The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 March 2012, 03:03 PM   #31
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
Great thread! Personally I would hope Rolex stays out of the complications business simply because that would mean trouble for my wallet! Some of these items pictured are on my looooooong list of unobtainable grails, as discussed with my mentor to find someone who will sell theirs outside of Christies would be like seeing a rose grow out of concrete!
My next watch is a ROO Chrono Panda. The search really got me into this. Still trying to make myself spend $25+k for a SS watch.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 05:05 PM   #32
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Very true but that can also be seen as not trying to improve and evolve. I guess complacency is the word.
I don't think that deciding to focus on doing one or just a few things very well is an example of complacency. A prime example of a company that strives for excellence in what it does versus trying to be all things to all consumers in the market is In-N-Out.

Quote:
I think they make so much money even if the idea was a complete failure (which I don't see possible) it couldn't hurt them.
Maybe you should put your own capital at risk if you are so certain of the idea's financial success in the market and you clearly don't think Rolex knows what it is doing with its privately owned capital.
Old 6 March 2012, 05:23 PM   #33
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Maybe you should put your own capital at risk if you are so certain of the idea's financial success in the market and you clearly don't think Rolex knows what it is doing with its privately owned capital.
Yea well if I was in-charge of the Rolex nameship I might. Why get upset about it. Let me ask you a question. Do you really think if Rolex puts their name on a watch it would have any chance of failing????

Ps don't get do upset about things.
Old 6 March 2012, 05:24 PM   #34
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
For the Cellini line, why not? But a complicated watch is more fragile so it would not suit the Oyster line IMO.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 05:35 PM   #35
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
For the Cellini line, why not? But a complicated watch is more fragile so it would not suit the Oyster line IMO.
I agree. No oyster line. Use some other case. I don't think Rolex has a case for a true complication. I'm just saying yes complications are tough to create but a company like Rolex could create a complication by hiring some undergrad with computer degree.

Again I don't care. Just trying to make it interesting.
Old 6 March 2012, 06:15 PM   #36
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Check this out.

I think this would be a cool watch to resurrect.

This is a complicated watch in an Oyster case

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 09:30 PM   #37
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Check this out.

I think this would be a cool watch to resurrect.

This is a complicated watch in an Oyster case

But it doesn't have screw-down pushers. Is it then an Oyster case in the meaning that it should be water proof?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 09:41 PM   #38
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I think if done correctly this could be a good thing for Rolex. After all the YMII has a unique complication all it's own.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 12:43 AM   #39
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
After all the YMII has a unique complication all it's own.
The problem here is that it is a complication that no one uses for its intended purpose. I suppose one could use it when boiling eggs or cooking pasta
Old 7 March 2012, 01:24 AM   #40
Maxfli
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
The history of business is littered with the remains of failed brand extensions. It only makes sense if A) there's a sufficient market for it, AND B) competition is either nonexistent, highly vulnerable or not meeting the demand.

The market for luxury grand complications will always stay relatively small due to price, and the demand that's there now is being ably met by more established players. So I don't think Rolex is being complacent. They're just being smart marketers.

"Do what you do, better than anybody else" is a solid business strategy that'll make a company rich.
Old 7 March 2012, 05:42 PM   #41
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Rolex is a model A, built to last, nothing fancy, works well, should never have a display back. It has been the key to the success.

Rolex has not substantially changed the design of the base model in nearly thirty years. There are a couple of exceptions; the 4130 chronograph movement after LVMH would no longer sell them chronograph movements for their Daytona, and the one complication they do make the YM II.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 05:47 PM   #42
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
no. i like them the way it is. they rule the sports watch world
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 08:10 PM   #43
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post

But it doesn't have screw-down pushers. Is it then an Oyster case in the meaning that it should be water proof?
I didn't really mean that that particular watch should be put back into production.

A new model would of course include the complications of that watch with all the available current technology to make it a thoroughly modern classic, much like the 14060M--retro styling, modern technology.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 03:26 AM   #44
liuk3
"TRF" Member

OP can now do a Rolex case study on a new watch with complications aka Sky Dweller. I'm sure Rolex sunk a bunch of money into the R&D of the new piece. Let's see how profitable to develop watches with more complications. We'll see if it sells and whether the money spent developing it was worth it...
Old 8 March 2012, 03:50 AM   #45
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
OP can now do a Rolex case study on a new watch with complications aka Sky Dweller. I'm sure Rolex sunk a bunch of money into the R&D of the new piece. Let's see how profitable to develop watches with more complications. We'll see if it sells and whether the money spent developing it was worth it...
I'm predicting it will sell. The Asian and middle eastern markets will eat this up. Not For me but its a pretty cool watch. It's not the 1900's anymore. Most of the design is done on a computer. Creating the parts isn't an issue for Rolex. I'm guessing they will spend more on marketing the watch than what it cost to actually devolop it. Everything Rolex does is calculated. They don't make many flops. Even if it doesn't appeal to the masses I'm not sure any $50k watch is going to. The people that can spend that on a watch probably don't value the true meaning of that much money like the avg Rolex owner.
Old 8 March 2012, 04:30 AM   #46
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm predicting it will sell. The Asian and middle eastern markets will eat this up. Not For me but its a pretty cool watch. It's not the 1900's anymore. Most of the design is done on a computer. Creating the parts isn't an issue for Rolex. I'm guessing they will spend more on marketing the watch than what it cost to actually devolop it. Everything Rolex does is calculated. They don't make many flops. Even if it doesn't appeal to the masses I'm not sure any $50k watch is going to. The people that can spend that on a watch probably don't value the true meaning of that much money like the avg Rolex owner.
I think that it will be a tough sell at that price point given the competition from other makes/models in the same range...

But, at least they are still trying to move forward from a technological standpoint.