The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 September 2022, 12:01 AM   #1
scundo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
New To Forum/New To Rolex Ownership

Greetings,
I was gifted a vintage 14K Oyster Perpetual by my father in-law. It has the Bombei' lugs and sunburst silver face. It appears white but under a loupe you can see the detail and color. The font, indices and hands I have not been able to approximately date with simple Google searches and comparisons. Eventually it will go in to be serviced but I'm impatient and just want to know more about this beautiful piece. It's in incredible condition. It was a gift from his parents to him probably in the late 60's. He doesn't remember exactly. My father in law just turned 90 and has been a watch enthusiast his entire adult life (as am I). He wears a modern 40mm Day/Date in yellow gold with a white dial and Roman numerals. When I turned 45 (I'm 53 now) he gifted me his vintage 1973 Omega Speedmaster Mark III. He knows I will keep the watches in the family but most of all, he wants me to wear them and enjoy them. Which I enthusiastically do. If anybody has an idea the approximate time frame this watch was made, I would be very grateful. I'm hoping it's 1969 because that's my birth year :). Thanks and looking forward to being a member of the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0632.jpg (280.3 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0627.jpg (273.6 KB, 222 views)
scundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 12:13 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum, its a beautiful piece! Wear that heilroom in great health.
With the bombay lugs it will be hard to age since you wont find the serial number between the lugs. Is anything stamped on the outside of the case back? You may have to wait until the case back is unscrewed to see if a date is stamped on the inside of the case back. Based on the style of the hands and the dial, they will be from the mid 60s all the way through to the late 70s. That is, if the hands have not been changed out at a prior service.
Old 28 September 2022, 04:11 AM   #3
scundo
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much. The only marking I was able to find on the case was the squirrel hallmark indicating that it's 14K gold. So, yes, looks like I'm waiting. Not a problem. Thank you for the quick feedback!!! Take care.
Old 28 September 2022, 06:01 AM   #4
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Welcome!
Old 28 September 2022, 08:15 AM   #5
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Love those lugs.

Oh, and be very welcome to the forum!
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 10:40 PM   #6
scundo
"TRF" Member

Thanks everybody! I was able to find the model and serial using a powerful lupe. Model 1011 and the serial number puts it around late 1962.
Old 28 September 2022, 10:56 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 06:01 PM   #8
Azur
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on this beauty
Azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 09:16 PM   #9
scundo
"TRF" Member

Question on case finish and other musings......

Thanks again for the kind words of welcome. Does anyone know what the original case finish (polished/brushed) is supposed to be on this watch? It has been completely polished and my gut tells me the sides of the case along with the center of the case-back and lug backs should have a brushed finish. When I get it serviced I might ask the watchmaker to restore that finish. So after 7 days, I'm absolutely in love with it and it rarely leaves my wrist. By night, I'm a rock n roll guitar player and I play almost every weekend somewhere. I don't wear it to gigs. I'm a watch guy though so I have to have something on my wrist :) For gigs, I wear a nice and light Luminox 3001 beater on a velcro strap. Sometimes the clubs are located in, well, not the greatest parts of town. Once I get home, the OP goes right back on. I've always been partial to vintage 34 - 36mm watches. I have a perfect 1963 Bulova Sea King that I wear a lot. I have a 2005 Speedy Moon Watch and my father in law's 73 Mark III Speedy. Big watches. I love them because the Speedmaster was always my first love. A smaller 36mm looks much better on my ~7" wrist though. My Rolex "grail" is a vintage 36mm DD in yellow gold with a silver dial. On the President bracelet would be nice but not a requirement. I actually enjoy a comfy leather strap more and it allows the watch to fly under the radar a little easier. When my father in law was in the hospital for a week, he insisted I wear is 40mm DD until he got out. Every time I went to visit I was terrified I was going to be mugged going from the parking garage to the hospital due to the 38,000 hanging from my wrist