The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2016, 07:17 PM   #91
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
If you had no prior knowledge of the history of the watch, why didn't you just send it to a RSC in the first place???

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 07:30 PM   #92
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
I can understand the OP's frustration. I have recently acquired a watch with faulty minute chrono wheel. I got recommendation of local watchmaker who charged half of what the official service center. I decided to take it to the latter. It cost around 600usd but worth it, even though the polish job was not so good.

Point is, if buy used, there is always possibility of the watch being defective. You have to factor in cost of service on top of price you pay for the watch.

If you bought it new, then i would be pissed just like you. More so if i know how careful i was with watch. But shat happens. Just have to deal with it no matter how good a brand is. So far with the rolex i owned, it has been a reliable watch. You could always venture out try different brands. It may not be rolex but there r others..
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 09:04 PM   #93
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Why would I want to support a company that doesn't support me?
I agree. I think if you give it to your mom, it will still bug you every time you see it. Get it fixed by the rsc, and then you can sell it as "serviced" and minimize your losses.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 09:05 PM   #94
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Sorry, but the bezel assembly does *need* to be installed with a press. That member posted some misinformation.
You're correct. It's the insert that has to be pressed into the bezel itself, not the bezel assembly onto the case

Quote:
It pops right off and goes right back on. I just did it and snapped some pics.

Bezel off using thin knife blade.

The worn out click.

Bezel back on.

There's also a Delrin retaining ring that has to be replaced every time the bezel is removed and installed. Last I knew Rolex wouldn't sell the part to an independent who has a parts account. That could have changed.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...hlight=ceramic
Old 23 July 2016, 09:05 PM   #95
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookish View Post
If you had no prior knowledge of the history of the watch, why didn't you just send it to a RSC in the first place???
You should read the entire thread. He doesn't like to ship stuff.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 09:45 PM   #96
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I paid $7200 for this watch, I think I've earned the right to an opinion. My problem at present is that I can't buy a bezel click anywhere for this watch. It will have to go back to a watch repair shop. Ultimately, it's my fault for not doing my due diligence before plunking down my money. I saw lots of parts available for the 16610's and just assumed it was the same situation for the 116610. Mea Culpa.

Yeah, I made a big mistake taking it to the local shop that came highly recommended here. I paid a Rolex Tax, and didn't get what I paid for. I own that. But that's a separate issue.

If I sent this watch to an RSC... I pretty much can guess what will happen. They will want to perform a service. The mood I'm in....I'm not throwing more money at the problem. My Mom can have it and I'll wear one of my other watches until I run across something that appeals to me again..... not just in brand name, but in ease of ownership.

I've seen the car analogy mentioned in this thread. Couldn't be farther from reality. I can go down to the Mercedes dealer and buy any part I need for either of my cars, and they don't make me have them, or anyone on a special *list*, install it. I'm not a crook trying to buy a genuine dial so I can build a fake and sell it on ebay. I'm just an honest hard working guy that bought a Rolex.

Why would I want to support a company that doesn't support me?
Get a refund from Houston for poor work and then pay RSC.

You are obviously aware that Rolexes and esp Subs are the most faked watches in the entire world, so Rolex have the policy on parts that they do. We all don't like it but it is their right to try to protect the integrity of the brand.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 09:55 PM   #97
RKTudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 79090 blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I know how you feel. I bought a new Breitling once and it needed service within the first month. When it came back it was somehow never the same and I sold it.

I bought a new Omega Ploprof and it had a defect we didn't notice until I had it for a week. My local AD exchanged it for me and I still have and love the watch.

My Daytona had some gunk on the dial. I wore it for 1.9 years and then sent it in for service under warranty. That was my 10 year anniversary watch so it is very special to me.

My point is that a great watch can retain bad feelings like that. The same way a crappy watch that was handed down by a parent might hold positive feelings.

Rolex is by no means perfect. But in my experience none of them are as I outlined above.

If the watch makes you angry every time you look at it then flip it. I'm sure you'll buy another one someday and maybe it will be a keeper.

I wish you luck whatever you choose.

Such a good point about watches retaining feelings. Such a frustrating situation when you WANT to love a piece but can't.
RKTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 10:06 PM   #98
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
I know you guys have been on him to go to the RSC...they have screwed stuff up too. It happens but it what they do after if there is an issue matters.

If the watch is out of reasonable regulation within a year any reputable CW21 watch maker would make it right.

You sure you didn't bump or drop that watch...hard shocks can throw a watch off.

That click issue should be fixed no question by the watch maker.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 05:19 AM   #99
Greg G
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
You're correct. It's the insert that has to be pressed into the bezel itself, not the bezel assembly onto the case

There's also a Delrin retaining ring that has to be replaced every time the bezel is removed and installed. Last I knew Rolex wouldn't sell the part to an independent who has a parts account. That could have changed.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...hlight=ceramic

The o-ring stays on the case when you remove the bezel. I carefully remove it from the case and install it back into its groove inside the bezel. Then the bezel pops right down with not much pressure. It's good to know how to do this procedure especially if a guy wears his watch a lot outdoors in a dusty environment. It's good to know how to do light maintenance on these.

I apologize for saying you posted misinformation. That was a little harsh.

GradyPhilpott
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 05:26 AM   #100
Greg G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Greg, I read all your posts very carefully.

What exactly did you want from me?
From you....not a thing. Except for maybe a little civility.

GradyPhilpott
Old 24 July 2016, 05:41 AM   #101
solo-act
"TRF" Member

Agreed with others on RSC if it's not vintage needing preserved. One thought is maybe RSC services a purchase first, so get any factory parts required, and then that buys you time to thoroughly vet a local who take over maintenance from there until you need factory parts again. Just thinking out loud.
solo-act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 09:47 AM   #102
Greg G
"TRF" Member

The o-ring on the case after bezel removal.

The o-ring itself.

Re-installed in its groove in the bezel.

GradyPhilpott