The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2024, 01:09 AM   #31
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I've looked at many of the watches at the DavidSW web page before and I have noticed that many do not have the white hang tag which contains the serial number/bracelet style. These white hang tags are unique to each watch based on the data placed on the tag by Rolex.
He does not advertise the white hand tags, and when the watches do have white hand tags, most of the time he does not provide the hand tag in the photo. Just keep that in mind.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 01:16 AM   #32
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
Here in Toronto I have bought few Rolex from A.D.When asked about white tags they said they keep it for their records and it is an inventory item.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 01:22 AM   #33
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Watch: love em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
it's been discussed many times.

the white tag is very important and contains a serial number of that particular watch, it cannot be replaced. therefore, it's not a full set without the white tag.

it's true that some dealers won't provide this to you, but it's not a full set if that was not given to you at sale.
So if you found your grail watch for sale listed as a full set, you're going to pass if it doesn't come with the white hang tag?
rufio0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 01:29 AM   #34
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio0811 View Post
So if you found your grail watch for sale listed as a full set, you're going to pass if it doesn't come with the white hang tag?
I would
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 02:08 AM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
He does not advertise the white hand tags, and when the watches do have white hand tags, most of the time he does not provide the hand tag in the photo. Just keep that in mind.

Fair enough.

Your experience seems different than what occurred for me during a phone inquiry there. I've looked at several watches there missing the white hang tag and when asked about that, I was always told it was not included. Maybe they do sell sets with both hang tags, but that has not been the case for me.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 02:28 AM   #36
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Please don't tell me you would buy a gray market pastel/vivid dial op without the serial hand tag....

Old 2 April 2024, 02:33 AM   #37
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Fair enough.

Your experience seems different than what occurred for me during a phone inquiry there. I've looked at several watches there missing the white hang tag and when asked about that, I was always told it was not included. Maybe they do sell sets with both hang tags, but that has not been the case for me.
I'm just telling you what it is - I've spoken to David myself about this - some of them have it some of them don't. Depends on who sold it to them. That simple. My family got a watch from him a couple of months ago and it came with a white serial hand tag - oyster perpetual 41... It's happened other times as well

Old 2 April 2024, 02:36 AM   #38
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Please don't tell me you would buy a gray market pastel/vivid dial op without the serial hand tag....

For me it would depend on the watch. I will agree some of the OPs would be hard pass since we have seen many dups with dials replaced.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 02:36 AM   #39
MarioB83
"TRF" Member

In my last purchase I saw the white tag and included the watch reference number, watch serial number and bracelet reference number. Didn't see before that it was including the bracelet reference no. and was surprising for me.
Also as said before, very rare to receive the white tag from the AD, at least in my country.
MarioB83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 02:46 AM   #40
Callmepeshy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No one said they are the same thing. You told him he will forget that he doesn't have it. I disagreed and I said that he is going to remember that he does not have the white hand tag. His birthday is not a warranty card, but he's not going to forget his birthday either. He won't forget that he has the Outer box to his Rolex box either.

Also, you don't remember things only because they have use. He's not going to forget that he didn't get a white serial hand tag. He's not going to forget those stickers - remember you didn't mention the stickers in your reply to me, but he mentioned that he has a fully stickered, and I assure you he paid a premium to have a fully stickered watch.
Whether a person remembers that they do or don’t have the white tag, my point is… does it really matter?

It’s clear that it does matter to some people based on the replies and that’s cool - each to their own

Quote:
You're done on this one.
Not quite sure what you mean here but as I say, each to their own. Doesn’t matter to me as I only care about the watch but that’s just me. Doesn’t make it correct, just my opinion
Old 2 April 2024, 02:52 AM   #41
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I wouldn't be buying a pastel/vivid dial or any OP for that matter, it's not a watch that interests me.

I would buy a 126500LN without the serial hang tag.
Old 2 April 2024, 03:02 AM   #42
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
Okay, folks, I am at a loss. Unless you are a flipper who really gives a rat's behind
Hardtimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 03:12 AM   #43
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:

At the risk of triggering one of those belligerent brawls again, but how easy is it to fake a hang tag if you already went through the trouble of replacing a dial. If you buy from a reputable seller, I would have no issue with a missing hang tag. In fact, most ADs here don’t provide any such hang tags and I have had no issue buying from them either. If you have doubts about what your seller is selling you, you’re probably dealing with the wrong seller…

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 03:20 AM   #44
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
At the risk of triggering one of those belligerent brawls again, but how easy is it to fake a hang tag if you already went through the trouble of replacing a dial. If you buy from a reputable seller, I would have no issue with a missing hang tag. In fact, most ADs here don’t provide any such hang tags and I have had no issue buying from them either. If you have doubts about what your seller is selling you, you’re probably dealing with the wrong seller…
I'm not saying everyone will have an issue. I would have an issue. Many others would have an issue with it. It is not common to fake have tags - very common to fake warranty cards, though. Even the warranty cards don't guarantee authenticity, but we are talking about a complete set - we are dealing with a lot of variables. And for some examples it's more meaningful. I've discussed that and responses from members have exemplified that as well. The actual value that buyer's place on it is also dependent on the specific reference.

Look, consider this: you may even get a watch from an ad outside of the US and never get the hand tag. I believe you and that case you may not think anything of it. If my USA AD didn't give me the hand tag on a particular reference or accidentally threw it away, obviously there's no question of authenticity, but I would go berserk (sensationalizing of cours) and I would truly remember it and it would bother me, even though there is zero question regarding authenticity. That's the honest truth. I believe many others here share that sentiment.

Old 2 April 2024, 03:32 AM   #45
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not saying everyone will have an issue. I would have an issue. Many others would have an issue with it. It is not common to fake have tags - very common to fake warranty cards, though. Even the warranty cards don't guarantee authenticity, but we are talking about a complete set - we are dealing with a lot of variables. And for some examples it's more meaningful. I've discussed that and responses from members have exemplified that as well. The actual value that buyer's place on it is also dependent on the specific reference.

Look, consider this: you may even get a watch from an ad outside of the US and never get the hand tag. I believe you and that case you may not think anything of it. If my USA AD didn't give me the hand tag on a particular reference or accidentally threw it away, obviously there's no question of authenticity, but I would go berserk (sensationalizing of cours) and I would truly remember it and it would bother me, even though there is zero question regarding authenticity. That's the honest truth. I believe many others here share that sentiment.

Well I guess we all have different things that make us happy. For me really a watch is an immediate write-off the minute I buy it. As I don’t plan to resell any of the watches I buy, they have no financial value to me and I don’t care what would make them more or less valuable. I do keep the warranty card for the unlikely event I’d have an issue with it and the box for the equally unlikely event that I might eventually trade it in towards something else. But fundamentally I buy watches to actually own and use them, not to keep them as museum pieces so that someone else will eventually be able to enjoy them in essentially new condition. So to be honest with you even the boxes are a bit of a nuisance.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 04:00 AM   #46
Tom Arai
Banned

April fools joke? So silly the piece of plastic.
Tom Arai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 04:03 AM   #47
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Arai View Post
Agreed, worthless piece of plastic that has nothing to do with the watch.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 04:04 AM   #48
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Agreed, worthless piece of plastic that has nothing to do with the watch.
sadly this is what watch discussion has come to
Old 2 April 2024, 04:09 AM   #49
Erivera42
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ ll and Sub 41
I purchased a Green OP 41 in September of 2023. I was told by my SA that Rolex was not allowing them to give the white tag anymore and it needed to be returned to Rolex. That did not stop me from purchasing my watch. Love the green it's amazing.
Erivera42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 05:10 AM   #50
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

On some references like Daytonas and OP's, counterfeit swapped dials are a big issue. I would never consider one of these hot references from the grey market aside from a few I have done extensive business with unless the white tag was present.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 05:18 AM   #51
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Quote:
No doubt, i would pass if the watch is not a full set, unless i am informed that it's not a full set and the price also reflects that.

my concern is that if the white tag is missing, then don't tell me it's a full set because it's not. As long as i am informed beforehand, i am ok buying a watch without the white tag, the green tag or the box.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 05:55 AM   #52
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No doubt, i would pass if the watch is not a full set, unless i am informed that it's not a full set and the price also reflects that.

my concern is that if the white tag is missing, then don't tell me it's a full set because it's not. As long as i am informed beforehand, i am ok buying a watch without the white tag, the green tag or the box.
Quote:
No April fools here from either of us. Trust.

Old 2 April 2024, 06:03 AM   #53
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I find that hard to believe and a lot of posturing happening in this thread.
Old 2 April 2024, 06:18 AM   #54
Callmepeshy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Well I guess we all have different things that make us happy. For me really a watch is an immediate write-off the minute I buy it. As I don’t plan to resell any of the watches I buy, they have no financial value to me and I don’t care what would make them more or less valuable. I do keep the warranty card for the unlikely event I’d have an issue with it and the box for the equally unlikely event that I might eventually trade it in towards something else. But fundamentally I buy watches to actually own and use them, not to keep them as museum pieces so that someone else will eventually be able to enjoy them in essentially new condition. So to be honest with you even the boxes are a bit of a nuisance.
Perfectly stated
Old 2 April 2024, 06:49 AM   #55
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBallGame View Post
While a little off topic from the OP’s question… I would disagree and say the white tag is important. More so than the generic green tag that can be bought on the forums or auction sites. Especially if you have a watch that’s available with multiple dial options.
Sure, if a buyer wants a "full set" with all the tags there are plenty available, but the white tag is not supposed to leave the AD with the watch. This throws up another variable - how can the buyer of a used "full set" be certain that the white tag supplied originally came with the watch being sold.

While the green tag is supplied with every Rolex, it is the Superlative Chronometer Certification and therefore import. It can be had from a variety of sellers on line, but so can a white tag.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 07:02 AM   #56
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Stickers make a complete set also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Sure, if a buyer wants a "full set" with all the tags there are plenty available, but the white tag is not supposed to leave the AD with the watch. This throws up another variable - how can the buyer of a used "full set" be certain that the white tag supplied originally came with the watch being sold.

While the green tag is supplied with every Rolex, it is the Superlative Chronometer Certification and therefore import. It can be had from a variety of sellers on line, but so can a white tag.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 07:28 AM   #57
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
When I picked up my silver Snoopy from a local AD last March they kept the hang tag, company policy it seems.
Old 2 April 2024, 07:49 AM   #58
TeddyBallGame
2024 Pledge Member

Hang Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

I’m not implying that the green hang tag is useless, they both have their own value to the watch, but that each white tag is specific to the watch it came with. Unlike the green tag which has no unique identifier linking it to the watch. The white tag includes the reference number, serial number, dial/bracelet config and what box size it gets placed into. If I remember correctly from all my AD purchases, only the white tag comes in the coffin/cardboard box the watch is shipped in. The green tags come separately with the green boxes.

Maybe in various countries the policy on the white tag might differ, but from discussions I’ve had from the ADs I’ve purchased through here in the US, they come with the watch. I have heard that some ADs, to help curb flipping, would keep the white tag but that was at their own discretion.

Nonetheless, it’s a small bit of plastic that sits in my box and never sees the light of day. But I do appreciate having all the tags.

Cheers!!
TeddyBallGame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 08:26 AM   #59
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
A lot of watches sourced from around the world do not have the white tags. Many US dealers do not supply them with the watch. They are an inventory item and of no value to the watch set. But as with anything Rolex some folks will not buy a newer watch without it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 08:53 AM   #60
acorn
Banned

Rolex CPO doesn’t come with them. Highly suspicious! (sarcasm)
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote