The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 January 2018, 04:56 AM   #1
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Lady’s Datejust 6917 crown winding question.

Hello, I have searched the internet and this forum for the answer to my question, no concrete success as of yet.

A couple of years ago I bought my wife a used Lady Datejust 6917. Using information found on this amazing site, I have made the following assumptions. The Bracelet has an F identification pointing in the direction of the watch being a 1981 vintage thus a 2035 movement.

I recently bought her an Apple Watch for Christmas and she is now wearing it so I wound her Datejust up and put it on my watchwinder. When I was manually winding it, the crown seemed very tight as in hard to move relative to all my other watches and there was a vibration that felt like a mass moving inside the movement. My guess is the flywheel was spinning as I was winding the watch. My Rolex Explorer II does not have this type of motion when I wind it.

This made me fear that I had bought a fake. Can anyone with knowledge of the 2035 movement confirm or deny that the flywheel or any other moderate mass inside the movement spins when handwinding a 6917 causing a vibration?

I would very truly appreciate any help the from the great expertise assembled on this forum. Thank you for reading my first thread.
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 01:50 AM   #2
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
This could be caused if the reversing wheels are failing and the rotor is spinning while you wind the watch. A service should take care of both the spinning and tight winding. Take it in for an estimate and you'll also know if it's real or fake.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 09:29 AM   #3
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Good plan, and thank you for your help!
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote