The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2016, 10:25 PM   #1
WatchMeRun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 116333
Considering Rubber Strap for Hulk

Me and my Hulk have had a decent relationship over the past 2.5 years. Some days I love it and there are other days that I wish I would have went with a black dial. I am also fortunate to own a TT DJ2 to rotate. I've always had an affinity for rubber straps (Panerai, Breitling, etc.). I also LOVE the oyster Rolex bracelet, but as of recent thought about switching it out for a nice rubber strap. For those that have done it, I have a few questions:

1. What has your experience been like?

2. Is there any risk of damaging my watch switching it out? I could see using the rubber strap during Spring/Summer, oyster bracelet during fall/winter. It won't be switched often.

3. What brand do you recommend?

4. Can you please post pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WatchMeRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 10:28 PM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
1. I recommend everest rubber straps. They are superior to rubberB imo in terms of comfort. Most seem to agree.

2. No risk of harming the watch. Tape up the lugs before you remove the bracelet to prevent scratch marks.

3. I prefer the tang buckle version. Not a fan of using the clasp, and much more difficult to change out.

Good luck.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 10:30 PM   #3
sholzer
"TRF" Member

1. Never owned one, but have thought about picking one up for my Sub
2. You might scratch the lugs up a little when swapping straps, it happens but can be prevented
3. Everest and Rubber B are the two best options from what I've seen, maybe an overall edge to Everest
sholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I totally agree with everything Josh said above.

I'll add though that I never really warmed up to any other strap on my hulk but the oyster bracelet it was made for. Trust me I played around with every option out there. As much as I love the green bezel and dial, to me it just clashes with almost any other color (as far as straps go not the clothing we wear).

here are some pics of my Hulk on an Everest tang strap...

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 11:53 PM   #5
WatchMeRun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 116333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

I'll add though that I never really warmed up to any other strap on my hulk but the oyster bracelet it was made for. Trust me I played around with every option out there. As much as I love the green bezel and dial, to me it just clashes with almost any other color (as far as straps go not the clothing we wear).

Thank so much. Great looking strap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WatchMeRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 12:09 AM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i love straps and switch them constantly on my PAM and sometimes on my DJ, but, with the LVc, i just think the brushed SS oyster bracelet looks best by far with the case, lugs, bezel and dial. i have yet to see a strap (rubber or leather) that made me go "wow".

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 12:52 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMeRun View Post
1. What has your experience been like?
Ceramic 'tona RG has Rubber B top line with dual red side stitching and it is a bit stiff yet ok. Kept the stock clasp and needed a notching tool. Took more work to make work yet is ok. Makes the 'tona look less formal and nice for hot summer activates such as the pool, etc. Stock leather strap is formal, and not really 'perfect' for water sports and outside summer activities.

Ceramic Sub ND has the Everest with their clasp and that is the daily beater. Softer band, more comfortable too than the Rubber B, yet durability of them both appear to be the same. Really enjoy the lower weight of the Sub ND with rubber strap and visuals over the stock metal bracelet.

Quote:
2. Is there any risk of damaging my watch switching it out? I could see using the rubber strap during Spring/Summer, oyster bracelet during fall/winter. It won't be switched often.
There is always risk. Once you have experience it is quite easy to do. Use a good pin tool and you should be fine. Yes I have the Bergeon single tool yet I prefer using the one that handles both sides of the spring bar http://www.esslinger.com/horofix-wat...ers-band-tool/

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 03:04 AM   #8
hornchurch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 11
Rubber on an LV.....no..

Stay with the oyster...imho.
hornchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 03:26 AM   #9
RobJordan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea/Daytona C
I have a Rubber B on my Deepsea and I really like the quality and look. They have a black strap for the Sub with a thin green stripe that I think looks cool on the LV.
RobJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 04:24 AM   #10
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Another vote for Everest here, very impressed with the quality and comfort. I have not put it in my LV yet, but here are some pics on my 114060.

**Top notch customer service as well**
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 05:26 AM   #11
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornchurch View Post
Rubber on an LV.....no..

Stay with the oyster...imho.
+1
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 08:26 AM   #12
Maxfli
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
I've worn my Sub on Isofrane rubber almost exclusively over the past 5 years and much prefer it to the bracelet (heresy, I know!).

It's really a matter of personal taste. You won't know where your taste lies until you try one.

Old 22 July 2016, 10:30 PM   #13
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I agree with Josh - tape up the lugs to ensure you don't scratch them when using the springbar tool to remove the springbars.

I've put the Zuludiver 328 rubber NATOs on my Hulk and they're comfortable and look well matched (to my eyes anyway). They are a two piece rubber NATO strap and they come in green and camo green, and are made of Italian rubber (so it has that vanilla scent).

I got mine from Watch Gecko. Quick shipping and well priced relative to a Everest or RubberB, so I'm happy with them. They feel sturdier and more comfortable compared to the nylon NATOs I've worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.6 KB, 235 views)
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 10:41 PM   #14
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
I've had a RB and the Everest on a Sub, and prefer the comfort of the Everest but slighlty more the look of the RB (especially the Vulchromatic series just wish they would offer more accent colours)

I only had the RB for a couple of months so I'm not sure if it requires a little bedding in!

For the LV I would go RB Vulchromatic, here's a few pics (can't find any live shots of it on an LV)

SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 05:56 AM   #15
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneecough View Post
Another vote for Everest here, very impressed with the quality and comfort. I have not put it in my LV yet, but here are some pics on my 114060.

**Top notch customer service as well**
I've been considering a rubber strap for my 114060 for a little while now. Glad to hear you've had a positive experience
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 04:42 PM   #16
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

That really looks great!

What is your wrist size? I have an 8" wrist and am worried that the Everest may be too short.
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote