The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2022, 08:01 PM   #61
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Name a competitor that can offer all this:
- Reliability
- Accuracy (ok Grand Seiko wins this round, ha ha)
- Water resistance
- Classic good looks (GS loses this one)
- Great bracelet/clasp design
- Value retention

Not seeing the 'step up' from anyone. Tudor/Omega homage models don't count. No one else has anything comparable in their catalog. GS would be interesting but only on paper - their "design language" is far too dainty IMO. Omega is off in the weeds. Anyone talking about Breitling or Tag will get tarred & feathered.
Almost every other watch manufacturer offers these things. Value retention is BS if you buy it to use as intended then that is where the value truly is. I could argue objectively that a g-shock /timex/suunto/seiko et al are functionally better watches than Rolex. But the reason we buy Rolex is probably more subjective.
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2022, 08:55 PM   #62
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
Almost every other watch manufacturer offers these things. Value retention is BS if you buy it to use as intended then that is where the value truly is. I could argue objectively that a g-shock /timex/suunto/seiko et al are functionally better watches than Rolex. But the reason we buy Rolex is probably more subjective.
Agree. Any watch you like is a watch worth owing for both the love of wearing it and the utility value. The price shouldn't come into it really, we like what we like, we buy what we can justify, what is luxury to some is disposable to others.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2022, 11:46 PM   #63
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air King Dan View Post

If we want to buy at RRP (MSRP), then we have to ensure that the secondary market cools somewhat. This maybe contentious but seems quite obvious to me. Thoughts please and be kind.
And how do we "ensure" that?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 01:47 AM   #64
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
I would be MORTIFIED if a stranger saw what I was wearing, asked the time, and had to tell them it was incorrect.

It's like having a woman wear a VVS 10ct diamond and have it caked in 10-day old suntan lotion.

What's the damn point?

Nobody has asked me the time in 10 years…
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 02:13 AM   #65
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Instead of saying “people shouldn’t buy grey,” it should be “stop liking these watches.”
Isn’t this all driven by demand? If that goes away then it all goes back to normal. Because given current production Grey is they only way some people are getting the watch they want.
I’m not going to begrudge someone this Avenue if they really want a Rolex. And I’m not going to judge whether some people’s reasons for wanting the watch are less valid than someone else’s. Too much gatekeeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 July 2022, 03:42 AM   #66
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
And how do we "ensure" that?
By refusing to pay rip off grey prices !
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 11:40 PM   #67
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
By refusing to pay rip off grey prices !
Hmmm. Well now there's a refreshing and novel point of view we haven't heard before.

But wait. All of us have been free to do just that very thing all along...but, unless I'm mistaken, it hasn't ensured anything, has it?

Just curious if there's an actual solution or just another thread beating the same damn dead horse.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 11:48 PM   #68
Jay2101
"TRF" Member

I wonder if chicks on a Hermes forum whine and moan about secondary prices on Birkin bags.

Tapatalk を使用して私の CPH1943 から送信
Jay2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 12:33 AM   #69
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmm. Well now there's a refreshing and novel point of view we haven't heard before.

But wait. All of us have been free to do just that very thing all along...but, unless I'm mistaken, it hasn't ensured anything, has it?

Just curious if there's an actual solution or just another thread beating the same damn dead horse.
Hi Larry , I would guess the vast majority on this forum would agree with you ( my view on grey market and how they acquire watches must be in minority ) Sorry if I am beating a dead horse
Old 16 July 2022, 12:34 AM   #70
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2101 View Post
I wonder if chicks on a Hermes forum whine and moan about secondary prices on Birkin bags.

Only thing is a Birkin won't give you the time
Old 16 July 2022, 12:35 AM   #71
Jay2101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Only thing is a Birkin won't give you the time
But you can carry something inside that does

Jay2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 02:24 AM   #72
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air King Dan View Post
This thread has gone slightly off topic. The discussion I proposed was, do we buy grey or do we want to buy at RRP/MSRP for new Rolex watches, as it appear we can't have both options.
You understand the grey market in nothing more than used watch dealers when it comes to Rolex. When you buy from an on-line seller you are buying a used Rolex watch with the warranty running in someone else's name. The only exception to this would be where the pre-owned seller is brokering new watches through an AD which AD holds back the cards and forwards them on when a sale is made. I know this has happened in the past, but I doubt it occurs much at all anymore with so risk on the AD's status. Think about it for a moment, if an AD sells to the used market, no one has any risk to take but the AD. Plus, there are so many loose ends, the re-seller, its employees, and the ultimate purchaser, all of whom can tip off Rolex. Thus, over time the AD has no bargaining room and is really at the mercy of the used market. It makes far better sense for an AD to sell to real customers for these reasons, inventory flies out the door upon receipt, hot models can be sold as bundled deals with other slow-moving products and the AD can attract and hold huge "whale" collectors being able to supply them with the hot models.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 03:45 AM   #73
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Definitely the latter.

“Everybody but me needs to stop demanding these watches so I can get them easier”
Old 16 July 2022, 09:25 PM   #74
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2101 View Post
But you can carry something inside that does

Obviously when your out with your Birkin , thats what you do !