The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 June 2022, 04:20 AM   #91
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
I have an appointment tomorrow at 3pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 04:35 AM   #92
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Btw, i bought today the new Tudor 58 in blue at the Paris AD. Very nice watch to wear.

Old 1 June 2022, 04:47 AM   #93
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
I have an appointment tomorrow at 3pm

Good luck.
FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 06:34 AM   #94
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Btw, i bought today the new Tudor 58 in blue at the Paris AD. Very nice watch to wear.
Looking good! But oh the anticipation for the verdict on the GMT. Good luck! I'm leaning towards rare and original.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 08:44 AM   #95
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Getting excited!

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 12:04 PM   #96
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Good luck in getting any sleep. WOW this has me Sleepless Good luck Eric hope it works out. Either way, it is a beauty and what a pleasure to wear. The best of luck to you
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 10:34 PM   #97
Erpin
"TRF" Member

I just came from the Heritage Department and their technician took the watch for close inspection. After which he informed me that they will accept my watch for a thorough inspection and a service quote. I informed him that i only want a movement overhaul and not to do anything with the cosmetic appearance of the watch. I inquired about the dial and he said they don’t have a silver on their data base so mine could be a special order. He added that he will not accept the watch for a quotation if he sees any part that is counterfeit. Quotation will be emailed in 2 weeks.

During inspection

Acceptance letter of Rolex

Old 1 June 2022, 11:02 PM   #98
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

That's unfortunate, "could be a special order" is not a very strong endorsement. Since you are already leaving the watch with them, I think it would be greatly preferable to have an actual letter of authentication for the dial from Rolex, even if there is an extra charge for the research.

The notion that it is "authentic by default" if they accept it for service will always leave uncertainty, because we know of many examples of watches with questionable parts that have been serviced by Rolex. Personally, if I were a potential buyer, I would not accept the fact that it had been serviced by Rolex as equivalent to an authentication.
Old 1 June 2022, 11:03 PM   #99
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I just came from the Heritage Department and their technician took the watch for close inspection. After which he informed me that they will accept my watch for a thorough inspection and a service quote. I informed him that i only want a movement overhaul and not to do anything with the cosmetic appearance of the watch. I inquired about the dial and he said they don’t have a silver on their data base so mine could be a special order. He added that he will not accept the watch for a quotation if he sees any part that is counterfeit. Quotation will be emailed in 2 weeks.

During inspection

Acceptance letter of Rolex

That sounds like great news!

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 11:41 PM   #100
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
That's unfortunate, "could be a special order" is not a very strong endorsement. Since you are already leaving the watch with them, I think it would be greatly preferable to have an actual letter of authentication for the dial from Rolex, even if there is an extra charge for the research.
"Could be a special order" shows that the OP most likely did not speak to a vintage expert at Rolex in Acacias (Geneva), but to a Rolex watchmaker at the reception, where the OP took the shown photo. Normally their statements (vintage experts) are much more careful. At the HQ they don't deliver letters of authentication, I tried without success for a valuable vintage watch in 2020.

Quote:
The notion that it is "authentic by default" if they accept it for service will always leave uncertainty, because we know of many examples of watches with questionable parts that have been serviced by Rolex.
I agree that "authentic by default" is a meaningless saying if it comes from some RSC, but not from Geneva HQ. They very carefully check such a delicate and probably valuable watch before they offer a service quote, and this takes some time!

Quote:
Personally, if I were a potential buyer, I would not accept the fact that it had been serviced by Rolex as equivalent to an authentication.
I tend to disagree, if such a special watch was serviced by Rolex HQ in Geneva it is the best authentication you can find, imho. I trust them more than "original papers" or any other source.

What would worry me more is the claim that a "quotation will be emailed in 2 weeks". Based on my experience, this seems by far too short to perform an extensive inspection of such a special watch, which would take at least about 2 months in Geneva.

What is very good is the customer request, i.e. the list of things Rolex should NOT touch or do. This is very important.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 11:46 PM   #101
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:

The notion that it is "authentic by default" if they accept it for service will always leave uncertainty, because we know of many examples of watches with questionable parts that have been serviced by Rolex. Personally, if I were a potential buyer, I would not accept the fact that it had been serviced by Rolex as equivalent to an authentication.
The difference here, however, is that this is the Rolex Heritage Department, which deals specifically with vintage and presumably has much more expertise. This isn't a random RSC that might have missed a fake bezel insert on a vintage Sub they serviced.

While perhaps not definitive proof of complete authenticity, the fact that they have accepted the watch for service is at a minimum a very good sign for Eric.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 11:48 PM   #102
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I tend to disagree, if such a special watch was serviced by Rolex HQ in Geneva it is the best authentication you can find, imho. I trust them more than "original papers" or any other source.
As long as there are buyers like you who would trust the service as equivalent to an authentication, then I guess it is good enough.
Old 2 June 2022, 12:01 AM   #103
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The difference here, however, is that this is the Rolex Heritage Department, which deals specifically with vintage and presumably has much more expertise. This isn't a random RSC that might have missed the fact that a vintage Sub they serviced had a fake bezel insert.
You are absolutely right on this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
While perhaps not definitive proof of complete authenticity, the fact that they have accepted the watch for service is at a minimum a very good sign for Eric.
They have not yet accepted the watch for service! An expert will very carefully and in all detail inspect the watch. Only if everything is authentic then Rolex HQ will provide a service quote.
Old 2 June 2022, 12:03 AM   #104
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The problem with Rolex is they don’t issue extract of archives or authentication letters because i inquired about. Accepting the watch for servicing or restoration is more than enough for them to tell you ( but not in writing ) that the watch is original. I guess it gives them an “ escape clause “ just in case they need it.

Old 2 June 2022, 12:20 AM   #105
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"Could be a special order" shows that the OP most likely did not speak to a vintage expert at Rolex in Acacias (Geneva), but to a Rolex watchmaker at the reception, where the OP took the shown photo. Normally their statements (vintage experts) are much more careful. At the HQ they don't deliver letters of authentication, I tried without success for a valuable vintage watch in 2020.

I agree that "authentic by default" is a meaningless saying if it comes from some RSC, but not from Geneva HQ. They very carefully check such a delicate and probably valuable watch before they offer a service quote, and this takes some time!

What would worry me more is the claim that a "quotation will be emailed in 2 weeks". Based on my experience, this seems by far too short to perform an extensive inspection of such a special watch, which would take at least about 2 months in Geneva.

What is very good is the customer request, i.e. the list of things Rolex should NOT touch or do. This is very important.

I am sure it will take them a few months for a quotation. My other watch took them 8 months to come up with a quotation!

Old 2 June 2022, 12:31 AM   #106
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are absolutely right on this part.

They have not yet accepted the watch for service! An expert will very carefully and in all detail inspect the watch. Only if everything is authentic then Rolex HQ will provide a service quote.

That is the process. Someone first inspect the watch and if he is satisfied, he will accept it for a service quote where they will do a more diligent check of every part of the watch. Once it passes the stringent inspection, they will then issue a service quote. So I will just have to wait for a bit more i guess.

Old 2 June 2022, 01:05 AM   #107
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is the process. Someone first inspect the watch and if he is satisfied, he will accept it for a service quote where they will do a more diligent check of every part of the watch. Once it passes the stringent inspection, they will then issue a service quote. So I will just have to wait for a bit more i guess.
100 %. I see we both know by experience how it is done for such very nice and valuable vintage watches at Rolex HQ
In contrast to the other guy with his arrogant answer above
Old 2 June 2022, 01:54 AM   #108
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
100 %. I see we both know by experience how it is done for such very nice and valuable vintage watches at Rolex HQ
If you are referring to me, I find your comment offensive and inappropriate. I was simply expressing my own personal opinion about the relative value of a Rolex service vs. written authentication, and subsequently noting that if potential buyers find the Rolex service sufficient, then it is de facto sufficient. You and others may agree or disagree (as Eric and Aaron did). However, there is no question that it's preferable to express your own opinion without denigrating the opinions of other, and it's certainly not appropriate to call people names simply because they expressed an opinion.
Old 2 June 2022, 03:14 AM   #109
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
I personally do not think "the other guy's" response is offensive or arrogant. As an avid collector and very knowledgeable contributor to this forum his point is valid and was not conveyed in a rude or arrogant manner. Not that he needs me to defend his opinion but I will provide my own example.

I have a Tiffany branded GMT 1675/3 that my father purchased new from Tiffany in the early 1970s. My father told me straight out that he threw away the box and all the other stuff almost immediately after purchase. I don't have a receipt, nor do the previous services on this watch mention Tiffany & Co. dial. At one point two years ago I was considering having the watch serviced by Rolex. They required "authentication" prior to service and sent it out for a month to their Lititiz, PA facility. It came back with a service estimate with required and optional services, again with no mention of the Tiffany stamp. They don't describe the dial I was told.

The service estimate, while fine for many Rolex collectors or buyers to authenticate the watch as all Rolex parts, I have found is still not acceptable for the more critical collectors. Regardless of the authentication by Rolex or the service estimate, avid collectors would still see the watch dial as potentially fake because I do not have the receipt from Tiffany. I thought the authentication would help with the provenance of the watch, and that is the case for many but not all. There will always be a nagging doubt of authenticity from many hardcore collectors. It is what it is… and you taking offense to the comments is not warranted IMHO.

Still, this is a very interesting thread on an obviously rare watch and I will continue to follow this thread with high hopes that Eric's watch passes Geneva HQ's stringent examination. That said, I find it highly unlikely definitive proof will ever be given by Rolex. They just don't do that.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 03:42 AM   #110
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I hope they dont include a new dial in their quote... That could be a bad sign. You wouldn't know if its due to it being too old or because they claim it as Aftermarket. That's what RSC does, maybe Geneva is different.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 04:04 AM   #111
saxo3
"TRF" Member

My 1963 GMT 1675 with Silver Dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
I hope they dont include a new dial in their quote... That could be a bad sign. You wouldn't know if its due to it being too old or because they claim it as Aftermarket. That's what RSC does, maybe Geneva is different.
Yes, Geneva is different and I expect that Rolex HQ will not include a new dial in their service quote because the Rolex acceptance letter explicitely says that the customer does want that ("Do not replace dial").

Even if they would propose a new dial then the OP can and should refuse it. If they judge the dial to be fake or aftermarket then the OP would not receive a service offer but a different type of letter ...

I sincerely hope that all is right with this beautiful dial and the entire watch. I went through that process several times and know that the waiting time can be very long and painful.
Old 2 June 2022, 04:10 AM   #112
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
If they judge the dial to be fake or aftermarket then the OP would not receive a service offer but a different type of letter ...

Wouldn't they give him a service offer that mandates a dial swap?
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 04:18 AM   #113
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you are referring to me....
Yes, I received your answer (post #102) to me as an arrogant reply. If that was not intended from your side then I accept your explanations and propose to support this very interesting thread together in a friendly approach, with mutual respect.
Old 2 June 2022, 04:28 AM   #114
saxo3
"TRF" Member

My 1963 GMT 1675 with Silver Dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
Wouldn't they give him a service offer that mandates a dial swap?
If the dial is authentic I think Rolex Geneva can propose but not force you to change the dial. But if they would identify any other issue (e.g. Radium as lume) then the situation could become a bit difficult.
Old 2 June 2022, 05:01 AM   #115
Erpin
"TRF" Member

For me its a risk worth taking because if i don’t do it, there will always be that nagging feeling inside me about the real provenance of the dial. If Rolex finally sends me a quotation, that is more than enough for me to put the issue to rest.

Old 2 June 2022, 04:55 PM   #116
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Good news! The first major hurdle is cleared!! ps I'd also include "Do not replace date disc" on that list just to be on the safe side, we all know how eager Rolex is to make "improvements" during service!!
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 06:21 PM   #117
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

During inspection
Nice. My RSC (Tokyo) has a very strict no-photography rule. I once took a snap in there on my iPhone, and a zealous security guard rushed over and demanded I delete it immediately.

Seems different RSCs may have different policies...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 06:24 PM   #118
Erpin
"TRF" Member

We were not allowed to take pictures too but my staff was able to sneak a few pics and videos.

Old 2 June 2022, 07:09 PM   #119
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
I follow with interest and wish Erpin good luck.

I wonder how Rolex would treat a genuine dial plate that had been restored or repainted? For example, one might consider a military “Burford” dial A/6538 or 5512.

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 07:35 PM   #120
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Good news! The first major hurdle is cleared!! ps I'd also include "Do not replace date disc" on that list just to be on the safe side, we all know how eager Rolex is to make "improvements" during service!!
Which major hurdle are you referring to David?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote