The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 September 2019, 11:35 AM   #31
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiomomesso View Post
Ok sorry.... damn scammer .. I didn’t knew where to post exactly,

Sorry again
It's ok, you're new, and didn't know
Old 5 September 2019, 01:52 PM   #32
saint777
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Thanks all. If he/she tries to contact you, or if you have there email please let me know. I can forward it to local police and FBI and try to catch him on a transaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saint777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 03:53 PM   #33
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Very sorry to hear that, hope it works out for you! Just changed my password to a much stronger one as a result of your thread!
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 06:53 PM   #34
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
The WTB is full of lurking thieves who have just what you are looking for.

I used it once and my inbox lit up in less than a day with people with low post counts from around the world who had just what I was looking for at a good ( too good ) price.

Use caution.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 10:51 PM   #35
Joeushki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint777 View Post
contacted FBI, local police and both banks involved. None of them are confident the money will be recovered.

The money was pulled out same day and from a complete different state.

Think twice before you wire any money. these punks are good.
Saint.. Im in the same situation.. Although my funds are supposdly frozen by BBVA.. They requested a Hold Harmless letter from my bank JP.. But JP denied providing it.. So I had to go through IC3.GOV, and the police.. Subpoena and such.. 14K for a BLNR BNIB..
Joeushki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 10:59 PM   #36
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
The WTB is full of lurking thieves who have just what you are looking for.

I used it once and my inbox lit up in less than a day with people with low post counts from around the world who had just what I was looking for at a good ( too good ) price.

Use caution.
Same. It happens on WUS too but they're somehow able to ID it. When I get a PM from a scammer, it's always followed up by a system message saying that person was a scammer and to not reply. Not sure how they're able to do it.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 12:59 AM   #37
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
I don't know what is going on, but i don't believe in a million years that Larry has nothing to do with this.
In fairness your double negatives look to be accusing when I think you meant to be defending Larry...at least I hope I’m right.

Sorry for what happened OP, and all the reason I would not wire funds to almost anyone!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 01:07 AM   #38
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
In fairness your double negatives look to be accusing when I think you meant to be defending Larry...at least I hope I’m right.

You are right, Robear !
I am defending Larry, but these things can happen when English is not your first language. I should use "anything" instead of "nothing" in the second part of my sentence.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 11:47 AM   #39
chessers
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, PP 5227G
I received an email from (fake) Larry regarding a piece I was looking for, asking me to email him directly.

I decided to PM him, rather than email and never heard anything back.

Lucky escape!

OP - I hope you managed to get your money back.
chessers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 01:59 PM   #40
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
I have always said, "Never wire money". I dont care who you are or what reputation you or they think they have. As a buy you need to have some protection. If Ia buyer pulled some scam stunt with a CC or paypal the Seller would be able to get the identifiers of the buyer to file a case against them. Besides I read of more wire scams than I do of Paypal or CC scams.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 02:08 PM   #41
Mills_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I've banned his account for now so no one else gets ripped off. It's good to report this stuff directly to mods/admin so we can act on it ASAP.
@Old Expat Beast, what is the best way to report things directly to the moderator team? I couldn't find a report button in the "For Sale" forum and sent a private message to mailman who created the post on the rules. He never responded and the post in question remained as is.
Mills_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 07:41 AM   #42
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills_ View Post
@Old Expat Beast, what is the best way to report things directly to the moderator team? I couldn't find a report button in the "For Sale" forum and sent a private message to mailman who created the post on the rules. He never responded and the post in question remained as is.
It's this icon.

Capture.JPG
Old 11 September 2019, 07:59 AM   #43
Mills_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
It's this icon.

Attachment 1069588
Thanks very much!
Mills_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 01:30 AM   #44
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Crazy, I used to live across the street (no joke) from the 'home address' in the OP
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 05:02 AM   #45
CMSgt Bo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Same. It happens on WUS too but they're somehow able to ID it. When I get a PM from a scammer, it's always followed up by a system message saying that person was a scammer and to not reply. Not sure how they're able to do it.
That's not a system message, it comes directly from me after a thorough investigation. We usually rely on member reports to initially identify bad actors, but we also physically screen all new member accounts for known scammer IP ranges and email addresses. It's laborious work (we average 100 new members a day) but it pays dividends in the end.

Be aware that too many members use the same username and password across multiple communities, so a hacked account here could mean a hacking has occurred on the members TZ and WUS accounts too.
CMSgt Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 05:05 AM   #46
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
That's not a system message, it comes directly from me after a thorough investigation. We usually rely on member reports to initially identify bad actors, but we also physically screen all new member accounts for known scammer IP ranges and email addresses. It's laborious work (we average 100 new members a day) but it pays dividends in the end.

Be aware that too many members use the same username and password across multiple communities, so a hacked account here could mean a hacking has occurred on the members TZ and WUS accounts too.
Damn, really? The few times its happened, the messages were only a couple minutes apart. You're fast!!

I actually reached out via WUS PM and got a reply that they reached out to the mods here. But it's possible that was the scammer as well, assuming both accounts were compromised.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 05:41 AM   #47
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Usually a bank can pull back the wire transfer if it was fraud. What did they tell you?

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 02:11 PM   #48
saint777
"TRF" Member

It is under investigation by both banks. I had to get a police report and a FBI report. They said it can take 10 days to 3 months for the investigation and they don’t if I will get the money back. The punk withdrew the money the same day from a different state.
Old 13 September 2019, 01:18 AM   #49
blada4life
"TRF" Member

SCAMMED for $9K by someone who is using lhanddds account

I’ve been told it doesn’t matter. That all banks now have agreements with each other and if fraud is involved it’s ultimately on the bank that released the final funds. Each transaction has a unique reference number. The final bank has the con artists contact info and ID in theory so it should be on them.

I’ve had money transferred out of my account and found out all of this info. I had $13k back within a week after I discovered it.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 02:51 AM   #50
JBZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
I’ve had money transferred out of my account and found out all of this info. I had $13k back within a week after I discovered it.

I don't know the entire context of your incident, but there's a difference between money being transferred out of someone's account without consent and someone willingly wiring money to someone else. In the first instance, I can understand the bank being liable. In the second, I don't think that's the case.

Bottomline (and I'm sorry this happened to the OP), be very careful before you wire money to anyone.
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 06:10 AM   #51
chris6625
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Date II
He tried to scam me as well for a Yachtmaster II. I knew it was fishy and reported him to moderator.
chris6625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 04:09 AM   #52
camchannell
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Yep. I got a PM from username ”camchannell” also. He was trying to sell an F.P. Journe CB.

Hello BigAppleBill. I’m so sorry for you having to deal with this. This is the REAL Cameron Channell. I’ve been working with admins to clean up the mess this jackass created by reaching out to people posing as me. My account just finally got re-instated yesterday, so I’m trying to make good with anyone this guy contacted. For anyone else reading this, my posts ALWAYS contain my personal cell number (530-233-6805) & my personal email address (camchannell@hotmail.com). ANY other info outside of those please report it to admins and or to me directly. Again I’m sorry to anyone this guy may have scammed.

camchannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 04:14 AM   #53
camchannell
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Sigh, another member who has excellent feedback on both this site and WUS getting their good name dragged by these scammers.

As the person who’s account was hacked, this is the REAL Cameron Channell, I couldn’t agree more. I started getting responses about watches I didn’t have. I immediately let them know not to deal with whoever this guy was. A couple of the TRF members who were contacted helped me pin down the email address the scammer was using. And Admins helped me lock down my account until we could get it all sorted out. My account was just finally re-instated yesterday. Seriously PISSES me off. I’ve worked very hard to build a good reputation here. So for anyone reading this please note, my posts ALWAYS contain my personal cell number (530-233-6805) and my personal email address (camchannell@hotmail.com). If anyone ever contacts you posing as me, make sure those are the contact methods being used. And I apologize to anyone this a-hole May have scammed under my name. I believe we caught it before that happened. I pray that’s the case.

Old 25 September 2019, 04:18 AM   #54
camchannell
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint777 View Post
Better pictures

Hello saint777, this is the REAL Cameron Channell. I’m so sorry for any problems this hacker may have caused. I’ve been working with Admin to get my account re-instated, which just finally happened yesterday, and I’m trying to reach out to anyone this jerk may have contacted posing as me. I’ve worked hard to build a good reputation here and I’m very sorry for any problems this jackass may have caused. All of my posts ALWAYS contain my personal cell number (530-233-6805) and my personal email address (camchannell@hotmail.com). If anyone ever tries to contact you again using any other info than those. Please let the admins know immediately, and I’d appreciate a heads up too. Again I’m sorry for any damage this idiot may have caused.

Old 25 September 2019, 04:38 AM   #55
healer
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this happen to you. It’s a reminder to most of us that wire transfer is the worst way of paying someone. Face to face only that’s the only way.
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 11:01 AM   #56
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog359 View Post
I have always said, "Never wire money". I dont care who you are or what reputation you or they think they have. As a buy you need to have some protection. If Ia buyer pulled some scam stunt with a CC or paypal the Seller would be able to get the identifiers of the buyer to file a case against them. Besides I read of more wire scams than I do of Paypal or CC scams.
Payment by wire is just something you should never consider. The best way to protect members in this forum from future scams like this one would be to ban this method of payment. Period.

In the end its down to the individual, personally payment by wire makes my blood run cold, it always has and therefore I have never used this method.
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 12:19 PM   #57
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterquartz17000 View Post
Payment by wire is just something you should never consider. The best way to protect members in this forum from future scams like this one would be to ban this method of payment. Period.

In the end its down to the individual, personally payment by wire makes my blood run cold, it always has and therefore I have never used this method.
We can give warnings until we’re blue in the face but we can’t “ban” methods of payment. Your last paragraph pretty much covers it.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 12:31 PM   #58
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchannell View Post
Hello BigAppleBill. I’m so sorry for you having to deal with this. This is the REAL Cameron Channell. I’ve been working with admins to clean up the mess this jackass created by reaching out to people posing as me. My account just finally got re-instated yesterday, so I’m trying to make good with anyone this guy contacted. For anyone else reading this, my posts ALWAYS contain my personal cell number (530-233-6805) & my personal email address (camchannell@hotmail.com). ANY other info outside of those please report it to admins and or to me directly. Again I’m sorry to anyone this guy may have scammed.

Hey! Good to know you’re back! It’s all good. I wasn’t scammed. Thanks for the nice note!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 03:32 PM   #59
saint777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchannell View Post
Hello saint777, this is the REAL Cameron Channell. I’m so sorry for any problems this hacker may have caused. I’ve been working with Admin to get my account re-instated, which just finally happened yesterday, and I’m trying to reach out to anyone this jerk may have contacted posing as me. I’ve worked hard to build a good reputation here and I’m very sorry for any problems this jackass may have caused. All of my posts ALWAYS contain my personal cell number (530-233-6805) and my personal email address (camchannell@hotmail.com). If anyone ever tries to contact you again using any other info than those. Please let the admins know immediately, and I’d appreciate a heads up too. Again I’m sorry for any damage this idiot may have caused.

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the post. I figured out it was a scam after i checked your email and compared it with the scammers.

I had 2 other scammers contact me regarding the watch i have been looking for which i posted. I started a conversation with them, then forward it to the detective i have been in contact with. I hope they get caught.