The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 September 2022, 03:12 AM   #1
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

VC Malte Perpetual Calendar

Hi everyone,

Just learning about this watch. On paper it seems very much what I’m after. A holy trinity perpetual calendar chronograph sub 40mm. I have small wrists so I actually think the size would be perfect for me. Slightly worried about the thickness. What are peoples opinions on this watch?

Not many around so be good to hear peoples thoughts. Thanks.

Old 14 September 2022, 03:19 AM   #2
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Looks beautiful but I believe it is a manual wind movement. I personally couldn't get a perpetual calendar that wasn't automatic.
MichelleP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 04:40 AM   #3
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Looks beautiful but I believe it is a manual wind movement. I personally couldn't get a perpetual calendar that wasn't automatic.
You are right. Manual wind. It’s already thick, but if it was automatic that would add even more.

Manual wind doesn’t bother me too much, but I can imagine a perpetual calendar manual wind would take a lot more setting up when it does run down. It would have to be worn as a daily. What’s the famous quote. The things you own start owning you.
Old 14 September 2022, 01:10 PM   #4
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

In case you didn’t see this, Tim Mossi just talked about this being a future collector’s item. See this video at 24:20:

https://youtu.be/J8-ibJ1qEfY

I thought it’s an interesting watch and definitely the cheapest way to get into a high-end perpetual chrono than say any PP or Lange. Tim thinks it will rise in value and if you know the PP 3970 that has way more than doubled over the last few years, you can argue that’s the right call. However, VC watches are generally viewed as less collectible so I’m less convinced.

Manual wound makes sense for this watch given that it’s a chrono. Just get a watch winder. I would go for a platinum though because the cost difference are relatively small and it’s likely more rare. My biggest challenge is the 16mm thickness that could be very imbalance with the 39mm case diameter so if I’m in the market for one, I would really want to handle it before pulling the trigger. Just IMHO.
Old 15 September 2022, 06:43 PM   #5
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Doesn‘t tim state in the video it is 13.8mm?
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 06:48 PM   #6
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

He states it in one of his review videos.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 02:27 AM   #7
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

You’re right. That’s definitely better.
Old 16 September 2022, 02:31 AM   #8
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
You are right. Manual wind. It’s already thick, but if it was automatic that would add even more.

Manual wind doesn’t bother me too much, but I can imagine a perpetual calendar manual wind would take a lot more setting up when it does run down. It would have to be worn as a daily. What’s the famous quote. The things you own start owning you.
I feel like this is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you do have to wind it every day. On the other hand, if you don't wear it every day, you'll be manually winding it frequently anyways and at least the parts on this are designed to be wound from the crown on a daily basis.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 02:42 AM   #9
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I feel like this is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you do have to wind it every day. On the other hand, if you don't wear it every day, you'll be manually winding it frequently anyways and at least the parts on this are designed to be wound from the crown on a daily basis.
I would keep in on a winder if it was automatic. I have a GO panomaticlunar that I keep on a winder.
MichelleP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 02:46 AM   #10
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
I would keep in on a winder if it was automatic. I have a GO panomaticlunar that I keep on a winder.
Touché. You probably have a way better winger than I ever did. Mine never worked quite right.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 07:54 PM   #11
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

If it is a deal breaker having to either wind or adjust the piece when you wear it then the piece had an optional winder when it was new. I expect these can still be found on the used market or indeed Buben & Zorweg offered a winder for manual watches. Personally I enjoy the process of setting complications.

The piece is amazing, a perfect size at 39mm and certainly has a design style all of its own including the beautiful Malte lugs and with possibly the best moon phase of virtually any watch with the hand engraved gold moon phase disc.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 08:57 PM   #12
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
If it is a deal breaker having to either wind or adjust the piece when you wear it then the piece had an optional winder when it was new. I expect these can still be found on the used market or indeed Buben & Zorweg offered a winder for manual watches. Personally I enjoy the process of setting complications.

The piece is amazing, a perfect size at 39mm and certainly has a design style all of its own including the beautiful Malte lugs and with possibly the best moon phase of virtually any watch with the hand engraved gold moon phase disc.

Amazing, thank you!

If I was to buy the watch on the used market, could I source the watch winder through an official VC AD?

It looks amazing...
Old 6 October 2022, 08:39 PM   #13
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Picked one up yesterday, a truly beautiful piece on the wrist and having the hunter back seems to make it a little more special. After 19 years decided to send it straight off to the VC spa for a service. Now the wait.
Old 6 October 2022, 09:36 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I don’t need any more acquisition targets boys. Shut this thread down lol

That moon!

Old 20 October 2022, 06:26 PM   #15
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

In the flesh, a stunning piece and a lovely compact size.

https://youtu.be/RyEW3gxvZAA

Another interesting review of the piece, 7 years old now and the price comparison to the PP5970 has gone from the 3x mentioned to more like 6x now.

https://youtu.be/IwPpq8bTVQU
Old 10 November 2022, 02:11 PM   #16
Justindo
"TRF" Member

This is a great watch, in either gold or platinum, and is a bargain compared to Patek counterparts, which are on par in terms of quality, but not price.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote