The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 September 2022, 09:58 AM   #121
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Buddy got quoted a late 2027 delivery. He is obviously passing. Kind of ridiculous to wait 5 years for a watch with a big downpayment. I don't care who is making it.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 10:08 AM   #122
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Another New Grönefeld?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Buddy got quoted a late 2027 delivery. He is obviously passing. Kind of ridiculous to wait 5 years for a watch with a big downpayment. I don't care who is making it.

Agree. It’s basically an interest free bank loan at that time frame .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 10:45 AM   #123
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What about voutilainen? Then again it would be exactly how I want it
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 10:52 AM   #124
Pdg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I think there are a few differences, I also didn’t think Voutilainen was on a 5 year wait. My two biggest differences:

1) you get exactly what you want with Kari
2) it feels like Gronefeld is continuing to release more products without being able to meet current demand. Kari might be doing that too, but it doesn’t seem that way (or maybe I haven’t kept up with what is going on). It is a bit tough to have the principia orders shutdown, release a $150k chronograph (with long wait time and now closed order) and then quickly turn around with this and quote 4-5 year waits. It’s fine if they are just pulling forward a lot of demand anyway, but I think for those waiting for a time piece it seems like the efforts are being put into new products without being able to meet current demand. I also think you lose momentum when you throw out a $150k watch that you can’t get for years.

I understand trying to take advantage of the environment, it makes a lot of sense. I just can’t get myself to get excited about something like this (especially with the wait).
Pdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 11:04 AM   #125
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Kari got backed up, number of orders exploded and with the relaunch of UJ not sure specific timelines was told not to realistically expect it for 4-5 years. I didn't proceed because of that. The deltaworks 5 year wait I was quoted actually made me think I'd much rather do the voutilainen custom order than that.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 11:52 AM   #126
Pdg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Kari got backed up, number of orders exploded and with the relaunch of UJ not sure specific timelines was told not to realistically expect it for 4-5 years. I didn't proceed because of that. The deltaworks 5 year wait I was quoted actually made me think I'd much rather do the voutilainen custom order than that.
Interesting, I didn’t realize it was that long of a wait. I think I waited 5-6 months (can’t remember now) for my allocation and then 9-10 months for the build. I can also see how people could think the UJ project is taking away from KV’s focus (although I wouldn’t think so, but the perception could be there).
Pdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 11:57 AM   #127
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Echoing others, Kari is VERY custom and lots of handcrafting. For something more modest, there's also Torsti Laine. Personally, I love how many great independents there are, all of them. It wasn't like this in 1995, or 2005....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 01:04 PM   #128
thekman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As others have said at least with Kari it's your own piece unique. I think it also depends on your financial situation and your own tastes and wether they tend to change.

I can't guarantee that I would be interested in any watch in 5 years. I also wouldn't tie up so much money for such an extended period of time. For some people these are not deal breakers.

I actually had an opportunity to get an LM101 last year. Delivery was promised in 2-2.5 years with a 50% downpayment but I could not go through with it as it felt like an eternity.

Old 10 September 2022, 03:07 PM   #129
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not thrilled with Kari's 30% deposit either but I'm okay with it. No offense to Gronefeld but I don't see those as comparable.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 04:20 PM   #130
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I did say they jumped the shark. And that was before we knew about lead times and deposit. This is the interest-free bank loan any entrepreneur will dream off while putting all the risk of your operations on your customers. Seems like some of these independents have lost touch with reality.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 09:16 PM   #131
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one who doesn’t like the delta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 10:52 PM   #132
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I actually had an opportunity to get an LM101 last year. Delivery was promised in 2-2.5 years with a 50% downpayment but I could not go through with it as it felt like an eternity.
Hmmmm... in November 2021 WoS was 10% down and ~1.4 year wait for the LM101 Willy Wonka. Hoping she arrives March 2023

I think WoS max down payment is 10% so that is far more reasonable imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11 September 2022, 01:42 AM   #133
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Hmmmm... in November 2021 WoS was 10% down and ~1.4 year wait for the LM101 Willy Wonka. Hoping she arrives March 2023

I think he’s referencing the wait for SS. I too was quoted like 6-12 months with 50% down direct with MBF. Now It’s just much different of course.
Old 11 September 2022, 04:30 AM   #134
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchristic View Post
Am I the only one who doesn’t like the delta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re definitely not alone in feeling that way. I feel like it’s a step backwards for the brand. It’s just very boring to me. I really want a Principia but they aren’t taking any new orders and I find it frustrating that part of the reason for that is so they could focus on the DeltaWorks.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 04:45 AM   #135
thekman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I wish I went through WoS at the time. As GB-Man mentioned I had asked MB&F directly and was quoted a 2-2.5 year wait with 50% down for steel. I still love the watch but couldn't tie up so much money for 2.5 years. I would have 100% done it if they had asked for 10%.

Old 5 October 2022, 09:48 AM   #136
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

With the new exchange rate, this watch just got cheaper?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2022, 10:46 AM   #137
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
With the new exchange rate, this watch just got cheaper?

Ironically the rate is exactly the same today as the day this thread was started…parity to USD anyways.
Old 27 October 2022, 12:45 PM   #138
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Has anybody had an order confirmed with a reasonable delivery date on the DeltaWorks? Sounded like a lot of folks bailed after the long wait time.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 04:19 PM   #139
Bloomberg
"TRF" Member

I want to highlight something.
By paying 30% of a big amount to a small company and waiting 5 years, you are facing a default risk.
We are in recession and 2023 will be difficult.
If they make default, you will not get your money neither your watch.
Bloomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 09:34 PM   #140
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

That is true, however they have a confirmed order book with revenue for at least a few years, probably 3-4, and I presume they are making money so I don't think they will have any issues as long as they keep making watches. They don't make that many watches, and even with hard times, I don't think everyone will cancel their orders.

That is not to say they can't pull a disappearing act and vanish for whatever reason. While possible, it also seems unlikely. They have worked to hard for that, I think.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 09:41 PM   #141
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

It’s a non zero risk for sure but my issue was more with the watch itself and waiting 3 years. It’s a really fun piece but not something I was blown away by and willing to wait that long for. Next summer sure but winter 2025 heck no.
Old 28 October 2022, 01:51 PM   #142
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Still can't order anything on their site, looks like they are covered up with orders.

Old 31 December 2022, 06:35 AM   #143
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like at some point recently Gronefeld quietly updated the price of the steel Principia from 33.5k euros to just under $37k euros on their website. Still ~13k euros less than the Delta Works.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 02:56 PM   #144
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Still a bargain

Old 31 December 2022, 05:16 PM   #145
chet1022
"TRF" Member

didn’t realize Gronefeld was that hot on the market. I ordered another independent and it takes 18 months to deliver which sounds ok considering the handwork and allows me to save up more. But 4-5 years… that is just outrageous.
chet1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 10:54 PM   #146
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1022 View Post
But 4-5 years… that is just outrageous.
If this was 1999 i'd agree with you Chet. Even in 2005 would agree.

But this is 2023 and a five-year wait for a TRUE independent HAND MADE timepiece from Gronefeld / Kari / etc sounds about right. Hey, there's always the <sarc> 1960s Holy Trinity </sarc> brands, very easy to get those (greys have very deep stock of whatever you desire).

Personally, am hoping to be in a position to commission Kari for a piece in 2023 for who knows when delivery.

Old 1 January 2023, 12:47 AM   #147
chet1022
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But this is 2023 and a five-year wait for a TRUE independent HAND MADE timepiece from Gronefeld / Kari / etc sounds about right. Hey, there's always the <sarc> 1960s Holy Trinity </sarc> brands, very easy to get those (greys have very deep stock of whatever you desire).

Personally, am hoping to be in a position to commission Kari for a piece in 2023 for who knows when delivery.
Maybe that is the case for Kari/Gronefeld/Akrivia etc. After all, knowing people are craving for opportunities to pay pre-order money do give confidence to the long wait and there always are rich guys around.

But financially speaking, people are buying watches not planes or vessels that needs installment plans, so either one pay a small portion upfront and get the watch with reasonable wait or just get waitlisted with no down payment imho. I believe there are alternative independents that offers equivalent value to be appreciated.
chet1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 04:06 AM   #148
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree Chet. But that is the current situation.

Thankfully there are quite a few alternatives, and 'new kids' some of us are only now becoming aware of. Imho someone desperately needs to produce an online site dedicated to them. Could even feature a few schools / teachers.... A combo of education, celebrations of the craft, and of course the people and their passions.

We live during VERY exciting times during the many facets of horology imho.

PS: Torsti Laine's fine timepieces have a 'reasonable' wait last I heard, and he provides a very customizable auto and manual wind.

PPS: Thankfully there are waitlists to some degree. Horology had some tough times over the decades. Some of these smaller watchmakers truly put in 100% of their heart and soul with complete commitment. Said another way, they live or die by their talent and passion.

Old 1 January 2023, 08:32 AM   #149
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But this is 2023 and a five-year wait for a TRUE independent HAND MADE timepiece from Gronefeld / Kari / etc sounds about right. Hey, there's always the &lt;sarc&gt; 1960s Holy Trinity &lt;/sarc&gt; brands, very easy to get those (greys have very deep stock of whatever you desire).

Current delivery date for Kari is 2027. So I guess you may be looking at 2028 if things do not get worse. And add in some expected delay, it can be 2029.

Mine was originally quoted for 1H 2024 when I ordered late 2021, then confirmed for possible 1H 2025 when deposit was made, and now is 2H 2025.

My AD told me he has one piece which came in 10 years after the order was made. But it was a special piece which is a Tourbillion so I guess it was worth the wait. And the price was locked for 10 years which is beyond fair.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 09:01 AM   #150
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

2030 is fine. Gosh, you guys and instant gratification.

Ok, not so instant but I remember Kari back around 2000 so on TZ... it's been over 20 years. What's another 7 or 8 in the scheme of things?

Look fwd to your wrist pics, bravo!