The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2017, 07:21 PM   #1
SPECTRUM001
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXPLORER 1
Explorer 14270 dial

Hello,

Whilst I have been reading this and other forums (eg TZUK) for some time, I have only just joined up - so, "Hi everybody" !!

I have been a long term Explorer fan, and used to own a nice 1964 Super Precision 5500 - sadly I had to sell it quite a few years ago.

In recent years I have been wearing an IWC Mark XII - which I really like. But my love for the Explorer has never gone (how could it ??!!), and I am thinking of getting a "vintage" 14270.

Many of the examples I have seen in London are quite tired, banged up with streched bracelets etc, although I have found a U series (sold in 1999) that appears in very good shape ("swiss" marking on the dial), with papers, box and very clean unstretched bracelet. The only thing bothering me are some very fine razor like hairline marks either on the inside of the glass or the dial. You can only see them when the watch catches the bright light in certain angles - but they are there.

If these on the dial then I would imagine they are permanent, however if on the glass, that's fine, as I would hope they will come off with a wipe at the next service (perhaps they are on the inside of the glass and look like they are on the dial as an optical illusion ?).

Does anyone know of anything similar ? If these very fine scratches are on the dial, would this be deemed quyite common, and normal tolerance for Rolex (ie is it something that could have been there from inception - and am I likely to find them on other examples, or would they have been made by poor quality non Rolex servicing ?) ?

Being high gloss, I can imagine the dial would mark very easily, so not sure if I am being really picky, or whether I should be striving for perfection with an Explorer that is actually under 20 years old...

Appreciate this is rather long winded - however would be very interested in some thoughts...

thanks - Jeremy
SPECTRUM001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 12:32 PM   #2
brand_c
"TRF" Member

Shouldnt be super hard finding a 14270 in good condition right? Here in the States there are plenty in the secondary market in pretty good condition.

I think HQmilton has a couple...
brand_c is offline   Reply With Quote