The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2018, 01:49 PM   #31
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I apologise to anyone who seems to be offended. Please, enjoy your maxi subs. No skin off my back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:06 PM   #32
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsc View Post
Perhaps they are not making many because they don't feel they will sell because so many people seem to hate them because of these awful lugs?
I appreciate the irony, but no. The current six-digit Subs sell quite well. If the super-case had proven to be a disincentive to sales, we would have seen a correction at some point. Instead, Rolex has doubled down on the design with the new GMT. Also, I don't think we have much sway with Rolex. It wouldn't surprise me if they do check in from time to time, to see what the "obsessive fringe" segment is saying, but I would imagine we are collectively one small data point on a much larger customer-base spectrum.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:11 PM   #33
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by busytimmy View Post
I apologise to anyone who seems to be offended. Please, enjoy your maxi subs. No skin off my back

Not offended at all. There is a Rolex watch for every preference out there. If we all loved the same things, life would get a bit mundane.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:15 PM   #34
GHETTONA
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Honestly don't see why some people have problem with the lugs. I've had both the 5-digit sub and the 6-digit sub and I personally think the thicker lug makes the watch look more modern. Also, no watch, whether it is Rolex, Patek or Audamars, is loved by everyone. Some people complain about how the Daytona looks like a women's watch or about how the case is too small while others complain about the thicker lug of the Sub-C. I've seen people complain about how Datejust looks like a "old people's watch" and how the green on Hulk and Kermit is ugly. I think it all comes down to personal preference and one should enjoy what looks good on his wrist.
GHETTONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:23 PM   #35
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
x2 It's a bummer when you know you're not going to be interested in anything Rolex releases if it comes with the maxicase treatment. If what you really want is 5 digits that's what you should buy. Waiting is for the current suckers.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:25 PM   #36
GHETTONA
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Not offended at all. There is a Rolex watch for every preference out there. If we all loved the same things, life would get a bit mundane.
True that
GHETTONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:48 PM   #37
mdubya
"TRF" Member

Problem with going back to 5-digits is 90% of them on the market are horrible polish jobs, incomplete sets, or grossly overpriced. Sorry, I'm not paying 11K for a 10 year old, polished, 16710 that is going to need a service in a few years. Also terrible condition 14060s and 16610s with asks in the 7K range... To find a nice set in good condition is an exercise in frustration. I know this is the new reality of rolex but Im not paying more for a 16710 or 16610 than I would for a brand new BLNR or sub. Its just insanity.

I also agree with some posters in here that the maxi case is a huge mistake in design and looks terrible on 90% of wrists... there is no flow between the watch and the bracelet and it looks like it was put together as an afterthought. If rolex produced watches designed as they did for the first 70 years of their existence that I could actually but from an AD, they would probably have 30-50K of my money right now. A 40mm sub and GMT with case proportions like the SD43, please.
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 03:02 PM   #38
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Problem with going back to 5-digits is 90% of them on the market are horrible polish jobs, incomplete sets, or grossly overpriced. Sorry, I'm not paying 11K for a 10 year old, polished, 16710 that is going to need a service in a few years. Also terrible condition 14060s and 16610s with asks in the 7K range... To find a nice set in good condition is an exercise in frustration. I know this is the new reality of rolex but Im not paying more for a 16710 or 16610 than I would for a brand new BLNR or sub. Its just insanity.

I also agree with some posters in here that the maxi case is a huge mistake in design and looks terrible on 90% of wrists... there is no flow between the watch and the bracelet and it looks like it was put together as an afterthought. If rolex produced watches designed as they did for the first 70 years of their existence that I could actually but from an AD, they would probably have 30-50K of my money right now. A 40mm sub and GMT with case proportions like the SD43, please.

Nailed it.

busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 03:09 PM   #39
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Love the current 6 digit sub.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 03:26 PM   #40
bazsc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't buy one then - more for those who do want one

I was lucky enough to have had the option to buy a Sub ND or GMT BLNR and found the Sub a better fit for me

I would not be arrogant enough to call something a 'huge mistake in design' when talking about something someone else likes.

Say you don't like it but don't assume that your preference is the right one

These threads always end up in someone insulting someone else's choice

If you don't like it then don't buy it - as said previously it is all about personal preference

Let us talk about what we like rather than want we don't like. I love my watch and don't regret it for a minute.
bazsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 03:28 PM   #41
sevykor
"TRF" Member

I for one am hoping for a sub redesign...

Quote:

Spot on assessment! Although I wouldn’t mind a 43mm case for my 8-1/4” wrist. I’m not too critical about the maxi case, as it may be personal preference for some. The dimensions on the maxi just didn’t look right to me much like the DJ II didn’t look right. They fixed it with the DJ41 and perhaps the Sub will get a redo much like the SD43 looks more proportional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 03:37 PM   #42
bazsc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
Spot on assessment! Although I wouldn’t mind a 43mm case for my 8-1/4” wrist. I’m not too critical about the maxi case, as it may be personal preference for some. The dimensions on the maxi just didn’t look right to me much like the DJ II didn’t look right. They fixed it with the DJ41 and perhaps the Sub will get a redo much like the SD43 looks more proportional.

Nothing to fix from my view....fix assumes something is broken

We mugs who bought the 6 digit and like it.....I also like the 5digit too....and the vintage ones as well
bazsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 03:44 PM   #43
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Maybe the people complaining about the super case now may be impressed down the road when these start turning up with a few polishes done to them?

I love the super/maxi case. Gives the watch a robust, tool-like look.

Oh, and the corners of the lugs are great for cleaning under your fingernails!
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 03:57 PM   #44
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
My same response to the same question from anther thread...
There are many ideas. But the Submariner is pure perfection, especially the 114060. There are no funny colors on the dial(Omega), no red, orange, or yellow hands, weird shaped hour markers or odd bezel colors...just basic and universal BLACK, and not many can boast the symmetry of the venerable 114060. Some come close but not quite. It is still a rock solid, bullet proof tool watch if you so need. I love all the shininess which give the watch sort of a masculine elegance. I don't wan't any AR coating, I have never had a single issue telling time in any light, for me the shiny is cool and removes a bit of the ruggedness when in a suit.

Then the case shape, while many don't like it. I believe it is perfect. It is very Alpha, it is masculine and is permanently like a flexed muscle as other 40mm watches look small. It is the perfect size at 40mm which means it can dress up or down. Skinny lugs look weird to me, like a body builder with skinny legs.
It's size doesn't draw too much attention like a Deepsea or SD43 but definitely still has a respectable presence.

They can update the movement which would be nice, but leave everything else alone. I don't mind all the text on the dial really as it is part of it's tool watch heritage and if you are a veteran like I am, in the army we had what was called a tower of power on your uniform, which meant that all your badges were on display to show all the hard core schools you went to, except air assault(lol). So the Submariner has it's very Alpha male tower of power on display.
It's a man's man watch. I love it for what it is and represents in my mind. If they upgrade the case to look more feminine and put silly colors on the dial to make it pretty like adding lipstick then I'll happily enjoy the old school model...and I have to admit the five digits have their masculine charm as well, but in a different way.

I'm in the minority, I'm sure...but just my two cents.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 05:32 PM   #45
Richmor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
Perhaps Rolex is testing the waters with the Tudor 58.
Old 2 April 2018, 07:30 PM   #46
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:

Agreed. It’s why I love my 116600 so much as they slimmed it back down to perfection imo.

It’s not just the lugs, but also the crown guards are way too thick.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 07:45 PM   #47
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
There are many ideas. But the Submariner is pure perfection, especially the 114060. There are no funny colors on the dial(Omega), no red, orange, or yellow hands, weird shaped hour markers or odd bezel colors...just basic and universal BLACK, and not many can boast the symmetry of the venerable 114060. Some come close but not quite. It is still a rock solid, bullet proof tool watch if you so need. I love all the shininess which give the watch sort of a masculine elegance. I don't wan't any AR coating, I have never had a single issue telling time in any light, for me the shiny is cool and removes a bit of the ruggedness when in a suit.

Then the case shape, while many don't like it. I believe it is perfect. It is very Alpha, it is masculine and is permanently like a flexed muscle as other 40mm watches look small. It is the perfect size at 40mm which means it can dress up or down. Skinny lugs look weird to me, like a body builder with skinny legs.
It's size doesn't draw too much attention like a Deepsea or SD43 but definitely still has a respectable presence.

They can update the movement which would be nice, but leave everything else alone. I don't mind all the text on the dial really as it is part of it's tool watch heritage and if you are a veteran like I am, in the army we had what was called a tower of power on your uniform, which meant that all your badges were on display to show all the hard core schools you went to, except air assault(lol). So the Submariner has it's very Alpha male tower of power on display.
It's a man's man watch. I love it for what it is and represents in my mind. If they upgrade the case to look more feminine and put silly colors on the dial to make it pretty like adding lipstick then I'll happily enjoy the old school model...and I have to admit the five digits have their masculine charm as well, but in a different way.

Exactly!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 07:52 PM   #48
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I suspect the Sub will get redesigned the same way the GMT got redesigned - a barely discernible refinement, but still obviously a super-case design. A new movement with the redesign is a given at this point. When it will happen is anybody's guess, although I'd be surprised if it didn't happen by 2020.
The supercase is here to stay. Good example is new ss Pepsi. Still has supercase.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 08:31 PM   #49
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Mixed feelings. Love my Sub C.
Old 2 April 2018, 08:32 PM   #50
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the current cases. Hope it stays the same.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 08:36 PM   #51
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I for one am hoping for a sub redesign...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

I agree with all of this, except I don’t think you’re (we’re) in the minority.

I see this behavior on car forums too. A specific car might have a huge following, sell well, and have dedicated forums, but yet there are always those who whine and complain about the latest design. Fact is, the updated models are better in every way, but yet there are still a noisy few who advocate for the previous model.

Supercase is here to stay folks.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 08:44 PM   #52
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
You're not the only one hoping for a redesign. Make the Sub 41mm diameter, 21mm bracelet width, 49mm lug-to-lug length, with the same proportions and lug shape as the SD43 and I would be first in line to put my deposit down. It would then be perfect. And yes I'm being selfish because I have >7" wrists but the current generation is just too small for me unfortunately and I hate the maxicase block look.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:03 PM   #53
Indy11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
It is amazing that Rolez is unable to design the perfect Sub that every person on planet earth adores and finds absolutely 100% perfected. I mean they ARE Rolex and everyone has the same tastes towards design. Weird....
Indy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:16 PM   #54
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
I have a 6.75" wrist and and I do not think it looks big or ugly on my wrist. Give him a fifth chance and you will fall in love. The Super Case is beautiful. Another option is Daytona case, YM or DJ.

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk
I have a yet smaller wrist at 6 and 1/2 and fits just fine. In fact, would argue perfect.
Heck, it’s my smallest watch with the rest ranging up to 44.

To me, this “too big for me” nonsense constantly debated is beyond ridiculous.
Folks will debate a 36 v 41 DJ, saying the 41 is way too big on someone yet a negligible 1mm less on a sub is “the perfect size”, and they own a sub.

I wear what makes me happy.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:19 PM   #55
wwwdotcomdotnet
"TRF" Member

Count me in the camp that actually likes the current revision of SS ceramic model cases.
wwwdotcomdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:27 PM   #56
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I do have an alternate theory, although I find it unlikely. Rather than keeping the Sub looking like the GMT (which historically it always has, or vice versa), Rolex establishes a "diver DNA" by redesigning the Sub to look more like the Sea Dweller and Deepsea. Then, all divers become a distinct branch, separate from the GMT, which stands on its own with the super-case. My gut tells me that won't happen, and the Sub and GMT will remain fraternal twins. But Rolex does like to change things up from time to time, so who knows?
I believe you’re right and my theory has been Rolex will differentiate further between the Sub and GMT Master, while taking advantage of economies to scale from the rest of the Diver Range.

The fact that the SD43 came with a big price increase, placing it closer to the DSSD without the DSSD version of the Glidelock, tells me it’s very possible Rolex takes the BB41 approach and makes a Sub 126610 in 41mm (officially still marketed as 40mm), and uses the SD43’s 22mm bracelet.

This allows for the 5 digit shape without having to backtrack and downsize.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:36 PM   #57
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

It took me awhile once the maxi case came out to really fall in love, but I think it really takes a conservatively sized watch and makes it accessible to many different wrist sizes. I think this is here to stay. There is likely to be very conservative refinement in the future like the "new" GMT-Master II case which is barely discernible, but I don't foresee a return to previous case dimensions anytime soon.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:42 PM   #58
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I believe you’re right and my theory has been Rolex will differentiate further between the Sub and GMT Master, while taking advantage of economies to scale from the rest of the Diver Range.

The fact that the SD43 came with a big price increase, placing it closer to the DSSD without the DSSD version of the Glidelock, tells me it’s very possible Rolex takes the BB41 approach and makes a Sub 126610 in 41mm (officially still marketed as 40mm), and uses the SD43’s 22mm bracelet.

This allows for the 5 digit shape without having to backtrack and downsize.
Still can't see GMT having a Supercase and not the Sub. If anything, I would expect the exact opposite. The Sub would have the Supercase, and not the GMT. That would make a lot more sense to me.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:45 PM   #59
JohnnyNoDate
"TRF" Member

2019 - New Yellow Gold Submariner with gilt dial, movement, case
2020 - New Stainless Steel Submariner with new dial, movement, case
2020 - RIP Hulk

You “heard” it first right here, on the Internet. Make sure you save this post for your future citation needs!
JohnnyNoDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:47 PM   #60
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Still can't see GMT having a Supercase and not the Sub. If anything, I would expect the exact opposite. The Sub would have the Supercase, and not the GMT. That would make a lot more sense to me.
In my expample the Maxi case isn’t going anywhere, just the bracelet width is increasing
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote