The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 9 September 2019, 10:10 AM   #1
Gipsy Danger
"TRF" Member

Introduction

Hello,

I’m Gipsy Danger and I’m excited to join the forum. I received my first watch, a Seiko 5, as a Christmas gift when I was 12. I’ve recently had it checked out and all is in order after being in a drawer at my parents house for approximately 30 years. My next watch was a Tag 1500 that I mowed yards for a summer to purchase. I’ve recently sent it to get serviced through Tag and I am very excited about getting it back.

The Tag was a daily wear until September 11, 2001 when the terrorist events made it necessary to clear metal detectors every time I entered my office building. I always struggled to be on time for that job and the Tag was quickly relegated to a drawer. Since 2001 I have used various blackberry, iPhones, etc to keep time.

About 6 months ago I became interested in having a watch again and started to look at all of the options. I dismissed Rolex out of hand as I thought, “that’s what everyone has.” I was encouraged to revisit the brand after some discussions with friends who are “watch people.” They talked me out of an IWC Portuguese and I decided that I needed the SS Sub Date, then ran headlong into the shortage.

I do not have an AD in my town, so I drove about an hour and half thinking I was coming home w my new watch. Hahahaha! I’m on a waitlist. A few weeks later and about a month ago, I convinced my wife to go with me to another AD that was about the same distance away. We really hit it off with the staff (and we were the only people in there) and learned they, too, were out of SS Sub Dates and had no waiting list. After about 45 minutes of chatting, the rep said, “excuse me for just one minute, I’ll be right back.” She came back with the manager we had been talking w also and two odd shaped packages. I now know these were the infamous coffins!

Popped the coffins and BAM. White Daytona 500ln and a Batman! I couldn’t believe it. I’m new to the hobby, but not so new that I didn’t know what just happened. I chose the Daytona, and think about the Batman daily. I’ll get one of those too one day, but the next Rolex in this house is going to the lady of the house. She fell in love w a Datejust 36 mm, and wants the mother of pearl dial with diamond numerals. I’ve since been back to the AD for some other jewelry repair work and appraisals. They have a customer for life (or as long as they are an AD ). Anyway, sorry for the long winded intro. I’ll upload a wrist shot after I get enough posts and I’m excited be here and learn from all of the expertise. Hopefully I’ll be able to contribute a useful nugget every now and then too!

Gipsy Danger
Gipsy Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 03:29 PM   #2
DrewYoung
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Hello, I am also new over here, I think instead of creating a new one, this is the great place to start with you all. I am Drew and very passionate about wearing a watch. Apart from this I am a bit enthusiastic about my fitness and like to plays games.
DrewYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 10:04 PM   #3
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Welcome to the forums, really interested to see these pictures since a Daytona to anyone off the street is unheard of.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 10:57 PM   #5
Gipsy Danger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
Welcome to the forums, really interested to see these pictures since a Daytona to anyone off the street is unheard of.
I know. I still can’t believe it. I just wish I was in a place to buy both on the spot. Of course it came with the box and papers and my name on the warranty card etc. I’ll get the post count up and get a pic.
Old 10 September 2019, 04:36 AM   #6
Gipsy Danger
"TRF" Member

Trying here for the pic.

Hope this works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C27B2918-044B-4DDB-8AB2-8D089C00094C.jpeg (63.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 10 September 2019, 09:54 AM   #7
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Welcome to the forum, Gypsy Danger.

Thanks for taking the time to post your nice story. Looks as though you happened upon a great AD.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 01:30 PM   #8
Gipsy Danger
"TRF" Member

Thanks Explorer. I definitely did. It’s a smaller outpost w population <150k. Interestingly, the phone rang off the hook while were there with people from out of town and out of state inquiring about availability. I asked if it was always like that and they said yes. They said they were out of everything for the phone callers. They said they had a guy in earlier in the week that tried to buy 5 watches out of the display and they refused because they knew he was a flipper. Regardless, I know I hit the jackpot w right place and right time. I’m sure there are people here that think I’m full of it and waiting to call me out on the classifieds forum. That won’t happen. Barring some unexpected life circumstance, I’ll never sell this watch and I look forward to giving it to my son one day when the time is right. In the meantime, I’m wearing it every day and loving every minute of it.
Old 11 September 2019, 06:12 PM   #9
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Welcome aboard~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 02:08 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Welcome!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote