The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 January 2022, 12:40 PM   #721
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
At least for the past few years they have been different from the brands for me- my overall experience in 2020 and 2021 was a breath of fresh air compared to PP/AP/Rolex. I know quite a few first timers that received Category 2 and 3 watches in 2020 and 2021- I see them all the time at boutique events. I think it is when you go straight to category 1 where it becomes a competition where it is hard to win.

Most of my friends and I have received 1-2 pieces and some have gotten category 1 pieces (Havana) as their 2nd piece. One friend even got a black label piece as his “first” because he had bought a CS grey.

You are right - as I think going straight to category 1 is a fool’s errand- the inflection point was the Geneve auction in mid 2021- things went apeshit after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I don't think people are confused about the playbook; we've all had to play this game one way or another over the past couple of years. Some like playing it. Some play begrudgingly. Some leave the table. It is what it is. Just as an FYI, I've completed numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 on your list....still told no chance after 3.5 years of waiting patiently. It appears step 4 is not optional, might want to adjust that playbook.

My only (and I stress only) gripe is this facade that the FPJ brand is somehow different in their practices. They are not. That's all I'm saying. What's the phrase..."don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining".
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 02:07 PM   #722
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
At least for the past few years they have been different from the brands for me- my overall experience in 2020 and 2021 was a breath of fresh air compared to PP/AP/Rolex. I know quite a few first timers that received Category 2 and 3 watches in 2020 and 2021- I see them all the time at boutique events. I think it is when you go straight to category 1 where it becomes a competition where it is hard to win.

Most of my friends and I have received 1-2 pieces and some have gotten category 1 pieces (Havana) as their 2nd piece. One friend even got a black label piece as his “first” because he had bought a CS grey.

You are right - as I think going straight to category 1 is a fool’s errand- the inflection point was the Geneve auction in mid 2021- things went apeshit after that.
That's just the thing though, for pretty much every brand you will get shut out of tier 1 with no purchase history. Like every other brand, you can have no purchase history and obtain tier 2.

Can you have little to no history with a Lange boutique and obtain an Odysseus? No. Lange 1? Yes.

Vacheron. Certain overseas models? No. Cornes de Vache? Yes.

Moser. Streamliner? No. Endeavour or a PC? Yes.

Above three are actual examples I have experienced. Little to no history at the respective boutiques/ADs. Tier 1 watches; impossible to get. Tier 2; very obtainable.

Now, to mention independent brands that are almost as hot as Journe right now. I had zero purchase history with Gronefeld and MB&F. I've never met Max in my life. I doubt the GF brothers remember me. You know what? I was able to obtain a Principia and I'm guaranteed a LM101. No games. No kissing rear ends. No having to write an expose on my credentials as a collector and person. No having to attend dinners and events (although I do love to do that anyway). Point is, Gronefeld actually shut down production they were so inundated with orders. They still honor people waiting in line and don't play games.

FPJ could do things differently, they jusy choose not to; which I have zero issue with. But, don't lump yourself in with brands like GF that actually do buck industry trends.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 02:22 PM   #723
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

One more thing to add, which I find comical. I'm getting passed in the CB queue by people who have identified the CB as a watch they want in 2021 and 2022. Let that sink in. These are the "enthusiasts" Journe wants to honor? People that set their sights on a watch more than 3 years after it became unobtainable?

Old 10 January 2022, 03:21 PM   #724
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
that you have a real job
Well, dammit.
Old 10 January 2022, 06:06 PM   #725
APGalore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusgoh View Post
Not a CB, but just as beautiful.
WOW, look absolutely stunning! I didn't like the Nacre on the pics on the Journe website, but it the sun it's brilliant!
APGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 07:55 PM   #726
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

i am also frustrated by Journe...

i went 4months back and bought on grey a Havana Octa lune for me to show them my seriousness about the brand... their boutique in Dubai would not even still put me on any wait list- on anything... they said you can be on a wish list which means you wont ever get anything.

hence, i am selling my Havana (which i honestly loved and thought it is really rare and a piece of art) and going back to my roots... to Patek... there at least there is no bluff... you will know upfront what you can get and what you cannot get.
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:17 PM   #727
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek_collector View Post
i went 4months back and bought on grey a Havana Octa lune for me to show them my seriousness about the brand... their boutique in Dubai would not even still put me on any wait list- on anything... they said you can be on a wish list which means you wont ever get anything.

hence, i am selling my Havana (which i honestly loved and thought it is really rare and a piece of art) and going back to my roots... to Patek... there at least there is no bluff... you will know upfront what you can get and what you cannot get.

Fwiw, according to Pierre , the “wish list” is their version of a wait list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 12:48 AM   #728
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek_collector View Post

The wish list isn’t like a Rolex AD wish list. It’s the list of people they have in mind when allocations get finalized end of year. You should stay in touch. My contact was clear about my odds for getting confirmed and what to expect. At this point plan to wait 12 months minimum for any FPJ. Remember Patek historically makes more 5711 than Journe makes watches in a year by all accounts.

To be fair speedy gronefeld and MBF make incredible watches which are certainly better finished than Journe and are very much in demand…but not like Journe yet. Wouldn’t be surprised to see that change particularly with MBF who I think has that brand voice so many struggle to find.
Old 11 January 2022, 01:41 AM   #729
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The wish list isn’t like a Rolex AD wish list. It’s the list of people they have in mind when allocations get finalized end of year. You should stay in touch. My contact was clear about my odds for getting confirmed and what to expect. At this point plan to wait 12 months minimum for any FPJ. Remember Patek historically makes more 5711 than Journe makes watches in a year by all accounts.

To be fair speedy gronefeld and MBF make incredible watches which are certainly better finished than Journe and are very much in demand…but not like Journe yet. Wouldn’t be surprised to see that change particularly with MBF who I think has that brand voice so many struggle to find.
Yes, fair point. Even though Gronefeld and MB&F produce far fewer watches, the demand vs production ratio is still worse for FPJ. Having met the brothers twice and listened to almost every Max interview I could find, I don't think they would shift the way they conduct business. But, who honestly knows at this point.

Don't mind me though, I'm just bitter that I can't escape the hype in the independent space anymore.

Old 11 January 2022, 02:29 AM   #730
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Don't mind me though, I'm just bitter that I can't escape the hype in the independent space anymore.
Dude, love ya and all yet just move on. Look, i know it's sooooo not what you want to hear, or hear me say, yet at some point in life you have to ask yourself:

Is the hassle really worth it to your health and happiness... for just another watch??? (or anything material that can easily be bought and sold over and over again for that matter)

------

Been there, done that many years ago (not FPJ). As you said, there are a number of other truly exceptional pieces from various manufacturers. With all the emotional and cognitive stress you've chosen to put yourself through, dare i humbly suggest it is time to take a breath and ask yourself:

Is it really 'worth it'?

BTW this applies to many things materialistically in life.

My Personal Perspective: i'd gladly give up all this 'worthless cr@p' back in a 1000000th of a second to get my brother back (alive). i'd VERY quickly give it all up if it would end the brutal dictatorship we see in places globally and end the politics of oil.

Dare i ask, what would you give it all up for? Kinda puts things in perspective, maybe?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 03:38 AM   #731
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Dude, love ya and all yet just move on. Look, i know it's sooooo not what you want to hear, or hear me say, yet at some point in life you have to ask yourself:

Is the hassle really worth it to your health and happiness... for just another watch??? (or anything material that can easily be bought and sold over and over again for that matter)

------

Been there, done that many years ago (not FPJ). As you said, there are a number of other truly exceptional pieces from various manufacturers. With all the emotional and cognitive stress you've chosen to put yourself through, dare i humbly suggest it is time to take a breath and ask yourself:

Is it really 'worth it'?

BTW this applies to many things materialistically in life.

My Personal Perspective: i'd gladly give up all this 'worthless cr@p' back in a 1000000th of a second to get my brother back (alive). i'd VERY quickly give it all up if it would end the brutal dictatorship we see in places globally and end the politics of oil.

Dare i ask, what would you give it all up for? Kinda puts things in perspective, maybe?
I'm just messing around regarding me being bitter. I'm really not stressing over any of it. Like I said before, I'm just leaving my name on the lists with zero anticipation of getting anything. I moved on to other brands years ago.

Regarding putting this all in perspective, you are 100% right. This is why I don't really bother with brands/watches that have a ton of hype. It sucks the fun out of what is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby. If you look at my sig, you'll see my collection is devoid of Rolex, AP, Patek, Journe. I love finding diamonds in the rough.

Just me personally, the more popular and hyped something becomes, the less attractive it is to me. That is why I honestly don't mind if I never touch a CB again. I was only chiming into this thread to shed light on FPJ practices and how (despite what they claim) they are no better than others.

Old 11 January 2022, 03:52 AM   #732
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270g

Let’s get some wrist shots going again!
ChaseATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 04:26 AM   #733
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is why I don't really bother with brands/watches that have a ton of hype. It sucks the fun out of what is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby.
Amen.

(Deep sigh) And we hung out and truly knew our ADs. They were local, we didn't have to drive five hours each way.

Bob at Panerai in Naples has never met me, yet after a nice phone chat he agreed to allocate a 1118 when it was first announced. I'm having a blast with TRON and love creating themed pics with it. Bob has always been a joy to call and chat with.

I love your anti-hype collection. Recently, I've been 'trolling' the sub $1k stuff and having a GREAT time! Heck, my Muse/wife adores her new copper dial timepiece from Dumoreau. Looks like a passion play by a talented designer.

Ah well, we can always remember the good old days... as we perceived them.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11 January 2022, 05:01 AM   #734
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Amen.

(Deep sigh) And we hung out and truly knew our ADs. They were local, we didn't have to drive five hours each way.

Bob at Panerai in Naples has never met me, yet after a nice phone chat he agreed to allocate me a 1118 when it was first announced. I'm having a blast with TRON and love creating themed pics with it. Bob has always been a joy to call and chat with.

I love your anti-hype collection. Recently, I've been 'trolling' the sub $1k stuff and having a GREAT time! Heck, my Muse/wife adores her new copper dial timepiece from Domreau. Looks like a passion play by a talented designer.

Ah well, we can always remember the good old days... as we perceived them.
You never know you're in the good old days until they're gone. Love that your wife is getting into the hobby as well. Mine is wading into the waters as well. Haha

One great thing about this current state of affairs is the influx of micro independents. Really love seeing their passion and innovation. I just picked up a Trilobe Nuit, fantastic watch for the money with a movement built from the ground up in conjunction with Chronode (make movements for Czapek and others).

Brands like Baltic, Trask, Santory Billard seemingly coming out of nowhere with great offerings at extremely affordable prices.

Small, family owned brands like Habring and Gronefeld.

Brands like Trilobe and Hagid offering unique takes on time telling and case design.

There are so many options to keep this hobby interesting for everyone. Who knows, maybe this is the good old days. It's certainly a golden age for innovation.

Old 11 January 2022, 05:01 AM   #735
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, fair point. Even though Gronefeld and MB&F produce far fewer watches, the demand vs production ratio is still worse for FPJ. Having met the brothers twice and listened to almost every Max interview I could find, I don't think they would shift the way they conduct business. But, who honestly knows at this point.

I hear you. End of the day you can remain ahead of the curve because you’re not afraid to lose money on a watch and that’s what separates a WIS from a wanker in todays environment
Old 11 January 2022, 06:04 AM   #736
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There are so many options to keep this hobby interesting for everyone. Who knows, maybe this is the good old days. It's certainly a golden age for innovation.
Agreed, never seen so many passion plays and innovations now coming to market. Oh my, you might be on to something!

Old 11 January 2022, 07:02 AM   #737
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I hear you. End of the day you can remain ahead of the curve because you’re not afraid to lose money on a watch and that’s what separates a WIS from a wanker in todays environment
to that amigo. People should follow their heart in this hobby more, it's more fun and leads to great, eclectic collections like yours

Quote:
Agreed, never seen so many passion plays and innovations now coming to market. Oh my, you might be on to something!
Exciting times for sure!

Old 11 January 2022, 12:57 PM   #738
kohuti02
Banned

Watch: 5130P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseATX View Post

Let’s get some wrist shots going again!
Indeed!

IMG_3533.jpeg

IMG_3539.jpeg
kohuti02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 12:38 AM   #739
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Delivery from August last year. New moon phase is great!
Old 12 January 2022, 04:46 AM   #740
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Old 12 January 2022, 02:44 PM   #741
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Working late :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 02:42 PM   #742
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
My old Octa Lune. One of my favorites.

sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 10:57 PM   #743
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Working late :/

Fabulous

Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 11:09 PM   #744
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
My old Octa Lune. One of my favorites.

Man, that’s amazing, that’s very near the top of my wishlist, even with the newer, in my eyes less attractive dial they have today. But that older version, that’s just perfection

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 11:33 PM   #745
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Man, that’s amazing, that’s very near the top of my wishlist, even with the newer, in my eyes less attractive dial they have today. But that older version, that’s just perfection

Fabulous watch and fabulous photos

Old 14 January 2022, 12:32 AM   #746
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Off all my Journes, this is the one I usually grab the most. Highly recommend to anyone interested in the brand.
Old 14 January 2022, 12:43 AM   #747
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Off all my Journes, this is the one I usually grab the most. Highly recommend to anyone interested in the brand.

Gorgeous. Wear it in good health

Old 14 January 2022, 08:07 AM   #748
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've actually been thinking of picking up one on the grey market. The problem is none of the trusted sellers have one and idk what the market price is anymore on these lol.

Regardless, that is probably the nicest picture of a CO that I've seen so far and my ideal strap combo.
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 01:58 AM   #749
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Does anyone know what the list price is for platinum CS? Being offered one by a friend but don't know how much over retail his offer is.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 02:14 AM   #750
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Who has a 'Secret Society' piece? The society and marketing moves by FPJ are brilliant!