The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2022, 04:31 PM   #1
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Icon11 Anti reflective surface on watch crystal

Hi all. This might of been covered before.

I have a dial which reflects the light way too easily. Unless I have the 1 angle and it is at night, I can see a sunburst of reflection.

My understanding is that you can apply a film on top of the crystal but any scratch will expose the scratch even easier. Plus it would deteriorate under any moisture exposure (if the dia gets wet).

So this correct that the only real way to address this permanently is to replace the crystal entirely?
Mont Blanc Starwalker Red Gold Fineliner & Mech Pencil
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Red Gold 90th Anniv FPen
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 07:22 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bling72 View Post
Hi all. This might of been covered before.

I have a dial which reflects the light way too easily. Unless I have the 1 angle and it is at night, I can see a sunburst of reflection.

My understanding is that you can apply a film on top of the crystal but any scratch will expose the scratch even easier. Plus it would deteriorate under any moisture exposure (if the dia gets wet).

So this correct that the only real way to address this permanently is to replace the crystal entirely?
Well the newer Rolex watches do have A/R coating but under the crystal, on the newer GMT watches the A/R coating is under the cyclops top surface as well as under crystal. And any A/R coating on top of crystal will mark and scratch and deteriorate over the years of wearing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 09:09 PM   #3
Bling72
"TRF" Member

thanks Padi

Hi Padi. Thanks for the insight and info.

Yes of my other dials, they are not so reflective. I find it so important to be able to view the time without needing to mostly change the angles. I want to see all of the dial. Not just the hands.

I would be surprised if this issue exists on the higher end luxury time pieces.
Mont Blanc Starwalker Red Gold Fineliner & Mech Pencil
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Red Gold 90th Anniv FPen
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 06:01 AM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bling72 View Post
Hi Padi. Thanks for the insight and info.

Yes of my other dials, they are not so reflective. I find it so important to be able to view the time without needing to mostly change the angles. I want to see all of the dial. Not just the hands.

I would be surprised if this issue exists on the higher end luxury time pieces.
I imagine there may be differing levels of quality of the AR coating that is related to durability.
But scratches on AR coating is an issue on the outside of the Crystal as Padi mentions.
It has been mentioned on Omega forums as being a thing, but I don't think it necessarily reflects on quality issues.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 01:21 AM   #5
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
It does seem that domed crystals as original 19s or the later True Dome type for earlier references reflect less light or have a less noticeable reflection.
It might be a subject for objective testing as to the reflective qualities of modern flat sapphire crystals against the earlier domed acrylic variety. There are watches also made
with sapphire domed crystals presently.

It is also quite possible that light and angle are just as important as the presence of AR
coating in creating or noticing reflective sunlight or other bright light sources.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote