The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 October 2022, 10:52 PM   #1
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
My Citizen Diver's

I am one to dive with a good watch and dive tables, using a dive computer only as a back up.

I only own dive watches and any watch I buy must be able to dive with me.

I have many years ago owned an NY0040 blue dial, but since I then started buying and wearing 'higher end' watches, it, along with other such as the Seiko Monsters & SKX were made redundant and found myself never wearing them. As such I moved them on.

Citizen by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

Fast forward to these last 3 or so years. The new dive watch releases which were doing nothing for me and some of the brands where ever departing from that classic, honest, tool dive watch design approach. This made me look at these true dive watch classics once again.

In fact I own an SKX007 & SKX009J on a Seiko OEM oyster and jubilee respectively, but have also found new found respect for the JP-2000 & the NY0040. They are a refreshing departure from brands ever increasing their retail prices for the same watches. In fact, you can still buy these watches at the prices they were being sold 10 years ago. Which for me, makes them an absolute steal. I have bought them while I still could, and have no intention of letting them go, apart from one JP-2000 maybe. I do not like having duplicate watches in my small collection. In fact I would also like to stay within 10 watches maximum and am at 12 Total at this time. Having said that, one has the engraved caseback, while the other (newer) only has a laser engraved one. I don't know which one I will keep yet.

I recently just bought the green bezel NY0040. I wanted this to somewhat dull the urge for a 16610LV. Many years ago I found one new at the local AD for 6K or 7K Euros I think at that time, but considered it to be expensive, and since it was the last one they had, they did not want to give me a small discount (which was normal at the time). I walked away. Today I know I made a huge mistake, but such is life. So this configuration mirrors that one a bit and it truly brings a smile to my face whenever I put it on.

I like the red highlights on the black dial NY0040 better, but I like the stark white lume on the green dial much more. It makes it very contrasting on that inky black dial. I also noticed that while the green bezel says 8203 on the dial, it says 8204 on the caseback, and houses the hacking 8204 inside. The black dial was one of the last NY0040 to be made, so it has blue lume on the hands, green lume on the dial markers and blue lume on the bezel pip. Very nice layout and never seen another like it. I like to see this mixing and matching on these watches by Citizen.

I am very glad of the new found respect I found for these watches, and owning 'better' watches should not detract from the pleasure of owning and better yet wearing and enjoying these magnificent more budget friendly watches.

In the future I would like to add one nice dress watch. I really like the new Citizen 0200 caliber and love the lines and dimensions of 'The Citizen' 0200 powered watch. I think it is somewhat too expensive though. Maybe I will find one used for a good discount in the future. We will see.

Took some photos for your viewing pleasure. I hope you like them as much as I enjoy wearing them
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2022, 11:13 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Very nice collection and great photos. I've only owned one Citizen (a vintage Leopard Super Beat) but will likely pick up a diver at some point. I have several Seiko divers and wear an SKX009J1 most days, but a Citizen would make a worthy addition. Thanks for sharing your collection
Old 6 October 2022, 04:45 AM   #3
fmc000
Banned

Very nice indeed. You really can't go wrong with Citizen diver's. Mine says hi!

fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2022, 09:28 AM   #4
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Great pictures, OP!
Old 6 October 2022, 11:16 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wonderful collection!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2022, 11:23 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Wonderful photography

Nice collection you have there. I admit I don’t know much about the brand, but they look like fantastic watches. I’m also a fan of the SKX
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2022, 11:38 AM   #7
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Very nice collection! This rabbit hole started for me quite a few years ago too. Theres something about the old aqualands that keeps me looking.

Sent from my balloon knot
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 11:21 PM   #8
SAKHR47
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5066j
So glad to read the OP, thanks!

I've been craving RO, PP, AP's for almost a decade now, and deep dived into the NY0040 rabit hole a year ago, when I got caught by the "full lume dial" frenzy a night of May 2022, stumbling upon on the Internet.

Bought a NY0040 full lume dial the next day, and just ordered & received the black version today, 1 year later.
I'm still blown away by the pleasure I have wearing NY0040, one year later. Which is almost more satisfying than all I have experienced with PP AP RO so far, each time I bought one of those.

I've tried to summarize What is so cool about those budget 200$ watches:

- You can pull the trigger easily. We're talking 200$, not 20k$, not even 2k$
- bracelet/nato/rubber game is cool. You don't feel bad using a non OEM on a 10/20/40K+ dollars watch.
- Feels good to rock a budget watch, not being afraid of scratching it, getting robbed, etc etc.
- The "nice watch" comments you gets make you REALLY happy and never uncomfortable (which can be the case with a PP etc. in some situations for example)
- Modding (custom hands, bezel, dials) is cool. it almost doesn't exist on the PP RO AP segment.
- A friend did like your watch? Gift it to him. WOW effect :) Just bought a NY0040 to a friend who's more budget concerned (2 kids etc.). Awsome gift
- Once you've stepped into the cool watches budget vibe, a new world opens to you: the budget vintage market. So many patina pieces that are 10/20/30 years old aged, that you can grab for less of a thousand dollars. It almost feels like unlocking a new secret chapter in Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid or Gran Turismo (00's vibe hehe).

I'll stop there as I'm not often commenting around but really digged the OP and was glad to share & spread the joy i got thanks to the NY0040 for a year now.

Find below a photo of my two beaters, and I'll throw a bottle at the sea here : I'm looking for a great "Marina Militare" NY0040, if by any chance anybody has that here and would consider selling :)

xx

SAKHR47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2023, 05:53 AM   #9
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Nice, I have always been tempted to buy the lume dial depth meter JP2007(?)

I think its one of the coolest looking dive watches out there.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2023, 04:12 PM   #10
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Agree with all the comments above I love wearing my NY0040 as much as my Submariner
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote