The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2018, 09:46 AM   #31
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
I’d vote young and retired. But unfortunately not really young anymore, and not yet retired.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 03:13 PM   #32
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Some folks just have a more "serious" or "concerned citizen" personality than others.
I can't help being concerned about social problems. My wife simply doesn't care.
I'm stressed, she's not.
Even when I was young (in the '70s) the 'bad stuff' in society concerned me. Nothing's changed.
I hate 'political correctness' as an attack on free speech but acknowledge that certain kinds of 'free speech' need to be regulated - e.g. incitement to violence. It's complicated.
I'd sure as hell like to be younger but I'm not sure the '70s were - on balance - better than now. Regarding retirement, it may not be all it's cracked up to be for some folks.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:44 PM   #33
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Some folks just have a more "serious" or "concerned citizen" personality than others.
I can't help being concerned about social problems. My wife simply doesn't care.
I'm stressed, she's not.
Even when I was young (in the '70s) the 'bad stuff' in society concerned me. Nothing's changed.
I hate 'political correctness' as an attack on free speech but acknowledge that certain kinds of 'free speech' need to be regulated - e.g. incitement to violence. It's complicated.
I'd sure as hell like to be younger but I'm not sure the '70s were - on balance - better than now. Regarding retirement, it may not be all it's cracked up to be for some folks.

I think your right. I've always been one to worry when it came to things like this and it was always amazing to me that others didn't seem to be concerned. As far as times go I think the sixties here were probably quite bad as far as social unrest goes, it's just that even then kids were able to go outside and a parent could parent. I guess I just find these two even more disturbing than the riots of the sixties. I could steer clear of areas where those occurred, but it seems you can't go anywhere where this isn't an issue. I don't know if this was ever an issue previously anywhere except for those areas like the slums or high crime rates. Even decent neighborhoods if there are such a thing anymore this is an issue. I see some political correctness as not being such a bad thing but just like everything else we always seem to go overboard with almost everything.

The retirement thing is more about just not fitting in with todays crowd. It just seems my views are so much different than those in the workplace today. Some of that I guess you could also attribute to political correctness and just good old fashion work ethic.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:46 PM   #34
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Younger.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:18 PM   #35
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Younger.
I’m not sure I would either fit in nor would I even want to for that matter.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 09:21 PM   #36
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
At 44 I would love to financially able to retire.

Even in the next 10 years. I’d be thrilled if I could. But not working, I imagine I’d spend a fortune which would end terribly for me.

But retiring old, tired, and potentially ailing health doesn’t sound like nearly as much fun.

I’d much prefer young and retired.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:45 PM   #37
fastfreddie
Banned

Ddddddrrrreeees, did I get close you your thoughtful and deep answer, take no notice of seachart he was just fooling.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:57 PM   #38
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Id give anything to be young again...im 61 retired and because of health issues it sucks.
I would take 27 and broke over 60+ anyday.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:58 PM   #39
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Ddddddrrrreeees, did I get close you your thoughtful and deep answer, take no notice of seachart he was just fooling.
Feel free to answer how you choose. I do the same myself.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 10:01 PM   #40
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
Id give anything to be young again...im 61 retired and because of health issues it sucks.
I would take 27 and broke over 60+ anyday.
Although my aches and pains maybe minor when compared to others I practically curse my arthritis daily if not hourly. Bad back, bad knee, and bad hands. Even if only aches, constant nagging pain sucks.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 September 2018, 10:09 PM   #41
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Interesting thread. I was able to retire at the relatively young age of 51. I’m loving life right now even with my minor aches and pains. In my line of work though the cynicism meter was far into the red after several decades and that has come down just a bit which is nice. Holly will be retiring in the next couple of years also at a relatively young age so that’s when the real fun begins.
So I guess my answer would be both? Retired at a younger age with enough money and health to really enjoy the next several decades. We always keep in mind though that this situation can change in an instant making us mindful to really enjoy our great situation. We had that wake up call several years ago when Holly had open heart surgery.
Grandkids now, financially stable and still healthy, that’s the ticket.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:12 PM   #42
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I like being in the middle... alive strong and healthy but old enough to have saved enough money to tell people to fk off.

So right in the middle

:)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:30 PM   #43
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I retired at 56 after a traumatic brain injury. The last six years have been the best of my life, partly because the TBI knocked some of the Type A personality traits out of my head. I've never wished for a second that I was back at work.

The only time I long to go back in time is when I think about how fast my three daughters grew up. I wish sometimes I could go back and relive their childhoods with the benefit of hindsight. For now, I'm thoroughly enjoying having small grandchildren.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:39 PM   #44
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I think any age with good health really, without health you have nothing.

I’m middle aged (43) with poor health both mental and physical and it takes its toll when you really despise your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:49 PM   #45
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting question and the answer is different depending on who you are and what you want from your life. I have an attitude of gratitude for everything I have seen, done and achieved or failed in over the years. So many others never got the chance to make in life due to accidents, illness or just plain bad luck. I retired at 49 from LE after a 30 year career. Really 28 years but I was able to save my accumulated leave and went out almost two years early. My pension is based on 30 years. I have seen both sides and have been retired 5 years this month. It has been the best five years of my life as I have had my health and family. I try not to overthink things and understand change is part of life. If you like things now it will change. Sometimes for the better other times in a way you may not like. Such is life and I have learned to be thoughtful, respectful of others and myself and try to make the most of this one life I have been blessed with.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:41 PM   #46
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
After I was assaulted and sustained the traumatic brain injury, I initially struggled with the loss of my medical career, income and even my self image. I saw a very smart psychologist for a while to deal with the issues. One day as we talked, he said, "Mark, you can CHOOSE to thrive in this new situation." I took this to heart, and it turns out he was very right.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:45 PM   #47
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

option 3. Young and close to retirement
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:15 AM   #48
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
At 69 and retired, life has never been better.

Whatever one's age, it's better to be healthy and satisfied with one's circumstances.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:28 AM   #49
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post
I'm older and closer to retirement, so I'd say younger.
This.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 02:32 AM   #50
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
option 3. Young and close to retirement
Man, you just be crushing it.

With kids, with your spending habits, you must be still be putting away oodles of cash if you are the age I think you are, and nearly ready for retirement.

I’d love to be in that position.

Old 17 September 2018, 02:38 AM   #51
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I’d say it depends mostly on how much you managed to save and your health.

Given the chance I’d rewind the clocks and do it all a bit differently based on the knowledge I’d picked up from the first time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 03:11 AM   #52
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post
I'm older and closer to retirement, so I'd say younger.
I’d second that opinion. I always wanted to have a decent amount of money, but now that I’ve hit that goal, I’d probably trade it to have more time, better health, and a lot more energy. Guess the grass is always greener, huh? Point being, young people, enjoy your current stage of life before it passes you by. Living with regrets is far worse than yet achieving your life’s goals. Afterall, the pursuit is really what it is all about.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 03:21 AM   #53
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Must be nice to be young and financially independent.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 03:23 AM   #54
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Younger and closer to retirement would be nice, but that ain't the way it is, 'coz we're 'here', now. Jannet retired in '01 , (but just as busy if not more..), I haven't yet, tho on the horizon. The 'younger' aspect would've been nice so has to not be in pain most of the time, for both of us..being 'older'. After my back surgery 2yrs ago, things have downgraded and I really feel the difference. Kinda took the 'wind out of the sails'..so to speak. Jannet too, has a number of 'issues'' - But we're both hanging in there and still enjoy life..vs the alternative.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 03:46 AM   #55
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Must be nice to be young and financially independent.
That’s what I’m thinking.

To just have that sense of freedom. I’m with mcorliss. I agree we must do our best to enjoy where we are. Big dang, it must feel great to have financial freedom

Old 17 September 2018, 04:05 AM   #56
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
That’s what I’m thinking.

To just have that sense of freedom. I’m with mcorliss. I agree we must do our best to enjoy where we are. Big dang, it must feel great to have financial freedom
Yes. Especially in a profession without fame and trouble like young athletes and actors for example. A nice discreet worry-free life with the ones you like around you must be fantastic. I'm glad my work brings me a very stable life but I still have to work even if I'm not it the mood that particular day. But I'm happy and I can't complain because it's not easy to have this situation in the world we live in today.
Old 17 September 2018, 04:21 AM   #57
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting question and the answer is different depending on who you are and what you want from your life. I have an attitude of gratitude for everything I have seen, done and achieved or failed in over the years. So many others never got the chance to make in life due to accidents, illness or just plain bad luck. I retired at 49 from LE after a 30 year career. Really 28 years but I was able to save my accumulated leave and went out almost two years early. My pension is based on 30 years. I have seen both sides and have been retired 5 years this month. It has been the best five years of my life as I have had my health and family. I try not to overthink things and understand change is part of life. If you like things now it will change. Sometimes for the better other times in a way you may not like. Such is life and I have learned to be thoughtful, respectful of others and myself and try to make the most of this one life I have been blessed with.
Amen Bill, I’m coming up on 6 years out now, living the dream!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:36 AM   #58
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes. Especially in a profession without fame and trouble like young athletes and actors for example. A nice discreet worry-free life with the ones you like around you must be fantastic. I'm glad my work brings me a very stable life but I still have to work even if I'm not it the mood that particular day. But I'm happy and I can't complain because it's not easy to have this situation in the world we live in today.
I’m in a different situation.

And I’m not complaining. I’m happy. And I’m lucky.

But I’m pushing at 100% everyday. If I was less spendy, I’d likely be in a much better spot. Even now, I’m good. If I can maintain for the next 10 years, I’ll still need to work, especially for medical insurance, but I’ll be in a place where I can coast to a certain degree.

But at this point it’s as if my hair is on fire daily. And I honestly don’t know how much longer I can continue. If I had that financial freedom, it might reduce the stress. But I don’t. Not yet.

My business has been growing fast though. Which adds to the stress. But it’s better stress than the alternative. So again, not complaining. Dang though, I’d surely love that sense of security without having to worry about every little thing.

Old 17 September 2018, 04:48 AM   #59
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I’m in a different situation.

And I’m not complaining. I’m happy. And I’m lucky.

But I’m pushing at 100% everyday. If I was less spendy, I’d likely be in a much better spot. Even now, I’m good. If I can maintain for the next 10 years, I’ll still need to work, especially for medical insurance, but I’ll be in a place where I can coast to a certain degree.

But at this point it’s as if my hair is on fire daily. And I honestly don’t know how much longer I can continue. If I had that financial freedom, it might reduce the stress. But I don’t. Not yet.

My business has been growing fast though. Which adds to the stress. But it’s better stress than the alternative. So again, not complaining. Dang though, I’d surely love that sense of security without having to worry about every little thing.
I follow your posts and I think you're doing great man. The world is brutal and unfair so we're a bunch of lucky people here living a good life and enjoying this great hobby. It's a dream life for most out there.
Old 17 September 2018, 04:59 AM   #60
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I follow your posts and I think you're doing great man. The world is brutal and unfair so we're a bunch of lucky people here living a good life and enjoying this great hobby. It's a dream life for most out there.
You speak the truth. Absolutely. Broham