The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 October 2022, 05:02 PM   #1
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Zulu Time - Best GMT under 3k!

I’m a Tudor fan and I’ll probably pick up a BBPRO eventually being such a GMT fan.

Today though, I picked up this Longines ZT and I have to tell you , I’m blown away by the value. I was fortunate to get 18 percent off which it brought it to 2.5k on a bracelet. That is ridiculous value by any objective measure.

Pros - COSC certified, True GMT, respectable brand heritage and history, ceramic bezel, price, big easy to read Arabic numbers like a pilot watch should have.

Cons - size for many (43), male end links that protrude, date doesn’t change exactly at midnight, GMT hand seems to stutter a bit when jumping the hour, some don’t like the five stars.

Overall I’d rate the Tudor BBGMT and BBPRO higher quality, but considering Tudor isn’t discounted at the moment, these ZT’s come in a whopping 40 percent less, they are worth a look for those looking for a budget travelers GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 09:47 PM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Longines has been on a roll these past few years releasing great models. Congrats!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 11:57 PM   #3
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 12:39 AM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Good looking GMT, congrats!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 04:08 AM   #5
Guppydriver

Thanks all..

I was playing with the bezel action a little today. I stand by my assessment that both Tudor options seem built more stout. Of course they should considering the price (I've owned the BBGMT and have tried on the PRO).

I'm not paranoid per se about traveling with my 126710BLNR, but I am excited to not have to baby this GMT when I'm on the road. I'm usually compelled to kind of hide my Rolex when I'd work out at hotels or go for runs so it will be nice to just throw this on the desk and not worry too much about it.

I will say this, (like other examples) if you have your heart set on a BBGMT or BBPRO and are perhaps saving, although this ZT would be a way to scratch most of the itch whilst saving money, I would recommend holding out for the Tudor.

The Longines does offer more bang for your dollar (esp. considering discount), but the Tudor is a on a higher (albeit not much) level.
Old 2 October 2022, 07:00 AM   #6
Guppydriver

Few more pics comparing my GMT’s. 39, 40, 43

Old 2 October 2022, 11:20 AM   #7
dannyp
Banned

As someone with a strong field/pilot-style, sub-38mm bias and I consider the Longines Spirit 37 and Master Collection 34 pretty much the best value under $5,000 (possible exception of the Tudor 1926 36). Granted, there aren't too may pieces in that size range that are mechanical and without overly feminine dials, but I'd take those watches over the IWC Pilot 36, Breitling Chronomat/Navitimer, Baume Mercier Riviera 36, Rado Captain Cook/Golden Horse.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 07:26 PM   #8
fmc000
Banned

Really a nice looking watch, congrats. Unfortunately I have to agree with you, though: someone can't stand the 5 stars and the "Zulu Time" name (I am one of them). I undestand that they were needed to balance the dial against the brand and logo at 12.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 02:02 PM   #9
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I tried two of these (one on a bracelet and on on a strap) on recently and it's a great watch but it's too large for my wrist. The Tudor Black Bay GMT (bracelet or strap) is fine on my wrist, as the lugs are substantially shorter, so that's the route I'd personally go. In terms of quality, I think they're approximately in the same range, although I think the Tudor bracelet and bezel action is better. I'd personally pay the extra $1,000 for the Tudor because of the fit, the looks (I also don't like the five stars on the Longines), and better bezel action, but the date issue has not been fixed (either on the GMT or the Pro), so that would give me pause.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 10:54 PM   #10
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Congrats on the new watch! Excellent value for a true GMT, ceramic bezel, and more. I really like the Tudor's but for the long run prefer a watch with the ceramic bezel insert. You'll enjoy this for many years to come.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2022, 12:36 AM   #11
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I see those 5 stars more than anything. That would bug me.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote