 07:25 AM   #50
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
I have in the collection 116710 BLNR. Nine months ago I lined up for a black Submariner with a date to pair with my Batman. During this time, I repeatedly struggled with the thoughts of whether to rewrite the order for that without a date. I was even in my case with my AD. Unfortunately, this substitution will queue from the beginning. And Sub without date is so pure in its simplicity.

In terms of convenience, I think that GMT II is much more convenient than Submariner. This is of course my opinion in this matter.
mario1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 07:32 AM   #51
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
I have in the collection 116710 BLNR. Nine months ago I lined up for a black Submariner with a date to pair with my Batman. During this time, I repeatedly struggled with the thoughts of whether to rewrite the order for that without a date. I was even in my case with my AD. Unfortunately, this substitution will queue from the beginning. And Sub without date is so pure in its simplicity.

In terms of convenience, I think that GMT II is much more convenient than Submariner. This is of course my opinion in this matter.
Interesting. I have a 114060 and thinking at some point to get on the Batman waiting list. But I THINK if I had a Batman I would not want the sub date, as it already had a date, gmt function, and cooler with the blue. I would want the 114060 as I would already have the date function. From a collection standpoint, just to have a sub in the collection. I think we make scenarios in our head to justify getting more...hence we are human!
Old 1 July 2020, 07:36 AM   #52
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I couldn’t get past the fact that you sold your Seiko SKX’s.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 07:58 AM   #53
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Interesting. I have a 114060 and thinking at some point to get on the Batman waiting list. But I THINK if I had a Batman I would not want the sub date, as it already had a date, gmt function, and cooler with the blue. I would want the 114060 as I would already have the date function. From a collection standpoint, just to have a sub in the collection. I think we make scenarios in our head to justify getting more...hence we are human!
You are right about what you wrote, but I don't want to queue again. I decided to pick up what I ordered (when I finally get a call from AD) and make it if I can switch to a Sub without a date. I am writing it now, but during my thoughts my thoughts may evolve three more times.
Old 1 July 2020, 08:00 AM   #54
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
You are right about what you wrote, but I don't want to queue again. I decided to pick up what I ordered (when I finally get a call from AD) and make it if I can switch to a Sub without a date. I am writing it now, but during my thoughts my thoughts may evolve three more times.
Yep smart move...nice to have options!
Old 1 July 2020, 08:58 AM   #55
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
For me the 114060 worked the opposite. It felt large and bulky in comparison to my 14060. I was happy to trade it in on another watch. I wish it had ruined all other watches for me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 10:51 AM   #56
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
It seems I always end up with no interest in anything other than my No Date Sub. All of these watches have been great, but I can't help but feel for the price and wrist presence, nothing comes close to the Submariner.
OP we have very similar stories, I can definitely relate! The same thing happened to me when I got my 114060. I also had some other watches in my collection but after purchasing the no-date everything else felt less special. My sub was always the one I wanted to put on and everything else stopped getting wrist time. The submariner, for me, has always been the quintessential Rolex. It is the watch I imagined owning since before I could afford to start a collection. It’s the watch I compare all others to. Before the run on stainless sport watches started in 2017 I had the opportunity to buy a blnr (on oyster). Just walked into a random AD and there it was sitting in the case for sale. I wanted to want it. It’s a beautiful watch, but ended up passing after trying it on. It didn’t have the heft my sub does. For me it was too similar in appearance and somehow less special. It felt like a colorful version of what I already had but with the date and an unnecessary (for me) gmt function. I realize there are a lot of people who would disagree with that last part. The point is if I wasn’t so hung up on my sub I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
One day I realized that the problem was I had been too fixated on the Rolex brand. My advice to you OP would be to look outside of Rolex and find a watch you love that serves a different purpose. Something that looks significantly different than a diver. Maybe dressier or even more delicate since you already have the sub as your daily. For me I found that in an AP. The quality and finish is out of this world and it brings variety to my collection. Now every time I go to put on a watch it’s a toss up! Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 01:09 PM   #57
lemaitre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LN
I only wear and own my Sub Date and although I like and appreciate many other watches, I’ve always wanted the Sub Date, so I just admire and enjoy other watches without craving them. I know that if I buy them, I will end up just wearing my Sub Date. Don’t know if that makes sense though.
lemaitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 01:34 PM   #58
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Maybe you should try collecting Subs. You have a wide variety to choose from.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 09:51 PM   #59
Xenon
Banned

I only wear and own my DJ 36 and although I like and appreciate many other watches, I’ve always wanted the DJ 36, so I just admire and enjoy other watches without craving them. I know that if I buy them, I will end up just wearing my DJ 36. Don’t know if that makes sense though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 900000000000000000000000000.jpg (54.6 KB, 235 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 02:19 AM   #60
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
I only wear and own my DJ 36 and although I like and appreciate many other watches, I’ve always wanted the DJ 36, so I just admire and enjoy other watches without craving them. I know that if I buy them, I will end up just wearing my DJ 36. Don’t know if that makes sense though.
It makes perfect sense- consider yourself lucky! I think it takes a lot of folks many watches and many thousands of dollars to finally appreciate the all day comfort and versatility of the Datejust.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote