The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 September 2019, 05:35 AM   #1
iRace559
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
SubC Service After 4 Years?!

I bought my SubC Date in May of 2015, just shy of the new 5 year warranty

I've more of less worn it every single day since, through all conditions and activities. Naturally, it's plenty dinged and scratched and has taken the occasional smack into a corner.

Last week, after wearing the watch all weekend I noticed that the watch had stopped. Naturally, i rotated the watch a bit to get it moving, but noticed a squeak coming from the rotor. I manually wound the watch and cautiously went on with my day. Every so often when moving my wrist I could hear the rotor squeaking or rubbing against something.

Didn't want to take any chances so I immediately went to RSC in NYC, and had them take a look. Of the bat they said there was a low power reserve and needed to be serviced.

Left it with them and got a lovely $1100 estimate the next day which included:

Full Service at $750 + tax
Crown Replacement at $87 + tax (Not sure why)
Optional - Crystal Replacement (had some chips and scratches) at $180 + tax

I went ahead and authorized them to start. Hopefully nothing else comes up during the actual service.

How often have you heard of service intervals like this for an everyday wear modern Rolex? Going forward I'm going to think twice about wearing it during any questionable activities.

At least I get the next four weeks to spend some time with my Speedy, and save up $1100
iRace559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 05:38 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Seem ridiculous to charge you for a crown unless it is damaged. Guess it is too late to question it, so just hope it comes back fine.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 06:40 AM   #3
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
Four years is more frequent than average, however it depends on whether its had “hard” wear. It sounds like it has. The crystal is an optional expense and that is your call. With similar wearing, it will chip again, so I wouldn’t do that one. Replacing the crown is now standard. I’ve had 5 Rolex watches with synthetic sapphire crystals and never chipped a crystal. However, I’ve had many customers with chipped crystals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 06:53 AM   #4
Fitzer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/16000
I like that you beat on it and that it isn't a box queen. It sucks that it died on you. I just got mine back from service after the same thing happened, but I couldn't help but think that my $200 Seiko has never skipped a beat, but that the Rolex decided to give up the ghost.

I think servicing is just part of the game when you are into these watches, the same way that an old Civic will go 100k+ on just oil changes, whereas a Ferrari will need an engine pulled probably a couple of times before it hits 15k miles.
Fitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Nelson6
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you've never used it for diving. There's your problem. That's what it's for. If you banged it against something hard enough to chip the crystal, you whacked it pretty good. And, it clearly doesn't like you.
Nelson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:21 PM   #6
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
A Rolex Submariner is supposed to stand the gaff, regardless. However having my share of that reference: 16610, 14060M, and 1680 red-I think the slower beat 18K watches might have been closer to the original dive tool watches. My 1680 has lasted 49 years original
owner-and it is scuffed, scratched and dented-using all 4 of purchased original extra crystals. It has been through military dive school, combat, and numerous parachute
jumps-also including multi-depth SCUBA work. {Real Submariners have drilled lugs-IMHO}

The 14060M with a caliber 3130-full balance bridge, Breguet overcoil combined with
KIF shock may be the closest to the earlier 5512/5513 references of 50 years ago-but better..
But every watch is a law unto itself. My 1680 was serviced only by non-RSC
but CW-21 Rolex watchmakers. Dial, crown, case and hands are original-thank goodness! I would trust P. Ridley and Rik Dietel.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war"-Plato
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:31 PM   #7
iRace559
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Four years is more frequent than average, however it depends on whether its had “hard” wear. It sounds like it has. The crystal is an optional expense and that is your call. With similar wearing, it will chip again, so I wouldn’t do that one. Replacing the crown is now standard. I’ve had 5 Rolex watches with synthetic sapphire crystals and never chipped a crystal. However, I’ve had many customers with chipped crystals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought about skipping the crystal but figured I might as well while it's apart.

I actually put a nice scratch across it the week after I bought it somehow. So it'll be nice to have it fresh again.
Old 14 September 2019, 11:34 PM   #8
iRace559
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson6 View Post
Sounds like you've never used it for diving. There's your problem. That's what it's for. If you banged it against something hard enough to chip the crystal, you whacked it pretty good. And, it clearly doesn't like you.
You've got me there. It's seen it's fair share of time at the beach and in the pool but I don't mess with the deep sea.
Old 14 September 2019, 11:38 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d like to hear more about your “questionable activities”
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:25 AM   #10
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRace559 View Post
I bought my SubC Date in May of 2015, just shy of the new 5 year warranty

I've more of less worn it every single day since, through all conditions and activities. Naturally, it's plenty dinged and scratched and has taken the occasional smack into a corner.

Last week, after wearing the watch all weekend I noticed that the watch had stopped. Naturally, i rotated the watch a bit to get it moving, but noticed a squeak coming from the rotor. I manually wound the watch and cautiously went on with my day. Every so often when moving my wrist I could hear the rotor squeaking or rubbing against something.

Didn't want to take any chances so I immediately went to RSC in NYC, and had them take a look. Of the bat they said there was a low power reserve and needed to be serviced.

Left it with them and got a lovely $1100 estimate the next day which included:

Full Service at $750 + tax
Crown Replacement at $87 + tax (Not sure why)
Optional - Crystal Replacement (had some chips and scratches) at $180 + tax

I went ahead and authorized them to start. Hopefully nothing else comes up during the actual service.

How often have you heard of service intervals like this for an everyday wear modern Rolex? Going forward I'm going to think twice about wearing it during any questionable activities.

At least I get the next four weeks to spend some time with my Speedy, and save up $1100

Wait, wouldn't the full service part of the quote be under warranty??
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:04 PM   #11
bfinta
"TRF" Member

i too am confused why they are charging for a service if its under warranty, or was the 5 year warranty not a thing in 2015?
bfinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:17 PM   #12
iRace559
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinta View Post
i too am confused why they are charging for a service if its under warranty, or was the 5 year warranty not a thing in 2015?

I bought my watch literally a month shy of the new 5 year warranty. My two year was only extended to three.

I brought it up to the person helping me out to see if maybe I’d get lucky and their response was “Well it wouldn’t matter anyway, the dings on the watch means their was impact so the warranty would no longer apply.”

Not gonna lie I almost flipped her the bird and walked out. Bit ridiculous IMO.
Old 16 September 2019, 11:27 PM   #13
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

The price sounds right. With a full service, I have found they always replace the crown. The crystal is optional. Four years seems a little early, but you heard damage. So, you’ve got to get that looked at. Keep wearing it. Let your watch live the life you live. Not the other way around.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:19 PM   #14
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinta View Post
Warranty does not mean all that much and a full service is not included anyway
Old 19 September 2019, 09:09 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Such is the cost of ownership and wear. They will service the watch and it will be back to you in great running order. No issues with the cost as it is a little bit more than $200 a year.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote