The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 December 2017, 07:04 AM   #1
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Rectangular chronograph buttons

please educate me , i understand how screw in type buttons are fitted , , basically a tube screwed into the case which holds the stem with the pusher , but how the rectangular ones are fitted -the ones where the button slides INTO the case , here s a pic from patek obviously w/o the answer to my question

is there a "hole" in the case which holds the tube and let the pusher sliding in ?

thanks

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 07:17 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

There is a cutout in the shape of the pusher. Then a hole with tube for the actual pusher mechanism that is in touch with the movement.

The round pusher just screws on to the underside of the square pusher. Basically works the same as a regular pump-pusher, just with a different button and case cutout.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 07:19 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Actually that picture answers the question. You only need to imagine a rectangular cutout with a round hole in the middle. It fits right in.
Old 21 December 2017, 04:48 PM   #4
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls

thanks,
found a good pic it shows the details better it shows how the tube sits in the hole (actually that was OQ) , and other thing Geneva Seal doesn t allow the use of wire springs (I know PP has its own seal but still) am I right that these buttons on the pic are operated without those ?how they return into their original position with a leaf spring ?also i don t see the "rod" which is screwed underside to the button like on the regular chrono pusher , is it a safe assumptio that these pusher are glued press fitted into the case and a "tube" inside moves back and forth?sorry for too many questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Actually that picture answers the question. You only need to imagine a rectangular cutout with a round hole in the middle. It fits right in.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2017, 02:22 AM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

I wish I could take a 5980 from the stock to show you, but sadly I cannot be of help.
Old 24 December 2017, 03:36 AM   #6
unreformed66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
There is a cutout in the shape of the pusher. Then a hole with tube for the actual pusher mechanism that is in touch with the movement.

The round pusher just screws on to the underside of the square pusher. Basically works the same as a regular pump-pusher, just with a different button and case cutout.
Exactly. Until you get into vintage chronographs where the pusher is not part of the case but just passes through the hole in the side of the case. Those have a slot cut out of the pusher stem and are held to the movement by the operating levers much in the way a regular stem is held in with the detent. You unscrew the operating lever, put the pusher in place, and screw the operating lever screw back down with the lever in the slot in the pusher stem. And yes, they can be fiddly to work with sometimes.
unreformed66 is offline   Reply With Quote