The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 January 2018, 04:31 AM   #1
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

Sky Dweller vs GMT Master

I just read a very good review of the Sky Dweller on Hodinkee. I guess this is supposed to replace the GMT and add a dubious feature in the annual calendar. The rotating bezel as a way of selecting what the winding crown adjusted also seemed like a fun toy. And the watch might be considered a cleaner package than the old GMT. But the old GMT seemed to get it all done and stay at 38mm while the Sky Dweller (for fashion not function) explodes to 41mm. And as history has shown, mechanically simple is more robust than mechanically complex. The biggest positive in the review that stood out for me is the praise of the build quality of all the elements in the watch. The reviewer also discussed how blingy the precious metal versions felt...but that seems more a reflection of the bloated size. If the watch had stayed at the 38mm size of the original GMT it might have been so overwhelming.

The Sky Dweller and the GMT seem to be perfect subjects in comparing the old vs the new. Another article in Hodinkee was on Smart watches but I could see no value in reading it. I simply glanced at my 43 year old 1013 and realized how the design is still not obsolete, nor using any electrical energy to recharge its batteries every night.
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 04:39 AM   #2
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
But the old GMT seemed to get it all done and stay at 38mm while the Sky Dweller (for fashion not function) explodes to 41mm.
I believe GMTs have always been 40mm. At least the ones I've had!
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 05:06 AM   #3
farscott
"TRF" Member

I wore a two-tone GMT II for more than twenty years, and I traveled quite often. By quite often, I mean I was home less than sixty days a year for more than one year. I was in multiple time zones, if not continents, per week, and I used the GMT to figure out when to schedule meetings with attendees from multiple time zones.

In the days before laptops, the annual calendar feature would have been a godsend. It was quite easy to lose track of the month after being gone for ten weeks or so. With laptops and smart phones, the need is not so pressing. Still being able to look at a watch and get the proper month, day of the month (date), and time is invaluable to a frequent traveler as a lot of agencies do not allow the use of smart phones.

I never used the rotating bezel feature of the GMT II, and I like fluted bezels. If I was still travelling like I once did, I would buy a two-tone Sky Dweller 326933 without a second thought as I consider it a better tool for how I use a timepiece while travelling. I do wish it was a bit smaller as the 40-mm GMT II was more than big enough for me.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 05:21 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It's just too big. These watches look ridiculous.

I could never wear anything that drew that much attention to me.

I used to think the current Daytona was big...comparatively it looks like a bubbleback.

I know for the 6' 5" 275 lb guy this may not be the case but come on...are you your watch? It's just awful to me. Sorry.

It's cool functions if it were 3/4 the size.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 05:25 AM   #5
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Over the last decade, Rolex has transitioned to being bigger, heavier and flashier, and I'd guess it's in part to justify doubling prices vs. inflation, but the new stuff is of no interest to me.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Over the last decade, Rolex has transitioned to being bigger, heavier and flashier, and I'd guess it's in part to justify doubling prices vs. inflation, but the new stuff is of no interest to me.
My sentiments entirely.😇
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 02:32 PM   #7
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Porsche did something similar when it imagined/produced the 928, supposing it would replace the 911.

Although the 928 was "better" in many ways, it didn't happen as Porsche envisioned, and the Skydweller will likewise never replace the GMT Master.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 03:39 AM   #8
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Porsche did something similar when it imagined/produced the 928, supposing it would replace the 911.

Although the 928 was "better" in many ways, it didn't happen as Porsche envisioned, and the Skydweller will likewise never replace the GMT Master.
Oddly enough, over time, the 991, being so large and luxurious, has now essentially become the 928, outside of engine placement.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote